Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hull v Charlton | Saturday 20th June |Post-match Thread

18910111214»

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    Btw, great to see the old near post flick on from a corner. 
    I’m always banging on about the fact that with our poor record at taking corners, and with so many of them not beating the first man, it might make sense to stick some there for the flick on.
    I’m claiming an assist.
    Also, looking back at the game, now the three point euphoria has worn off, I’m a bit concerned about our lack of ability to hang onto the ball in possession. A better team might well punish us for that, and it was largely Hull’s inability to cross the ball that saw us over the line.
    But with Bowyer in charge we’ll probably see that worked on in training and a different display, with a different line up and formation, next Saturday. Onwards and upwards!
    This a million times over.

Those of us of a certain vintage will remember in the 70s Colin Powell floating the ball into the near post from a corner, Jimmy Giles or Les Berry flicking it on and Killer or Mike Flanagan scoring from the flick on.

It was so effective I can never understand why it is a tactic so rarely used these days.
    Why do that when you can take a short corner or free kick and give the ball away within 3 seconds. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’m always banging on about the fact that with our poor record at taking corners, and with so many of them not beating the first man, it might make sense to stick some there for the flick on.
    I’m claiming an assist.
    Also, looking back at the game, now the three point euphoria has worn off, I’m a bit concerned about our lack of ability to hang onto the ball in possession. A better team might well punish us for that, and it was largely Hull’s inability to cross the ball that saw us over the line.
    But with Bowyer in charge we’ll probably see that worked on in training and a different display, with a different line up and formation, next Saturday. Onwards and upwards!

Those of us of a certain vintage will remember in the 70s Colin Powell floating the ball into the near post from a corner, Jimmy Giles or Les Berry flicking it on and Killer or Mike Flanagan scoring from the flick on.

It was so effective I can never understand why it is a tactic so rarely used these days.
    I was thinking more of the George Graham Arsenal, was it Bould or Adams at the near post as they scored so many goals that way
    Youngsters!  Alan Gilzean at Spurs was the master at the near post. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’m claiming an assist.

Why do that when you can take a short corner or free kick and give the ball away within 3 seconds. 
    Baffling why we started with the "alternative" set pieces, rather than only trying short corners and weird free kick routines if the normal ones aren't working
  • edited June 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Anyone think Bows will change a winning team for QPR??

Me and my little one think one change Purrington for Oshi but LB is very hard to read.... Definitely think Cardiff will have a few changes especially with the Scum 72 hours later. BUT QPR is a must win. 
    Dazzler21 said:
    Anyone think Bows will change a winning team for QPR??

Me and my little one think one change Purrington for Oshi but LB is very hard to read.... Definitely think Cardiff will have a few changes especially with the Scum 72 hours later. BUT QPR is a must win. 
    I'd keep Oshilaja

I could see us supporting the attack more though.

Depends what Bowyer finds when he analyses QPR

Dont forget that Oshilaja wasnt there because our LB's werent fit but because Bowyer noticed something about their Wingers and exploited it

If the QPR player is someone who likes to stick to the line before crossing (rather than cutting in) then it'll be much harder for Oshilaja
    Didn't Purrington or was it Pearce get roasted by a nippy winger at their place? Re Oshilaja, in the knowledge of Page's setback maybe Bowyer wanted the former to get used to the role as soon as in addition to providing better ariel cover alongside alongside Lockyer and Pearce in the absence of Sarr.
    Pretty sure it was Pearce who ended up on his arse for their second. Completely bamboozled. Purrington did also have a shocker that day for the record.
  • Osayi-Samuel is an excellent winger , Pearce was covering Purrington who went AWOL . Oshilaja will have to be at his best to contain him on Saturday  .
  • The 5 substitutes rule could be a great benefit to us, as we have a number of players that struggle to complete 90 minutes.

Williams, Oztumer, JFC, Aneke, Hemed, McGeady.

