Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thoughts on Chris Solly not playing (Dec 20 - Page.6 signs for Ebbsfleet)

edited December 2020 in General Charlton
So what's the deal with Solly not wanting to play? 

Been with the club forever, I would've thought he'd at least be training even if he wasn't playing, as club captain. 

Sad way for him to be finishing his career with us if he's out of contract. 
«13456789

Comments

  • My guess is AFC Wimbledon team up with Waggy again
  • I was thinking of starting a thread on this too. He is a very private person, but hope he can explain his actions, as I had him down as Mr Charlton these past 10 years.
  • Used the injury line, is not playing out contract. 

    Unacceptable, unless he is continuing to carry an injury. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Used the injury line, is not playing out contract. 

    Unacceptable, unless he is continuing to carry an injury. 
    Where did he say that?
  • edited June 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Used the injury line, is not playing out contract. 

    Unacceptable, unless he is continuing to carry an injury. 
    Where did he say that?

    "We have nine players whose contracts finish at the end of June and, unfortunately for us, three of them have said that they're not going to play.

    "Lyle's one of them and that's tough for us and for me as a manager. Lyle has said that he's not going to play because of risk of injury.

    "Chris Solly has said the same." 

  • Dazzler21 said:
    Used the injury line, is not playing out contract. 

    Unacceptable, unless he is continuing to carry an injury. 
    Where did he say that?

    he didn't but Bowyer did.
    Which has proven to be accurate with Taylor.
  • Sponsored links:


  • No other clubs have announced players refusing to play yet, have they?
  • Just say Solly and play out your contract Chris. 

  • cafctom said:
    I’m reeling more from the Chris Solly news than the Taylor stuff I think.

    One of the biggest legends in the last 10-15 years for the club. The man who lifted the trophy atop the Wembley steps, and is now in his testimonial season.

    The man who in my mind was absolutely hard as nails and would battle for Charlton through anything.

    And this is how it ends? It’s like a really bad dream.

    This is possibly one side of the coin and on the surface @cafctom is right, Solly's actions reek of 'disloyalty'.

    However, we do not know the full story. Perhaps Solly was offered a derisory new contract, perhaps told he had no future as a 1st team player, perhaps he and Bowyer just dislike one another.
    In many ways it could be that after so many years at Charlton, Solly felt mistreated. It must be harder for a long serving employee to be metaphorically shown the door that for the same to happen to a relative newcomer.
    I am disappointed as I saw a future for Solly as a youth team coach/mentor. It seems this now will never be the case    
  • cafctom said:
    I’m reeling more from the Chris Solly news than the Taylor stuff I think.

    One of the biggest legends in the last 10-15 years for the club. The man who lifted the trophy atop the Wembley steps, and is now in his testimonial season.

    The man who in my mind was absolutely hard as nails and would battle for Charlton through anything.

    And this is how it ends? It’s like a really bad dream.
    I think everything is a bad dream but Sollys decision is a strange one. 
  • Missed It said:
    It seems to me Chris Solly is in a slightly different boat.  I would assume he hasn't been offered a contract due to the dodgy ownership, he may well want to stay, but if he gets injured (not an unlikely event given his history) what is he going to do for rehab/treatment when he is essentially unemployed a week later?  His future seems very uncertain to me.  He's not a 20 goal striker that someone will inevitably sign and excuse any issues as long as he scores.  He's an injury prone right back beginning the downslope to the back end of his career. He's not heading up the league's with his next contract.   It's disappointing, but perhaps understandable.  I know Charlton have helped out with rehab out of contract players in the past but that was the good old days, not now when they're absolutely potless and in danger of going out of business.

    I don't have much sympathy for Taylor though.  He is leaving, we've all known it for months. He thinks he can do better than Charlton.  I'm not convinced he'll do much better given his middling record knocking around the lower leagues and Scotland, but this is his one and only chance to cash in his last three years performance for a big contract.  I'm just surprised he hasn't signed a pre-contract agreement with anyone.  It would seem he's trading the security of getting a deal done in good time to extract maximum return out of clubs competing for his signature.  He is refusing to play for Charlton to facilitate that little game.  He is stiffing his team-mates in the middle of a relegation battle to extract a few more quid out of his next move. 

    Solly is up shit creek.  Taylor is a shit bag.   
    I'm 100% sure that no matter what situation we were in financially, Bowyer and Jacko wouldn't refuse to give Chris rehab if he was injured. I'd love to know his reasons for refusing to play and feel like we deserve to know.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Missed It said:
    It seems to me Chris Solly is in a slightly different boat.  I would assume he hasn't been offered a contract due to the dodgy ownership, he may well want to stay, but if he gets injured (not an unlikely event given his history) what is he going to do for rehab/treatment when he is essentially unemployed a week later?  His future seems very uncertain to me.  He's not a 20 goal striker that someone will inevitably sign and excuse any issues as long as he scores.  He's an injury prone right back beginning the downslope to the back end of his career. He's not heading up the league's with his next contract.   It's disappointing, but perhaps understandable.  I know Charlton have helped out with rehab out of contract players in the past but that was the good old days, not now when they're absolutely potless and in danger of going out of business.

    I don't have much sympathy for Taylor though.  He is leaving, we've all known it for months. He thinks he can do better than Charlton.  I'm not convinced he'll do much better given his middling record knocking around the lower leagues and Scotland, but this is his one and only chance to cash in his last three years performance for a big contract.  I'm just surprised he hasn't signed a pre-contract agreement with anyone.  It would seem he's trading the security of getting a deal done in good time to extract maximum return out of clubs competing for his signature.  He is refusing to play for Charlton to facilitate that little game.  He is stiffing his team-mates in the middle of a relegation battle to extract a few more quid out of his next move. 

