Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Chris Solly not playing (Dec 20 - Page.6 signs for Ebbsfleet)

Comments

• Options
    Has he made any announcement yet?  Really sad if he leaves this way.  
  • Options
    Isn't he on insta or twitter? Has anyone asked him?
  • Options
    TBH I'll forgive Solly a lot.  He has played for Charlton for his entire career and has battled and toughed his way against players he had no right to beat.  He's done a huge amount for the club and has come to embody an attitude that I associate with Charlton.  

Taylor doesn't give a shit.  He came in when we needed a striker, got a good offer when no-one else seemed to be that interested and had one good season for us.  We repayed that in this last season.  he will be a footnote.  Solly is a part of club history.  He isn't looking for a season on the bench with a wealthier club, he is looking to get a season or two more of playing.

Couple of interesting facts:

Solly made his full debut for the 1st team in the Football League Trophy against Barnet on 6 October 2009

Taylor's contract at Millwall expired on 1 July 2009
    Well that's not quite true, he had an offer from Sunderland apparently for more money. We'll never know if the money part was an embellishment from him, but there's no doubting there was an offer from Sunderland, who had been in the Prem two years before. Taylor's let us down but we shouldn't reinvent history.
    OK.  got a good offer when one other club seemed to be interested, possibly, but we don't know, and had one good season for us.

The comparisons with Solly fail to take into account the service that each player has done for the club.

I think the comparisons are taking in to account that both rats have deserted the sinking ship but one wouldn’t play without an injury or two elsewhere , so he’s getting an easier ride even though he is/was club captain and some can’t accept that this Mr Charlton bollox they have in their heads about him is just that because when the going gets tough the lame fuck off .

(It would help if there was something said by Solly maybe but then being honest has only wound everyone up more re Taylor )
    We'll have to agree to disagree. 
  • Options
    Isn't he on insta or twitter? Has anyone asked him?
    Yeah he's on twitter, imagine plenty of people have tweeted asking
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    TBH I'll forgive Solly a lot.  He has played for Charlton for his entire career and has battled and toughed his way against players he had no right to beat.  He's done a huge amount for the club and has come to embody an attitude that I associate with Charlton.  

Taylor doesn't give a shit.  He came in when we needed a striker, got a good offer when no-one else seemed to be that interested and had one good season for us.  We repayed that in this last season.  he will be a footnote.  Solly is a part of club history.  He isn't looking for a season on the bench with a wealthier club, he is looking to get a season or two more of playing.

Couple of interesting facts:

Solly made his full debut for the 1st team in the Football League Trophy against Barnet on 6 October 2009

Taylor's contract at Millwall expired on 1 July 2009
    Well that's not quite true, he had an offer from Sunderland apparently for more money. We'll never know if the money part was an embellishment from him, but there's no doubting there was an offer from Sunderland, who had been in the Prem two years before. Taylor's let us down but we shouldn't reinvent history.
    OK.  got a good offer when one other club seemed to be interested, possibly, but we don't know, and had one good season for us.

The comparisons with Solly fail to take into account the service that each player has done for the club.

That service makes Solly’s decision worse in my opinion. 
    I agree.  In no way do I condone Taylor's selfish stunt, yet he is heading for a club bigger than ours.  Solly, on the other hand, will be pootling around at Orient or Gillingham - which could never be considered a "life-changing move".  At least, not for the better.
  • Options
    He probably thinks he's paid his dues.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    He has.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    He has.
    Maybe so, but if he's being paid he should be available.
  • Options
    He’s shirked his dues
  • Options
    You have to wonder who’s advising these players ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    You have to wonder who’s advising these players ? 
    Certainly wonder who the PFA rep is at the club

They'd surely be offering their own advice to Taylor and Solly

I remember reading Left Foot Forward where Garry Nelson (who was our Rep back in the day) ran into Kim Grant at the Ground one day with the latter considering a new deal

