Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Real shame, just finding his feet.
  • Good luck Karlan you and your goals, assists and raw pace will be missed. Hope to be playing you next year when I for one will welcome you back to The Valley
  • Awe NO!!!!

Didn't see that coming...
  • PWR

bad move for him imo. He had a good 4 months last season in League 2 & a good 6 months this season. £1.5m is a snip for a Premiership team but he wont keep them up & wont score much next season either in the Championship. He would have been better off staying with us & seeing what happens in the summer. Yes, he could have got injured falling over the cat in June & not been able to find a club, but he's 21 ffs !! hardly be on the scrapheap.

This is purely down to money & not footballing reasons. He may get the chance to play against Man U & Liverpool, but he could have signed for Millwall & played then in the Cup (seeing as they usually play Prem teams). 12 months time he'll be loaned out to a League 1 club anyway.

Yep - certainly getting a boo from me when we next come up against him. another Spotty Parker & Defoe.

ABBA song anyone ??

*sigh*
  • Karlan Grant
    - 30 January 2018 joins Crawley in League 2
    - 30 January 2019 joins Huddersfield in the Premier League
  • Leuth said:

The thought of Grant in the same breath as Parker or Defoe is kind of staggering. He's a Jenkinson at the absolute most

Is that the same category as World Cup goalkeeper Nick Pope and Premier League stalwart & captain Simon Francis?
    Can't see Grant having a career as good as either of those. Just not technically good enough. Prove me wrong Karlan!
  • Sponsored links:

• The primary driver in this was his contract position, not I suspect his ability.

He’s worth (in Huddersfield’s eyes) taking a punt at 1.5m. It will be staggered over years, and if he flops they’ll be confident at his age of offloading at Champ level for min 400k 12months on if they wanted out. So any loss in failure will be very little, but the upside potential is huge.

Really not sure how much Huddersfield would have scouted him and doubt their current 1st team manager / coach would have seen him play.

Would that be first team coach Andy Hughes at Charlton from 2011-2014? May have known Karlan.
  • The future.

Fleetwood 0 Charlton 0
    Charlton 0 Southend 0

An that's being an optimist !
  • PWR

bad move for him imo. He had a good 4 months last season in League 2 & a good 6 months this season. £1.5m is a snip for a Premiership team but he wont keep them up & wont score much next season either in the Championship. He would have been better off staying with us & seeing what happens in the summer. Yes, he could have got injured falling over the cat in June & not been able to find a club, but he's 21 ffs !! hardly be on the scrapheap.

This is purely down to money & not footballing reasons. He may get the chance to play against Man U & Liverpool, but he could have signed for Millwall & played then in the Cup (seeing as they usually play Prem teams). 12 months time he'll be loaned out to a League 1 club anyway.

Yep - certainly getting a boo from me when we next come up against him. another Spotty Parker & Defoe.

ABBA song anyone ??

You forgot to remind us that you said he wouldn't be sold.
    I knew he was gone as soon as you said that :smile:
  • The primary driver in this was his contract position, not I suspect his ability.

He’s worth (in Huddersfield’s eyes) taking a punt at 1.5m. It will be staggered over years, and if he flops they’ll be confident at his age of offloading at Champ level for min 400k 12months on if they wanted out. So any loss in failure will be very little, but the upside potential is huge.

Really not sure how much Huddersfield would have scouted him and doubt their current 1st team manager / coach would have seen him play.

Agree with all of this. The answer to the last question is “not much”. They call him “a natural goal scorer”. Nah. Speed merchant yes, natural goal scorer. Nope.
  • Struggling to get annoyed by this move tbh no matter how much I'd like to get into a rage. Probably being unfair given his age but I think we'd all have been happy enough to receive a fee for him back in August.

Now, if we don't get some more options in up front as a result...
  • edited January 2019
    Lets be honest , if you'd said to me in the summer Karlan would have had 14 goals by January, i'd have said , what on earth are you smoking mate?

I'd have been happy with 14 goals for the whole season from him last summer.

How good would we be, if we could keep the premiership stars of tomorrow?
  • Struggling to get annoyed by this move tbh no matter how much I'd like to get into a rage. Probably being unfair given his age but I think we'd all have been happy enough to receive a fee for him back in August.

Now, if we don't get some more options in up front as a result...

