Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Imagine the meltdown Saturday if we lose Tayler, no incomings & lose to Barnsley!  
    Can’t understand why ESI rushed through this deal in time for the transfer window! Going to get pelters!!!!!
    Imagine we win on Saturday, Taylor plays and scores a goal.

Glass half empty vs glass half full

Nobody has done much yet this window.  We are so used to the "We need bodies" line being rolled out but the fact is the midfield is nearly back to the beginning of the season (you know - when we were playing very well) and the players should, theoretically, be less fatigued than many of our opposition.
    Bonne will be fit soon, Hemed showed signs of being near to match fit last week, Aneke seems to have got fit and seemingly found some goalscoring boots whilst he was absent.  

There is still 18 hours to go and I don't believe we won't sign anyone.  Still very hopeful on Maddison.  But the bottom line is our destiny is in our own hands.  We have the players to stay up.

It's never easy being a Charlton fan, we all know that, but things ARE better than they were a couple of months ago and the future is, seemingly, bright.  Just a slightly sticky patch to navigate at the moment
    great post .. 2 things .. Gallagher the midfield mainstay back in the autumn has gone .. if Taylor scores a hat trick on Saturday and let's hope he does, that will be after 'the window' has closed and we will be left with what we have .. playing a devil's advocate role here b t w ((:>)
    Gallagher was, and is, a fantastic player.  He came from nowhere and when that midfield was purring he was a big part of it.  His last handful of games were a little disappointing though in honesty and maybe a 19 year old rookie isn't quite up to a dogfight at this stage of his career.  Seems Chelsea thought that too.  Besides we now have Doughty who, once he calms down and delivers accurately, will be a great asset to us.  

Saying that - Maddison is like Doughty on steroids so if we get him in too I'll be like a dog with two dicks.
    I thought you were close to "the club"? If you are you'll know that Gallagher left because of his agent. Not "Chelsea", at least not Tore Andre Flo, running the rule over him at Sparrows Lane in December. 

No blame attaches to ESI or anyone at Charlton for this one.

Take a look at this interview with Gallagher in today's Guardian. Note that not a word, not a single word is there on why he moved from us to Swansea. Now ask yourself, isn't that a little odd? Well not if his agent arranged it or did most of the talking for him.
    If Chelsea weren't on side with him moving he wouldn't have - but he did so they must have had some input.  I also know he was pretty much in tears when he was leaving the training ground - he was happy here.  I wish him well and vbelieve he is going to go on and have a great career and I place no blame whatsoever on ESI, CAFC or Conor.  

Agents are a necessary evil in this game and, sadly, some are more interested in themselves and not the player.  An agent that puts the player first would be a cracking business model!! ;-) 
    I have a theory about Gallagher and why he left.

In his last couple of games for us, he looked tired. He still gave his all but seemed slightly jaded.
    I think Chelsea were protecting him, if they thought he needed a rest and was not given one because 
    he was integral to the team and covering for injured players, he might of got a serious (long term) injury.

LB said in the press conference he would be rested when other players returned, but I think Chelsea thought
    that this was not happening quick enough.

He is their player and they are responsible for his well being, bearing in mind he probably will become a key
    player for Chelsea and England.

• Melrose said:
    What's worrying is that there isn't really any rumours at all flying about
    Maddison, Docherty, Clarke-Harris.

There is plenty out there
    3, one of which is very unlikely
  • Hull are considering a move for Jordan Jones and/or Maddison. They may not come in for MM if they can bring in Jones from Rangers.
  • Maddison will go Hull if they sell Bowen. They have a higher wage structure, just hope he does not play against us
  • muppetman said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Imagine the meltdown Saturday if we lose Tayler, no incomings & lose to Barnsley!  
    Can’t understand why ESI rushed through this deal in time for the transfer window! Going to get pelters!!!!!
    Imagine we win on Saturday, Taylor plays and scores a goal.

Glass half empty vs glass half full

Nobody has done much yet this window.  We are so used to the "We need bodies" line being rolled out but the fact is the midfield is nearly back to the beginning of the season (you know - when we were playing very well) and the players should, theoretically, be less fatigued than many of our opposition.
    Bonne will be fit soon, Hemed showed signs of being near to match fit last week, Aneke seems to have got fit and seemingly found some goalscoring boots whilst he was absent.  

