Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Chris Solly not playing (Dec 20 - Page.6 signs for Ebbsfleet)

Comments

• Options
    I personally think he's in the wrong, but at least Lyle has gone on the tele and explained his reasons. Would mean something if Chris could be bothered to do the same.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    If he's got Covid related health concerns, then that's ok with me and the rest of this doesn't apply.

But if it's purely down to securing his next move, then I'm not happy. If he didn't think he was going to play in the remaining games, why even come out and say he's unavailable? Just see out the contract, maybe enjoy a couple of cameos and leave with good feelings all round....especially if we stayed up.

The loyalty thing cuts two ways; yes he's played for the club for a long time....but he has been well paid to do so. As a performer, I would say he was on the wain even as far back as our previous relegation, so he's done well out of Charlton. The fact that he's also had a testimonial out of it, just makes things look even worse. 
  • Options
    The only reason in his mind might be if he has been told by LB that he is very unlikely to figure and has no new contract anywhere. Solly hasn't been selected since December for a league game, has a chronic problem and will be less match fit than probably any other player. For him to get a contract elsewhere he will need to be 100% fit hence, as I say, his reluctance to play. Coming on for 10 minutes would, potentially end his career. 

Not excusing it because he has been supported by the Club throughout his injuries and should make himself available. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    If he's got Covid related health concerns, then that's ok with me and the rest of this doesn't apply.

But if it's purely down to securing his next move, then I'm not happy. If he didn't think he was going to play in the remaining games, why even come out and say he's unavailable? Just see out the contract, maybe enjoy a couple of cameos and leave with good feelings all round....especially if we stayed up.

The loyalty thing cuts two ways; yes he's played for the club for a long time....but he has been well paid to do so. As a performer, I would say he was on the wain even as far back as our previous relegation, so he's done well out of Charlton. The fact that he's also had a testimonial out of it, just makes things look even worse. 
    I doubt he would even pass a medical. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Swisdom said:
    Feel equally let down by Solly. The blokes just had a testimonial that many fans went out of their way to financially support.

Hes been very well supported by Charlton and it’s fans through his whole career and when the chips are down and we need more than ever players to fight for the badge in a relegation battle, he’s one of the last I’d have expected to say ‘no thanks’, regardless of contract situation. 
    I was really shocked by Solly to be honest.  A huge amount of effort went into his testimonial year BECAUSE of who he was.  Testimonials are rare these days but Chris was regarded as "one of us".  He refers to Charlton as "Us" not just the team he played for and that's why it's so galling.

I'd guess he's been told he won't be getting a new contract, he has a young child and hopefully has something lined up for next season (Gillingham is my guess) already so might as well spend some time with his family etc

If I am honest I reckon he's got enough "in the bank" to go with our blessing - as hard as it is to admit.
    I don’t get that I’m afraid mate, if people think ill of Taylor’s approach but give Solly a softer pass then they are bein hypocritical 
    Agreed, but I think its a case where many fans might feel as though they don't want to believe it with Solly.

Taylor is someone who has been here a couple of years, been a great player - but also known to have an ego about him as well.

Chris Solly isn't in the same bracket quality wise, but as far as icons of the club go - he has been up there as one of the biggest for us since we came down from the Premier League. 

Infact, for many fans of the club there might only be a handful of players who have played as many Charlton games in their lifetimes.

313 career appearances - every single one of them in a Charlton shirt. That's more than the likes of Steve Brown, Johnnie Jackson and Chris Powell - and he was about to surpass Derek Hales and Johnnie Robinson. He even said himself that he would happily retire at Charlton and be a true 'one club man'. How often have we heard that? Never. 

A key part of the team in our record breaking 2012 campaign, and the only player from that side that then went on to be there in our 2019 campaign. Joint lifted the trophy at Wembley on one of the greatest days in our history. 

Yes it is hypocritical for fans to treat him different from Taylor, but I suspect its simply because we don't want it to be true in this particular case. 

Legends like Chris Solly don't come along often for our club, and its a really fucking tough one to swallow if this is the way it has been ruined. 
  • Options
    Didn’t Bowyer ask all the squad if they were available and up for the fight individually? Maybe he should just have called them back expecting them to play not giving them a choice. If it was for Covid-19 then that’s a different argument! 
  • Options
    Very let down by Solly. Looked to him as proper Charlton but has gone down in my estimates. It’s a shame that after 11 years he is leaving the club like this. 

