Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Matts tweet has made me feel more optimistic.
    Not real apparently mate. According to post I quoted 
    It’s not fake
  • addix said:
    Sage said:

We've spent more in Sainsbury's than the transfer market.
    Got an Oasis in for the boss😎
  • Bubble said:
    Matts tweet has made me feel more optimistic.
    Not real apparently mate. According to post I quoted 
    It’s 100% his twitter account
    Great cheers. Surely good news ahead.
  • shine166 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    So the only thing hes managed to purchase this window, are snacks ? 
    Exactly and an Oasis for the Arab gentleman... nice!
  • Charlton fan gets out of bed on the morning of the 31st
    Hmm your already in the 31st... What do you know!!... WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN!!
  • If I see that bleddy Matt Southall tweet soft drinks picture one more time, I'll .... I'll ......

Please don't paste it any more ! 

• Oggy Red said:
    If I see that bleddy Matt Southall tweet soft drinks picture one more time, I'll .... I'll ......

3... 2... 1?
  • Sponsored links:

• That is true Henry but like it or not ultimately "it is only an internet thing" simply is no longer true. It feeds into main stream media and no matter the truth of it all the soundbites register and flavour opinion.

It is a nightmare for any business to manage but if you ignore it, it is very hard to correct the wrong profile being created.

Just a quick point on Fosu we did not let Fosu go. We offered him a new contract in the knowledge he had been tapped up and was ready to check out months before the end of the season.

No matter the validity of the strategy here it appears ESI are pursuing another theoretical approach to the industry.

I love innovation, new ideas and strategies but as the per previous administration you simply have to respect the marketplace in which you seek to work those strategies.

Quite simply there is no operational value to Messrs Gallen, Bowyer and Southall holding endless series of discussions with clubs, agents, players, media if there is no end product beyond testing your theories in the market. If the past 4 weeks have done no more than establish a placeholder for a new way of doing business then ESI bought the club at the wrong time in the wrong position.

I don't care how many relegation clauses you may have in the purchase agreement you ignore market status, needs and opportunities at your peril.

The cost to the business of months of preparation and 4 weeks executive manpower in seeking to grow the business only to deliver no end product is not a good look nor is it to use a favoured term "sustainable".

There is a reason salesmen no matter the work they do on the client pipeline get paid for hitting their targets.

There is zero value to giving anybody a long term contract or somebody else a new title if you are not going to empower them to deliver to your business. Such a failure to invest in people "in a people business" will create zero asset value, corporate or individual.

I am fully aware of the need for fiscal prudence and have little doubt there will have been a range of investment criteria in play. Whether such criteria fits the marketplace at any given time will determine your success. If the criteria is flawed or out of kilter with the relevant market conditions then do not even waste your time going to the market.

You will do more harm than good especially if those involved are sending mixed messages to your stakeholders. Just manage the message. It really is not hard.

"Thrilled to be the new owners etc., do everything we can to keep the show on the road, but there is X, Y, and Z to do and a great deal of business restructuring etc., etc.,

Much of what we appear to be seeing seems to more about business theory (all very commendable) than business practice. Unfortunately it is usually the latter which delivers results.

Countless masterplans falter when tested against the reality of the status of the business and the industry in which you seek to operate. That is not necessarily a disaster providing you learn, adjust and respond. Crucially however brilliant the Masterplan maybe and possess the potential to establish the club as a viable business for decades to come unless you are able to carry your stakeholders  (and investors) with you will never realise let alone maximise such potential.

These things do not grow in isolation they are organic in feeding off each other

I have no reason to doubt the endeavour, the approach, the intent or the commitment but in the final analysis the focus will be on the little box marked "deals done".

If I were sitting in Abu Dhabi I will be looking forward to scrutinizing my first monthly operational report. I have no idea whether people still use the traffic light system but have to wonder just how many facets of the business are red, green or amber.

I do apologise for the corporate bollocks but as you may detect I am just a tad disappointed. There was a huge opportunity to make a significant statement not in spending millions but in empowering your business, showing progress, and displaying collective executive engagement to the industry and your stakeholders. They are not the signs I am reading. Such opportunities do not come around too often.

At the moment the dialogue goes along the lines

" I see Charlton were taken over by ESI"

"Were they? Can't say as I noticed"

"Yes, Bowyer got a new contact, getting a few injured back, but they lost Gallagher, maybe Taylor"

"Ok, no real change then."

"No not really. New bloke seems quite chatty"

You tell me how it is going. 

Elegantly put.

Essentially, to date we have seen a lot of talk regarding intent (which may or may not turn out to be spin). Still waiting to see some substance to that. The next 29 hours will indeed be interesting.
  • sam3110 said:
    No Red Bull, no pot noodles

3/10
    That just means we're not about to be taken over.

• Sage said:

Right I don't wanna be too judgmental, but that is an absolutely shocking binge shop and it concerns me that this guy is who we are banking on to get the deals done. 

7-Up, Sparkling water? Where are the bourbons, the biscuits. Lucozade original and not orange. Ffs we have no hope, can't even get a junk shop right 

And he can’t spell.

• Oggy Red said:
    If I see that bleddy Matt Southall tweet soft drinks picture one more time, I'll .... I'll ......

What picture?

This one?

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Sage said:

Matt doesn’t to seem to be panicking like some here on CL does he? Keep the faith.
  • Honestly thought it was fake, i guess good its not but i hope he’s not made to look silly in 24 hours.
  • Has anyone seen Oggy in the last couple of minutes?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    He has a busy day tomorrow, dry cleaners at 9, barbers at 11:30 then after a 3 course lunch with his excellency at Frankie and bennies Charlton, he has to deal with Taylor to Brentford, Phillips to Cardiff, Lockyer to Watford and pratley to Man U in the afternoon followed by Greenwich odeon and a Nando’s in the evening.
    A source of mine at the club has informed me that it’s not just any old Nandos, but in fact, a cheeky Nandos.
  • Hopefully a good day tomorrow still have faith in the new owners COYR
  • Matts tweet has made me feel more optimistic.
    Yep he must have deals basically done otherwise he would no way of tweeted that. He would have massive egg on his face. 

They have seen the negativity so giving a little hint to calm everyone down.