Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Although Hull is definitely at the end of the road (the only one for miles), there are some good things about it. 

The crappy back to back Victorian tenement terraced housing creates a decent community even today and not all have more than one head.

the Deep is a great aquarium sunk down a vertical shaft where the fish including shark live at their natural levels and you walk down a ramp around the outside of the tank.

Not been there now for 15 years maybe but wasn’t anywhere close to being as bad as I thought, 
    So what everyone's saying is that I need to make Hull my next away day destination? 
  • Rossman92 said:
    So what everyone's saying is that I need to make Hull my next away day destination? 
    That’s EXACTLY what everyone (nobody, ever) is saying!
  • Rossman92 said:
    Although Hull is definitely at the end of the road (the only one for miles), there are some good things about it. 

The crappy back to back Victorian tenement terraced housing creates a decent community even today and not all have more than one head.

the Deep is a great aquarium sunk down a vertical shaft where the fish including shark live at their natural levels and you walk down a ramp around the outside of the tank.

Not been there now for 15 years maybe but wasn’t anywhere close to being as bad as I thought, 
    Only if you want to see Maddison play.
  • edited January 2020
    The myth of Maddison wanting to move up North despite it being on record it's a wage issue. Once again it's in our hands, the fingers are being pointed at the wrong person/people 

Genuine question, as I may have missed it, but where are the direct quotes from MS, Bowyer, Gallen, Maddison, his agent, or the posh Chairman stating that we aren't offering enough money?
    People putting two and two together regarding the extra £1k per week for an unnamed player and refusing to give it.

I was under the impression that that unnamed player was Kean Bryan and not Marcus Maddison but could be wide of the mark.
  • Hull away is a great weekend. Not so much for the football, but because my daughter lives there.

Any North East away game is cheap accommodation but expensive nights out!

• Rossman92 said:
    Although Hull is definitely at the end of the road (the only one for miles), there are some good things about it. 

Can’t decide if you’d prefer Luton or Hull to be fair... what a pairing that is!
  • The myth of Maddison wanting to move up North despite it being on record it's a wage issue. Once again it's in our hands, the fingers are being pointed at the wrong person/people 

Genuine question, as I may have missed it, but where are the direct quotes from MS, Bowyer, Gallen, Maddison, his agent, or the posh Chairman stating that we aren't offering enough money?
    People putting two and two together regarding the extra £1k per week for an unnamed player and refusing to give it.

I was under the impression that that unnamed player was Kean Bryan and not Marcus Maddison but could be wide of the mark.

Okay, so not "on record" then.
  • The myth of Maddison wanting to move up North despite it being on record it's a wage issue. Once again it's in our hands, the fingers are being pointed at the wrong person/people 

Where are the direct quotes of Maddison turning us down specificially cause he wants a move up North?

As for that quote, I'm basing it off Dmac saying we can't agree a wage with him
  • clb74 said:
    Think ESI will have to abort their 'listening to silly offers' regarding Lyle.

It's very simple. Just don't sell him.
    At ANY cost.
    Hi Mr. Burn, we are interesting in signing Lyle before the end of the window. Will you accept our £10 million offer?
     No
    Too bad... how about £15m to seal it now? We really do fancy him but we might move on to Ivan Toney or wait to pick him up for free in the summer.
    No good if that offer comes in at the last minute and we cant replace him.
    And at a guess whoever we were looking at his price would shoot up
    No no the chairman said the prices drop the nearer to the close of the window we get.
  • Sponsored links:

Posh chairman said tonight on Sky that both us & Birmingham agreed a fee with them & both clubs had spoken to Maddison but talks broke down over money.

Almost 100% certain the £1k extra p/wk wasn't Maddison. It was a few days or maybe a week before the Maddison story broke. Most likely a league one player we were looking at (forgotten the names of all those mentioned this month).
  • Newcastle have made Christian Atsu and Ki Sung-yueng available. Worth a look?
  • If ESI hadn't got the dosh we must be the only club ever get brought by "Middle East money" that ain't got any ----- but it's very very Charlton

Well as far as we know they haven’t bought anything yet.

The other day the chairman was talking about Middle East sponsorship & that companies were more likely to sponsor us because of their relationship with our new “owner” rather than because of the product or something along those lines, sorry can’t be arsed to search for exact quote. (I’m sure somebody else will) What if TN doesn’t want to invest his own money in the project & talk of sponsorship is actually ESI scrabbling around for investment in the Middle East in much the same way as we are led to believe that the Aussies were ? EFL ? Maybe the Belgian agreed to defer payment for 6 months to enable ESI to raise the necessary funds through outside sponsorship/investment & in the meantime they would cover the running costs of the club. Should sufficient funding not be raised within this time TN (or others?) have a legal agreement to cover any shortfall which could explain the current lack of any championship quality signings. Far fetched ? Maybe, let’s see where we are at 23.00 Friday.

• The one bit I dont understand is the fact they have paid 50 million ish for the club so surely want to protect that investment  yet are stalling over bringing in a few extra bodies mainly from lower leagues so surely we are offering them a better deal than they are currently on? I dont understand why we cant get any over the line also in the past we've done some cracking business in the loan market? Or maybee January is that much harder to get deals done or all the agents are being greedy bumping the prices up because they think we have money?
    Just hope we can get a couple of deals done as it took us a long time to get us where we are now
    Back to league 1 seems a grim possibility 
    But will kept the faith still 40 hours to go
  • The challenge with the 140byte world is people mix up the soundbites and join up the wrong dots.

