Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    joeaddick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    it seems obvious we are still trying to buy in the bargain basement department of footballers and that raises a very large red flag . 
    That's where the bargains are, Beds.

You've only got to look at Brentford's model in the Championship.
    And Southall has already said that's something he aspires to.

They buy players like Konsa for £3M and sell for £12M...If selling on our best players is the plan, which going by the PR so far, it seems to be, then we need to stop predominately signing loans, and start signing better permanents.

We also need to get our good academy players on contracts that actually helps the footballing side of the Club going forward.
    Well, we will see in time. 

There may have been others that we don't know about but we've already been told that this window significant bids have been accepted for Maddison and the Bristol Rovers striker. That fits the ESI model.

In the summer Bows will want to keep the nucleus of the squad together ........ and improve with new signings, that no doubt fit the ESI model.
    However, there's first the issue of keeping Championship status - and loans have to play their part in that. Not many clubs attempt a major squad rebuild in January.

I'm sure the club are already on the case for Academy players to have improved contracts - already Doughty and Morgan have been approached. 
    No doubt there are others too.

• Anyone know who the potential Premier League clubs are that would be interested in Lyle Taylor? Brighton maybe? Watford and Villa?
  • sam3110 said:
    According to SSN LB wants LT to stay amongst Premier League interest
    If there is prem interest, its life without Lyle as of 11:02pm tomorrow. 

Suck it up now and come to terms with it. No way would he stay for prem wages
  • sam3110 said:
    Anyone know who the potential Premier League clubs are that would be interested in Lyle Taylor? Brighton maybe? Watford and Villa?
    Newcastle perhaps as a cheaper version than Bowen?
  • kentred2 said:
    Reading that article from Bows I can only conclude that ESI have no money . Why else would he say we are relying on favours? 
    Of course ESI have money. They just paid £50 mill for our football club! 

My take on it is that Agents know this and are asking silly money for their players hence we’ve now turned our attention to the loan market. That plus the fact that our current position in the Championship is putting players off joining us.
    Have they? No evidence of that yet. 
    Can you see a tight old cnut like Roland working on an IOU
    He still owns the Valley & Sparrows Lane
    With a legal obligation to change hands within 6 months
    Yes I think we're all aware of that but at the moment he is our landlord. 
  • robroy said:
    sam3110 said:

We don't have to sell him though. 
  • I think he'd do a job for a team like Newcastle or Villa tbf. 
  • It feels blasphemous to say it, but Palace are pretty thin up top...
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    That's the problem though, Premier League interest.

You can't blame Taylor, soon to be 30 years old, should a golden chance fall into his lap to play in the Prem.
    He's played and scored in every division of senior English football except the Prem.

Can you deny a fella the opportunity to fulfill his career ambition and complete the set?
    It may be his only chance. 

After all, he saw his mate Grant grab the opportunity.

• It feels blasphemous to say it, but Palace are pretty thin up top...
    So am I 
  • Maddison is on his way somewhere, just posted an Instagram story with him in the car and a "wondering emoji" 
  • I can see him leading the line at Brighton alongside Maupay or being another option to Deeney at Watford. I hope he stays but if he leaves I hope a prerequisite of it is a loanee from that club as a replacement. Maybe that's where the Isaac Success talk has come from?
  • Talal said:
    robroy said:
    sam3110 said:

No we "DON'T" have to. However, we "WOULD" if a prem team wanted to change his life with a two year life changing salary. We can't and won't deny that as a club. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Imagine the meltdown Saturday if we lose Tayler, no incomings & lose to Barnsley!  
    Can’t understand why ESI rushed through this deal in time for the transfer window! Going to get pelters!!!!!
    Imagine we win on Saturday, Taylor plays and scores a goal.

Glass half empty vs glass half full

Nobody has done much yet this window.  We are so used to the "We need bodies" line being rolled out but the fact is the midfield is nearly back to the beginning of the season (you know - when we were playing very well) and the players should, theoretically, be less fatigued than many of our opposition.
    Bonne will be fit soon, Hemed showed signs of being near to match fit last week, Aneke seems to have got fit and seemingly found some goalscoring boots whilst he was absent.  

There is still 18 hours to go and I don't believe we won't sign anyone.  Still very hopeful on Maddison.  But the bottom line is our destiny is in our own hands.  We have the players to stay up.

