Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• If ESI don't sign anyone but we stay up they will be hailed as visionaries. Knowing that we had the quality in the squad and not living beyond means.

Of course, if we go down they will be forever held as potless chancers.

In reality I think a decent CM and CF pretty much guarantees surival. So you think they must have no trousers if they cant stretch.

However, the opposing view is those two additions could potentially bankrupt us if we make signings and go down.

So I have come to the conclusion that nothing will be proven in the short term. Too many imponderables. Just got to support the team and hope we have enough quality and luck with injuries to get another 20 points.

My biggest reassurance is found in three words

Barnsley
    Luton
    Wigan
  • Just listened to Bowyers interview on valley pass. Doesn't sound like anything is imminent, I dont think he's being coy. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Interview on the official site doesn't read as bad. I'm hoping that Bowyer is just continuing his usual trait of being coy with the press, otherwise I really don't know what to think.
    Do you think our comms team would put anything other than a positive spin on it? 
    Do you think the Newshopper wouldn't make it look bad to increase site visits? Works both ways mate.
  • Chunes said:
    Clarke-Harris looks a great investment for 1 million at 25 years old. Left-footer, very strong, scores inside and outside the box. And judging by the Guardian article is a top bloke.

I'd be happy with Greg Docherty, though don't know a lot about him, seems to have potential going by Ranger's fans comments.

If we get these over the line tomorrow I'd think that's a good start going into deadline day.

But Lyle must stay. ESI can't sell our star striker when we're in a relegation battle.
    The offer was too good to turn down for a 30 year old at the end of their contract & will enable us to make some quality signings to strengthen the team in the fight against relegation.

Friday 31/01/20

Unfortunately we had a couple of top level players lined up but just couldn't get them over the line but have every faith in LB .................... etc
  • Swisdom said:
    Imagine the meltdown Saturday if we lose Tayler, no incomings & lose to Barnsley!  
    Can’t understand why ESI rushed through this deal in time for the transfer window! Going to get pelters!!!!!
    Imagine we win on Saturday, Taylor plays and scores a goal.

Glass half empty vs glass half full

Nobody has done much yet this window.  We are so used to the "We need bodies" line being rolled out but the fact is the midfield is nearly back to the beginning of the season (you know - when we were playing very well) and the players should, theoretically, be less fatigued than many of our opposition.
    Bonne will be fit soon, Hemed showed signs of being near to match fit last week, Aneke seems to have got fit and seemingly found some goalscoring boots whilst he was absent.  

There is still 18 hours to go and I don't believe we won't sign anyone.  Still very hopeful on Maddison.  But the bottom line is our destiny is in our own hands.  We have the players to stay up.

It's never easy being a Charlton fan, we all know that, but things ARE better than they were a couple of months ago and the future is, seemingly, bright.  Just a slightly sticky patch to navigate at the moment
    great post .. 2 things .. Gallagher the midfield mainstay back in the autumn has gone .. if Taylor scores a hat trick on Saturday and let's hope he does, that will be after 'the window' has closed and we will be left with what we have .. playing a devil's advocate role here b t w ((:>)
  • Greenie said:

I welcome Clems post.

I am not going to challenge the nature of the transfer decisions being made at this time.

I have made clear what my expectations are in respect of the executive need to drive momentum, indicate progress and provide the support and resources to the manager to whom you have now given a 3.5yr contract but I am not sitting at the negotiating table. 

I am uncomfortable with the nature of the dialogue on social media including much of the comment on this and other threads too much of it based on speculation, half truths, misinformation and peoples inability to read or listen properly.

I am however equally uncomfortable that again in a very short space of time the executive have not stepped ahead of this situation and cut off this noise before it started. For a fledgling business the perception of competence is everything.

The wrong noises permeate every part of your ability trade into areas you would never even think about.

We had the confusion over ownership of The Valley (which at this point is a distraction I will address elsewhere)

We had the confusion over Bowyers' contract.

We had the disappointment over Gallagher.

We have the concerns over Taylor.

These are however not just social media concerns. They are the concerns of clubhouse management and the players the executive is there to support.

Today we again we have another Managerial "briefing" which undermines the message of support and progress. Forget the noise on social media it is a message which will undermine the very fabric of your business.

Mr Southall I do not judge people on past financial challenges, I do not judge peoples long term value to contributing to any business until 6 months in situ. Hell even the most rabid financial media give major corporate CEOs 2 quarters trading before the knives come out.

Mr Southall I judge people not on personality but on performance.

Mr Southall just who is in control of this business?

If there is a message to be sent get control of it, deliver clarity and direction and send it yourself or people will make up their own and you will never pull it back

There is not enough time in the day to reactively manage any business.

The question for any executive is "Am I running this business or is this business running me?"

Mr Southall which is it?

Where’s the rest of the post, it’s about 3000 words too short!
    Disappointed! 
    Post it note version!
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    But we never invested or replaced those players.
    We did; we replaced Reid with Lee Cook, Kermorgant with Polish Pete and Reza..
    Lee Cook had two loan spells with us, both before RD bought the club.
  • Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    But we never invested or replaced those players.
    We did; we replaced Reid with Lee Cook, Kermorgant with Polish Pete and Reza..
    Lee Cook had two loan spells with us, both before RD bought the club.
    And not very good on either occasion
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Imagine the meltdown Saturday if we lose Tayler, no incomings & lose to Barnsley!  
    Can’t understand why ESI rushed through this deal in time for the transfer window! Going to get pelters!!!!!
    Imagine we win on Saturday, Taylor plays and scores a goal.

