Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Chris Solly not playing (Dec 20 - Page.6 signs for Ebbsfleet)

Comments

• Options
    Markg2004 said:
    Just a thought, but what if Solly was going to retire at the end of the season? With previous injuries he is more likely to aggravate them if not undergone proper training. He hasn't played much this season, will take him longer to get back up to speed on said knee to avoid injury.

To be clear, I would've wanted all players available as per contracts but is he worried the injury may not hold up with this rushed restart.
    He should have kept himself fit. 

It's down to the player, especially in his position to minimalise risk of injury to themselves when not playing by ensuring they continue to condition themselves.

If he hasn't done that, then that is on Solly. 
  • Options
    I really do not understand why he has done this,he was down the pecking order,unlikely to play much so could quite easily not gone public.I think he was struggling at championship level and his knee problems are not going away so with respect to a good servant of the club,this is probably the right decision all round,although supporters will feel let down.
  • Options
    HandG said:
    cafctom said:
    Agreed that the perception of his 'decline' seems to be way overboard from some. Even when he has played this season he has been relatively consistent. It was just unfortunate for him that Adam Matthews came in, and he has a bit more pace to work with from a tactical standpoint.
    Definitely agree with this. Still think he is a solid right back but Matthews is younger and better at this level. He hasn’t made the bench because it makes more sense for an Oshilaja or a Sarr to take up defensive spots because they can fill more than one position so he has been left in an unfortunate position.

So much speculation on here though about him having the ump, talking to Taylor, wasn’t happy about Wembley, doesn’t get on with Bowyer etc etc. We all know the reasons for Lyle not playing but, until I hear Solly’s side of the story, I’m reserving judgement. But to be honest, even if his reasons are the same as Taylor’s, his 300+ appearance and blood sweat and tears during some truly shit times would be enough for a pass from me. 
    Average of around 6.4 rating from our stabank this season, but his last performance was a 4.6 (away to Derby) and hasn’t featured since. 
  • Options
    Still can't get over the fact he's bottling the end of his contract in the same season fans forked out money for his testimonial. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Still can't get over the fact he's bottling the end of his contract in the same season fans forked out money for his testimonial. 
    I’m glad I didn’t go now.
    Tight git.
  • Options
    fuck him and fuck Taylor. If you can't be counted when needed then pack your bags son and catch the we dont want you anywhere near our fucking club train to wherever you see fit.

i find it even more disappointing given the shit media the club have been having, that 2 senior pro's would act this way, where else in the whole of the EFL have 2 senior players so far said, "na gaffer i don't fancy it, just in case i pick up a injury PLAYING for the EMPLOYER that pays my WAGES" 

2 self-centred pricks, don't give a toss about the club, the fans or their team mates IMO, as if they did, they'd be standing with them in the trenches. 

The can both fuck off together, spineless Clive Hunts
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Tight git.
    I’d rather give my money to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No other clubs have announced players refusing to play yet, have they?
    No, only 3 and all us! 
  • Options
    No, only 3 and all us! 
    I wonder if any other managers actually went to the bother of asking each player if they wanted to play? If you don’t ask the question it does kind of assume an element of expectation. Just saying.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Same thoughts as with Taylor - if he doesn’t want to roll his sleeves up and help in a relegation battle, then he can piss off as well. 
    And just to think I paid and went to his testimonial as well and now he treats me like this!!
    He can now do one
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Tight git.
    Admission was £15, I'll have it next time we meet.
  • Options
    Same thoughts as with Taylor - if he doesn’t want to roll his sleeves up and help in a relegation battle, then he can piss off as well. 
    And just to think I paid and went to his testimonial as well and now he treats me like this!!
    He can now do one
    Did the proceeds go to charity?
  • Options
    I too would like to hear an explanation from Solly, as this does seem out of character.
  • Options
    The only footballer to have a testimonial and then ruin his reputation with the fans in the same season
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Tight git.
    WHAT! Hold the back pages 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TBH I'll forgive Solly a lot.  He has played for Charlton for his entire career and has battled and toughed his way against players he had no right to beat.  He's done a huge amount for the club and has come to embody an attitude that I associate with Charlton.  