If you had said in July we will keep Fosu and get a 7 figure fee for Grant in January we would of been ecstatic.
  • I don't agree that he was treated badly until this season. Maybe before 17-18, but I thought Robinson handled him very well, made it clear that he thought KAG was still very much a prospect, was nearly always one of the 14 who played, if not a starter. The Crawley loan was to aid his development (like Pope's all were), not "there's no place here for you" (which Umerah's surely is, and Hanlan's were in the end). Arguably the main mistake was not getting him out on loan more, though you wonder what happened at Cambridge (where Pope did very well). I'd also argue that Reeco needs a loan out and a chance to play regularly...

Main gripe is, as ever, timing. Two days to get replacements, and our (or most teams') panic buys are rarely successful.

I'm not sure KG is technically good enough for the Prem, and sheer pace is not enough. But I wish him well

Random thought: if Hudds really wanted to give it a go they should have bought Taylor - he'd cause a lot of Prem defenders a lot of discomfort, in a Glenn Murray way.
  • FFS 15 years ago I moved jobs for a 5% salary increase. If somebody offered me double or treble when I was 6 months from unemployment id have offered to wipe their arse.

NB Arse wiping was one of the tasks in previous employment 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• At premier league level I am not sure Karlan is particularly fast either TBH.

I do see him being difficult to read at that level, something that raw young players generally have coached out of them.
  • PWR

ABBA song anyone ??

Take a chance on me?

• One KAG heard they were unbeaten since 2008, his head had been turned.
  • You would think contracts would include an automatic extension based on performance wouldn't you?
  • PWR

ABBA song anyone ??

I think his bank balance suggests it is not a bad move for him.
  • razil said:

You would think contracts would include an automatic extension based on performance wouldn't you?

Why would Grant sign one in say November though? His agent wouldn't be doing his job, not that I agree with his job.

Say a key first team striker would command 6k a week. Would you have offered that in August? In September? the time from Grant being able to command a first team regular contract until the start of January was very small.
  • Karlan Grant's League One stats for this season

Started 25 games and played 2,385 minutes
    Came on as sub in 3 games and played 145 minutes
    He had 64 shots at goal and scored 14 goals
    Of the 64 shots, 29 on target, 15 blocked, 19 off target and 1 hit the post
    His goals scoring was most prolific at the beginning and end of games, with 7 goals in the 1st 30 minutes and 5 goals in the final 15 plus added time.
    He scored 3 penalties and "missed" one
    He committed 22 fouls and received 2 yellow cards
    His average mark was 6.59 which put him 12th of those who have played at least 5 games
    He was man of the match against Plymouth H, Barnsley H and Rochdale A

Does the stats also show how many shots were right foot or left foot etc, He has real pace but you can read which way he wants to go each time as looks very un-comfortable on his left foot and opposing clubs will work on this.
  • Be surprised if he makes it in the Premier his first touch is nowhere good enough and his pace is nothing exceptional at the level. He has the right to take the chance certainly the money is a motivator and I don’t blame him for that. IMHO it would have been nice to have kept him until the end of the season but c’est la vie it happens to us most January’s
  • edited January 2019

I don't agree that he was treated badly until this season. Maybe before 17-18, but I thought Robinson handled him very well, made it clear that he thought KAG was still very much a prospect, was nearly always one of the 14 who played, if not a starter. The Crawley loan was to aid his development (like Pope's all were), not "there's no place here for you" (which Umerah's surely is, and Hanlan's were in the end). Arguably the main mistake was not getting him out on loan more, though you wonder what happened at Cambridge (where Pope did very well). I'd also argue that Reeco needs a loan out and a chance to play regularly...

Main gripe is, as ever, timing. Two days to get replacements, and our (or most teams') panic buys are rarely successful.

I'm not sure KG is technically good enough for the Prem, and sheer pace is not enough. But I wish him well

Random thought: if Hudds really wanted to give it a go they should have bought Taylor - he'd cause a lot of Prem defenders a lot of discomfort, in a Glenn Murray way.

I agree Lyle's got the attributes to worry top flight defenders but his playing
    style would make him even more of a card magnet than he is at our level . It's probably a big reason why he hasn't been tapped up yet.
  • Again, think this is a stupid move for him career wise. Good possibility we end up in the same league next year (knock on wood). If we announce Oztumer today I will be less annoyed