Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull v Charlton | Saturday 20th June |Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    kafka said:
    Sage said:
    _MrDick said:
    Based upon yesterday’s’ performance, I can’t see Hull getting too many more points. They have to play Birmingham, Middlesbrough, West Brom, Bristol City, Millwall, Wigan, Luton and Cardiff. If we at least match what they do, we should be ok. But I think we still have a couple more wins And a couple of draws in us
    Hull against Boro is yet another massive 6 pointer in the relegation battle, as I have a sneaky suspicion that Barnsley will climb to safety and get near us in the table, so we may need to finish above both Hull and Boro...
    Think Barnsley will give it a right good go, but also believe they’ll drop points against Millwall on Saturday, meaning a win for us could see us be 7-8 points clear of them with 7 to go.

There are going to be so many twists and turns, especially with so many playing one another down the bottom too. We just need to follow up our result yesterday with 3 points against QPR.
    When have Millwall ever done us a favour?
    It’s a big game for them as well. They need to win to keep up any chance of getting that last play-off position. I also can’t see them losing two in a row right now. They’ll be more up for it than what QPR were against Barnsley. I just think they’ll get a result up there on Saturday.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    I reckon Lyle would have scored a few on Saturday. I know, I know, he’s gone, move on but he certainly felt like a missing link up front. I think he would have had a field day against a woefull Hull team. Time for Anneke, McGeady and Bonne to shine. Will they? Can they?
    We could have played very differently... When Lyle plays there is a temptation to just hit it long and get him to hold it up as that part of the game is one of his strengths

Instead we tried to play more on the floor on Saturday, meant we kept the ball away from Hull a little bit longer than usual
  • Options
    I do agree though and said this to my mate at the time. That chance where Bonne and Hemed rushed in and missed on the line, Lyle would've been on the end of that.
  • Options
    I think we need to hope that Bowyer can find a way to get Hemed functioning at 100% for at least 60 mins each game. He is the only forward we have with the experience and nous we need if he can find his scoring boots. We are relying on goals from midfield or set pieces and better teams than Hull will be wise to that and not afford us the chances. When we are on the offensive we are capable of moments of brilliance but we simply have to take chances like  the two that Bonne fluffed on Saturday if we are to prosper. Not digging out Bonne as under plan A he wouldn’t be playing. To me he is, at best, a work in progress. I’d be interested to see if Chuks gets a chance as his progress during lockdown is being bigged up and he looked ok in his cameo on Saturday. We desperately need to find a way to replicate the role that Gallagher was playing to give us a scoring threat from midfield, especially at home. Williams may be the man but I’m sure LB will be on the case. 
    I’m not holding my breath on Chuks.  Bowyer said he was carrying a tight muscle before Saturday’s game - seems a perma crock to me . The fact i seem to have missed his good performances doesn’t help, although I did see his goal against Stoke. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I think we need to hope that Bowyer can find a way to get Hemed functioning at 100% for at least 60 mins each game. He is the only forward we have with the experience and nous we need if he can find his scoring boots. We are relying on goals from midfield or set pieces and better teams than Hull will be wise to that and not afford us the chances. When we are on the offensive we are capable of moments of brilliance but we simply have to take chances like  the two that Bonne fluffed on Saturday if we are to prosper. Not digging out Bonne as under plan A he wouldn’t be playing. To me he is, at best, a work in progress. I’d be interested to see if Chuks gets a chance as his progress during lockdown is being bigged up and he looked ok in his cameo on Saturday. We desperately need to find a way to replicate the role that Gallagher was playing to give us a scoring threat from midfield, especially at home. Williams may be the man but I’m sure LB will be on the case. 
    I’m not holding my breath on Chuks.  Bowyer said he was carrying a tight muscle before Saturday’s game - seems a perma crock to me . The fact i seem to have missed his good performances doesn’t help, although I did see his goal against Stoke. 
    Slight groin pull wasn’t it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Btw, great to see the old near post flick on from a corner. 
    I’m always banging on about the fact that with our poor record at taking corners, and with so many of them not beating the first man, it might make sense to stick some there for the flick on.
    I’m claiming an assist.
    Also, looking back at the game, now the three point euphoria has worn off, I’m a bit concerned about our lack of ability to hang onto the ball in possession. A better team might well punish us for that, and it was largely Hull’s inability to cross the ball that saw us over the line.
    But with Bowyer in charge we’ll probably see that worked on in training and a different display, with a different line up and formation, next Saturday. Onwards and upwards!
    This a million times over.

Those of us of a certain vintage will remember in the 70s Colin Powell floating the ball into the near post from a corner, Jimmy Giles or Les Berry flicking it on and Killer or Mike Flanagan scoring from the flick on.

It was so effective I can never understand why it is a tactic so rarely used these days.
    I was thinking more of the George Graham Arsenal, was it Bould or Adams at the near post as they scored so many goals that way
  • Options
    I too, struggle to see where the goals will come from unless Hemed finds his form.  As I said on Saturday; we played very well to create chances, but the killer instinct didn't seem to be there.  Bonne looked lost, tbh.

However, Hemed was fantastic for BHA.  I sincerely hope that he gets the goal that can get him in the same mindset as he was at Brighton, where they were banging them in for fun.

