Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Must be a busy plane if 60,808,164 people have to check out!!
  • Rylo said:
    sam3110 said:
    What does FFP look like in League 1? Drop down, get a couple of huge sponsorship deals, spunk a load of money on ridiculously good players on high wages and rip up the league, then laugh our way past the Championship sticking 2 fingers up at the likes of Wednesday and Derby
    I was wondering about this too. Could there be even the slightest chance that this is why MS said that it wouldn’t be the end of the world (not in those exact words) if we were relegated?

It would explain the “strange” comment by Bowyer,
    but goes completely against MS saying that they wanted the deal done quickly in order to bring in players before the end of the window.

It's one thing to have a contingency plan for a worst case scenario relegation.

But right now, we're already a Championship club. Why give that status up without a fight?
    Anyway, there's never any guarantee of instant promotion back to the Championship.
    It could be years before " ...... we came good".

Can't imagine those putting money into the club think that a step backwards and treading water is a good idea ..... ?

And I can't imagine Lee Bowyer would think it's a good idea either.

• Oggy Red said:
    Except not many "ridiculously good players" will want to play in League One.

And even if they did, "on high wages", you'd risk Billy Big Bollox syndrome in the squad.

Or was that a WHOOOOOOSH moment?  :smile:

Tongue in cheek comment
  • There won't be a shit storm.

Disappointment
    Concern
    Maybe a little anger and a lot of scepticism

No shit storm

I guarantee you that if we sign no one and we lose Saturday, there will be one almighty shit storm that will begin at the final whistle Saturday. 
  • If they were serious about using the transfer window to ensure we stay up wouldn't it have been better for MS to say to Gallen you have got a budget of x, do what you need to do.  

Gallen and Bowyer must have had an idea what they wanted/needed already.  Seems a strange time for MS to be learning on the job. 
  • An awful lot of hope and expectation falling on Lyle's shoulders in the light of the "as long as Taylor stays" comments.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Rylo said:
    sam3110 said:
    What does FFP look like in League 1? Drop down, get a couple of huge sponsorship deals, spunk a load of money on ridiculously good players on high wages and rip up the league, then laugh our way past the Championship sticking 2 fingers up at the likes of Wednesday and Derby
    I was wondering about this too. Could there be even the slightest chance that this is why MS said that it wouldn’t be the end of the world (not in those exact words) if we were relegated?

It would explain the “strange” comment by Bowyer,
    but goes completely against MS saying that they wanted the deal done quickly in order to bring in players before the end of the window.

It's one thing to have a contingency plan for a worst case scenario relegation.

But right now, we're already a Championship club. Why give that status up without a fight?
    Anyway, there's never any guarantee of instant promotion back to the Championship.
    It could be years before " ...... we came good".

Can't imagine those putting money into the club think that a step backwards and treading water is a good idea ..... ?

And I can't imagine Lee Bowyer would think it's a good idea either.

I completely agree. It was just the FFP question that stood out, as it was something that I had wondered recently. Would we be better off in terms of what we could spend if we were in league one? I guess not since the revenue streams would be very limited. 

I honestly don’t think that they’ve gone into this to fail. I still have a good feeling about the long term, but this transfer window has left me a bit unsure of where the short term plans are. Like I said, there’s still time to get players in. If we do that, plus get a few back from injury, PLUS keep who we have, I’m confident we can beat the drop. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Grant McCann is proper starting to wind me up. If he signs Maddison that's now 4 players (others being Tafazolli, Eaves & Herbie Kane) that I have banged the drum about and he has swooped in for them all. Can't believe the guy has my posts on notifications 
    Grant McCann is proper starting to wind me up. If he signs Maddison that's now 4 players (others being Tafazolli, Eaves & Herbie Kane) that I have banged the drum about and he has swooped in for them all. Can't believe the guy has my posts on notifications 

Maddison played for McCann at Peterborough .. that could be good or bad depending of course on their relationship 
  • J BLOCK said:
    There won't be a shit storm.

Disappointment
    Concern

No shit storm

I guarantee you that if we sign no one and we lose Saturday, there will be one almighty shit storm that will begin at the final whistle Saturday. 
    A 'What the fuck is going on?' chant wouldn't be out of place. 
  • Southbank said:
    It really is now only about keeping Taylor. With our squad, we can cope with a normal midfield injury  attrition rate, but not without a cutting edge up front. Very simple. Southall could offer Taylor a big pay rise to stay until May, and whatever that would cost would still be worth it compared with any available alternative. Taylor would be motivated by the extra money and the knowledge he can leave in May. We would get the benefit of Taylor in the run in without a dubious longer term commitment.
    Agree we need to keep him until the end of the season but no reason to give him a pay rise for the remainder of his contract. He will be in the shop window until the summer and the better he performs the better contract he can demand , wherever he ends up
  • If we were are so sure that ESI haven’t got any money blah blah then surely they would have sold Doughty to any willing suitor?

We have to stay calm! Everybody was panicking just before the start of the season remember!? We have to try and trust the process!!

• Nothing expected from Charlton tonight in terms of announcing deals etc.
    What the actual Fck is going on 
  • Sponsored links:

• So we're not even close on anything. Got it. 

• Nothing expected from Charlton tonight in terms of announcing deals etc.
    'etcetera'
    Hmmmn. The mystery deepens.
  • Getting a very bad feeling about this!!
  • J BLOCK said:

Disappointment
    Concern

No shit storm

Yeah, even the Blindly Optimistic will become Bed Wetters. 

• Lyle Taylor has odds on Skybet website

• "We're fucking skiiiiint"

Millwall at 20/1 haha
  • J BLOCK said:

Disappointment
    Concern

No shit storm

Only on social media.  Nothing in the real world.
    Henry, do you think if we don’t have a good deadline day that HE would come through Crossbars similar to MS? I’m not sure he would because of possible unhappy voices. I’d agree that a loss would see much of the unhappiness vented on social media rather than in the ground.

Hate to say it  .. Brentford's style of football would suit him perfectly .. AND they have money to spend but won't waste it