Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Chris Solly not playing (Dec 20 - Page.6 signs for Ebbsfleet)

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Did Ebbsfleet's 3-0 defeat on Saturday come too soon for Solly or was he playing does anyone know?
    Just seen he hasn't played since January when we lost in the FA Cup, that's a very long time to not be playing. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Well I think of all the possible reasons he left, greed can probably be ruled out, which makes it a lot easier for me. 
    Agreed. For me it was a personality clash with Bowyer, Solly probably strong enough to stand up to him & we know what that means! 
    Or he wasn't strong enough & Bowyer has really messed Solly up mentally 
    I mean, this is probably it. Solly's best football (by far) was under powell, and i cant imagine powell not being the arm round the shoulder type of manager... since that's what he's like as a person anyway.

Maybe Bowyer asked for more, solly said he couldn't because of his knee and bowyer just froze him out.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LenGlover said:
    Did Ebbsfleet's 3-0 defeat on Saturday come too soon for Solly or was he playing does anyone know?
    Not according to their site, wasn’t in the squad.
    Did he refuse to play again?

;) 
    Yup refused to play incase it scuppered a big money move next month. 
    ...to Crockenhill
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    All I have to say is.........

"How did that work our for you Chris....?  Still think you did the right thing by not honouring your contract & seeing out the season with your feet up on the basis that if you got injured during June & July your '"career" would be over ? "

Chickens have surely come home to roost.
    Pretty clear to most people that's not what happened with Solly.

There's no way Solly refused to play ahead of a big lucrative move like Taylor did. 
    I never said that he refused to play because he had a big lucrative move lined up. Far from it I suspect. He simply didn't want an injury to scupper any move after the season had finished. He probably didn't have anything lined up but he probably felt getting another injury & not being fit for the start of a new season (inc any pre-season) would hamper him. 

But, as I was alluding to, not playing & staying fit still didnt help him. So lose/lose. No-one can say how it might have turned out if he HAD seen out the season contractually, but one thing is for certain it wouldn't have been lose/lose as he would have left with the blessing of the fans.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Curbs fell out with a few. Didn’t make him a bad manager.
    Had Jason Euell training with the reserves, which was the best known one.
    These things happen.
    Greg Shields was another.

• Options
    Let's be honest Solly as a footballer has been the shadow of himself for the past 2 or 3 seasons

Solly was never going to recapture his best form  (when he played down the right with Wagstaff)  but I thought he looked good at the start of last season.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Curbs fell out with a few. Didn’t make him a bad manager.
    Had Jason Euell training with the reserves, which was the best known one.
    These things happen.
    Greg Shields was another.

Danny Murphy too right?
  • Options
    The former Charlton captain does not believe the full facts have come out about his Valley exit. But he also has no appetite to dig up the subject again now.

Must have resolved his issues with the PFA maybe, what with him talking now but leaving the subject his exit quiet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It still doesn't cover why he wasn't available for the last 9 games though, which is the main issue most fans have
    Especially, Matthews didn’t play against Brentford away and Lapslie was sent in to cover as RWB. That would have been a match that Solly would have played. Whether it would have made a difference to the result in the end but he was needed at that particular  period of time.
  • Options
    It still doesn't cover why he wasn't available for the last 9 games though, which is the main issue most fans have
    Especially, Matthews didn’t play against Brentford away and Lapslie was sent in to cover as RWB. That would have been a match that Solly would have played. Whether it would have made a difference to the result in the end but he was needed at that particular  period of time.
    Matthews did play Brentford away.

It was Cardiff that Matthews didnt play a game we drew 0-0 so kept a clean sheet anyway, so I dont see a RB making much of a difference.

• Options
    Wished Solly all the best when he went to ebbsfleet.
    I'm not bothered why he didnt play the last games.
    Even Taylor not playing the last few games bothers me that much.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great player in his day but by last season he wasn't the same player. Didn't take players on & so invariably when he crossed the half way line with the ball his only real option was to pass sideways or backwards. 

However, he let the team (and therefore its fans) down by not being available after June 30th. The season was still in progress so in my mind he basically worked to rules & decided that was it. Not acceptable in my book......either by him or Taylor. That's why both will get boo-ed, jeered & catcalled by the Golfie family any time they play against us.

And as someone has previously said......he says a lot in that article but didnt address that main issue. Poor form in my book. 
  • Options
    Firstly - I thought that was an excellent interview. Interesting in-depth read and well presented.

Solly was a victim of circumstances - both with the chaos and limitations on Charlton's ability to sign/contract players during the ESI fiasco and then with the looming crisis caused by the pandemic.

I'm sure, that without either of these, the situation would be vastly different and Chris would either have left with the blessing of us all or he would be somewhere in the coaching set up supporting the existing team and encouraging the youngsters.

Oh, and Golfie will get boo-ed, jeered & catcalled by the Addickted family any time we see them at The Valley.

B) 

• Options
    Great player in his day but by last season he wasn't the same player. Didn't take players on & so invariably when he crossed the half way line with the ball his only real option was to pass sideways or backwards. 

However, he let the team (and therefore its fans) down by not being available after June 30th. The season was still in progress so in my mind he basically worked to rules & decided that was it. Not acceptable in my book......either by him or Taylor. That's why both will get boo-ed, jeered & catcalled by the Golfie family any time they play against us.

And as someone has previously said......he says a lot in that article but didnt address that main issue. Poor form in my book. 
    I really hope when it comes out that he never actually refused to play, you take this back, because this is not the first time you have said this, despite being told many times this is not whay happened
  • Options

I really hope when it comes out that he never actually refused to play, you take this back, because this is not the first time you have said this, despite being told many times this is not whay happened
    If you know, definitively, what did happen please let us know because otherwise the speculation will continue.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

If you know, definitively, what did happen please let us know because otherwise the speculation will continue.
    I have already said what I have been told that I was told by someone close to Chris and it was confirmed by someone who works at the club but I am not naming names
  • Options

Though does seem odd to me that Solly wouldn't want to clear things up in quite an in-depth interview. It's not like he has to be brutally honest but I'd have thought he'd want to clear his name by now. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Let's be honest Solly as a footballer has been the shadow of himself for the past 2 or 3 seasons

That's putting it diplomatically. In the end, Solly couldn't tackle, couldn't turn, and had no pace. Ordinary Third Division players were running rings round him - it was quite sad to watch.