There is still 18 hours to go and I don't believe we won't sign anyone.  Still very hopeful on Maddison.  But the bottom line is our destiny is in our own hands.  We have the players to stay up.

It's never easy being a Charlton fan, we all know that, but things ARE better than they were a couple of months ago and the future is, seemingly, bright.  Just a slightly sticky patch to navigate at the moment
    great post .. 2 things .. Gallagher the midfield mainstay back in the autumn has gone .. if Taylor scores a hat trick on Saturday and let's hope he does, that will be after 'the window' has closed and we will be left with what we have .. playing a devil's advocate role here b t w ((:>)
    Gallagher was, and is, a fantastic player.  He came from nowhere and when that midfield was purring he was a big part of it.  His last handful of games were a little disappointing though in honesty and maybe a 19 year old rookie isn't quite up to a dogfight at this stage of his career.  Seems Chelsea thought that too.  Besides we now have Doughty who, once he calms down and delivers accurately, will be a great asset to us.  

Saying that - Maddison is like Doughty on steroids so if we get him in too I'll be like a dog with two dicks.
    I thought you were close to "the club"? If you are you'll know that Gallagher left because of his agent. Not "Chelsea", at least not Tore Andre Flo, running the rule over him at Sparrows Lane in December. 

No blame attaches to ESI or anyone at Charlton for this one.

Take a look at this interview with Gallagher in today's Guardian. Note that not a word, not a single word is there on why he moved from us to Swansea. Now ask yourself, isn't that a little odd? Well not if his agent arranged it or did most of the talking for him.
    If Chelsea weren't on side with him moving he wouldn't have - but he did so they must have had some input.  I also know he was pretty much in tears when he was leaving the training ground - he was happy here.  I wish him well and vbelieve he is going to go on and have a great career and I place no blame whatsoever on ESI, CAFC or Conor.  

Agents are a necessary evil in this game and, sadly, some are more interested in themselves and not the player.  An agent that puts the player first would be a cracking business model!! ;-) 
    I have a theory about Gallagher and why he left.

In his last couple of games for us, he looked tired. He still gave his all but seemed slightly jaded.
    I think Chelsea were protecting him, if they thought he needed a rest and was not given one because 
    he was integral to the team and covering for injured players, he might of got a serious (long term) injury.

LB said in the press conference he would be rested when other players returned, but I think Chelsea thought
    that this was not happening quick enough.

He is their player and they are responsible for his well being, bearing in mind he probably will become a key
    player for Chelsea and England.

So he went to Swansea at strait into the first team. Probably had more to do with playing with kids for 2 months and being kicked around the pitch as he was our only hope of anything happening on the pitch. 
  • Were we not told it was his agent who requested the move and that Chelsea were content for him to stay before that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Matthews
    Sollly
    Pearce
    Lockyer
    Sarr
    Purrington

Cullen
    Pratley
    Oztumer
    Williams
    Field
    Green
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Forster-Caskey

Taylor
    Bonne 
    Hemed
    Davison
    Aneke

Maddison would probably be a starter if added to the squad. If Clarke-Harris signs and is not a replacement for Taylor then he would probably move above Bonne and Hemed in the pecking order but would not start ahead of Taylor. Otherwise we are only really going to attract squad players. 
    First game of the season we didn’t have Matthews, Oztumer or Hemed. We have lost Gallacher and Leko who we have replaced with Green. Therefore the make up of the squad is one who many, including Bowyer, we’re talking up as play off candidates. Then, of course injuries hit and we know what has happened.
    Who apart from those I’ve mentioned is going to come in and improve the squad whilst also being willing to leave their current team for possible relegation?
    Unless we offer stupid money and stupid wages I think additions will be minimal and ESI aren’t going to do that. I think the hope of a host of signings is evaporating. But, these players are certainly good enough to keep us up.
    Only 14 are fit enough to play a full game, including 2 kids that were on non league loans. 
  • 16:27

CHARLTON BID FOR PIRATES STRIKER

Charlton have tabled a bid of £1m for Bristol Rovers striker Jonson Clarke-Harris.