Only difference is that he’s keeping his head down and being quiet over the situation unlike Taylor. 
  • Options
    Hugely disappointing,whilst I have reservations as to whether the season should continue, if it does and these players do not have family or medical objections they should play.They are still under contract and they have a responsibility to their team mates and the supporters.Agree that Solly,in particular,has blotted many years of service as a model professional,I am afraid that as far as I am concerned neither should be welcomed as former players. A real shame as both in their own ways are (or were) club legends
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    End his contract.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Feel equally let down by Solly. The blokes just had a testimonial that many fans went out of their way to financially support.

Hes been very well supported by Charlton and it’s fans through his whole career and when the chips are down and we need more than ever players to fight for the badge in a relegation battle, he’s one of the last I’d have expected to say ‘no thanks’, regardless of contract situation. 
    I was really shocked by Solly to be honest.  A huge amount of effort went into his testimonial year BECAUSE of who he was.  Testimonials are rare these days but Chris was regarded as "one of us".  He refers to Charlton as "Us" not just the team he played for and that's why it's so galling.

I'd guess he's been told he won't be getting a new contract, he has a young child and hopefully has something lined up for next season (Gillingham is my guess) already so might as well spend some time with his family etc

If I am honest I reckon he's got enough "in the bank" to go with our blessing - as hard as it is to admit.
    I don’t get that I’m afraid mate, if people think ill of Taylor’s approach but give Solly a softer pass then they are bein hypocritical 
    I said days ago on the Taylor thread why is Solly not getting same vitriol aimed at him and jokingly said maybe I will start a thread about him for balance. 

Got called an attention seeking drama queen or something similar. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Swisdom said:

I said days ago on the Taylor thread why is Solly not getting same vitriol aimed at him and jokingly said maybe I will start a thread about him for balance. 

Actually it was:

reserve judgement until the full facts are out there before looking like a prima domma whinging bitch?

• Options
    Difficult this one. On one hand he falls into the Taylor bracket. .....just see out your contract & then you are free to move on. On the other he has been with us over 10 years & played 100's of games. Maybe that gives him a little leeway. Why he is doing it I have no idea. I hazard a guess is that as he hasn't  played since the new year & Matthew's has been 1st choice right back then perhaps he got the hump. Felt he deserved more in his final season & had a falling out with LB too. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Swisdom said:

Actually it was:

reserve judgement until the full facts are out there before looking like a prima domma whinging bitch?
    True... I was maybe a bit harsh on this bit and apologise for that (angry at the time) but still think there is too much of a knee jerk reaction
  • Options
    My opinion of both of them is the same. 

It seems that Taylor is public enemy number 1 because people think we need him to have a chance.  Solly gets a bit of a pass for his service etc etc but the real reason is we won't get relegated because Solly refused to play. 
  • Options
    He is hopeless now anyway no real loss. 

Sad that he didnt see out his contract, only reason he has been here so long is that nobody wanted a croc.

Probably end up at much lower league club and injured after a handful of games or go into coaching.

Sad end to an average career.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    It seems to me Chris Solly is in a slightly different boat.  I would assume he hasn't been offered a contract due to the dodgy ownership, he may well want to stay, but if he gets injured (not an unlikely event given his history) what is he going to do for rehab/treatment when he is essentially unemployed a week later?  
    Nothing to do with the ownership, if he's not wanted for next season, it's because Bowyer doesn't think he's good enough
  • Options
    Pretty much echoing the vast majority view.

Wherever he goes and i'd be amazed if it's a club of any stature higher than Gillingham or AFC Wimbledon he won't get an easy ride like he's had with us the last 3 years or so due to his previous loyalty. Probably last a year once they see he can't hack it playing twice a week.

Goodwill all gone now, hand the club captaincy over to Jason Pearce and terminate his contract.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Swisdom said:

Actually it was:

True... I was maybe a bit harsh on this bit and apologise for that (angry at the time) but still think there is too much of a knee jerk reaction
    No Problem. 
    It was just people saying one was
    ok and other in the wrong that confused me. 

