Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Think ESI will have to abort their 'listening to silly offers' regarding Lyle.

It's very simple. Just don't sell him.
    At ANY cost.
    Hi Mr. Burn, we are interesting in signing Lyle before the end of the window. Will you accept our £10 million offer?
  • wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    But we never invested or replaced those players.
  • We need an update on the title since we have a real rumour!
  • wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hypothetical but would people take Clarke-Harris, Maddison and Gnanduillet if it meant Taylor leaves ? 
    No no no.  Never seen any of them play and none of them have a proven championship record .  Selling our best player in January has never worked well - Parker, Reid, Kermorgant
    We really have to try and keep Taylor but he'd never been a proven championship player either before we gave him a real opportunity and he's almost 30. 
  • Rossman92 said:

Cawely seems to think it would be a replacement for lyle... Surely not.. I'm not going to believe it until it happens. 
    Right into meltdown Twitter goes. Unless we are offered silly money, I think Lyle will stay. Speculation is nothing but speculation 
    Me too, not convinced this is true unless we are getting silly money for Lyle. 
  • Sponsored links:

• whatever happens with Taylor also remember that we still need replacements for Gallagher and Kayal
  • Crucial that we keep Taylor regardless of who we sign. Let him walk on a free at the end of the season.
  • edited January 2020
    Southbank said:
    Clarke-Harris is a 3rd tier journeyman, not as good as Taylor but plays the same role. Why buy him now unless Taylor deal is already done? What we are missing in attack is a pacy goal scorer and a Gallagher style attacking midfielder. Clarke-Harris is neither of those so he would be superfluous if he comes and Taylor stays.
    Taylor is right footed. I think JCH is left footed.
  • Think ESI will have to abort their 'listening to silly offers' regarding Lyle.

At ANY cost.
    Hi Mr. Burn, we are interesting in signing Lyle before the end of the window. Will you accept our £10 million offer?
     No
  • edited January 2020
    Think ESI will have to abort their 'listening to silly offers' regarding Lyle.

At ANY cost.
     No
    Too bad... how about £15m to seal it now? We really do fancy him but we might move on to Ivan Toney or wait to pick him up for free in the summer.
  • We need Taylor until the end of the season, he’s not realistically replaceable at this moment.

Really can’t see him going this window.... as others have said, it would be an incredibly risky move. 
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    What I don’t get is why we leave it until late in the day to make this bid. We’ve had since 1 January to get this going. It ain’t leaving Gas much time to get a replacement and they’re more than likely going to turn this down I reckon 
    You answered the question yourself Dick.
    “What I don’t get is why”........exactly, you don’t know why and nor does anyone apart from those few main individuals involved, for all you know it could be a shrewdly timed bid.
    Why do you automatically consider it’s a mistake? Have you considered that a deal or two for other targets could have fallen through and that’s why we are now in the frame.
    It could be for countless reasons that we are only bidding now......it could even be that we have been negotiating for a good while longer and have only just made it known........who knows?
    There’s several games of poker going on with Championship clubs at this very moment, in which we are no doubt heavily involved.
  • Southbank said:
    Clarke-Harris is a 3rd tier journeyman, not as good as Taylor but plays the same role. Why buy him now unless Taylor deal is already done? What we are missing in attack is a pacy goal scorer and a Gallagher style attacking midfielder. Clarke-Harris is neither of those so he would be superfluous if he comes and Taylor stays.
    How would you describe Taylor 18 months ago? 
    Similarly at that stage, but not now. CH may turn out fine, but replacing Taylor while in the predicament we are in is very, very risky.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Southbank said:
    If you signed 10 forwards from league 1 who’d rattled a few in that league, 0/10 maybe 2/10 tops, would turn out as much a revelation as Lyle.  

So people have every right to be cautious, personally I happen to rate JCH, but cannot blame anyone who thinks otherwise especially when our relegation rivals are signing proven championship forwards (Rhodes/Hogan), and we ain’t.

At ANY cost.
     No
    Too bad... how about £15m to seal it now? We really do fancy him but we might move on to Ivan Toney or wait to pick him up for free in the summer.
    No good if that offer comes in at the last minute and we cant replace him.
    And at a guess whoever we were looking at his price would shoot up
  • Jamie19 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    But we never invested or replaced those players.
    But it was OK when Kermorgant left because we signed Reza and Polish Pete. You can read the comments saying exactly that on here.
    Totally unproven players compared to 3 players that have over 25 goals between them this season, bit different. Taylor’s going to leave at the end of the season anyway I’d personally take the money and invest more than what we are already planning to do so but that’s just my opinion, as it helps this season and builds for next.
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Similarly at that stage, but not now. CH may turn out fine, but replacing Taylor while in the predicament we are in is very, very risky.
    Taylor at the same age was bang average and didn’t score many at all apart from in the conference or lower league Scottish football.
  • If ESI hadn't got the dosh we must be the only club ever get brought by "Middle East money" that ain't got any ----- but it's very very Charlton
  • On the basis that I was prepared to give the polish kid a chance when we sold kermogant, I’m staying out of the Taylor/ch debate