• Were we not told it was his agent who requested the move and that Chelsea were content for him to stay before that?
    No. That's poppycock. The Chelsea Youth manager is on record as saying he didn't want him playing with kids (due to our injury list), and that he would learn more being in the Chelski u23's if that was to be the case. Then they loaned him to Swansea...
  • Pedro45 said:
    Matthews
    Sollly
    Pearce
    Lockyer
    Sarr
    Purrington

Cullen
    Pratley
    Oztumer
    Williams
    Field
    Green
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Forster-Caskey

Taylor
    Bonne 
    Hemed
    Davison
    Aneke

Maddison would probably be a starter if added to the squad. If Clarke-Harris signs and is not a replacement for Taylor then he would probably move above Bonne and Hemed in the pecking order but would not start ahead of Taylor. Otherwise we are only really going to attract squad players. 
    First game of the season we didn’t have Matthews, Oztumer or Hemed. We have lost Gallacher and Leko who we have replaced with Green. Therefore the make up of the squad is one who many, including Bowyer, we’re talking up as play off candidates. Then, of course injuries hit and we know what has happened.
    Who apart from those I’ve mentioned is going to come in and improve the squad whilst also being willing to leave their current team for possible relegation?
    Unless we offer stupid money and stupid wages I think additions will be minimal and ESI aren’t going to do that. I think the hope of a host of signings is evaporating. But, these players are certainly good enough to keep us up.
    Bowyer said at the start of the season that all we were interested in was avoiding relegation! We were never play-off candidates, despite our lofty position and the blind-exuberance of the message boards! On our day, and with lots of luck, we were able to beat Leeds and Brentford. We have battled to hold Forest, Fulham and WBA. We are not as good as any of them, even at our best! 

This is going to be a big fight, and we need everyone to be onside with the club (management and owners) if we are to pull through this relegation battle whatever squad we end up with tomorrow night.
    Agreed, let's face it most years you get a small team promoted to the PL who have a great start, then start struggling in the autumn and either go down or stay up by the skin of their teeth

Norwich beat Man City, how many people expect them to stay up now?
  • Reckon we need a CH, CM, CF. If Taylor goes then 2 forwards
  • Pedro45 said:
    Were we not told it was his agent who requested the move and that Chelsea were content for him to stay before that?
    No. That's poppycock. The Chelsea Youth manager is on record as saying he didn't want him playing with kids (due to our injury list), and that he would learn more being in the Chelski u23's if that was to be the case. Then they loaned him to Swansea...
    Pedro45 said:
    Were we not told it was his agent who requested the move and that Chelsea were content for him to stay before that?
    Pedro45 said:
    I've only seen that from a random chelsea fan account. Where is this on the record please?
  • Pedro45 said:
    Is he on record saying that? I thought that came from a non-official Chelsea fan Twitter account.
  • Matthews
    Sollly
    Pearce
    Lockyer
    Sarr
    Purrington

Cullen
    Pratley
    Oztumer
    Williams
    Field
    Green
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Forster-Caskey

Taylor
    Bonne 
    Hemed
    Davison
    Aneke

Only 14 are fit enough to play a full game, including 2 kids that were on non league loans. 
    Take our midfield. If we speak to a player and he asks Bowyer that when/if Cullen, Pratley, Williams, Field, JFC, Oztumer, Green are all fit will he start, the likely answer is no. So why would he come? 
  • Only Charlton could find a Sheikh less convincing than Mazher Mahmood!!
  • Sponsored links:

• We dont know what the difference is that maddison wants. But the delay has allowed hull in the frame. 
  • We dont know what the difference is that maddison wants. But the delay has allowed hull in the frame. 
    He obviously wasn't that keen on joining us in the first place

Especially as we are nearer the bottom 3 than we were at the start of the month
  • Matthews
    Sollly
    Pearce
    Lockyer
    Sarr
    Purrington

Cullen
    Pratley
    Oztumer
    Williams
    Field
    Green
    Doughty
    Morgan
    Forster-Caskey

Taylor
    Bonne 
    Hemed
    Davison
    Aneke

Take our midfield. If we speak to a player and he asks Bowyer that when/if Cullen, Pratley, Williams, Field, JFC, Oztumer, Green are all fit will he start, the likely answer is no. So why would he come? 
    The answer to that is that 3 of them will likely break down & yes you will start even if it's up front :-) 
    He obviously wasn't that keen on joining us in the first place

Especially as we are nearer the bottom 3 than we were at the start of the month
    Hes treating us as his better than nothing whilst graftting on other options. If nothing better comes along he'll go home with us.