Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    We fecking rich ------ do fuc k off

ESI using Rolands Poundland card and his strategy 

Only thing that's changed is they brought in a new PR guy
    Buying cheap and selling on has always been our strategy. Why should that change, we aren’t Real Madrid. 

If, and I appreciate that it is an if at this stage he, we do sign the best of league 1 and develop slowly, I’ll be happy. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this approach has worked for Brentford. Stoke spend big and where has that got them.

esi are not using Roland’s strategy. Bowyer isn’t being told who to pick and we are making bids for players. 2 differences for you as a starter
    Always feel sad when I think of Charlton fans accepting a lowly status. Charlton were one of the biggest clubs in the country for decades. No reason why it couldn't happen again.
    James, I've been saying that to myself since 1962. Even believed it once or twice  ;)
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Is there actually any credible-looking rumour out there that Taylor is off, this window?
    Just Cawley saying that's what he'd heard. 
    He didn't say that, he said if we sign JCH that will be to replace Taylor in his opinion, then said it's what he'd heard.

Personally think that also means if we do not sign JCH we will still have Taylor.
    How's that different to what I just said?
  • I hope we are all proved wrong but have to agree with others that this would be most unnecessary relegation ever. 
    ESI should stop talking and start doing.
    After all the chat I dont feel we've moved on one bit from RD.
    I understand what you are saying and agree to some degree that they do really need to give Bowyer enough to stay up this year weather that be good loans or signings.

Bowyer on a 3 year deal is a positive and step in the right direction compared to Roland and his 1 year contract. 

ESI ownership of the club will be judge on much more than this January window but they are in danger of starting it off on the back foot with the fans, however it is just as important to lay the long term fondation of the club something Roland has never done. 

One loan signing (Green) and Bowyer's contract so far if all they've achieved

No contracts for Jacko and Marshall yet
    No new contracts for existing players - Lyle obviously, but even getting someone like Doughty signed up on a longer deal would have been a good news story
    No existing loan signings signed permanently, which was an aim at the start of the window
    The loss of Gallagher (not their fault but adds to the need for urgent reinforcements)
    No perm or loan signings despite Bowyer constantly saying we needed them earlier in the window

A massive couple of days, followed by an equally massive game. No pressure Matt...
    Yep in the short term the next 2 days and game on Saturday is massive.

I think after Friday over the next few months we will see the signs of longer term planning liek contracts for younger players etc.

The club has been left to rot for many years under Roland's ownership and it is going to take solid foundations being laid before we can really start moving forward. Bowyer on a 3 year deal is a start. 

• Interview on the official site doesn't read as bad. I'm hoping that Bowyer is just continuing his usual trait of being coy with the press, otherwise I really don't know what to think.
  • Judging by Lee's words, at least we know we don't have a Royal Flush in Henry's poker game. Please don't Matt and HE be a busted flush.
  • This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement that some of our fans display is utterly cringe worthy.

If anyone genuinely believes that we are in a worse position now than we were under Roland then you need to take a long hard look at yourselves.

I have no idea what our budget is now and only know from snippets on here what it previously was.

MS has made no secret of the fact that this is a long term project, teams in the Championship are now being found out in relation to flouting FFP. Do people honestly think with our current revenue streams that it is credible for us to go and splash 3/4/5 million on players and God knows what else on wages? I don't profess to know the intricacies of FFP but I have seen the threat of points deductions. Do we  want to risk that.

ESI are taking over years of mis-management and negligence and there is no way they can fix all of that in the 4/5 weeks they have actually owned the club.

People keep banding "disaster" round in respect of relegation. Why? We have been relegated before and will be again. If we go down this year it will be largely down to a horrific injury list and paltry squad Roland provided at the start of the season.

I have no idea whether ESI will be a long term success, I sincerely hope they are. If we only get a couple of loans in between now and the end of the window I certainly won't be spitting my dummy out and branding them failures.

Any change takes time, change that is undoing utter incompetency over a number of years will take even longer. It won't happen overnight.

As an aside, people.saying they have no money. Isn't part of the EFL test proof of funds? They may not have shelled out for all the fixtures and fittings yet, but they have a legal obligation to do so within a set time frame. I am guessing that they would have had to prove that they had the funding to do that.

We need to accept that the new owners are running a business and not going to come in an burn money to appease a disenfranchised fanbase.

Give them a chance, you never know in 2/3 years time we may be back up and challenging for promotion.

Great post well written. - No need to panic just yet !

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement that some of our fans display is utterly cringe worthy.

If anyone genuinely believes that we are in a worse position now than we were under Roland then you need to take a long hard look at yourselves.

I have no idea what our budget is now and only know from snippets on here what it previously was.

MS has made no secret of the fact that this is a long term project, teams in the Championship are now being found out in relation to flouting FFP. Do people honestly think with our current revenue streams that it is credible for us to go and splash 3/4/5 million on players and God knows what else on wages? I don't profess to know the intricacies of FFP but I have seen the threat of points deductions. Do we  want to risk that.