    Solly is up shit creek.  Taylor is a shit bag.   
    I'm 100% sure that no matter what situation we were in financially, Bowyer and Jacko wouldn't refuse to give Chris rehab if he was injured. I'd love to know his reasons for refusing to play and feel like we deserve to know.
    Yeah its the main reason why I'm holding judgement on Solls

    There has to be some deep reason behind him coming to his decision and think he should honestly come out with his reasons as to why

    Trouble is Chris has always been a very reserved person and doesnt seem to like the spotlight side of the game so will be surprised if we do hear from him

    Only time we might get something is if he goes to Wimbledon / Gillingham in the summer and explains then in his signing interview
  • Agree that he should release some sort of statement. He is club captain after all.

    Just sad these 2 "professional" men have decided they dont want to be professional anymore. 

    Dont let the door hit you on the way out...
  • Hard to get annoyed about Solly when he's not been good enough since his injury back in 2014. He has absolutely benfitted from his status as "Charlton through and through" in regards to getting new contracts from owners who knew that letting him go would be awful PR. I suspect if the club had a settled owner he'd have been offered a new contract again to curry favour with the fans.

    Turns out maybe he's not as "Charlton through and through" as everyone thought, but because he's now properly out of his depth, no one really cares that he's not playing and the focus is on the top scorer.

    Btw may sound like I'm being harsh, but I do have sympathy for his terrible injury that definitely fucked him before he reached his peak. He was a very good championship player and who knows maybe a lower premiership club would have taken a punt on him if things were different.
  • Missed It said:
    It seems to me Chris Solly is in a slightly different boat.  I would assume he hasn't been offered a contract due to the dodgy ownership, he may well want to stay, but if he gets injured (not an unlikely event given his history) what is he going to do for rehab/treatment when he is essentially unemployed a week later?  His future seems very uncertain to me.  He's not a 20 goal striker that someone will inevitably sign and excuse any issues as long as he scores.  He's an injury prone right back beginning the downslope to the back end of his career. He's not heading up the league's with his next contract.   It's disappointing, but perhaps understandable.  I know Charlton have helped out with rehab out of contract players in the past but that was the good old days, not now when they're absolutely potless and in danger of going out of business.

    I don't have much sympathy for Taylor though.  He is leaving, we've all known it for months. He thinks he can do better than Charlton.  I'm not convinced he'll do much better given his middling record knocking around the lower leagues and Scotland, but this is his one and only chance to cash in his last three years performance for a big contract.  I'm just surprised he hasn't signed a pre-contract agreement with anyone.  It would seem he's trading the security of getting a deal done in good time to extract maximum return out of clubs competing for his signature.  He is refusing to play for Charlton to facilitate that little game.  He is stiffing his team-mates in the middle of a relegation battle to extract a few more quid out of his next move. 

    Solly is up shit creek.  Taylor is a shit bag.   
    I'm 100% sure that no matter what situation we were in financially, Bowyer and Jacko wouldn't refuse to give Chris rehab if he was injured. I'd love to know his reasons for refusing to play and feel like we deserve to know.

    Rehab is not so much of an issue, but if he needed an op, that's expensive.  Given his history, insurance may not cover it.

    You're right he should explain his decision.  A lot of fans will be bent out of shape about him declining to play.  I'm more inclined to give him a pass but would appreciate it if he could let everyone know how he sees his future panning out.
  • Hard to get annoyed about Solly when he's not been good enough since his injury back in 2014. He has absolutely benfitted from his status as "Charlton through and through" in regards to getting new contracts from owners who knew that letting him go would be awful PR. I suspect if the club had a settled owner he'd have been offered a new contract again to curry favour with the fans.

    Turns out maybe he's not as "Charlton through and through" as everyone thought, but because he's now properly out of his depth, no one really cares that he's not playing and the focus is on the top scorer.

    Btw may sound like I'm being harsh, but I do have sympathy for his terrible injury that definitely fucked him before he reached his peak. He was a very good championship player and who knows maybe a lower premiership club would have taken a punt on him if things were different.
    His knees are fucked, not his brain. He still knows what a contract is and that you need to honour it. He stitches his team mates up in a crucial period. He can just sit on the bench and be last resort back up. 
  • Hard to get annoyed about Solly when he's not been good enough since his injury back in 2014. He has absolutely benfitted from his status as "Charlton through and through" in regards to getting new contracts from owners who knew that letting him go would be awful PR. I suspect if the club had a settled owner he'd have been offered a new contract again to curry favour with the fans.

    Turns out maybe he's not as "Charlton through and through" as everyone thought, but because he's now properly out of his depth, no one really cares that he's not playing and the focus is on the top scorer.

    Btw may sound like I'm being harsh, but I do have sympathy for his terrible injury that definitely fucked him before he reached his peak. He was a very good championship player and who knows maybe a lower premiership club would have taken a punt on him if things were different.
    His knees are fucked, not his brain. He still knows what a contract is and that you need to honour it. He stitches his team mates up in a crucial period. He can just sit on the bench and be last resort back up. 
    I wasn't defending him, but honestly think it's better if he's not involved as he's about as useful as a chocolate teapot in this division.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out Forever!