Nelson advised him to take it because it was the best deal he'd get etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    He’s shirked his dues
    This. 
  • Options
    I can't see him getting any league contract.  I really enjoyed watching Chris.  Can't believe it was 10 odd years ago I saw him first against Barnet.  I hold no malice to him just don't see any logic to it.  
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    feel let down by this news.

for his testimonial game i took someone i know who has severe depression to the hospital. on his request we went straight from the hospital over to the game to catch the last 20 minutes.

all because he felt he should acknowledge and celebrate the loyalty of a long standing 'proper' Charlton player otherwise he would of felt guilty if he missed it. 
  • Options
    I just cant understand why he'd do this,and feel hes let team mates and fans down.
  • Options
    Is it possible that Solly was told that he wouldnt be offered a new contract at championship level, but at League One he might be ? That's a scenario that would explain the decision.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Still can't get over the fact he's bottling the end of his contract in the same season fans forked out money for his testimonial. 
    I’m glad I didn’t go now.
    Tight git.
    I’d rather give my money to you.
    Admission was £15, I'll have it next time we meet.
    I’ll pay you double if you fuck off out of my life.
    Make it £50 and it's a deal.
  • Options
    Is it possible that Solly was told that he wouldnt be offered a new contract at championship level, but at League One he might be ? That's a scenario that would explain the decision.
    Contract till 30th of June...he walked out,enough said, shouldn’t even be a scenario.

not having a pop at you HH by way,just totally disappointed in CS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst Taylor has been shooting his mouth off, Solly has been completely silent. I really would like to know what was behind his decision. I appreciate that he may feel that it is nobody else's business, but it saddens me to read so much criticism of a player who always gave everything when wearing the red shirt. It would be such a shame for his Charlton career to end in controversy.
  • Options
    I think his next opportunity will likely be below League One level, unless it's maybe Gillingham. But might include some coaching. Leyton Orient would be a good fit 
  • Options
    Always thought Solly would get a coaching job at Charlton,probably gone out of the window now
  • Options
    Contract till 30th of June...he walked out,enough said, shouldn’t even be a scenario.

I know. It's sad when something like this happens, but if Solly was told that he wouldn't get a contract at Championship level, then it could easily be argued that he'd be playing against his own best interests if he did turn out for the last few games. Pure speculation of course. Perhaps we'll find out for sure some day.
  • Options
    Unprofessional.
  • Options

I know. It's sad when something like this happens, but if Solly was told that he wouldn't get a contract at Championship level, then it could easily be argued that he'd be playing against his own best interests if he did turn out for the last few games. Pure speculation of course. Perhaps we'll find out for sure some day.
    Why?

Surely a good performance in the remaining 9 games would help him get a contract elsewhere? Josh Parker would have known that the only (slim) chance of getting another contract with us would be if we stayed down, but it didn't stop him trying his hardest at Wembley

And how do you value memories? Imagine being in the dressing room if we beat Wigan to guarantee survival, what a buzz that would be even without the spectators.
  • Options
    Whilst Taylor has been shooting his mouth off, Solly has been completely silent. I really would like to know what was behind his decision. I appreciate that he may feel that it is nobody else's business, but it saddens me to read so much criticism of a player who always gave everything when wearing the red shirt. It would be such a shame for his Charlton career to end in controversy.

While I have degree of sympathy with Solly's predicament, I have to say as time has gone by and he has not said a word my disappointment in him grows.  If he's going to down tools in the middle of a relegation battle, the least he can do is to stand up and justify his actions.  Slinking off with no explanation is not what I'd expect of him.  I thought he was a better man than that.  
  • Options
    That would make his decision completely unforgivable wouldn’t it. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Still can't get over the fact he's bottling the end of his contract in the same season fans forked out money for his testimonial. 
    I’m glad I didn’t go now.
    Tight git.
    I’d rather give my money to you.
    Admission was £15, I'll have it next time we meet.
    I’ll pay you double if you fuck off out of my life.
    Make it £50 and it's a deal.
    I actually like you. You can stay. 
  • Options
    Sorry if it's already been raised else where in another thread but has there been any more news on Chris Solly.