Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Someone on Twitter claiming a Shamrock Rovers player rejected us due to the wages offered. If true presumably Jack Byrne who was mentioned on here yesterday.
  • Scoham said:
    Fake Henry claiming on Twitter a Shamrock Rovers player rejected us due to the wages offered. Presumably Jack Byrne who was mentioned on here yesterday.
    Isn't that what was said on here other than it was the club not the player?

Fake Henry, Fake news
  • The Oztumer saga is a perfect example of how frustrating January can be and wont be the fault of anyone at Charlton if we dont manage to do a deal

Dont forget Erhun was practically ready to sign this time last year yet the deal fell through because Bolton didnt get their own replacement in

Id be shocked if events like that arent the reason for the slow activity
  • edited January 2020
    We needed help before the PNE game which was winnable,nothing happened.
    LB asked for players before the Fulham game ,nothing happened.
    LB has said he wants 5 players in ----- ???

To late for 5 and the best I think is the brother of a good player, the guy from Rangers reserves of Maddison and a loan forward.

That's the best and would do but I think it's now unlikely

Still ESi got in a PR guy straight away so fuc k the playing side
  • The Oztumer saga is a perfect example of how frustrating January can be and wont be the fault of anyone at Charlton if we dont manage to do a deal

Dont forget Erhun was practically ready to sign this time last year yet the deal fell through because Bolton didnt get their own replacement in

I get that but other clubs are getting things done and you’d think we’re more desperate than most due to injuries and league position, plus the fact we’ve been told we’d get a few in, all this should have been done earlier. 

I’ll hold my hands up and say I was wrong and impatient if Southall pulls it out the bag and gets 3/4 top signings because that’s what we need.

Agreed. The loans we seem to be looking at appear to have some real pedigree and are in, or on the cusp of being in some top sides.
    There is a fair shortage of firepower in the prem at the moment and those lower clubs with some firepower are obviously scared their prised assets may be snatched. They are scared to let go of their cusp players in case they are left with nothing.

But apparently that’s irrelevant, “I don’t care what other clubs are doing, I care what we do”.
  • Jamie19 said:
    The Oztumer saga is a perfect example of how frustrating January can be and wont be the fault of anyone at Charlton if we dont manage to do a deal

I get that but other clubs are getting things done and you’d think we’re more desperate than most due to injuries and league position, plus the fact we’ve been told we’d get a few in, all this should have been done earlier. 

I’ll hold my hands up and say I was wrong and impatient if Southall pulls it out the bag and gets 3/4 top signings because that’s what we need.
    Where? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

The only signings being made are where clubs are turning loans into permanent transfers
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Jamie19 said:
    The Oztumer saga is a perfect example of how frustrating January can be and wont be the fault of anyone at Charlton if we dont manage to do a deal

The only signings being made are where clubs are turning loans into permanent transfers
    Leeds have got them done. They've made 3 signings (keeper, winger, striker).

Admittedly a lot easier for a side top of the table to make signings than one that is 4th from bottom though.
  • Jamie19 said:

There’s still several deals being done though and we’re in a different position to most teams and with currently the lowest wage budget it would be nice to bridge that gap to be on par with other teams, I really thought we’d go for it this window after that press conference mentioning 3 bids made etc and now the only rumours coming out are for loans of 17-19 year old players, don’t get me wrong I’m still buzzing Roland has gone but it all just feels a bit disappointing at the moment.
  • Keep the faith, we are not down yet! Yes I agree it is frustrating it seems to be a slow window (same as ever!) but we do have a lot of returning players, hopefully we sign a couple of people. Striker/ CM ideally, but we cant go crazy as most of the rebuilding would be in the summer.

Fingers crossed like the main window we pull out a couple of crackers to ensure safety.

• Jamie19 said:

Leeds have got them done. They've made 3 signings (keeper, winger, striker).

