Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    But we never invested or replaced those players.
    But it was OK when Kermorgant left because we signed Reza and Polish Pete. You can read the comments saying exactly that on here.
    We shouldn't have sold Yann, when we did, I don't think anyone would argue with that. 

We should never have signed Polish Pete or Reza, I don't think anyone would argue with that. 

But people seem to forget we stayed up that season.  The later half of the next season we played some of the most exciting attacking football I have ever seen at the Valley.  We didn't get relegated because we sold Yann, or signed Polish.

I can't imagine many people left the Hull game, 18 months after we sold Yann, moaning about it.  Selling Yann was a symptom, not the cause of our problems.  Yann wasn't sold with the best intentions of the club, the team or the fans at the forefront.

Like Walsh, Hales, Flanagan, Bent, Grant, Gorman, Polish Pete, Reza, and countless others, Taylor will leave one day.  Maybe it will be a stick to beat MS with, maybe it will be a stick that is never used, maybe he will be forgotten 6 months later.

Charlton fans, generally, seem to get overly attached to certain players, and defend them with all their heart.  That's an good thing, some times it's missed placed. Mr Morrison is the best example, of recent years. 

I did a points per game, and average league position of a Charlton legends last 100 games for the club, it makes grim reading for those that wouldn't criticise him, but I think it's meaning full.  If you want it for VotV just PM :wink:

You can always pick out odd games or short sequences of matches, but we never got anywhere near replacing Kermorgant in the side until 2018 and that was one of the reasons we went down in 2016 and stayed down for three years. My comment has nothing to do with ESI, it's about the endless ability of football fans in general to swallow and regurgitate any old nonsense in these situations. If we sell Taylor, we will be more likely to go down, as we were in 2014 after we sold Kermorgant.

Yes Taylor is good, yes we are better with him (at present) than with out him but we aren't a one man team.
    The only game we've won since the 19th October was the only game Taylor played from start to finish, which was Bristol C on Boxing Day.
    How many minutes did Taylor play against Leeds at the Valley?

1) none
    2) I can't remember
    3) whataboutery

How many games have we lost, since the 19th of October that Johnny Williams has played the full 90 minutes. 

1) none
    2) none
    3) what was the question? 
  • Chirivella in Liverpool U23 side against wolves tonight.
  • Scoham said:
    cfgs said:
    Scoham said:
    Addickted said:
    Sounds like our midfield problems have been resolved by the loan signing of Ranger's Greg Docherty.

More a wigwam than a marquee.
    Someone on Facebook says it'll be announced tomorrow.
    Facebook makes the other forms of social media look like bastions of truth.
    I thought we were desperate for rumours? Stop moaning and get behind the team rumour.
    I apologise profusely for my cynical nature, I shall now turn over a new leaf and believe everything I am told.....just off to move emails out of the junk folder on my computer. Who knew I owned so many diamond mines via recently dead distant relatives.
  • stonemuse said:
    The person who posted that rambling load of nonsense and abuse really is an embarrassment to his family and most Charlton supporters!! We have new owners who have been 'in-situ' just 27 days and yet they are 'insisting' we get players now. The bloody transfer window doesnt close for another 3 days, they have no idea, as do any of us, what is going on behind the scenes, who we may be close to signing or have already signed etc etc. I would absolutely love it, that if come Friday at 11 pm, we have announced 3, 4 or even 5 good signings. A lot of people on most social media who have been slagging off ESI and MS are going to look bloody stupid, especially the prat who wrote that 'diatribe' on HE Instagram account!!! Bloody idiot!! 
    Social media has created an ‘I want it now’ philosophy, and a need by some to be publicly indignant. Impatience seems to be their motto. 

Many of these people are the epitome of the old time ‘pub bore’ who seemed to have an opinion on everything but ... like the one or two we have on CL ...  they could be ignored. 

I do use social media, and find it useful and entertaining, but posting this on HE’s Instagram is just a ridiculous ‘look-at-me’ approach. 

Face to face with MS, in a one to one, he’d be as meek as a little baby lamb. 
  • edited January 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:
    Sounds like our midfield problems have been resolved by the loan signing of Ranger's Greg Docherty.

Have we signed him then?
    mart77 said:
    Addickted said:

Is that confirmed?
    Not confirmed, but pretty confident it's happening.

Addickted said:

Source ?