Glass half empty vs glass half full

Nobody has done much yet this window.  We are so used to the "We need bodies" line being rolled out but the fact is the midfield is nearly back to the beginning of the season (you know - when we were playing very well) and the players should, theoretically, be less fatigued than many of our opposition.
    Bonne will be fit soon, Hemed showed signs of being near to match fit last week, Aneke seems to have got fit and seemingly found some goalscoring boots whilst he was absent.  

There is still 18 hours to go and I don't believe we won't sign anyone.  Still very hopeful on Maddison.  But the bottom line is our destiny is in our own hands.  We have the players to stay up.

It's never easy being a Charlton fan, we all know that, but things ARE better than they were a couple of months ago and the future is, seemingly, bright.  Just a slightly sticky patch to navigate at the moment
    great post .. 2 things .. Gallagher the midfield mainstay back in the autumn has gone .. if Taylor scores a hat trick on Saturday and let's hope he does, that will be after 'the window' has closed and we will be left with what we have .. playing a devil's advocate role here b t w ((:>)
    Gallagher was, and is, a fantastic player.  He came from nowhere and when that midfield was purring he was a big part of it.  His last handful of games were a little disappointing though in honesty and maybe a 19 year old rookie isn't quite up to a dogfight at this stage of his career.  Seems Chelsea thought that too.  Besides we now have Doughty who, once he calms down and delivers accurately, will be a great asset to us.  

Saying that - Maddison is like Doughty on steroids so if we get him in too I'll be like a dog with two dicks.
    IF Maddison comes, and it has gone very quiet about his future career, here or elsewhere, I'd be delighted .. IF the money 'promised by ESI' was available, I am sure he'd have been on our books by now .. we will see .. it would be a good statement of ESI's real intent were we to get him 
  • 300 unread posts. What is there to talk about?! You guys! 
  • I’m somewhere in the middle of the two polar arguments.

I believe strongly in the giving of time, but if you buy a football club in potential relegation danger before a transfer window and your squad is weaker at the end of it, that would raise serious questions on both acquisition intent and funding ability. 

Might be wrong but sense the bulk of us fall in that category. 
    you are far from being alone in this quandary ((:>)
  • I’m somewhere in the middle of the two polar arguments.

I believe strongly in the giving of time, but if you buy a football club in potential relegation danger before a transfer window and your squad is weaker at the end of it, that would raise serious questions on both acquisition intent and funding ability. 

Might be wrong but sense the bulk of us fall in that category. 
    Agree. I think some are misinterpreting this confusion with a sense of 'entitlement'.
  • edited January 2020
    Even I'm getting a little worried now! My previous posts on the thread have been supportive of ESI and MS, and telling everyone that the window doesn't close until 11 pm on Friday lets judge them then. However, unless LB is playing a very good cloak and dagger game to throw agents off the scent of us having money, his comments are somewhat worrying. If we are not bidding £1 million for any one, and yes I know it could be a play on words that it could mean exactly £1 million, I don't see how we can genuinely strengthen as to where we were at the beginning of the month! I'm prepared to sit and wait a while longer, BUT I would like to see some positive action today or, even I, may begin to think ESI are paying 'lip-service' and that doesn't sit well.
    This is the post I put on this thread earlier today. The reason for putting on again is to say that having now 'listened' to Lee's press conference just a few minutes ago, I don't think things are as concerning as I 'read' into on the paper link. LB says he defo doesn't want to sell anyone, Taylor is a major part of the club and, interestingly, said its not just about money but other things as well that Taylor wants. He also says he wants more players in and is hopeful of getting some (what does some mean 2/3 or 4/5?). He wants bodies in that can play immediately as he is going to have to 'manage' the likes of Williams, Taylor and Field and how long they can play for. I'm now more hopeful that come 11 pm tomorrow night we will have more players (ready to start) and Taylor still here, BUT there is still that slight 'niggling' concern it could all go 'tits up'.
  • Sponsored links:

• ADO Den Haag (Pardew's new team) also interested in Troy Parrott along with us and QPR according to Sky Sports.
  • 2121 said:
    300 unread posts. What is there to talk about?! You guys! 
    Basically, we have all come to the conclusion we are proper skint.
  • Macronate said:
    If we don’t bring anyone in, sell Taylor, get beaten by Barnsley and then subsequently get relegated, that’s me done with Charlton.

Through thick and thin my arse.
    You won't be missed.
  • Cawleys latest quotes with Bow sounds like he is very frustrated.

"We are relying on people doing us favours" what the fuck does that mean?
    We’re in talks with people and we’re relying on help. That’s the be-all and end-all, we’re relying on people doing us favours.

Loans 
  • Matty definitely shot himself in the foot stating 'deals pending' and 'marquee signings'
    You do know the transfer window has not shut yet? 
  • If ESI don't sign anyone but we stay up they will be hailed as visionaries. Knowing that we had the quality in the squad and not living beyond means.

Of course, if we go down they will be forever held as potless chancers.

In reality I think a decent CM and CF pretty much guarantees surival. So you think they must have no trousers if they cant stretch.

However, the opposing view is those two additions could potentially bankrupt us if we make signings and go down.

So I have come to the conclusion that nothing will be proven in the short term. Too many imponderables. Just got to support the team and hope we have enough quality and luck with injuries to get another 20 points.

My biggest reassurance is found in three words

Barnsley
    Luton
    Wigan
    Did you see the results on Tuesday?