Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Options
    Huddersfield are down so unless they bounce straight back up his Premiership career will be over in the blink of an eye.
  • Options

Huddersfield are down so unless they bounce straight back up his Premiership career will be over in the blink of an eye.

Or he scores goals and another Premier League team comes in for him.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Yeah I think it's all been said really. Some really nice tributes to him on Instagram. Lyle Taylor's in particular was really, really sweet.

I think it's a good move for him. And I think any club at our level would struggle to turn down that kind of money. I think he'll be a little out of his depth at Premier League level, but pace makes an impact at any level. And I think next season, presumably at a club at or near the top of the Championship will be good for him, and I think with some work on the technical aspects of his game he can probably do alright with that. And for Hudds, this is a 3-4-5 year investment, so even if he doesn't set the world alight this year or even next year it's a very small amount of money for them right now.

I'm deeply concerned with what it means for us this season. But I remember in August when the transfer window shut I thought we were in trouble, but Gallen and Bowyer kept plugging away and built a really good squad. I remain hopeful, it's just that time is not on our side.

He could surprise us and do very well for Huddersfield in the Championship. Danny Haynes made a far bigger impact at that level for us than BWP ever did. It was his pace that made the difference, even though BWP was the more natural goalscorer.
  • Options
    End of any promotion hopes, the ambition bit is pretty spot on... we certainly don't have any !
  • Options
    I guess he may get on the bench and get a few minutes in the premiership. If he does, fair play to him.
  • Options
    Not that bothered he has gone.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

I'll not be bothered if we bring someone in.

If we don't, then we're hoping Fosu learns 'striker' pretty damn quickly
  • Options
    Um no. Neither Billy Clarke or Fosu are pacey strikers. Both need a change to the formation to give a decent goal threat and if either scores more than 5 goals in the rest of the season, well I still have my eye on an edible hat.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Still can't get over selling half our very successful strike partnership whilst pushing for automatic promotion. Should have doubled his wages with a new contract with the promise he could move in the summer and we get a fee. Pennywise pound foolish old cnut.

We probably did. I heard we offered our maximum wage for L1 of £6K pw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Roland had wanted he could have turned down any offer and let Grant walk in the summer for whatever fee would be decided. But he couldn’t resist. And in doing so he could have ruined our chance of promotion. All for 1.5m. Blokes a grade A c....
  • Options

If Roland had wanted he could have turned down any offer and let Grant walk in the summer for whatever fee would be decided. But he couldn’t resist. And in doing so he could have ruined our chance of promotion. All for 1.5m. Blokes a grade A c....

With Grant was promotion 100% sure- No
    Without Grant is promotion 100% over-No

The only thing that was 100% was Grant was leaving for free in the summer I think any business man would take the £1.5M now so I dont blame him for that.

What I do blame him for is not getting a contract tied up sooner and waiting till he had 6 months left to say actually u are a decent player and we now want to give u a conttact, it should have been done in the summer and thats what he gets blamed for.

Come 11pm there may be more blame at his door if a replacement isnt signed but will leave that till window is closed and we know one way or another
  • Options
    edited January 2019

With Grant was promotion 100% sure- No
    Without Grant is promotion 100% over-No

The only thing that was 100% was Grant was leaving for free in the summer I think any business man would take the £1.5M now so I dont blame him for that.

What I do blame him for is not getting a contract tied up sooner and waiting till he had 6 months left to say actually u are a decent player and we now want to give u a conttact, it should have been done in the summer and thats what he gets blamed for.

Come 11pm there may be more blame at his door if a replacement isnt signed but will leave that till window is closed and we know one way or another
    Grant was not 100% leaving for free. The rules do not allow it if he stayed in England.
  • Options

This assumed Grant had no say in the move, which I imagine he did.
  • Options

Genuinely all the best to him but it's too early in his career. He's nowhere near a prem standard player and this move could have a real detrimental effect on his development.
    A new manager comes in to Huddersfield, looks at who's knocking goals in in the lower leagues, and buys him on the back of that.
    He'll get a chance early on, they'll see he's not good enough, and he will then fade away into obscurity.
    Big mistake Karlan and it's not sour grapes.

But is becoming a millionaire a big mistake ?
    I wish I'd had the opportunity to make such a big mistake.
    Let's face it the move was more about money than football.
    Would he have moved to Huddersfield if there was no wage rise ?
    100%
  • Options

Anyone thinking it’s a leap for Grant to the PL then just two years ago David Brooks was playing on loan for Halifax in the National League. A meteoric rise. No reason Karlan can’t do the same.