ESI are taking over years of mis-management and negligence and there is no way they can fix all of that in the 4/5 weeks they have actually owned the club.

People keep banding "disaster" round in respect of relegation. Why? We have been relegated before and will be again. If we go down this year it will be largely down to a horrific injury list and paltry squad Roland provided at the start of the season.

I have no idea whether ESI will be a long term success, I sincerely hope they are. If we only get a couple of loans in between now and the end of the window I certainly won't be spitting my dummy out and branding them failures.

Any change takes time, change that is undoing utter incompetency over a number of years will take even longer. It won't happen overnight.

As an aside, people.saying they have no money. Isn't part of the EFL test proof of funds? They may not have shelled out for all the fixtures and fittings yet, but they have a legal obligation to do so within a set time frame. I am guessing that they would have had to prove that they had the funding to do that.

We need to accept that the new owners are running a business and not going to come in an burn money to appease a disenfranchised fanbase.

Give them a chance, you never know in 2/3 years time we may be back up and challenging for promotion.
    You’ve turned in to Grapevine.
  • Remember when we signed Green on loan. M.S. made out that loan signing would not have been possible in the summer due to the new Owners now being able to manage demands in wages better......this kind of chat is what has unfortunately hooked people in. 
  • mendonca said:
    Remember when we signed Green on loan. M.S. made out that loan signing would not have been possible in the summer due to the new Owners now being able to manage demands in wages better......this kind of chat is what has unfortunately hooked people in. 
    Including I bet... other clubs...
  • Croydon said:
    Interview on the official site doesn't read as bad. I'm hoping that Bowyer is just continuing his usual trait of being coy with the press, otherwise I really don't know what to think.
    Do you think our comms team would put anything other than a positive spin on it? 
  • This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement that some of our fans display is utterly cringe worthy.

Fucking hell, are you the new PR guy?  ;)

• We have a chairman who is an ex agent. We have Steve Gallen who has been under various titles head of recruitment for a number of years and we have Lee Bowyer. I understand that the January window is difficult but so do those mentioned above. The new owners either spend to protect their investment or risk the value of the club going down considerably before they even get their feet under the table. The January window is what it is. We are getting desperate for bodies and we might have to pay a little over the odds to get them. If those above didn’t know that or are working on a very tight budget then I am seriously worried about what lies ahead. No disrespect but the names being mentioned are not going to get us out of trouble. 
  • edited January 2020
    This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement that some of our fans display is utterly cringe worthy.

that is a very good description of what RD was doing

last summer under the previous owner we did not sell Lyle and brought in some good loans, now our manager is pleading with the new owner not to sell Lyle for what would probably be a smaller amount.

I'm glad RD has gone, I have tried to support the new owners but am finding that increasingly difficult when it seems they have not yet paid for the club and grounds and have so far been unable to strengthen our squad when the teams around us have done so, nor secured the complete management team with new contracts

I really hope that in the next 36ish hours I am proved very wrong
  • Sponsored links:

• We were second in the league before the injuries starting kicking in. With a full squad we can compete no doubt. We’ve lost Leko but gained Green. We’ve lost Gallagher who’s not been replaced but probably will be. However we’ve seen the emergence of Doughty and Matthews since the beginning of the season - I’d have both as starters now. I don’t see things as too bad but then I’m a glass half full kind of guy...
  • It's after posts like Grapevine49's , I wish I'd have paid more attention in my English classes at school.
  • Ooo good... SKY have just mentioned that our transfer window closes @ 11pm tomorrow night

For Scottish clubs they've got until Midnight so if nothing heard by 11pm with regards to Lyle Taylor then dont instantly think he's staying with the club - Especially if Rangers are interested
  •  I had never heard of Lockyer, Cullen, Taylor, Gallagher, Field or Leko before they came in and, on paper, none of the looked ‘the right stuff’ but all have proven to be useful at this level. I, therefore, conclude that I know fuck all and Bowyer, Gallen & co. have a pretty good gauge on what is required.

Around 50% of posters here do seem to be in the wrong job though as they seem to be quite clear that they do know better.
     I had never heard of Lockyer, Cullen, Taylor, Gallagher, Field or Leko before they came in and, on paper, none of the looked ‘the right stuff’ but all have proven to be useful at this level. I, therefore, conclude that I know fuck all and Bowyer, Gallen & co. have a pretty good gauge on what is required.

Around 50% of posters here do seem to be in the wrong job though as they seem to be quite clear that they do know better.

good points well made .. however, I'd be more than happy if a few players I have never heard of signed on in the next 36ish hours if Bowyer & Co are happy with them .. the prospect of that happening doesn't look too hopeful though .. let's hope I am 110% wrong
  • Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    But we never invested or replaced those players.
    We did; we replaced Reid with Lee Cook, Kermorgant with Polish Pete and Reza..