Admittedly a lot easier for a side top of the table to make signings than one that is 4th from bottom though.
    Plus they're just one of a handful of sides

I'd agree with that side of the argument if we were one of a few to do very little business but its the other way around, your looking at a very few who have done anything
  • Jamie19 said:
    Jamie19 said:

There’s still several deals being done though and we’re in a different position to most teams and with currently the lowest wage budget it would be nice to bridge that gap to be on par with other teams, I really thought we’d go for it this window after that press conference mentioning 3 bids made etc and now the only rumours coming out are for loans of 17-19 year old players, don’t get me wrong I’m still buzzing Roland has gone but it all just feels a bit disappointing at the moment.
    Dont forget though as Gallen said in the Press Conference; its not just a case of going to find three players with those being your targets

You have at least ten players who end up getting whittled down
  • Good job all the new signings have had a full weeks training with the squad in order to bed in for Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Did anyone else prefer it when Gallen and Bowyer were dealing with transfers?
    That can only be answered in 60 hours time, but the relationship and dynamic between Steve and Lee feels different now Matt Southall is a hands on Chairman.
    In what way does it feel different? What experience of their relationship do you have? 
    Lee Bowyer voices his concerns to the media where before he told Gallen who spoke to Duchatelet. At tomorrow's meeting and how Lee speaks about the window and how frustrated he is that some targets aren't in the building will give a lot of clues how the new triumvirate is working, or not working.
  • edited January 2020
    I see another frustrating day today. Luckily Cawley is back tomorrow and they can finally announce the signings!
  • Pretty sure Cawley is back today and they were waiting for him to announce the signings....
    He's not back until tomorrow or Friday. 
  • edited January 2020
    Pretty sure Cawley is back today and they were waiting for him to announce the signings....
    Think he is actually back tomorrow, Tweeted earlier about Pogba but said he wasn't in work today.

(Edited)
    Here is the tweet....

• I see another frustrating day today. Luckily Cawley is back tomorrow and they can finally announce the signings!
    Sorry I got you before you edited!
  • I see another frustrating day today. Luckily Cawley is back tomorrow and they can finally announce the signings!
    Sorry I got you before you edited!
    As did I.

• Birmingham not one of the clubs in the running now for Maddison according to Peterborough owner 

Shows it's not just us being tight at least.
    Makes you wonder what kind of wages he is after?
    All things being equal why would he sign for us, now?  He knows he can move to a championship club in the summer.  The wages on offer won't go down between now and then. If he does that 1 he is on a free so could get a better deal, 2 he knows that he has a full season of championship football to look forward to.  If he signs for us, or even Birmingham, he could be stuck in league next season?  Posh might even wave on the way passed. 
  • edited January 2020
    cfgs said:
    Pretty sure Cawley is back today and they were waiting for him to announce the signings....
    Think he is actually back tomorrow, Tweeted earlier about Pogba but said he wasn't in work today.

(Edited)
    Here is the tweet....

I said on CL it might be a favour. Quite rare that I'm right ;-)
    I think that sort of thing happens quite often in football. Doesn't cost the club anything, and they get to look at the player with no pressure to sign. And presumably do a favour to someone.

• Birmingham not one of the clubs in the running now for Maddison according to Peterborough owner 

I’m sure Maddison will want to wait till the summer. He knows the £750k Charlton or any other team are willing to pay now (to release him from his contract) will be his in the form of a signing on fee. Posh are trying to push him out now so they can get some return on his contract running down. He’s only going to leave now if a team offers him what he will get in the summer and that is probably too much for most. If we do manage to sign him in this window we will have paid a premium on what he will be available for in the summer.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Birmingham not one of the clubs in the running now for Maddison according to Peterborough owner 

All things being equal why would he sign for us, now?  He knows he can move to a championship club in the summer.  The wages on offer won't go down between now and then. If he does that 1 he is on a free so could get a better deal, 2 he knows that he has a full season of championship football to look forward to.  If he signs for us, or even Birmingham, he could be stuck in league next season?  Posh might even wave on the way passed. 
    Unless he gets some sort of injury then he’s fucked, especially if it’s a bad one and he can do that in the gym even if Peterborough don’t play him, not sure id want to take the risk.