Southall when he was indicating the nature of his negotiating world advised the club has agreed a deal with a club and agent to sign a midfield player on loan whereon on the point of joining the player/agent asked for an extra £1000 per week. Southall referred the request to Steve Gallen who advised he did view the player as being worth the extra money and the player trotted off to a League 1 club.

If Maddison were interested in coming to us then he would have come 2 weeks ago.

It is actually on record from the Peterboro owner that Charlton made "a good offer".

Maddison has always had three options to pursue

I. a club nearer to his northern family roots who would offer a comparable or better deal
    2. play out the season with Peterboro (are Peterborough going to pay him to sit on the bench) and explore free agency
    3. Or play chicken to see whether we or Peterboro blink in terms of Peterboro will reduce the fee so any interested club can pay them less and pay him more

If Hull match our terms he will head north.

If Hull offer less he may still head north

Or he may pursue option 2 sit out the season and leverage his "free status" where interested parties may have at least an extra £500k to play with.

That is the nature of the industry today.

It is perfectly possible Lyle Taylor will do the same.

Southall referred the request to Steve Gallen who advised he did not view the player as being worth the extra mone.

Just saying.

• Major said:

The challenge with the 140byte world is people mix up the soundbites and join up the wrong dots.

Southall when he was indicating the nature of his negotiating world advised the club has agreed a deal with a club and agent to sign a midfield player on loan whereon on the point of joining the player/agent asked for an extra £1000 per week. Southall referred the request to Steve Gallen who advised he did view the player as being worth the extra money and the player trotted off to a League 1 club.

If Maddison were interested in coming to us then he would have come 2 weeks ago.

It is actually on record from the Peterboro owner that Charlton made "a good offer".

Maddison has always had three options to pursue

I. a club nearer to his northern family roots who would offer a comparable or better deal
    2. play out the season with Peterboro (are Peterborough going to pay him to sit on the bench) and explore free agency
    3. Or play chicken to see whether we or Peterboro blink in terms of Peterboro will reduce the fee so any interested club can pay them less and pay him more

If Hull match our terms he will head north.

If Hull offer less he may still head north

Or he may pursue option 2 sit out the season and leverage his "free status" where interested parties may have at least an extra £500k to play with.

That is the nature of the industry today.

It is perfectly possible Lyle Taylor will do the same.

Southall referred the request to Steve Gallen who advised he did not view the player as being worth the extra money.

Just saying.

• edited January 2020
    Really don’t get why we’re not going all out for Maddison at this point. He’s exactly what we need 
    I think the main hangup for anyone coming here is the fact that we are in a relegation fight. Maddison is much safer on that front playing for Hull, where it looks like he is going. It's why we lost Connor too, and I suspect it's why many other players are suspicious of coming here. Why come here from a lower league only to possibly go back down?

If the transfer window was when we were top 10, I think MM (and others) would be clamoring to come here. But this is now. Players from other teams see no difference between Roland and ESI...it's all about table position and the run of form. It's like getting a loan from a bank... when you need money, no one wants to lend it. When you don't need it, loan offers keep showing up in your mail box.

Loanees from clubs above us might be the ONLY option because the players we get as loans are not committed if we falter. These players we are aiming to bring-in are NOT loyal to us, but to themselves. They are not Addicks, they are free agents, trying to get the best deal for themselves. What we desire, as fans, is meaningless to them. Another reason I hate this transfer window. It seems to attract the wrong kind of player at the wrong price.

• Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Clarke-Harris looks a great investment for 1 million at 25 years old. Left-footer, very strong, scores inside and outside the box. And judging by the Guardian article is a top bloke.

I'd be happy with Greg Docherty, though don't know a lot about him, seems to have potential going by Ranger's fans comments.

If we get these over the line tomorrow I'd think that's a good start going into deadline day.

But Lyle must stay. ESI can't sell our star striker when we're in a relegation battle.
    We need to be looking at players above division 3 level.
  • edited January 2020
    I'm going to predict at least 3 new arrivals, Taylor to stay, everyone will wonder what they spent the last week panicking about, and Perry_87 (or whatever he's called) will write an open apology to Nimer on instagram.
  • Chunes said:
    Clarke-Harris looks a great investment for 1 million at 25 years old. Left-footer, very strong, scores inside and outside the box. And judging by the Guardian article is a top bloke.

I'd be happy with Greg Docherty, though don't know a lot about him, seems to have potential going by Ranger's fans comments.

If we get these over the line tomorrow I'd think that's a good start going into deadline day.

But Lyle must stay. ESI can't sell our star striker when we're in a relegation battle.
    Planning ahead for next season. 
  • edited January 2020
    shine166 said:

Cawely seems to think it would be a replacement for lyle... Surely not.. I'm not going to believe it until it happens. 
    That's his opinion, nothing else 
    Not just Cawley's opinion that signing Clarke-Harris means Lyle is off. 

• Chunes said:

Planning ahead for next season. 
    Lol
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

We signed Lyle Taylor from division 3 level.

We also signed Andy Gray from a high level. And he'd banged in goals.

It's all meaningless. It's about the player not the level.
    The level you're in normally determines your ability.