Taylor doesn't give a shit.  He came in when we needed a striker, got a good offer when no-one else seemed to be that interested and had one good season for us.  We repayed that in this last season.  he will be a footnote.  Solly is a part of club history.  He isn't looking for a season on the bench with a wealthier club, he is looking to get a season or two more of playing.

Couple of interesting facts:

Solly made his full debut for the 1st team in the Football League Trophy against Barnet on 6 October 2009

Taylor's contract at Millwall expired on 1 July 2009
    Well that's not quite true, he had an offer from Sunderland apparently for more money. We'll never know if the money part was an embellishment from him, but there's no doubting there was an offer from Sunderland, who had been in the Prem two years before. Taylor's let us down but we shouldn't reinvent history.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Tight git.
    Admission was £15, I'll have it next time we meet.
    I’ll pay you double if you fuck off out of my life.
  • Options
    I like Chris Solly as a person, I've met him several times, used to play for the same 5 a side team as his brother (best 5 a side player ever) 

I think he is guilty of being stupid 

Him announcing he won't be playing for his anymore is essentially me announcing my retirement from international football 

I'd be really disappointed though if he didnt answer an SOS 
  • Options
    No, only 3 and all us! 
    I wonder if any other managers actually went to the bother of asking each player if they wanted to play? If you don’t ask the question it does kind of assume an element of expectation. Just saying.
    Should they even be given an option , you’re a Charlton player , you’re fit , you’re available if I want to pick you , you have no choice.
  • Options
    No, only 3 and all us! 
    Should they even be given an option , you’re a Charlton player , you’re fit , you’re available if I want to pick you , you have no choice.
    The COVID situation is what has led to players being ‘asked the question’ - and I suspect Bows probably didn’t expect that this is what would lead to some players taking the time to think about the question in a different way
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    TBH I'll forgive Solly a lot.  He has played for Charlton for his entire career and has battled and toughed his way against players he had no right to beat.  He's done a huge amount for the club and has come to embody an attitude that I associate with Charlton.  

Taylor doesn't give a shit.  He came in when we needed a striker, got a good offer when no-one else seemed to be that interested and had one good season for us.  We repayed that in this last season.  he will be a footnote.  Solly is a part of club history.  He isn't looking for a season on the bench with a wealthier club, he is looking to get a season or two more of playing.

Solly made his full debut for the 1st team in the Football League Trophy against Barnet on 6 October 2009

Well that's not quite true, he had an offer from Sunderland apparently for more money. We'll never know if the money part was an embellishment from him, but there's no doubting there was an offer from Sunderland, who had been in the Prem two years before. Taylor's let us down but we shouldn't reinvent history.
    OK.  got a good offer when one other club seemed to be interested, possibly, but we don't know, and had one good season for us.

The comparisons with Solly fail to take into account the service that each player has done for the club.

• Options

OK.  got a good offer when one other club seemed to be interested, possibly, but we don't know, and had one good season for us.

The comparisons with Solly fail to take into account the service that each player has done for the club.

I think the comparisons are taking in to account that both rats have deserted the sinking ship but one wouldn’t play without an injury or two elsewhere , so he’s getting an easier ride even though he is/was club captain and some can’t accept that this Mr Charlton bollox they have in their heads about him is just that because when the going gets tough the lame fuck off .

(It would help if there was something said by Solly maybe but then being honest has only wound everyone up more re Taylor )
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    No, only 3 and all us! 
    The COVID situation is what has led to players being ‘asked the question’ - and I suspect Bows probably didn’t expect that this is what would lead to some players taking the time to think about the question in a different way
    It may well have happened at other clubs, but I can't recall seeing another manager quoted as saying that they had met with each player individually when they came in and asked if they wanted to play. I suspect quite a few would have just told the players these are the safety and distancing protocols we will be following in the first week of training and let's crack on.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

That service makes Solly’s decision worse in my opinion. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

That service makes Solly’s decision worse in my opinion. 
    Solly is the club captain in his testimonial year, Taylor has played for us for a couple of seasons after playing for 13 previous clubs. Solly’s decision is a bigger betrayal even if Taylor’s has a bigger impact on our short term future.