I don’t actually have any negative views of either of them to be honest. 

If I was told to go back to the office next week I would say no and continue working from home. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm angry with Taylor, as he's Mr social media loudmouth, happy to eloquently (and often correctly) find fault elsewhere, yet has showed himself to be just as bad and selfish as those he attacks. 

With Solly, it's more disappointment, as you'd expect MASSIVELY more from a senior pro, the club captain. It's not as if he would be expected to play much, but as a senior pro he should be on our extended bench (9 players?) encouraging the youngsters, and to be there on the pitch when needed. If he wants to get into coaching, it would be great to be at the heart of the action too. And if he's worried about getting injured, why should anyone else risk giving him a one year contract?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Maybe being wise after the event but to me Solly’s demeanour hasn’t been right for some time now.  And by some time I mean about 18 months. Amateur psychology suggests that he has suffered the double whammy of his own diminishing capability at the same time as the club to which he has been very loyal (and vice versa) declines further and further into the mire. He must have been properly fed up not getting into the pitch at Wembley and Bowyer has unceremoniously dumped him whether there has been any falling out between the two or not. He’s also been collecting quite a lot of criticism from supporters when he has played (quite right as he has, largely, been shit). Despite the valiant efforts of the organisers, I get the feeling that his testimonial year was a bit of a damp squib too (very poor turnout at the Villa game).  All things considered I suspect that Chris is simply thoroughly fcuked off with it all and has been increasingly so for some time. If, as is conjectured, he is being shown the door, he’s just choosing to walk through it a little earlier.  No excuse for not honouring his contract of course but I think I get his state of mind. Just another sad episode in a series of sorry episodes. Really doesn’t  feel like “our Charlton” any more. Taylor can do one. Solly loses my respect too but his departure is strangely harder to take as it much more bluntly signifies the deep deep depths to which the club has sunk. 
  • Options
    I'm sad about both of them. Taylor I at least understand and he's hinted plenty of times about stuff behind the scenes. Solly is so much more private. I'd like him to be available, even if he's not called upon. And I hope one day he can explain why it's come to this. 
    Disappointed really. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Swisdom said:

Actually it was:

No Problem. 
    It was just people saying one was
    ok and other in the wrong that confused me. 

I don’t actually have any negative views of either of them to be honest. 

If I was told to go back to the office next week I would say no and continue working from home. 

At least you're willing to carry on working. Unlike Solly and Taylor.
  • Options
    IMHO, he’s clearly discussed this with Taylor and they’ve decided that they’ll both not play for the sake of their next contracts.

hes just as bad as Taylor and I hope they are both fined heavily whilst also being told to stay the fuck away.

i hope they both fail their medicals and are left clubless for some time.

pair of pricks 

• Options
    Don’t recall those coming to the end of their contracts refusing to play in the play offs last season.
  • Options
    chris solly was one my favourable club personnel 7-10 years ago. he's not even good enough or fit enough for the bench nowadays. i wouldn't be surprised if he's at afc wimbledon, gillingham or ebbsfleet. deserves his testimonal but he has no place here to put it bluntly.
  • Options
    I wonder if Chris had been told by his mates Bowyer and Jacko that he's not getting a new contract earlier in the season and he's been feeling a little sore about that. It would probably hurt a lot more to hear that from people you are close to, particularly Jackson, so maybe his mentality is that if they don't want him he won't bother, and he'll look out for himself seeing as the club doesn't care about him. I think some people are going overboard with their judgment of Solly's abilities at this point. He's not the player he was before his injuries when you honestly thought he could go on to the Prem, but he's hardly become a complete Seaborne either. He's a decent backup and I think we're really going to miss him seeing as Adam Matthews struggles to play consecutive Saturdays, let alone two games a week for two months. If Matthews twangs something we're going to be left with right back options of Oshilaja and nothing during a relegation scrap. That might hurt us more than not having Taylor given we've got Bonne, Hemed, Green, Aneke and Davison as alternatives up front. It's all a very depressing time at Charlton
  • Options

Chris Solly Solly
    He's only 5 foot 3.
    He's going to Lincoln City.
    Chris Solly Solly.