Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    Why are people surprised? MS has been very honest and transparent about the club's plans in the transfer market and yet somehow people were expecting something entirely different. I think many still seem to be getting over the disappointment that we're clearly not the next Man City.

I think people know the transfer strategy, buy from the lower leagues , improve them as players and sell them. Which is why they were so keen on retaining Bowyer on his recent record with these sorts of players. I think having said they were keen to bring in re-inforcements in the transfer window, which is why they triggered the deal early on the purchase, we were expecting to see a bit more positve meovement on players up to this point.

i expected to see a couple of loan signings from yougsters out of the prem and a couple of league 1 signings who have the scope to fit the MS model.  What i dont think anyone wants to see is Lyle Taylor heading out of the door at this point of the season.
  • Richard Cawley reports that Sam Field is fully fit and ready for Saturday.
    Excellent, one over the line.  When you include Cullen, Hemed and Taylor we have 4 new ones in so just one more to hit the 5 Bowyer wanted.
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Why are people surprised? MS has been very honest and transparent about the club's plans in the transfer market and yet somehow people were expecting something entirely different. I think many still seem to be getting over the disappointment that we're clearly not the next Man City.
    It feels like to some there are only two possibilities:

1. We’re rich, funded by the Sheikh, we’ll buy our way to European glory

2. ESI are chancers, are lying to us and have no money. As bad or possibly worse than Roland.
    Or option 3, they have a plan to develop talent invest in the club over the next 5 years... 
  • Chunes said:
    ESI themselves said they planned to sign Taylor and Cullen on permanent deals.
    Plans dont always work out unfortunately. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Until players are signed or sold we're in the dark as to what the plans are. The main priority has to be to make sure we stay up.

We can judge MS by his actions not his words.
    We're not in the dark. We've been told the plans are to sign lower league players and promote youth. To build a squad capable of promotion slowly and sustainably. MS has said it a few times.

So I don't get the surprise/outrage when it turns out we're looking at lower league players.
    We haven't done anything yet which is the point I'm making. I've heard what the strategy is but seen no evidence of it in action as yet.

If signings are made in the next couple of days or players are sold I'll be a little clearer. Our short term priority has to be to stay up.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    So Cawley is adamant that Clarke-Harris would be a Taylor replacement. You can kinda see the logic, sell Taylor for a couple of Million and invest it in a 25 year old who scored 20 in his last 29 league appearances on a 3 year deal. Or lose Taylor in the summer and lose that £2m.
     Where do people get this adamancy from?

A varying opinion there.
    100% this.  Adamant??? 
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

2. ESI are chancers, are lying to us and have no money. As bad or possibly worse than Roland.

No, that's just the kids on other social media.
    On CL other than one of Mrs Brown's boys, mainly adult questions have been asked of the Chairman. I have been waiting since Jan 2nd for an indication of their Philosophy and their investments.
    In 38 hours we will know for sure but in the next few hours the picture will emerge.

• Sponsored links:

• Is Docherty match fit if we sign him? Can he play Saturday?
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

Or option 3, they have a plan to develop talent invest in the club over the next 5 years... 
    Well yeah, I’m sure the reality will be somewhere in between the two.
  • Chunes said:
    MS he would only LT if a silly offer came in, by that I was taking it to mean 10 million plus 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Until players are signed or sold we're in the dark as to what the plans are. The main priority has to be to make sure we stay up.

We can judge MS by his actions not his words.
    We're not in the dark. We've been told the plans are to sign lower league players and promote youth. To build a squad capable of promotion slowly and sustainably. MS has said it a few times.

So I don't get the surprise/outrage when it turns out we're looking at lower league players.
    No issue with lower league players as long as you dont become weaker in the short term when facing relegation, dont understand why people cant see the concern with this. 
  • Some of the comments on here, the mind well and truly boggles
    Just people expressing their varying opinions. It was ever thus. It would be both boring and surprising if everyone had the same take on things.
  • It looks to me that Harris is the replacement for Taylor IF he goes. Crawley has heard something as he says he didn't make it up.

Won't be a great start for the new "owners" first game of we loose Taylor and loose against Barnsley.

