Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull v Charlton | Saturday 20th June |Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Sending you a big hug @NapaAddick.  I am sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    8 points from 8 games would be enough to hit the 50 point target.

Unfortunately, this season, I don't think it'll be enough.
    It could be but realistically i think 52 points might be needed.

It'd mean Hull needing to win 4 of their last 8. Barnsley needing to win 5 of their last 8. i can't see that happening.

Still amazed by Wigan's turnaround, they were dead and buried. Now on a run of 6 wins and 3 draws from their last 10 games.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dave2l said:

You're right, but I think we'll get another 10 points minimum of the remaining 26 available.

No I'm not getting carried away after a 1-0 win... I'm always this deluded.

I predicted 58 points at the start of the season, given the injury crisis etc 52 points would be a great effort.
    Mr pedantic here, only 24 points left to play for 🤓
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dave2l said:

You're right, but I think we'll get another 10 points minimum of the remaining 26 available.

No I'm not getting carried away after a 1-0 win... I'm always this deluded.

I predicted 58 points at the start of the season, given the injury crisis etc 52 points would be a great effort.
    Mr pedantic here, only 24 points left to play for 🤓
    Doh! Of course you're right. I'll happily have 10 of 24. Would prefer 12 of 24
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that @NapaAddick
  • Options
    Condolences @NapaAddick
  • Options
    To everyone who wished me well... thank you.
    Mom passed 30 minutes after the match ended. Watching the thread and getting a crucial win was a great diversion from a long week.
    Dad passed much the same, 6 years ago. I am glad we brought her home the last week, as no visitors are allowed in hospitals right now due to Covid. Her two brothers were also in town. It’s been quite a year. 
    We are staying up, we are staying up!!!!
    condolences napa, may she RIP
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your sad news @NapaAddick ,  My condolences.

From watching the highlights Hull had a few chances early on. Our own chances were better and the important thing we took one of them and kept a clean sheet. This is a massive win for us, if we could get back to back wins by beating QPR we would be getting very close to the finishing line to safety. 

Hull have been in free fall and I don't think are getting out of it.  Middlesbro' looked decent against us but also now have problems at the back with Ayala going.  Hudds are back in it as well.  Our goal difference being better will help.  A healthier situation than before the weekend for sure.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sorry for your loss @NapaAddick it’s good to see you back on here and hopefully now football has restarted, it can provide you with an escape temporarily for a couple of hours each week. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss Napa.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I'm surprised how critical people are of Hull as I thought they played well, and were certainly better than us. I thought we just defended our box effectively to deny them clear cut chances. Virtually every other team in the Championship has better quality players than us, but Bowyer just gets us to lift our game and keep competitive in every match. He really is an extraordinary manager for when your back is against the wall, and his organisation, tactics and game management have come on leaps and bounds.
    Quite well? We restricted them to long punts into the middle and one chance. We scored 1 and had 4 other chances. Possession means nothing if no end product.

I thought they were quite good at the back, but clueless in midfield and inadequate up front. Up there with the worst team we have played all season. Look relegation fodder.
    Possession was only one of the stats they dominated. We played longball most of the game; they only resorted to it towards the end. We scored from a keeper error. What 4 chances did we have that troubled their keeper so?
    We had the next two best chances after our goal. There was the great move that just needed a touch and the free header that Bonne should have scored from. 
    Cant remember if it was before the goal but you also had Oshilaja's run into the box that he should have shot from

Would even add Aneke's run into the box as being a better chance than anything that Hull created
    Also the shot from McGeady in the first half tipped over by the keeper which led to the corner from which we scored.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Great win in a must win game.  All the bottom teams are playing each other in this run in and we, arguably, have the toughest games left.  Will make QPR, Reading and Wigan games huge for us I think.  We could do with Luton and Hull fading quietly away but need one other to hit the buffers hard... Maybe that will be an Ayala less Boro? 