It's never easy being a Charlton fan, we all know that, but things ARE better than they were a couple of months ago and the future is, seemingly, bright.  Just a slightly sticky patch to navigate at the moment
    great post .. 2 things .. Gallagher the midfield mainstay back in the autumn has gone .. if Taylor scores a hat trick on Saturday and let's hope he does, that will be after 'the window' has closed and we will be left with what we have .. playing a devil's advocate role here b t w ((:>)
    Gallagher was, and is, a fantastic player.  He came from nowhere and when that midfield was purring he was a big part of it.  His last handful of games were a little disappointing though in honesty and maybe a 19 year old rookie isn't quite up to a dogfight at this stage of his career.  Seems Chelsea thought that too.  Besides we now have Doughty who, once he calms down and delivers accurately, will be a great asset to us.  

Saying that - Maddison is like Doughty on steroids so if we get him in too I'll be like a dog with two dicks.
    I thought you were close to "the club"? If you are you'll know that Gallagher left because of his agent. Not "Chelsea", at least not Tore Andre Flo, running the rule over him at Sparrows Lane in December. 

No blame attaches to ESI or anyone at Charlton for this one.

Take a look at this interview with Gallagher in today's Guardian. Note that not a word, not a single word is there on why he moved from us to Swansea. Now ask yourself, isn't that a little odd? Well not if his agent arranged it or did most of the talking for him.
  • Would not want to stand in the way of him moving to a prem side. You dont get many chances at that so you have to take them. The price should be fair though and we should put a fair chunk of cash into a replacement. 

If he went to a Championship team I would be pissed. in that case it would be better to keep him until the summer and lose him on a free.
  • I love Lyle Taylor and praying he stays, but he's nowhere near prem quality imo 

The same was said about Pope, JBG and wait for it Francis.

I respect your opinion but if any Premier club have bid for Lyle he will insist the club accept it, as this has been Taylor's ambition ever since he cleaned Neil Harris' boots.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aiden McGeady anyone?
  • robroy said:
    Talal said:
    robroy said:
    sam3110 said:

No we "DON'T" have to. However, we "WOULD" if a prem team wanted to change his life with a two year life changing salary. We can't and won't deny that as a club. 
    Are we a charity all of a sudden then? He's contracted to us and I'm sure would still get a good club/wage in 6 months time. Maybe I'm being harsh but it would leave us up shit creek. 
  • We now have Roland who gives the manager a contract, goes to the games and says nice things on camera.  That’s where we are right now.
  • Davo55 said:
    We don’t know what’s going to happen in the next 36 hours but any judgement on ESI over the weekend could (or should) only be an interim assessment. I share concerns about whether they really have the funding to compete in the Championship but equally understand that January is not the best time to be doing any more than patching the gaps. 

Failure to do so will weaken our chances of avoiding relegation. Selling Lyle will damage those chances immeasurably. So let’s hope they can pull a few rabbits out of their hats. 

But the real judgement will come at the end of August. If ESI have not by then substantially improved the starting eleven and the squad, if they have not completed on the deal to acquire the freehold of the Valley and Sparrows Lane, and if they have not made a start on the development of the academy - then we’ll know it was all just PR spin. 

All we can do for now is wait, and hope. 
    Well said sir.
  • Would not want to stand in the way of him moving to a prem side. You dont get many chances at that so you have to take them. The price should be fair though and we should put a fair chunk of cash into a replacement. 

If he went to a Championship team I would be pissed. in that case it would be better to keep him until the summer and lose him on a free.
    Having said that we should have set a deadline of say 20th January and said thats it

Never understand this mentality. I'm not friends with Lyle, he's not a family member, he's a footballer that plays for the club I love. Charlton interests come way before his own for me. I couldn't care less if he never plays Premiership football, I'd rather we kept him and stayed up. 
  • edited January 2020

How can prem teams be interested in Lyle its crazy. Almost 30, just come back from a lengthy injury and because of this barely able to prove himself in the championship.

I'd be absolutely amazed if he went to a prem team, but if it is true and prem teams are actually after him ....I certainly wouldn't begrudge him leaving as painful as it would be.

Simple. He scores goals. And many sides are struggling for them. Look at Bournemouth.
    So what do they do. Take a punt on a 25 yo Italian/German/Spaniard who's likely to take a while to settle the country let alone the club for £10-15 million. Or go for a goal scorer who's already settled in this country and is at least half the price?
    Both of them are gambles.
  • Talal said:
    robroy said:
    Talal said:
    robroy said:
    sam3110 said:

Are we a charity all of a sudden then? He's contracted to us and I'm sure would still get a good club/wage in 6 months time. Maybe I'm being harsh but it would leave us up shit creek. 
    Same thing happened last Jan with Grant. No not a charity case, but the club would take the money if the play said he was adamant on going and that was it.