Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Matty definitely shot himself in the foot stating 'deals pending' and 'marquee signings'
    You do know the transfer window has not shut yet? 

I do, yes.

But I also know he said he wanted to get the purchase done for transfer window so he can crack on with business, and we're 36hrs away from deadline and have signed nobody. Down 2 players in fact. All we seem to be hearing is outbound news, nothing inbound. And if there is inbound, it's only to cover an outbound player.

• edited January 2020
  • I’m somewhere in the middle of the two polar arguments.

I believe strongly in the giving of time, but if you buy a football club in potential relegation danger before a transfer window and your squad is weaker at the end of it, that would raise serious questions on both acquisition intent and funding ability. 

Might be wrong but sense the bulk of us fall in that category. 
    AFKA you mentioned ESI's acquisition intent/ability to fund. Can anyone spell out the worst case scenario for me?
  • I find there's 407 new posts on this thread to read.

I might not live long enough to read them all. Has anything happened yet?

• Oggy Red said:
    I find there's 407 new posts on this thread to read.

I might not live long enough to read them all. Has anything happened yet?

No.
  • Prepare for more bed wetting by many...

O’Kane has joined Luton on a 18 month deal from Leeds. A player we tried to sign last season and last summer.
  • Reading that article from Bows I can only conclude that ESI have no money . Why else would he say we are relying on favours? 
    Of course ESI have money. They just paid £50 mill for our football club! 

My take on it is that Agents know this and are asking silly money for their players hence we’ve now turned our attention to the loan market. That plus the fact that our current position in the Championship is putting players off joining us.
    How many times ? No they haven't !
  • I’m somewhere in the middle of the two polar arguments.

I believe strongly in the giving of time, but if you buy a football club in potential relegation danger before a transfer window and your squad is weaker at the end of it, that would raise serious questions on both acquisition intent and funding ability. 

AFKA you mentioned ESI's acquisition intent/ability to fund. Can anyone spell out the worst case scenario for me?

No signings
    Taylor off
    Relegation
    Probable Irreparable damage to owner/fans relationship
  • Matty definitely shot himself in the foot stating 'deals pending' and 'marquee signings'
    A deal could have been pending but the goalposts could have been moved (Maddison not wanting to move south after interest from up north).

It isnt just ESI in this transfer window...it is other clubs they have to deal with who will obviously look after there own interests first. 

In future he should just disconnect from fans and not say a word....that really works well as we know....
  • Sponsored links:

• It's all about money and ESL dont appear to have any.
  • edited January 2020
    I’m somewhere in the middle of the two polar arguments.

HE catches Corona and, by default, RD gets the club back and gets to keep the £50m.
  • What entitlement? I feel like it's the other way round, people are so accustomed to mediocrity over the years that we have set the bar so low that a CEO showing up to games and sending out a few tweets is good stuff?

No one is asking for a miracle here, replace the players that we have lost and strengthen the squad. In what world is that entitlement? I just want Southall to back up his words, they bought us now to ensure survival in a nutshell. We are one day away from those words being bollocks. Truly bizarre that being worried about this can be referred to as being entitled. 

Entitlement is the ManU fans saying their club is dead because they haven't won the league in 7 years. Enititlement is Arsenal fans sobbing about only having European tours every year. Apparently Charlton fans want one player to sign a long term contract and a few emergency bodies to help our bid in staying up = entitlement. I haven't seen any other request from a Charlton fan, didn't realise clubs fans wanting players when they were told there would be is seen as a bad thing

This is bang on. 
    Lend them a 5er then?? 
  • kentred2 said:
    Reading that article from Bows I can only conclude that ESI have no money . Why else would he say we are relying on favours? 

My take on it is that Agents know this and are asking silly money for their players hence we’ve now turned our attention to the loan market. That plus the fact that our current position in the Championship is putting players off joining us.
    Have they? No evidence of that yet. 
    Can you see a tight old cnut like Roland working on an IOU
    He still owns the Valley & Sparrows Lane
  • edited January 2020
    Melrose said:
    I’m somewhere in the middle of the two polar arguments.