Also looking forward to Green coming back into play as he was similar for Aston Villa last season and he still has the potential to be a very effective attacking player.

We defended so well on Saturday, but will have to do so against far better teams and won't be able to shut them all out.  Without the goals, we go down, IMHO.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    8 points from 8 games would be enough to hit the 50 point target.

Unfortunately, this season, I don't think it'll be enough.

Still amazed by Wigan's turnaround, they were dead and buried. Now on a run of 6 wins and 3 draws from their last 10 games.
    That's belief for you. Proof that football is first of all played in the head.

Put a little run together, work hard for each other - and you can pick up points, you don't doubt yourself. We saw that with Charlton in the first 10 games this season: wins against Blackburn, Stoke, Brentford, Leeds, Derby County, nearly a win at Fulham, West Brom and against Forest.

Belief. Wigan seem to have it in spades at the moment. Hull don't.
    That's the difference - and guess which one of those two is going down?

• Options
    kafka said:
    Sage said:
    _MrDick said:
    Based upon yesterday’s’ performance, I can’t see Hull getting too many more points. They have to play Birmingham, Middlesbrough, West Brom, Bristol City, Millwall, Wigan, Luton and Cardiff. If we at least match what they do, we should be ok. But I think we still have a couple more wins And a couple of draws in us
    Hull against Boro is yet another massive 6 pointer in the relegation battle, as I have a sneaky suspicion that Barnsley will climb to safety and get near us in the table, so we may need to finish above both Hull and Boro...
    Think Barnsley will give it a right good go, but also believe they’ll drop points against Millwall on Saturday, meaning a win for us could see us be 7-8 points clear of them with 7 to go.

There are going to be so many twists and turns, especially with so many playing one another down the bottom too. We just need to follow up our result yesterday with 3 points against QPR.
    Barnsley will turn em over 8-0
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    I reckon Lyle would have scored a few on Saturday. I know, I know, he’s gone, move on but he certainly felt like a missing link up front. I think he would have had a field day against a woefull Hull team. Time for Anneke, McGeady and Bonne to shine. Will they? Can they?
    Really? 

He'd have jogged about a bit, stepped out of tackles and not played to 100% he admitted so himself 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Sage said:
    _MrDick said:

Millwall know they need to do themselves a favour first of all - if they've got playoff ambition.

• Options
    Anyone think Bows will change a winning team for QPR??

Me and my little one think one change Purrington for Oshi but LB is very hard to read.... Definitely think Cardiff will have a few changes especially with the Scum 72 hours later. BUT QPR is a must win. 
  • Options

Me and my little one think one change Purrington for Oshi but LB is very hard to read.... Definitely think Cardiff will have a few changes especially with the Scum 72 hours later. BUT QPR is a must win. 
    I'd keep Oshilaja

I could see us supporting the attack more though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Btw, great to see the old near post flick on from a corner. 
    I’m always banging on about the fact that with our poor record at taking corners, and with so many of them not beating the first man, it might make sense to stick some there for the flick on.

Totally agree with you, Jimmy. When I was a lad in the 60s/70s, it was very much a Charlton trademark tactic, especially when managed by Eddie Firmani and Theo Foley.

Can still picture centrehalf Paul Went striding up for a corner; Harry Gregory chipping the corner kick towards the near post, flicked on by Ray Treacy and with the defence wrong-footed, Went with a far post late run to thunder his header home.

In the early 70s, change the players to Paddy Powell, Flanagan and King Arthur Horsfield. 

It takes out the keeper and wrong-foots the defence. Horrible to defend.
    Matt Tees and Rodney Green used to start outside the penalty area at corners. If the corner was hit to about the penalty spot it was also horrible to defend.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Dazzler21 said:

I'd keep Oshilaja

I could see us supporting the attack more though.

Depends what Bowyer finds when he analyses QPR

Dont forget that Oshilaja wasnt there because our LB's werent fit but because Bowyer noticed something about their Wingers and exploited it

If the QPR player is someone who likes to stick to the line before crossing (rather than cutting in) then it'll be much harder for Oshilaja
    Didn't Purrington or was it Pearce get roasted by a nippy winger at their place? Re Oshilaja, in the knowledge of Page's setback maybe Bowyer wanted the former to get used to the role as soon as in addition to providing better ariel cover alongside alongside Lockyer and Pearce in the absence of Sarr.
  • Options
    I suspect one factor that we will not be party too is the individual fitness levels of the players. I'm sure this will have played a part in selection and younger players are naturally fitter.
  • Options
    Our free kicks have been poor for a while.

Who remembers Keith Peacock long to the far post for Neil Shiperley to head back across the area to those running in. We scored loads with that move. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Redrobo said:

Who remembers Keith Peacock long to the far post for Neil Shiperley to head back across the area to those running in. We scored loads with that move. 
    Was he wanking in his van at the time?
    😳
  • Options
    The 5 substitutes rule could be a great benefit to us, as we have a number of players that struggle to complete 90 minutes.

Williams, Oztumer, JFC, Aneke, Hemed, McGeady.

Not to mention Page 😞.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

That'll be Big Dave Shipperly, not his son the bloated Palace gutbucket.

Incidentally I have to say, there have not been that many better with a dead ball than Keithie P.