Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Millwall have spent over £2m.
  • Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but I’ve seen an article saying we’ve already passed on Pogba as we ‘want a younger centre back with a resale value’

•  mart77 said:
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but I’ve seen an article saying we’ve already passed on Pogba as we ‘want a younger centre back with a resale value’

Surely bowyer knew his age and he was invited to train with us
  •  mart77 said:
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but I’ve seen an article saying we’ve already passed on Pogba as we ‘want a younger centre back with a resale value’

I think ‘want a younger centre back with resale value’ is just a let down really for him either not being good enough or not fitting in. 
  • Are we shopping at Lidl instead of M&S.
  • Dizzle said:
     mart77 said:

I think ‘want a younger centre back with resale value’ is just a let down really for him either not being good enough or not fitting in. 
    I’m sure “the model” MS talks about is around signing young players and using the academy.

As long as that’s combined with reliable proven players that’s a good thing.

We got it badly wrong in 15/16 when the bulk of the squad were from the academy or abroad.
  • It's a game of poker.

Or to be more accurate multiple games of poker.

And yes, the stakes get higher every minute as the end of window approaches.

But that doesn't just apply to us. It's the same for other clubs, agents and players.

Will ESI blink?

Are ESI bluffing?

Are ESI overplaying a weak hand?

Or maybe ESI hold all aces?

F***ed if I know. It's getting tense for sure but we're in the game.
    It's a game of poker...and end the end of it we're left in our pants!
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a game of poker.

But that doesn't just apply to us. It's the same for other clubs, agents and players.

Will ESI blink?

Are ESI bluffing?

This. In previous years we've overpaid for Texeira or brought Roger Johnson back, two examples of panic signings amongst others, agents saw us coming every year throughout the RD era as easy pickings. Lets hope those days are over.
  • It's a game of poker.

Will ESI blink?

Are ESI bluffing?

This is correct but the stakes aren’t the same for every club. Some are floating in mid table with nothing at risk and can wait till summer. Some are flirting with the riches of the premier league.

we are flirting with league one so it can be argued we have less leeway than some others 
  • Sage said:
    Are we shopping at Lidl instead of M&S.
    Depends how late we leave it, M&S usually close at 9pm whereas Lidl close at 10pm.
    Just been to M and S and got some cracking yellow label bargains, so maybe they know what they’re doing after all by leaving it to the last minute...
  • Just hope ESI's 5 year plan will stretch to 8 or even 10 years. Over the last 50 years every time we've been relegated to the 3rd tier it's taken us 3 years to get out. And now there are bigger & better teams than Hartlepool & Accrington down there.  

Relegation is very much on the cards. We are on the slide & the lack of hardened players that can stop it & turn it around is worrying. Drafting in players from the Irish league or players that have not played competitively in this league wont cut it I'm afraid. For every Gallagher there are Dodoos & Kai Kai's. 
    Accrington are in the third tier
  • MS is reminding me of the Sunderland CEO in the Netflix series. He had his fancy clobber, Range Rover and espresso machine but could not get any signings over the line. Funnily enough they signed Johnny Williams on loan but he got injured and they got relegated !
  • Scoham said:
    Since we're so desperate for any rumours here's one made up by a teenager in his bedroom.
    A SIGNING...  A SIGNING...  YAY!

Oh fuck!
  • Even the optimists amongst us are getting a bit fed up now, I like everything Iv seen from ESI and Matt Southall but this is really going down to the wire Now,
    I still think we need 3/4 signings and I’m getting anxious it’s not going to happen, I don’t think talking about marquee signings and getting in for the beginning of jan to make signings and save our season has done him any favours,
    plus the tweet two weeks ago about deals pending made things sound close when clearly not, got 3 days to sort it but I’m getting worried.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Since we're so desperate for any rumours here's one made up by a teenager in his bedroom.

Oh fuck!
    he giveth he taketh away
  • Scoham said:

Oh fuck!
    Have we put down a deposit?
  • edited January 2020
    I feel quite relieved that Taylor will be staying now because 29th tomorrow and you would've to be very inept to sell your top scorer and assists player over the last 18 months, when you could be in 21st place come Saturday. Even Roland resisted the bid 5 minutes before the window closed in the Summer, so no way will Matt sell Lyle because he would've no credibility left after working so hard at networking during the last two months and saying he wouldn't sell Taylor.

• Surely we've got to get some new signings over the line before Tahnoon visits. A team weaker than before they took over at the end of the window cannot be allowed to happen. Surely?
  • Now only one place above the trap door. Getting out of this mess is not going to be as easy as so many of you think. I hope this is focussing the mind of ESI.
  • after tonight's results perhaps MS might open up his wallet
  • A win and a draw to the good. But yeah we need some signings and I'm starting to doubt my eternal optimism will hold.
  • se9addick said:
    Is it wrong for me to feel like we might have seen more activity so far in the shape of incomings this window if Roland was still in charge?
    Yes
    se9addick said:
    Is it wrong for me to feel like we might have seen more activity so far in the shape of incomings this window if Roland was still in charge?
    Very
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m very glad Roland has gone and hopeful that the new ownership will get us back on track. I’m just surprised that the ESI regime have been unable to secure more incoming business so far. I wonder if a takeover going through at the start of the window isn’t the blessing it seemed at the time if it means that vital squad strengthening is unable to take place due to the disruption caused. Maybe a couple of months before or immediately after would have been better from a recruitment perspective. 
  • Shit just got real!