Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Chris Solly not playing (Dec 20 - Page.6 signs for Ebbsfleet)

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    I don't really understand what Solly did but he's certainly no Lyle Taylor. One of my favourite players at Charlton and I hope people can remember the positives.
  • Options
    I don't really understand what Solly did but he's certainly no Lyle Taylor. One of my favourite players at Charlton and I hope people can remember the positives.
    How certain of that are you? Morally, what’s the difference? How many testimonials did Lyle Taylor have at Charlton? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    How certain of that are you? Morally, what’s the difference? How many testimonials did Lyle Taylor have at Charlton? 
    Just my opinion based on the way he has come across during his career. Lyle played the media and Chris didn't - I just feel there is more to the story but maybe we'll never know..
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    How many players made more appearances than Solly for us in the last 15 years? The answer is none. But because he refused to make himself available for THREE games for which he wouldn't be selected anyway (and hadn't been picked for in the previous six months) he is the "wrongun'".

This is what Solly has said:

The former Charlton captain does not believe the full facts have come out about his Valley exit. But he also has no appetite to dig up the subject again now.

“I loved my time at the club – I gave everything,” Solly told the South London Press. “Every time I trained and played I gave 100 per cent. I had the discussion with Bows [Lee Bowyer] and Steve Gallen [director of football] at the end of January and it was made clear it was going to be my last year.

“I accepted that and it was fine. I made it clear from that conversation that I still wanted to play, to try and get back in the squad – that didn’t happen in the lead-up to the pandemic.

“From March we had the lockdown and that was that."

Solly was never ever going to be picked post lockdown. LB refused to play him when he was fit let alone when he hadn't kicked a ball in anger for six months. Making an issue of three players refusing to play when two of them weren't ever in the squad is typical LB. Taylor, on the other hand, most certainly would have been selected. That is the difference.

That one player was more important for the 9 games than the other, surely doesn't mean that if they make the same decision, one should be derided and the other excused though?

Indeed as a stalwart, club captain and testimonial recipient, I'd expect MORE loyalty to the club from Solly than from Taylor

Maybe Chris has a genuine reason that will excuse what he did. Maybe he was seriously wronged by Bowyer, and action is still going on behind the scenes

Or maybe he thought he could try and sneak away quietly, hoping that Taylor would get all the stick and abuse from the fans.