No signings
    Taylor off
    Relegation
    Probable Irreparable damage to owner/fans relationship
    I've just looked at the Skint/Mega Rich thread and Athletico Charlton's post seems to point at something more existential. Maybe this whole takeover been a ruse for Roland to evict us and realise the value of our property assets?
    East Street Linvestments?
    Lend them a 5er then?? 
    What £ or £m
  • it seems obvious we are still trying to buy in the bargain basement department of footballers and that raises a very large red flag . 
    That's where the bargains are, Beds.

You've only got to look at Brentford's model in the Championship.
    And Southall has already said that's something he aspires to.

• We'll never get rid of RD....
  • Sponsored links:

Yep, certainly did.

Hes also said we wont overpay, and they have to be players that add to the quality that we've got.  He also said we won't sell Lyle unless a ridiculous offer comes in.

Matt and HE have never owned a football club before.  Every day is a school day for them and they are having to learn very fast.

There is no doubt that the club are active in trying to strengthen the squad. Whether that inexperience has weakened us at a crucial time remains to be seen.  I'm sure we will get some signings in, but whether they are oven ready for the team on Saturday remains to be seen.
  • kentred2 said:
    Reading that article from Bows I can only conclude that ESI have no money . Why else would he say we are relying on favours? 

Have they? No evidence of that yet. 
    Can you see a tight old cnut like Roland working on an IOU
    He still owns the Valley & Sparrows Lane
    With a legal obligation to change hands within 6 months
    Lend them a 5er then?? 
    What £ or £m
    £5 might be okay...they will appreciate as they dont have nothing apparently.
  • 2121 said:
    300 unread posts. What is there to talk about?! You guys! 
    Basically, we have all come to the conclusion we are proper skint.

If they can make us fans believe we're skint / money is tight they'll make anyone believe it.

Isn't this what MS wants, to stop clubs / agents trying to rip us off?
  • 2121 said:
    300 unread posts. What is there to talk about?! You guys! 
    Basically, we have all come to the conclusion we are proper skint.

If they can make us fans believe we're skint / money is tight they'll make anyone believe it.

Isn't this what MS wants, to stop clubs / agents trying to rip us off?

A cunning plan!!!
  • All very strange.  I was hoping that things would fall into place today and tomorrow and there is still time for that to happen, but I am inclined to believe that based on Bowyer's update, it seems unlikely.  If that is the case, then the absolute minimum is keeping hold of Taylor.  I am not sugar coating the fact we are worse off for not getting anyone in other than Green, when we have lost Leko, Kayal & Gallagher, but if we can keep Taylor, we do have a fighting chance.

It's the optimism and hope that has left me feeling a little deflated, but I think that's a lesson for me to exercise a little more maturity in how I manage my own expectations.  The frustrating thing for me are the statements about getting the takeover done at the start of Jan for the window, the tweet saying deals pending and the fact we know Gallen & Bowyer gave MS a list of 10 or so targets.  I think all of us, whether we be in the 'give ESI time to make their mark' camp, or 'the proof will be in the pudding' camp, just want to see a little sign of excitement in the transfer market after 6 years of RD.

I am still in the 'give ESI time camp', and I wholeheartedly hope they don't suffer some sort ott backlash were we not to bring anyone in, but I just really wanted to see a window with 5 players coming in and something concrete to carry over the initial wave of optimism, plus Bowyer signing a 3 year deal.

Of course, the Jan window is tough, and I am sure we have lost out on a few targets because of them falling outside of our budget, but I am puzzled as to why we haven't been able to bring a couple in.  This post may be a little premature, given we still have about 30 odd hours to get players in, but I am a tad deflated by it all at this point.  I pray Taylor stays.  If nothing else, this is imperative 
  • It seems that Brizzle signing Nakhi Wells will be in return for Burnley signing Josh Brownhill from them

Indeed they'll be financially up on the deal so will have money left over to buy Lyle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51313248
  • Guessing the normal rules apply and it's not adjusted because its deadline day.

Any player signed after 12pm tomorrow cant play on Saturday