Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    So your opinion is based on the fact that you haven't seen any of them play ?
    Driesen ?
  • I assume we have all come to accept we have a £shop Sheik and not a real one? 
  • So most of the players we've been linked with this window have been strikers, and our main priority is said to be a CM, I think that just goes to show most of those ITK/Twitter journo types are full of horseshit
  • Jamie19 said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Clarke-Harris is a 3rd tier journeyman, not as good as Taylor but plays the same role. Why buy him now unless Taylor deal is already done? What we are missing in attack is a pacy goal scorer and a Gallagher style attacking midfielder. Clarke-Harris is neither of those so he would be superfluous if he comes and Taylor stays.
    How would you describe Taylor 18 months ago? 
    Similarly at that stage, but not now. CH may turn out fine, but replacing Taylor while in the predicament we are in is very, very risky.
    Taylor at the same age was bang average and didn’t score many at all apart from in the conference or lower league Scottish football.
    But not bang average now. February is the key month, which starts on Saturday. We can invest in longer term prospects once we have earned our Championship survival. Selling Taylor now makes no sense at all.
  • edited January 2020
    signed for Dresden in Bundesliga 2
  • signed for Dresden in Bundesliga 2
    Damn... Another one we couldnt agree terms with ;)
  • I’m glad our priority is a CM
    Which is why I'm surprised we've not got Maddison over the line.
  • _MrDick said:
    What I don’t get is why we leave it until late in the day to make this bid. We’ve had since 1 January to get this going. It ain’t leaving Gas much time to get a replacement and they’re more than likely going to turn this down I reckon 

Not wetting the bed just yet. However, I find it fascinating that under RD we were bidding 4M for players in the league below but with this lot, 1 bid which I think was laughed at for the Bristol Rovers striker, other than that we have only heard about a couple of loans - One of which a player that can not get into a team in the SPL...

We need bodies, let's not mess about. ESI need time I agree, but they could either get off to a rockey start, or great start and no signings in my opinion welcomes the rockey start.

The 4m bid was in the summer when the market is completely different. If you're going to compare ESI to RD then at the moment you can only compare the January window. Last January we sold one of our best strikers and replaced him with Parker... This Jan we're willing to make nothing on Taylor and keep him until the end of his contract.

Also what's the difference between having a 4m bid rejected under RD to having undisclosed bids rejected under ESI? End of the day the result is the same. 

We have made bids for players this window but it's a sellers and players market, we can't make people sell or players join. 
    Not unreasonable though to have higher expectations now, going from a hated owner with no interest in the club and wanting to sell, to ambitious new owners who deliberately bought the club (excluding the stadium and training ground) BECAUSE of the importance of the January window.

And to be fair, last season we kept Bauer (in the same contract situation as Taylor) so it's not as if we always flogged players with contracts running down under Roland.
    Yeah and that is a fair point which is entirely at MS door for over promising and under delivering. Also with all the stuff he said about a marquee he's shot himself in the foot. He should have come in and set modest expectations for the rest of this season.
    I think for this window we need to lower our expectations or risk being disappoin
  • Sponsored links:

• The value of staying in the Championship is far greater than the price we will get for Lyle
    Going to throw in a real curve ball here.......do we know if Lyle would pass a fitness test?
    That was a pretty nasty injury and layoff he had, including a worrying set back shortly before he was due back.
    Complete left field comment on my part I know......but may quite understandably be of considerable concern to prospective buyers.
  • Gone to Dynamo Dresden, 2. Bundesliga really isn't too much different in terms of skill for Eredivisie in my opinion. Can't imagine he'll just walk in there and score 20 goals
  • It would be quite a feat actually even for a groundbreaking club like Charlton.

Taken over by Middle Eastern money and relegated...

I prefer to rely on my faith in Bowyer and the lads.
  • We simply aren’t in a position to buy or loan hopefuls, we have to get in proven players at this moment in time and like it or not that costs serious money.
  • My view on the JCH bid is that he is a replacement for Lyle. Brentford have probably come back in for him, esp after losing last night & that's why we have put in a (late) bid for him. 

I know RD supposedly said our bid for Toney last August was not a replacement for Taylor, but I dont buy that bullshit.....esp when it was with RD in charge. 

At least we are looking at buying decent in form & experienced strikers (Toney, Gnadduillet & JCH) rather than very young loanees from Spurs, Watford or Norwich. 
  • My view on the JCH bid is that he is a replacement for Lyle. Brentford have probably come back in for him, esp after losing last night & that's why we have put in a (late) bid for him. 

