Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Think there could be a real clash of personalities with LB and MS. Can’t see MS warming to those comments but Southall can’t watch the window close and leave Bowyer with no help. Still over 24hrs to go.
  • One thing that still sticks with me was that MS interview he did at the start. 

Said he was on his way to the game and he bumped into his mate and his wife and his mate asked "how have you blagged this one" or to some effect. 

I am holding out hope that all will b e good come 11:01pm tomorrow. 

35 years of following Charlton does this to you 
  • Chunes said:
    Would @NL_Addick and @RodneyCharltonTrotta like to reply to Our Manager's latest words or is he just a bed wetter !

Come back @MuttleyCAFC your fears and mine from early this month are coming to fruition. 
    Leave it out fella. We all want the best for our club. Sniping at fellow fans on forums is not constructive.

My comment in response to your little pop has obviously riled you for some reason but just let it go mate as no offence at you was meant when it was posted off the cuff.
    Agree but calling fellow fans bed wetters isn't constructive either.
    Fair point. 
  • Reading that article from Bows I can only conclude that ESI have no money . Why else would he say we are relying on favours? 
    Of course ESI have money. They just paid £50 mill for our football club! 

My take on it is that Agents know this and are asking silly money for their players hence we’ve now turned our attention to the loan market. That plus the fact that our current position in the Championship is putting players off joining us.
    What money has actually changed hands? Does anyone know?
  • Time to leave this thread till later!
  • Reading that article from Bows I can only conclude that ESI have no money . Why else would he say we are relying on favours? 

My take on it is that Agents know this and are asking silly money for their players hence we’ve now turned our attention to the loan market. That plus the fact that our current position in the Championship is putting players off joining us.
    Have they? No evidence of that yet. 
    or not willing to give money this window or for only for players that fit the mould of young to be sold on at a profit? 
  • I’m usually an optimist but I must admit I may wet my bed tonight

WTF does ‘we are relying on favours’ mean ?!
  • Don't think Bowyer does bluffing. Sounds v frustrated.
    Weegie, this is Lee's last desperate attempt to make sure Lyle Taylor doesn't leave and they get a couple of players in.
    When they didn't implement an emergency strategy straight away to cover having to play Dempsey, Vennings, Davidson etc, then it was obvious there were cash flow problems. 
    Lee knew this, that's why he suddenly wanted his Contract sorted before February.
    Spotting anomalies isn't being negative. 

• Sponsored links:

• I’m usually an optimist but I must admit I may wet my bed tonight

clubs not asking for a large loan fee or not 100% of wages i assume. 
    or not willing to give money this window or for only for players that fit the mould of young to be sold on at a profit? 
    Any evidence so far they actually have cash?
  • edited January 2020
    I’m usually an optimist but I must admit I may wet my bed tonight

Have you not ever received a "favour" by a female friend.....😊.
  • Is Bowyer playing the cards close to his chest? If we let on we have shit loads of money then whats to stop any other parties we are dealing with asking for more? Agents and clubs in this case.
  • Think the next 2 days are crucial I’ll not change sheets to Sunday 
  • Even I'm getting a little worried now! My previous posts on the thread have been supportive of ESI and MS, and telling everyone that the window doesn't close until 11 pm on Friday lets judge them then. However, unless LB is playing a very good cloak and dagger game to throw agents off the scent of us having money, his comments are somewhat worrying. If we are not bidding £1 million for any one, and yes I know it could be a play on words that it could mean exactly £1 million, I don't see how we can genuinely strengthen as to where we were at the beginning of the month! I'm prepared to sit and wait a while longer, BUT I would like to see some positive action today or, even I, may begin to think ESI are paying 'lip-service' and that doesn't sit well.
  • kentred2 said:
    Reading that article from Bows I can only conclude that ESI have no money . Why else would he say we are relying on favours? 

Have they? No evidence of that yet. 
    Can you see a tight old cnut like Roland working on an IOU
  • edited January 2020
    Favours are loan deals. Also do we know exactly when these quotes were made ....... if it was a few days ago then that would sort of make sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Bowyer playing the cards close to his chest? If we let on we have shit loads of money then whats to stop any other parties we are dealing with asking for more? Agents and clubs in this case.
    I think we all need to get over this idea that LB and MS are somehow gaming the press in a grand scheme.
  • edited January 2020
    Would @NL_Addick and @RodneyCharltonTrotta like to reply to Our Manager's latest words or is he just a bed wetter !

Come back @MuttleyCAFC your fears and mine from early this month are coming to fruition. 
    Leave it out fella. We all want the best for our club. Sniping at fellow fans on forums is not constructive.

My comment in response to your little pop has obviously riled you for some reason but just let it go mate as no offence at you was meant when it was posted off the cuff.
    I have been on here nearly 5 years and take the usual banter, that's why I was surprised with you using my quote and digging me out. I just want your opinion now on Lee's comments. If you don't have a comment fair enough, and we move on.
  • edited January 2020
    the worrying thing for MS is that if he dont delivery a decent window that bumper crowd on Saturday could easily get twitchy if the result does not come and the good will and feel good factor he was gifted from being the person to remove Roland will be gone and he and ESI will be on the back foot a bit with the fans. 
    Then expect league one football next season 
  • Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Yep, Gallen needs to be demoted. 
    Yep, Gallen needs to be demoted trusted.
    It wasn't a dig at Gallen, quite the opposite. Just seems he was able to get more done when it was just him doing transfers and not MS as well. Obviously I don't know the whole picture though. 
    I know, my comment was aimed at MS :)

But did they though?
  • Chizz said:
    Maybe I am on my own here, but I think Lee Bowyer's comments show him in very good light. 

I will admit that I have not been a fan of Bowyer's since his early playing days and wasn't keen on the leadership of the playing side of the club being given to him.  But he's absolutely won me round.  As a Manager, he's proving exceptional.  And I don't think the comments he's been quoted as saying take any of the shine off that.  

As fans, we might want to hear him saying stuff like "we've made offers for several players that have been accepted and I have met the players concerned who are all very keen to join the club.  We are hoping to complete the deals in the next 24-48 hours".  But, as we know, that's not going to happen.  Bowyer is very calmly and carefully setting expectations.  

He's setting expectations to fans, who he wants to keep onside when we sign one or two players, and not four or five.  

He's setting expectations to clubs we are in negotiation with, who he wants to understand that we are not splashing seven-figure, up-front offers to.  

He's setting expectations to potential outgoing players, who he wants to understand that no player will be transferred out of Charlton unless Bowyer himself is ok with it.  

And, probably most importantly, he's setting expectations to the Chairman, who he wants to understand that getting the quality and size of the squad right is the most important function of the Chairman (even if the Chairman thinks otherwise).  

I think, with this set of quotes, Bowyer has achieved all of that, with quiet subtlety. He knows what he's doing. What he's said is encouraging and makes me think even more, that the playing side of the club is even safer in his hands.  

Love the analysis and if its true then Bowyer is playing a blinder
  • Matt Southall, you have piss on your hands here 
    Brilliant!