I think right now everyone has a lot of players who will struggle to complete 90 minutes, especially when it's warm out. 
  • Osayi-Samuel is an excellent winger , Pearce was covering Purrington who went AWOL . Oshilaja will have to be at his best to contain him on Saturday  .
    Pearce was subbed on for Purrington.  
  • As above I agree that Keith Peacock could play a dead ball from a free kick or corner onto a sixpence. 

• Sponsored links:

Maybe Alfie will mark him?
  • I'd get Oshilaja to give him a few kicks then sub him for Purrington when he is booked.

• Lovely to see one of ours back in the ToTW.
  • There's no science behind that TOTW. They probably see which defenders scored or assisted goals, and then look to see if they kept a clean sheet. I marked Lockyer above Pearce as I thought he put in a towering display and dealt with almost everything - Pearce could have had his slippers on for most of it
  • Leuth said:
    There's no science behind that TOTW. They probably see which defenders scored or assisted goals, and then look to see if they kept a clean sheet. I marked Lockyer above Pearce as I thought he put in a towering display and dealt with almost everything - Pearce could have had his slippers on for most of it
    On their defensive  displays, I marked it Lockyer 8, Pearce 7.5

But then Pearce scored a CRUCIAL goal, gaining an extra point from me, leaving the final score Lockyer 8, Pearce 8.5
  • edited June 2020
  • Richard J said:
    The 5 substitutes rule could be a great benefit to us, as we have a number of players that struggle to complete 90 minutes.

Very astute comment  

In some ways it is a shame that Kayal isn't available as he definitely has ability and could have benefited from the lockdown pre season as a leveller. 
    Bristol city away he was excellent. When he came off we went to proper shit. 
    If he stayed away from injuries he would have been 1st choice with Cullen in CM
  • Pearce was a CB in a clean sheet and scored the winner. 

Deserves his place for me.
  • Richard J said:
    The 5 substitutes rule could be a great benefit to us, as we have a number of players that struggle to complete 90 minutes.

Very astute comment  

In some ways it is a shame that Kayal isn't available as he definitely has ability and could have benefited from the lockdown pre season as a leveller. 
    I'd forgotten about Kayal. He hasn't played for Brighton since he went back but it seems that he is fit now, as Brighton it seems wanted to extend his contract to July to cover the remaining games.
  • Richard J said:

Very astute comment  

I'd forgotten about Kayal. He hasn't played for Brighton since he went back but it seems that he is fit now, as Brighton it seems wanted to extend his contract to July to cover the remaining games.
    Extended his contract at Brighton. Maybe he is coming back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Richard J said:

Very astute comment  

Extended his contract at Brighton. Maybe he is coming back.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51126139
  • stonemuse said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Massive result for your lot today. Another win and a draw, or even two or three draws and I reckon you’re safe. Bar Barnsley, all the teams below you are dire and won’t pick up much between now and the end of the season. 
    Not a massive fan of Bowyer, but if he keeps you up this season, after all he’s had to endure off the pitch, then fair play to him. Huge achievement. It’ll make a good book one day. 
    Look forward to locking horns on the 3rd of July. Although there probably won’t be much riding on it, just bragging rights (and the charity bets I had with a few on here). 
    Here’s just praying that lot in claret and blue join us down here next season.
     All the best lads 

Either that or stripy nigels get dragged down somehow. I wouldn't say 2 wins would be enough I reckon 51 points total so 9 points from a possible 24 in our remaining games should see us home and hosed. 
    That would be a dream but those smug ****’s are safe. No point getting our hopes up. 

I genuinely don’t think you’ll need anything near that points total. Where do you see the likes of boro, hull or Luton getting the points to catch you if you pick up another few points? Boro and hull are beyond bad and Luton are too far behind. They’ll get a few points but not enough to catch you if you get a few more points b
    12 points behind you ... you never know where we might end out  ;)
    Down to 10 points difference  ;)