I don't expect that many points more but our players will give everything and there will be odd results as clubs with nothing to play for and no crowd to motivate them start to simply run through the motions.
  • Options
    Probably unpopular but I am going to say it anyway. I can't see how anyone thinks McGeady had a good game today. He may have been better than previous performances but that doesn't take much. He wasted our first two set pieces when we needed to exert some pressure on Hull. Both pointless short balls from free kicks when a direct flighted ball from the whistle would have given us goal-mouth chances. He put one straight into the seats and lost possession with the other. He did manage a decent shot after pulling down Hemed's deep cross but I didn't see much else. A big disappointment since arriving. By contrast, I thought Oshilaja was ok today. left back isn't his best possession and Bowler got at him early on but he stuck at it. Much better second-half when he shut them out on that side (Bowler was subbed) and added more defensively. I agree with most that Hemed had a better game for us but he's never going to command a striker's shirt unless we have nothing better. Strikers have to score goals and he hasn't. Lyle Taylor would have managed a goal from the couple of good chances he had. I thought Hull were very poor and clearly missing Bowen and Grosicki. We shouldn't get carried away with this win because we are very much still in the mix and a couple of defeats will have us right back in trouble. We have three London derbies which I don't expect to give us much. The good news is that we play six middle-of-the-table sides in the last eight...
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Dont know if this has been posted!!... Should be a contendor for POTY for that!!

The squad stayed over in Hull last night - apart from Jason Pearce. His wife is due any day now so he stayed at home before driving up north with Chris & Sue Parkes coughing and spluttering all the way at 7am this morning and then scoring the winner. Commitment from the skipper

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably unpopular but I am going to say it anyway. I can't see how anyone thinks McGeady had a good game today. He may have been better than previous performances but that doesn't take much. He wasted our first two set pieces when we needed to exert some pressure on Hull. Both pointless short balls from free kicks when a direct flighted ball from the whistle would have given us goal-mouth chances. He put one straight into the seats and lost possession with the other. He did manage a decent shot after pulling down Hemed's deep cross but I didn't see much else. A big disappointment since arriving. By contrast, I thought Oshilaja was ok today. left back isn't his best possession and Bowler got at him early on but he stuck at it. Much better second-half when he shut them out on that side (Bowler was subbed) and added more defensively. I agree with most that Hemed had a better game for us but he's never going to command a striker's shirt unless we have nothing better. Strikers have to score goals and he hasn't. Lyle Taylor would have managed a goal from the couple of good chances he had. I thought Hull were very poor and clearly missing Bowen and Grosicki. We shouldn't get carried away with this win because we are very much still in the mix and a couple of defeats will have us right back in trouble. We have three London derbies which I don't expect to give us much. The good news is that we play six middle-of-the-table sides in the last eight...
    I agree, thought he was poor tbh, not slating him but even as a player whose played at the level he has  I'm sure he wouldn't have been pleased with his performance, you'd expect better decision making
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss Napa, thoughts and prayers with you and your family at this time 
  • Options
    I agree, thought he was poor tbh, not slating him but even as a player whose played at the level he has  I'm sure he wouldn't have been pleased with his performance, you'd expect better decision making
    I agree as well.  He seems to disappear at times.
  • Options
    Darren Pratley now has 10 yellow cards so I guess a 2 game lay off.
  • Options
    Darren Pratley now has 10 yellow cards so I guess a 2 game lay off.
    Nope, the 10-bookings limit was against Middlesbrough

Both him and Lockyer have to avoid getting another five bookings this season else its a three game ban
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss @NapaAddick...
  • Options
    So Pratley needs to avoid getting another 5 bookings in 7 games? Uh-oh.
    Lockyer is the bigger concern as a lot of his cards have been for silly things rather than bad / late tackles

Pratley is more experienced and knows when not to get himself booked

Plus I reckon we'll see Field starting in his place when we get to the midweek fixtures next week
  • Options
    So Pratley needs to avoid getting another 5 bookings in 7 games? Uh-oh.
    Lockyer is the bigger concern as a lot of his cards have been for silly things rather than bad / late tackles

Pratley is more experienced and knows when not to get himself booked

Plus I reckon we'll see Field starting in his place when we get to the midweek fixtures next week
    I think you're right. I think we're going to see a huge amount of rotation as we get into it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some games where we change the shape just because we have to stick Lapslie at RWB because Matthews can't play another game and Oshi is being used for something else. It's going to be interesting; I wouldn't be shocked if Bowyer is looking at other teams' fixture lists and trying to work out when a team might play a rotated lesser line-up against us. That worked in our favour against Forest so it might be that he is gambling on teams choosing to play their hitters against promotion rivals rather than us.