Did you miss the bit where he joined Huddersfield ?
  • Options
    I wish Grant well, but think he's moved too early.

I get the drive for more money, but football ain't an ordinary job. The stand out thing Grant has had going for him is momentum, which has built nicely this season, playing in a decent footballing team alongside Taylor has helped no end. Now he has to start again in a struggling side at a much higher level. That is assuming that Grant gets to start, which is doubtful and that could really knock his seemingly fragile confidence. Yeah good for his bank balance, not so sure about his career.
  • Options

I get the drive for more money, but football ain't an ordinary job. The stand out thing Grant has had going for him is momentum, which has built nicely this season, playing in a decent footballing team alongside Taylor has helped no end. Now he has to start again in a struggling side at a much higher level. That is assuming that Grant gets to start, which is doubtful and that could really knock his seemingly fragile confidence. Yeah good for his bank balance, not so sure about his career.

Plenty of people said the same thing about Pope, that worked out pretty well for him.

You can't blame the bloke, he might never get this chance again, it's not like CAFC as a club has treated him very well either.
  • Options

Oh well, it’s done. Let’s move on then. Next couple of days will be interesting

A £ for every time I have heard that over the last 61 years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

1StevieG said:

I have got so used to seeing anyone half decent get sold on for next to nowt I am numbed to it. Good luck to him I hope he does well but I don’t think he is a natural goalscorer.
  • Options

Plenty of people said the same thing about Pope, that worked out pretty well for him.

You can't blame the bloke, he might never get this chance again, it's not like CAFC as a club has treated him very well either.
    it gave him a chance to play football and get paid for it and it stuck by him when it looked like he couldn’t hit the barn, let alone the barn door
  • Options

it gave him a chance to play football and get paid for it and it stuck by him when it looked like he couldn’t hit the barn, let alone the barn door
    They honoured a contract, that's literally the bare minimum a club can do.
  • Options

Would he really be on £20k a week.

Oh, I just googled it and apparently the average championship wage is currently around £25k a week. So I guess so.

I recall when a young Kevin Davies (used to drink with) moved around as a late teen. He went from Chesterfield youth team into first team at 18. A fantastic cup hat-trick against Bolton in his first season earned him a move to Southampton for £800k and an increase in wages from £750-£2000 pw. A year at Southampton earned another move to Blackburn for £7.5m and £13k pw. All that at 20-21 years old and this was 20+ years ago. He never really got talked about as a top player but was solid and committed. The thing is if Karlan applies himself he just might make it through the next 10 years as a fringe player. Who cares if he is on some kids bedroom wall. Isn't it just a job after all and a very well paid one for the few.
  • Options

if Roland had not accepted an offer he would not have had any say in the move. May have been unhappy, may have thrown his toys out the pram, may have handed in a transfer request even but has no say until such time as an offer is accepted.
  • Options

if Roland had not accepted an offer he would not have had any say in the move. May have been unhappy, may have thrown his toys out the pram, may have handed in a transfer request even but has no say until such time as an offer is accepted.
    That's quite how modern football works though, is it?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Leuth said:

1StevieG said:

I have got so used to seeing anyone half decent get sold on for next to nowt I am numbed to it. Good luck to him I hope he does well but I don’t think he is a natural goalscorer.
    Strangely very fast players like Grant other than the young Michael Owen aren't good finishers. Walcott and Townsend score great goals but miss a myriad of tap ins.
    But Karlan did have 14 goals in the third tier which means we will miss him big time when as expected his replacement has had no game time this season or has a sticker on his windscreen for a prime parking space.
  • Options

There are of course plenty of examples of players not making it. Poyet who currently plays for Pafos in the back of beyond the obvious example. I just wished that younger players of middling quality gave themselves time to cement what they've learnt and a chance to build their knowledge, craft and confidence. It could pay dividends in the long run. When Joshua turned pro he wasn't pitched against the best for the sake of a one off pay day. He was managed in a way that would maximise his career, give him some longevity and the rewards that go with it of course.

Unfortunately, Premiership clubs will take a punt on anyone who may have shown a spark, even if it is only over 8 / 10 games. They do it because they can, and they are assisted by greedy agents who are only to keen to accept the bounty money.