We never have a good Jan transfer window even before Roland.

Best we can hope for Taylor stays, Harris comes in,Rangers reserve comes in.

Be prepared for the usual "we made loads of bids" and the obligatory disapointment.

• So with the transfer merry go round just starting to turn does this look logical regarding Lyle ? - 
    Bristol City will get Nakhi Wells so that means they are no longer interested in a striker. 
    QPR lost Wells so they are looking for a replacement and also Brentford have had an eye on him for a while. - They must be his only 2 destinations.
    Peterborough have priced everyone out the market for Toney at £10million so hes staying at Posh. 

We get JCH , Hemed, Bonne , Davison plus a loan as our striker options -  Is that enough until May ?? 
  • Is Docherty match fit if we sign him? Can he play Saturday?
    Hasn't played since August so who knows. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Chunes said:
    MS he would only LT if a silly offer came in, by that I was taking it to mean 10 million plus 
    I took it that an offer would mean Toney or similar then affordable.

JHC and Maddison maybe what we are looking at though. Would love Pedro in from Liverpool as well though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Something does not make sence, this is slightly different to RD

We've made a decent bid for Maddison, but couldn't agree personal terms, Birmingham are in the same boat, so not really a disappointment. 

1m on JCH, 

If Lyle goes to Brentford for 4m, I feel at least 3m will be reinvested which could mean we are in for an interesting 24 hrs.

I don't think ESI would sell Taylor, bring in SCH (considering we've lost Conor and Kayel)

I understand why people are worried, I have been too. But untill Lyle actually leaves at this moment in time it's pure speculation 

On deadline day deals happen, so let's wait and see. 

• I am going to sit in a dark room and rock a while to move away from all of these doom merchants...

See you on the other side.
  • Something does not make sence, this is slightly different to RD

We've made a decent bid for Maddison, but couldn't agree personal terms, Birmingham are in the same boat, so not really a disappointment. 

1m on JCH, 

If Lyle goes to Brentford for 4m, I feel at least 3m will be reinvested which could mean we are in for an interesting 24 hrs.

I don't think ESI would sell Taylor, bring in SCH (considering we've lost Conor and Kayel)

I understand why people are worried, I have been too. But untill Lyle actually leaves at this moment in time it's pure speculation 

On deadline day deals happen, so let's wait and see. 

and with JCH and Maddison we are buying players that are in form this season rather than injured players looking for game time or resurrect careers. 

• If ESI hadn't got the dosh we must be the only club ever get brought by "Middle East money" that ain't got any ----- but it's very very Charlton

Well as far as we know they haven’t bought anything yet.

The other day the chairman was talking about Middle East sponsorship & that companies were more likely to sponsor us because of their relationship with our new “owner” rather than because of the product or something along those lines, sorry can’t be arsed to search for exact quote. (I’m sure somebody else will) What if TN doesn’t want to invest his own money in the project & talk of sponsorship is actually ESI scrabbling around for investment in the Middle East in much the same way as we are led to believe that the Aussies were ? EFL ? Maybe the Belgian agreed to defer payment for 6 months to enable ESI to raise the necessary funds through outside sponsorship/investment & in the meantime they would cover the running costs of the club. Should sufficient funding not be raised within this time TN (or others?) have a legal agreement to cover any shortfall which could explain the current lack of any championship quality signings. Far fetched ? Maybe, let’s see where we are at 23.00 Friday.

I think this is definitely possible and have been thinking the same.
  • So Cawley is adamant that Clarke-Harris would be a Taylor replacement. You can kinda see the logic, sell Taylor for a couple of Million and invest it in a 25 year old who scored 20 in his last 29 league appearances on a 3 year deal. Or lose Taylor in the summer and lose that £2m.
    Lose Taylor now and lose our Champ status. Would cost £5million off the bat in lost revenue straight away, for each season we stay down there! Would mean £15 million set aside for training ground is used over three years instead. This could very well happen! 

Or keep Taylor stay up and wave him on his merry way! 
  • That update from Rich this morning doesn’t fill me with hope. Unless Lee is bluffing.