Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Chris Solly not playing (Dec 20 - Page.6 signs for Ebbsfleet)

Comments

• Options
    It’s very odd that he snaked us to sign a deal nine months later at a Conference South team. Would love to, one day, understand the rationale behind this decision.
  • Options
    https://nonleaguedaily.com/ex-charlton-man-solly-commits-to-ebbsfleet/

He'll be at Ebbsfleet next season as well, also taking on a coaching role

Quite a comedown really, considering he was at a Tier 2 club last season and now is in Tier 6
    Something doesn't add up here.  Solly is better than conference South!!!

I know he's had his injury problems, but surely could get a league club. Whether it's a lack of confidence or self belief I don't know, but something is not right with Solly & I personally find his decline rather sad
    He probably just doesn’t want to move away from where he lives. I think he probably could have got a league 2 club.

it’s all a bit strange really. 
  • Options
    I would have thought that he could do a job for Wimbledon in league 2 next year
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Quite a comedown really, considering he was at a Tier 2 club last season and now is in Tier 6
    I see screwing us over last June really got him that next decent contract then. 

Glad to see karma working again like it did for Taylor. 
    Perhaps the very thing that prevented him from leaving us during his career is stopping him from getting a contract at League 1 level i.e. his knees. He's 30 now and playing at non league level plus coaching might be the best option for him especially if the latter enables him to have a second career.

I wish him all the very best as I really do not believe that LB would have used him anyway. LB lumped his name (and Davis) onto Taylor's to demonstrate how short we were despite the fact that he hadn't picked him for six months.

And what has LB just done? Left us before the end of the season because it suited his needs to do so. Pot and kettle. Solly was a loyal servant for 11 years and played over 300 games for us. LB played less than 50 games and chose to leave us when he was 19. He then managed us for three years. We gave him that chance to get into management which he then used to further his career. 

I also never heard about Solly bullying anyone. And I am far more saddened by how it ended with him than I am about Solly's departure. 
    I don’t know, Solly did walk out on us, Bowyer didn’t just make it up. 

Solly was the club captain, had just been given a testimonial season, was under contract and we were in a relegation battle and he seemingly downed tools - whether he was getting picked or not that is absolutely appalling. 
    And Bowyer was the Club Manager. Please don't tell me that he didn't talk to Birmingham before he resigned either. 
  • Options
    I get he doesn't want to move away from where he lives but looking at other clubs, he could surely have got a contract at the likes of Orient, Southend, Colchester, Crawley, Bromley, Dagenham. All playing 1-2 leagues higher than where he is now.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Perhaps the very thing that prevented him from leaving us during his career is stopping him from getting a contract at League 1 level i.e. his knees. He's 30 now and playing at non league level plus coaching might be the best option for him especially if the latter enables him to have a second career.

I wish him all the very best as I really do not believe that LB would have used him anyway. LB lumped his name (and Davis) onto Taylor's to demonstrate how short we were despite the fact that he hadn't picked him for six months.

And what has LB just done? Left us before the end of the season because it suited his needs to do so. Pot and kettle. Solly was a loyal servant for 11 years and played over 300 games for us. LB played less than 50 games and chose to leave us when he was 19. He then managed us for three years. We gave him that chance to get into management which he then used to further his career. 

I also never heard about Solly bullying anyone. And I am far more saddened by how it ended with him than I am about Solly's departure. 

Solly was the club captain, had just been given a testimonial season, was under contract and we were in a relegation battle and he seemingly downed tools - whether he was getting picked or not that is absolutely appalling. 
    And Bowyer was the Club Manager. Please don't tell me that he didn't talk to Birmingham before he resigned either. 
    I’m completely comfortable with including Bowyer in that bracket if you want to. 
  • Options
    It’s most likely that being at Ebbsfleet is what’s going to make him happiest. That counts for a lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I’m completely comfortable with including Bowyer in that bracket if you want to. 
    Using that as a starting point, I would then question LB's motivation for making such a big thing about a player that he never intended to use. As someone put it to me, it was all about creating a "trench" mentality. In doing so, he hung Solly out to dry.

Solly was just one of a long line of players LB blamed for things not going well. Players he either then sold or just consigned them to sitting in the stands for long periods of time. To then use him to deflect from his own shortcomings is somewhat hypocritical. Solly might have been the Club Captain in name but his Manager wasn't treating him as such. Not even worthy of a place on the bench post Christmas.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Solly has intimated that he doesn't believe the true version of events were released.  I'm sure Cawley stated the above very briefly, months after Bowyer telling everyone.  The club didn't release his leaving interview that Olly Groome is said to have prepared.

If it was as Bowyer presented, it could be a multitude of reasons as to why Solly didn't want to play.  Maybe his young children have underlying health concerns, or maybe he has primary care roles for his parent.  Whatever it is all these people who criticised Bowyer for being black and white and losing the dressing room, seem to be the same ones who are happy to publically eviscerate someone on Bowyer's word.  Grow up, grow emotionally and gain some acceptance as a human being that you can empathise or at the very least forgive one of our best servants through much of the recent tough times.