According to some, my made up source B)
    I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• jondon76 said:
    ross1 said:
    Docherty not in Rangers squad tonight
    Never is is he?
    Spat me Horlicks out when I read that
  • stonemuse said:
    Sage said:
    Chirivella in Liverpool U23 side against wolves tonight.
    This is what I fail to understand, with many players. But at 22 (23 in May), if you’re not anywhere near the first team of your club in the league, you’re never going to play for them. He’s played 6 games for Liverpool in cup competitions in his career. It’s surely best to move on and get regular first team football elsewhere and develop your career rather than constantly stagnating it.
    Must be the money 
    He’s out of contract in the summer. Will be interesting to see what happens with him, although I still hope we manage to sign him before Friday.

But of course it’s the money. Just he could still have a very good career being paid handsomely at Championship level with the aim of getting into the Premier League in a couple of years. 
  • Addickted said:
    Addickted said:

Have we signed him then?
    mart77 said:
    Addickted said:

Is that confirmed?

Addickted said:

Source ?

Actually, I think it’s your sources source that makes this stuff up Nick. :|
  • Dizzle said:
    Sky says Bristol City closing in on a deal for Nahki Wells. Good news for us if this means they cool interest in Lyle.

we just need Brentford to fuck off now
    Where are they getting that kind of money from? Wasnt £7 million touted?
  • I would like to add that the January transfer window can be a bit like an auction.

Lots of frustrated comments that we've only got Green in on loan (yes I'm frustrated as well).

But most clubs and players are still mid auction and are waiting for higher bids. 

The majority of deals happens when the auction is coming to a close ie in the last few days and specifically on the final day.

Surely we all know this if we're honest ?
    I posted this on the 15th January. 
    The auction/poker is coming to a close. 
  • Addickted said:
    Addickted said:

Have we signed him then?
    mart77 said:
    Addickted said:

Is that confirmed?

Addickted said:

Source ?

Actually, I think it’s your sources source that makes this stuff up Nick. :|
    Well, we'll see tomorrow :*
  • ChiAddick said:
    Dizzle said:
    Sky says Bristol City closing in on a deal for Nahki Wells. Good news for us if this means they cool interest in Lyle.

we just need Brentford to fuck off now
    Where are they getting that kind of money from? Wasnt £7 million touted?
    Either a loan or from their billionaire owner Stephen Lansdown (Hargreaves Lansdown). 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    But it was OK when Kermorgant left because we signed Reza and Polish Pete. You can read the comments saying exactly that on here.
    We shouldn't have sold Yann, when we did, I don't think anyone would argue with that. 

We should never have signed Polish Pete or Reza, I don't think anyone would argue with that. 

But people seem to forget we stayed up that season.  The later half of the next season we played some of the most exciting attacking football I have ever seen at the Valley.  We didn't get relegated because we sold Yann, or signed Polish.

I can't imagine many people left the Hull game, 18 months after we sold Yann, moaning about it.  Selling Yann was a symptom, not the cause of our problems.  Yann wasn't sold with the best intentions of the club, the team or the fans at the forefront.

Like Walsh, Hales, Flanagan, Bent, Grant, Gorman, Polish Pete, Reza, and countless others, Taylor will leave one day.  Maybe it will be a stick to beat MS with, maybe it will be a stick that is never used, maybe he will be forgotten 6 months later.

Charlton fans, generally, seem to get overly attached to certain players, and defend them with all their heart.  That's an good thing, some times it's missed placed. Mr Morrison is the best example, of recent years. 

I did a points per game, and average league position of a Charlton legends last 100 games for the club, it makes grim reading for those that wouldn't criticise him, but I think it's meaning full.  If you want it for VotV just PM :wink:

You can always pick out odd games or short sequences of matches, but we never got anywhere near replacing Kermorgant in the side until 2018 and that was one of the reasons we went down in 2016 and stayed down for three years. My comment has nothing to do with ESI, it's about the endless ability of football fans in general to swallow and regurgitate any old nonsense in these situations. If we sell Taylor, we will be more likely to go down, as we were in 2014 after we sold Kermorgant.
    But its OK to regurgitate any old nonsense that we got relegated in 2014, because we sold Yann , because we didn't. 

We didn't get relegated 2 years later because Yann wasn't there. 

Yes Taylor is good, yes we are better with him (at present) than with out him but we aren't a one man team.  He isn't "that good" we recovered from the loss of Mendonca, Hunt, BWP, even Yann, even Parker.  The fact things went the shape of a pear years later isn't as simple as that.  With 2020 vision we should have sold Mendonca, Hunt, and BWP after promotion. As an example. 
    I said we were more likely to go down, and we were. I said it damaged us for years, and it did.

