Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• McGeady on loan to the end of the season would be a good signing. Sunderland are keen to get him off the payroll and we probably won't have to pay all his wages. Out of favour up there , apparently fallen out with Parky
  • I’m somewhere in the middle of the two polar arguments.

I believe strongly in the giving of time, but if you buy a football club in potential relegation danger before a transfer window and your squad is weaker at the end of it, that would raise serious questions on both acquisition intent and funding ability. 

Might be wrong but sense the bulk of us fall in that category. 
    Beautifully put.
  • We got till mid day tomorrow for the match day squad for Saturday.
  • Random comment on Facebook saying something might be going on as nobody is being let near the training ground. Probably absolutely nothing, I’m that desperate.
    You mean they've grabbed another team's player ..... and keeping him hostage until he signs?

• Oggy Red said:

That plane has gone over Paris... we're obviously bringing in Mbappe
    You don't seem very good at geography, Forever ..... it's missed Paris completely, let alone even all of France! :wink:

Zoom in on the photo... Clearly goes over Paris ;)
  • Random comment on Facebook saying something might be going on as nobody is being let near the training ground. Probably absolutely nothing, I’m that desperate.
    Awaiting Darren Purse to speed down the Lane. 
  • As an aside the deadline is poorly timed, with transfers after 12pm not available for the next day's matches

And 2 Championship matches that evening too
  • Sponsored links:

• Matthews
    Sollly
    Pearce
    Lockyer
    Sarr
    Purrington

Cullen
    Pratley
    Oztumer
    Williams
    Field
    Green
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Forster-Caskey

Taylor
    Bonne 
    Hemed
    Davison
    Aneke

Maddison would probably be a starter if added to the squad. If Clarke-Harris signs and is not a replacement for Taylor then he would probably move above Bonne and Hemed in the pecking order but would not start ahead of Taylor. Otherwise we are only really going to attract squad players. 
    First game of the season we didn’t have Matthews, Oztumer or Hemed. We have lost Gallacher and Leko who we have replaced with Green. Therefore the make up of the squad is one who many, including Bowyer, we’re talking up as play off candidates. Then, of course injuries hit and we know what has happened.
    Who apart from those I’ve mentioned is going to come in and improve the squad whilst also being willing to leave their current team for possible relegation?
    Unless we offer stupid money and stupid wages I think additions will be minimal and ESI aren’t going to do that. I think the hope of a host of signings is evaporating. But, these players are certainly good enough to keep us up.
    No they're not

not without a goalie they're not :-)
  • Oggy Red said:

That plane has gone over Paris... we're obviously bringing in Mbappe
    You don't seem very good at geography, Forever ..... it's missed Paris completely, let alone even all of France! :wink:

Zoom in on the photo... Clearly goes over Paris ;)
    Not on my laptop it doesn't.

But it does seem to call in at Belgium.

Tahnoon heard that Christophe Le Pointe was available?

• Karl Robinson must fucking hate the January transfer window.
  • Matthews
    Sollly
    Pearce
    Lockyer
    Sarr
    Purrington

Cullen
    Pratley
    Oztumer
    Williams
    Field
    Green
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Forster-Caskey

Taylor
    Bonne 
    Hemed
    Davison
    Aneke

Maddison would probably be a starter if added to the squad. If Clarke-Harris signs and is not a replacement for Taylor then he would probably move above Bonne and Hemed in the pecking order but would not start ahead of Taylor. Otherwise we are only really going to attract squad players. 
    First game of the season we didn’t have Matthews, Oztumer or Hemed. We have lost Gallacher and Leko who we have replaced with Green. Therefore the make up of the squad is one who many, including Bowyer, we’re talking up as play off candidates. Then, of course injuries hit and we know what has happened.
    Who apart from those I’ve mentioned is going to come in and improve the squad whilst also being willing to leave their current team for possible relegation?
    Unless we offer stupid money and stupid wages I think additions will be minimal and ESI aren’t going to do that. I think the hope of a host of signings is evaporating. But, these players are certainly good enough to keep us up.
    No they're not

not without a goalie they're not :-)
    Or without Taylor
    This is the nadir.  Not you @cafc_harry, the fact someone has come out and said nobody is being let near the training ground.  Absolutely brilliant 
  • What does FFP look like in League 1? Drop down, get a couple of huge sponsorship deals, spunk a load of money on ridiculously good players on high wages and rip up the league, then laugh our way past the Championship sticking 2 fingers up at the likes of Wednesday and Derby
  • A consideration must be the FFP limit of £39m losses over three seasons (given equity injection). 

Given that we are in the clear looking backwards, as we are well inside that figure, and that this will be the first of the ESI seasons to drop off as we go forward, there is a case for an above par investment on players at the end of this season, so that in 2022/23 we can go bigger again.

That would give us two more years in the Championship before a real push.

If we spend too much in this window, we will reduce the opportunity to deal after the end of the season when there is going to be much better value about. We also have a few more months to research players that weren't in our price range prior to ESI arriving. I am assuming that the 'season' ends at the end of June by the way.

There is a thin line between having that reasoning built in to a 5 year plan and falling short in this window and being relegated. I don't envy the people tasked with undertaking all of this, particularly given the number of hysterical supporters popping up with their two penn'orth.
    I actually think that as we are as close as we will ever get this season to breaking even then spending now or before end of June is an advantage.
  • edited January 2020
    Except not many "ridiculously good players" will want to play in League One.

And even if they did, "on high wages", you'd risk Billy Big Bollox syndrome in the squad.

Or was that a WHOOOOOOSH moment?  :smile:

• So our operations costs are £13m a year loss.Three years is £39m leaves no money for transfers?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simply, our squad is good enough to stay up if all players stay fit and match ready. 
    unfortunately they don't look like they can and we are thin on the ground if not. So we need players now. 
  • sam3110 said:
    What does FFP look like in League 1? Drop down, get a couple of huge sponsorship deals, spunk a load of money on ridiculously good players on high wages and rip up the league, then laugh our way past the Championship sticking 2 fingers up at the likes of Wednesday and Derby
    I was wondering about this too. Could there be even the slightest chance that this is why MS said that it wouldn’t be the end of the world (not in those exact words) if we were relegated? It would explain the “strange” comment by Bowyer, but goes completely against MS saying that they wanted the deal
    done quickly in order to bring in players before the end of the window.

I have absolutely no idea what’s happening, but until the window closes tomorrow there’s still a chance we could bring in (and hopefully keep) players that will make the difference.
  • cafc4life said:
    Brentford Have bid £3mil for fosu and baptiste from Oxford 
    And I still to this day don’t understand why we let Fosu go
    Rumoured he turned up late for training & didn't have the right attitude. No idea if true. 
  • On a side note I was thinking a couple of days ago that Fosu would walk into our team right now. I understand why we let him go but he was one player I wanted to stay and do well for us

• easyJet??
  • I’ve always thought it was silly to get rid of Fosu. Excellent player particularly in his first season with us, i guess Bow just didn’t fancy him?
  • I wonder if Southall has told Tahnoon that’s he’s probably flying into a shitstorm.
  • It really is now only about keeping Taylor. With our squad, we can cope with a normal midfield injury  attrition rate, but not without a cutting edge up front. Very simple. Southall could offer Taylor a big pay rise to stay until May, and whatever that would cost would still be worth it compared with any available alternative. Taylor would be motivated by the extra money and the knowledge he can leave in May. We would get the benefit of Taylor in the run in without a dubious longer term commitment.