I would like to think that Bowyer wouldn't have criticised Solly like he did if it was something like that. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Something still doesn't add up with Solly, it's frustrating that we haven't heard his side, maybe with Bowyer gone it will come out now

Unless I hear otherwise, I still think he let us down. As a club captain he should have been around the younger players, encouraging them, during the post lockdown period. Mark Noble, for example, does loads of off field work welcoming new signings to the club, and making sure the players are happy. As someone wanting to go into coaching, it would have been a real learning exercise, watching those final 9 games.

He clearly didn't plan to end up in a local NLS club, as if that was the plan he would have said so in the summer, and would have been snapped up by one of the SE London/Kent sides then. In NLS there are loads of local clubs, surely ONE would have wanted him in September if that was his plan - Ebbsfleet, Dartford, Welling, Maidstone, Tonbridge, Dulwich.  

Instead it comes across as getting a local club to regain fitness, and put himself in the shop window, and nobody was interested.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    He was a great servant to Charlton and I wish him well.
    I would like to see him hang up his boots and move into coaching full time before he damages his knees to the extent he can't walk properly. 
    I'd still love to hear his version of what actually happened regarding his refusal to play as well. 
    Yup, I feel the same
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I would like to see him hang up his boots and move into coaching full time before he damages his knees to the extent he can't walk properly. 
    I'd still love to hear his version of what actually happened regarding his refusal to play as well. 
    Yup, I feel the same
    Maybe he just didn't want to risk catching Covid playing in a contact sport & taking it home with him
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Yup, I feel the same
    Maybe he just didn't want to risk catching Covid playing in a contact sport & taking it home with him
    Possibly ... however if it was as simple as that, it would have been stated by now. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Yup, I feel the same
    But there is still a chance of catching now, whats changed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ColinTat said:
    Solly has intimated that he doesn't believe the true version of events were released.  I'm sure Cawley stated the above very briefly, months after Bowyer telling everyone.  The club didn't release his leaving interview that Olly Groome is said to have prepared.

If it was as Bowyer presented, it could be a multitude of reasons as to why Solly didn't want to play.  Maybe his young children have underlying health concerns, or maybe he has primary care roles for his parent.  Whatever it is all these people who criticised Bowyer for being black and white and losing the dressing room, seem to be the same ones who are happy to publically eviscerate someone on Bowyer's word.  Grow up, grow emotionally and gain some acceptance as a human being that you can empathise or at the very least forgive one of our best servants through much of the recent tough times.

I can only speak for myself but if my manager publicly lied about why I wasn't playing the final 9 games I'd would have made sure the press got my side of the story pronto. If you have something to say  then say it. All the time there is no contradiction from Solly you can only presume what you've been told by Bowyer  (ie, the club) is true.
  • Options
    He's been a free agent for 9 months. I don't know how walking out on Charlton benefited him in any kind of way. Why refuse to play?

People obviously have personal and private lives. 

Best not to make assumptions, but if I was to guess, I'd say he had health problems which were not visible to anyone on the surface.

He couldn't go to work.

His actions are disappointing, but all the best to him.

Get your fitness back and build yourself up again.

• Options
    ColinTat said:

I can only speak for myself but if my manager publicly lied about why I wasn't playing the final 9 games I'd would have made sure the press got my side of the story pronto. If you have something to say  then say it. All the time there is no contradiction from Solly you can only presume what you've been told by Bowyer  (ie, the club) is true.
    Or Sol's has more class than Bowyer than get involved in a public slanging match and undermine the club he spent 10 plus years at.
    Nothing to do with class- it's called speaking up & putting the record straight.

Anyway - I've spent too long discussing the "contract breaking 2". Both have experienced some form of karma over the past 9 months. Time for all to move on. 
  • Options
    Did I read that sollys side of the story was going to come out by now clearing him of any blame?

or have I imagined/made that up?
  • Options
    Charlton fans move on?
    Your having a laugh.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Using that as a starting point, I would then question LB's motivation for making such a big thing about a player that he never intended to use. As someone put it to me, it was all about creating a "trench" mentality. In doing so, he hung Solly out to dry.

Solly was just one of a long line of players LB blamed for things not going well. Players he either then sold or just consigned them to sitting in the stands for long periods of time. To then use him to deflect from his own shortcomings is somewhat hypocritical. Solly might have been the Club Captain in name but his Manager wasn't treating him as such. Not even worthy of a place on the bench post Christmas.
    Whether Solly was going to play or not it doesn’t excuse walking out on us whilst under contract and during a relegation battle. To me, a testimonial earning club captain has responsibilities that go beyond just playing in matches, he abdicated his with (as yet) no explanation. 

Solly should have gone down as a Charlton legend, he’s wrecked that, it’s a real shame. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

He’s playing for a team on his doorstep - with a young family he clearly puts some value on that and rightly so.

he will have made a half decent amount in his career and never seemed to be overly flashy with money so won’t need to sustain some unrealistic lifestyle.  His wife is his childhood sweetheart so isn’t going to run off with some other footballer - she’s not the traditional WAG.

I didn’t agree with his departure at the time but it’s history and I wish him all the best now.
    I agree.
    It was a sour end, but the bloke gave us a good 10+ years and that counts for something.
    I think that's the way I've tried to see it, I didn't like how he left but unlike Taylor I think he's someone possibly in the future although were not happy with now we will begin to recognize again for the service he gave us and what a good player he was for us. 

How long that is depends on where the club is, but we will see, I'd like to think that hopefully the way we try and see it.