We won't necessarily go down if we sell Taylor, but we won't fill the hole he will leave between now and May.
    The hole that a "journey man" striker filled for 18 months, get over yourself man.  If he was that good we wouldn't have signed him in the first place. 

The guy has played less than 20 championship games in his life.  Of course I want him to stay.

Are we, currently, better off with him? 100% yes.

Is he that good that, if he left, we would be should be crying into our tear socked boxers, of course we bloody shouldn't. 

BTW if we are playing moneyball, which "the plan" suggests we are the firm of solicitors from Bristol sound more likely. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chirivella in Liverpool U23 side against wolves tonight.
    I do wonder if we are trying to buy him. Liverpool have to get off the pot.

Is he part of their future plans or not? Not, in my opinion.

I think they maybe happy to sell, but I am not sure he wants to stay in England. The problem is he is a forgotten man in Spain.

It maybe down to Liverpool want to sell and he wants a loan to get interest from back home as the next best thing to do. I really don’t think he will sign again for them. 18 month contract for not a lot of money?

Would so love him at the Valley. 
  • The myth of Maddison wanting to move up North despite it being on record it's a wage issue. Once again it's in our hands, the fingers are being pointed at the wrong person/people 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:

But its OK to regurgitate any old nonsense that we got relegated in 2014, because we sold Yann , because we didn't. 

We didn't get relegated 2 years later because Yann wasn't there. 

Yes Taylor is good, yes we are better with him (at present) than with out him but we aren't a one man team.  He isn't "that good" we recovered from the loss of Mendonca, Hunt, BWP, even Yann, even Parker.  The fact things went the shape of a pear years later isn't as simple as that.  With 2020 vision we should have sold Mendonca, Hunt, and BWP after promotion. As an example. 
    I said we were more likely to go down, and we were. I said it damaged us for years, and it did.

We won't necessarily go down if we sell Taylor, but we won't fill the hole he will leave between now and May.
    The hole that a "journey man" striker filled for 18 months, get over yourself man.  If he was that good we wouldn't have signed him in the first place. 

The guy has played less than 20 championship games in his life.  Of course I want him to stay.

Are we, currently, better off with him? 100% yes.

Is he that good that, if he left, we would be should be crying into our tear socked boxers, of course we bloody shouldn't. 

BTW if we are playing moneyball, which "the plan" suggests we are the firm of solicitors from Bristol sound more likely. 
    Could you re-write that in English please, because that reads like gibberish. 
  • The myth of Maddison wanting to move up North despite it being on record it's a wage issue. Once again it's in our hands, the fingers are being pointed at the wrong person/people 
    If he wants more a week than we think he’s worth, we shouldn’t sign him. If we are deluded in what we think he’s worth at this stage, well more fool us. 

We have been told different things at different times. Initially The super chatty P’boro chairman said money talks and if we were all that interested we would have a deal. Then he said that we had tabled a really decent deal but wasn’t enough. Now we hear Birmingham tables similar offer to P’boro as we did but turned out wanted to it over a period of time so not at the table.

if you believe all this, we are trying to get him but don’t want to overpay in wages. If that’s not overpay compared to competitive championship fair enough, if it’s overpay compared to league one, bit more tricky. 
  • Rossman92 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Peterborough owner said he'd discuss the Maddison saga on the SSN Transfer show tonight at 7. Anyone watching?
    Thought the same. You can watch it here 
    https://youtu.be/XkrpWZpCQlI
    Talking about Maddison now

Maddison just couldnt agree terms with us after all terms had been agreed with Charlton and Peterborough

Birmingham bids pretty much the same as ours

Another mid-table Championship team about to sell two players, with that money they're likely to buy him tomorrow
    Grosicki is going to WBA, so Maddison is off to Hull presumably.
    Better geographically for him, and Grosicki would have been on high wages, so Hull could afford to pay Maddison a decent amount and still save money
    Living in Hull vs London though. Obviously never been but hasn't it been voted the worst place to live in England? Bless him
    Hull 2-0 London 
  • Although Hull is definitely at the end of the road (the only one for miles), there are some good things about it. 

The crappy back to back Victorian tenement terraced housing creates a decent community even today and not all have more than one head.

the Deep is a great aquarium sunk down a vertical shaft where the fish including shark live at their natural levels and you walk down a ramp around the outside of the tank.

Not been there now for 15 years maybe but wasn’t anywhere close to being as bad as I thought,