Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• I love Lyle Taylor and praying he stays, but he's nowhere near prem quality imo 

The same was said about Pope, JBG and wait for it Francis.

I respect your opinion but if any Premier club have bid for Lyle he will insist the club accept it, as this has been Taylor's ambition ever since he cleaned Neil Harris' boots.
    Not to Norwich though. They would just be buying for next season.
  • seth plum said:
    After the window 'slams shut' I am behind a straightforward sporting/footballing relegation fight with whatever resources we have left.
    We have to deal with what we have and the game by game challenges, not bemoan what we haven't got.
    It matters that we don't run away, shaved heads, cold baths, steely focus and resilience is called for.
    Stay up on goal differences if we have to or if we can.

Hear, hear.
  • Croydon said:
    Would not want to stand in the way of him moving to a prem side. You dont get many chances at that so you have to take them. The price should be fair though and we should put a fair chunk of cash into a replacement. 

If he went to a Championship team I would be pissed. in that case it would be better to keep him until the summer and lose him on a free.
    Never understand this mentality. I'm not friends with Lyle, he's not a family member, he's a footballer that plays for the club I love. Charlton interests come way before his own for me. I couldn't care less if he never plays Premiership football, I'd rather we kept him and stayed up. 
    Thats your view and you're entitled to it. Mine is that he is a player who has come here been huge for us, engaged with the fans and has been key to our propotion last year, one of the most enjoyable seasons for me and our day out at wembley. He is a key reason that people have reconnected with the club and hes great around the place. Hes always given his all even after he didn't get his move in the summer. Obviously I would love him to stay (and lead us to the Premier league) but realistically its not gonna happen. If he got the opportunity to change his life and play in the most popular (and highest paying) league in the world then I wouldn't stand in the way. Any prem team could pay us handsomely as well. 
  • Aiden McGeady anyone?
    Either Aiden McGeady or anyone would be good signings at this point
  • Past his best though isn’t he. If Sunderland want rid not sure how he can help our survival bid. Would have him behind Williams and Oztumer. It’s a no for me.
  • McGeady's not exactly done much for them this season. But over no one, yeah why not. 
  • Bowyer loves McGeady. Was the one player he said he’d have from Sunderland’s squad after we played them at the valley. Said he was the best player in the league.
  • Aged 34 in a couple of months
  • Sponsored links:

• I think his wage demands wouldn't fit in with the ESI business model.
  • I think his wage demands wouldn't fit in with the ESI business model.
    Because he would want more than £4 a day plus a packet of hobnobs.
  • Bubble said:
    Feels a bit tarnished as a key part of the Sunderland side that got relegated and then failed to go up again, obviously still a talented player, but does he help the team?
  • Actually think he’d be decent. We’ve got a lot of kids in the squad. Be great for someone like Doughty to learn from. 
  • Aiden McGeady anyone?
    Aiden McGeady anyone?

been mentioned on here a few times .. Bowyer has stated he really rates him .. short term ? .. he'd do for me
  • buckshee said:
    Newcastle still in for him - pretty sure Bruce signed him when he was at Hull.
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Imagine the meltdown Saturday if we lose Tayler, no incomings & lose to Barnsley!  
    Can’t understand why ESI rushed through this deal in time for the transfer window! Going to get pelters!!!!!
    Imagine we win on Saturday, Taylor plays and scores a goal.

Glass half empty vs glass half full

Nobody has done much yet this window.  We are so used to the "We need bodies" line being rolled out but the fact is the midfield is nearly back to the beginning of the season (you know - when we were playing very well) and the players should, theoretically, be less fatigued than many of our opposition.
    Bonne will be fit soon, Hemed showed signs of being near to match fit last week, Aneke seems to have got fit and seemingly found some goalscoring boots whilst he was absent.  

There is still 18 hours to go and I don't believe we won't sign anyone.  Still very hopeful on Maddison.  But the bottom line is our destiny is in our own hands.  We have the players to stay up.

It's never easy being a Charlton fan, we all know that, but things ARE better than they were a couple of months ago and the future is, seemingly, bright.  Just a slightly sticky patch to navigate at the moment
    great post .. 2 things .. Gallagher the midfield mainstay back in the autumn has gone .. if Taylor scores a hat trick on Saturday and let's hope he does, that will be after 'the window' has closed and we will be left with what we have .. playing a devil's advocate role here b t w ((:>)
    Gallagher was, and is, a fantastic player.  He came from nowhere and when that midfield was purring he was a big part of it.  His last handful of games were a little disappointing though in honesty and maybe a 19 year old rookie isn't quite up to a dogfight at this stage of his career.  Seems Chelsea thought that too.  Besides we now have Doughty who, once he calms down and delivers accurately, will be a great asset to us.  

Saying that - Maddison is like Doughty on steroids so if we get him in too I'll be like a dog with two dicks.
    I thought you were close to "the club"? If you are you'll know that Gallagher left because of his agent. Not "Chelsea", at least not Tore Andre Flo, running the rule over him at Sparrows Lane in December. 

No blame attaches to ESI or anyone at Charlton for this one.

Take a look at this interview with Gallagher in today's Guardian. Note that not a word, not a single word is there on why he moved from us to Swansea. Now ask yourself, isn't that a little odd? Well not if his agent arranged it or did most of the talking for him.
    If Chelsea weren't on side with him moving he wouldn't have - but he did so they must have had some input.  I also know he was pretty much in tears when he was leaving the training ground - he was happy here.  I wish him well and vbelieve he is going to go on and have a great career and I place no blame whatsoever on ESI, CAFC or Conor.  

Agents are a necessary evil in this game and, sadly, some are more interested in themselves and not the player.  An agent that puts the player first would be a cracking business model!! ;-) 
  • Aiden McGeady anyone?
    No

Next
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Apparently (according to Sunderland fan at work) he had a massive falling out with Parky when Phil first arrived. He said the team needed to be fitter and brought in a new regime but McGeady basically started mouthing off in that team meeting and refused to follow the new fitness regime so Parky wants rid.

Not sure that fits Bow's outlook
  • Hoping we can hang on to Phillips, Doughty and Taylor - would be a good window if we could.
  • Aston Villa still want another striker , Taylor?.
  • If lyle goes and no replacement we are sunk.

At least ESL will have money to go towards purchase of the valley and sparrows.
  • Hoping we can hang on to Phillips, Doughty and Taylor - would be a good window if we could.
    That wouldn’t constitute a good window. We need more players. Keeping those three would be great but no additions means it’s still a poor window.
    I was joking sadly - my expectations are now very low...
  • Addickted said:
    buckshee said:
    Newcastle still in for him - pretty sure Bruce signed him when he was at Hull.
    Doesn’t matter who signs him, if he goes then Maddison joins them
  • Why do people keep typing ESL?!
  • edited January 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Why do people keep typing ESL?!
    Tell them, @Pelling1993
  • sam3110 said:
    Why do people keep typing ESL?!
    ESI
    ESL
    EDL

I always knew Charlton Life was full of secret racists.