I know RD supposedly said our bid for Toney last August was not a replacement for Taylor, but I dont buy that bullshit.....esp when it was with RD in charge. 

At least we are looking at buying decent in form & experienced strikers (Toney, Gnadduillet & JCH) rather than very young loanees from Spurs, Watford or Norwich. 
    Maybe just me but I’d prefer Troy Parrott to Gnanduillet or JCH

RD didn’t say it, Lee Bowyer said it re Toney 

Cawley has already said our Toney bid was as a replacement for Taylor so it was massive BS from Roland 
  • Addickted said:
    I’m glad our priority is a CM
    Which is why I'm surprised we've not got Maddison over the line.
    How do you know we haven't?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    CAFCDB said:
    My view on the JCH bid is that he is a replacement for Lyle. Brentford have probably come back in for him, esp after losing last night & that's why we have put in a (late) bid for him. 

Cawley has already said our Toney bid was as a replacement for Taylor so it was massive BS from Roland 
    Bowyer himself said it was to play Toney alongside Taylor so not BS from Roland unless you can find the quotes coming from RD? Cawley sometimes only speculates not everything he posts is actual fact.
  • CAFCDB said:
    My view on the JCH bid is that he is a replacement for Lyle. Brentford have probably come back in for him, esp after losing last night & that's why we have put in a (late) bid for him. 

It was Bowyer who said that not RD.
  • Peterborough owner said he'd discuss the Maddison saga on the SSN Transfer show tonight at 7. Anyone watching?
  • Adebeyor is out of contract lol... been playing in turkey 
  • redbuttle said:
    Moan theres no players being bought.

Moan when theres a bid being put in for a player because "he isnt as good as Taylor".

We are brilliant. 

Trust Gallen,Bowyer and Southall and there much better knowledge.
    We do have some special fans. 

I'll agree with 2 of those 3 names.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Peterborough owner said he'd discuss the Maddison saga on the SSN Transfer show tonight at 7. Anyone watching?
    Thought the same. You can watch it here 
    https://youtu.be/XkrpWZpCQlI
  • cafcfan said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    £1m, we really are shopping at Lidl and Aldi. But Lidl and Aldi have some very good items. 
    I’d be more than happy to spend 1m on 2/3 signings and then 1 or 2 loans.
    Glad to hear that mate.  Have you transferred your funds to the club yet?  :)
    That was in response to dazzler saying 1m on a signing is shopping in Aldi/Lidl.
  • Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    But we never invested or replaced those players.
    But it was OK when Kermorgant left because we signed Reza and Polish Pete. You can read the comments saying exactly that on here.
    We shouldn't have sold Yann, when we did, I don't think anyone would argue with that. 

We should never have signed Polish Pete or Reza, I don't think anyone would argue with that. 

But people seem to forget we stayed up that season.  The later half of the next season we played some of the most exciting attacking football I have ever seen at the Valley.  We didn't get relegated because we sold Yann, or signed Polish.

I can't imagine many people left the Hull game, 18 months after we sold Yann, moaning about it.  Selling Yann was a symptom, not the cause of our problems.  Yann wasn't sold with the best intentions of the club, the team or the fans at the forefront.

Like Walsh, Hales, Flanagan, Bent, Grant, Gorman, Polish Pete, Reza, and countless others, Taylor will leave one day.  Maybe it will be a stick to beat MS with, maybe it will be a stick that is never used, maybe he will be forgotten 6 months later.

Charlton fans, generally, seem to get overly attached to certain players, and defend them with all their heart.  That's an good thing, some times it's missed placed. Mr Morrison is the best example, of recent years. 

I did a points per game, and average league position of a Charlton legends last 100 games for the club, it makes grim reading for those that wouldn't criticise him, but I think it's meaning full.  If you want it for VotV just PM :wink:

• edited January 2020
    Valley11 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Peterborough owner said he'd discuss the Maddison saga on the SSN Transfer show tonight at 7. Anyone watching?
    Thought the same. You can watch it here 
    https://youtu.be/XkrpWZpCQlI
    Talking about Maddison now

Maddison just couldnt agree terms with us after all terms had been agreed with Charlton and Peterborough

Birmingham bids pretty much the same as ours

Another mid-table Championship team about to sell two players, with that money they're likely to buy him tomorrow