Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Options
    yeah so that's that done.

the big question is what are we going to do about it?

will Bowyer and Gallen get any of that money to find someone else? is there even someone else? or are we forced to find a player doing nothing at a higher club that we could have for the rest of the season and hope that he somehow comes good? interesting to see what happens in these next two days.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    SDAddick said:

Obviously he's not perfect, but letting Nicky Ajose go looks a very strange decision right now.

Well that depends who we get in as replacements doesn’t it ?

• Options
    I guess going by Huddersfield's formation last night he'll be challenging for the wide positions as part of that 4-3-3 - Wasnt that how he played whilst @ Crawley and for our Youth team along with Sho-Silva and Umerah so shouldnt be too foreign to him

Dont know much about either Kachunga or Diakhaby yet seeing neither have scored this season; Grant might get an opportunity sooner than many might think

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Huddersfield+Town&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-gbGB781GB781&oq=Huddersfield+Town&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j69i60j69i61l2j0.3015j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active#sie=m;/g/11ghv9vxxm;2;/m/02_tc;ln;fp;1;;
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Premier League? Not for long methinks. Anyway, good luck to the boy, I'm sure our paths will cross again.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Someone at Charlton deserves a lot of praise for transforming a fast young striker with no confidence, no finishing skills and little footballing sense into a Premiership player worth 1.5 million quid.

I give it an hour before Robinson is out there somewhere taking credit.

I think you've got to give some of the credit to Harry Kewell at Crawley last year.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Good luck to him,but I just felt he owed us something for the way the club supported him over the Ibiza incident.,but their again loyalty is a thing of the past.Please can we not lay all of this at Rolands door,we are a third division club and no club(Except Sunderland) could have afforded to turn this down.

Sunderland lost Maja in the window, as a 3rd division club it's virtually impossible to keep hold of players in these situations.

I hope Karlan does well, but to be he's been bang average for most of the time I've seen him. Yes he was young, but Gomez and Lookman were young, and they stood out. Before this season Karlan had scored TWO league goals for us, is this season the "real" Karlan, or is it a "Nicky Ajose one off season" like the one he had at Swindon?
    Even though the amount we got from Liverpool was very low for such a gifted young player in Gomez, the amount for Lookman was higher even though still looks low compared to his next transfer(Inter Milan ?)

Grant fee is very low for a forward going to the Premier for 1.5 million, which reflects that Grant isn't in the same bracket as Gomez and Lookman were, at this point in his career.
    Grants pace is his main asset, plus he is stronger this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to Karlan, and thank you for what you've achieved at Charlton, if you keep improving at that rate, you'll be in the England setup.

or....

Lets hope he's got a banking app on his phone so he can look at his bank balance whilst he's stuck on the bench.

Would have preferred him to go to a Brighton or Bournemouth, at least they've got a nice beach!

Great move for Roland , more change he can put down the back of his sofa, maybe he can buy a new pair of shoes.

Would love to know what the sell on clauses are.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Still a Merchant Banker in IMHO🙀

Hope Huddersfield do a Sunderland and we make the Prem in two seasons!

Me, Bitter, Nargh😸
  • Options
    Would have loved you to stay but completely understand. Young guy, chance to play in the Premier league (maybe only for a short while). More money and career chance. It's a short career in football so you gotta take risks occasionally. Works for some and not others. It's a different perspective from a fan's point of view - but to you it's a job. Good luck Karlan.
  • Options
    So who is next: Joe Aribo in the summer?

After him you'd have to question where Roland will keep getting this yearly profit from as our Academy has slowed of late in terms of bringing through top notch prospects (we've got some diamonds who need polishing for a while yet)

i.e. Does he sell Lyle Taylor or does he hope that George Lapslie | Albie Morgan | Dillon Phillips are ready to be flogged on for a £1m+ (something I dont see happening for a while yet) - Another reason why the twat needs to just sell up for a reduced price because finding a Gomez or Lookman every year aint going to happen
  • Options

Good luck to Karlan, and thank you for what you've achieved at Charlton, if you keep improving at that rate, you'll be in the England setup.

or....

Lets hope he's got a banking app on his phone so he can look at his bank balance whilst he's stuck on the bench.

Would have preferred him to go to a Brighton or Bournemouth, at least they've got a nice beach!

Great move for Roland , more change he can put down the back of his sofa, maybe he can buy a new pair of shoes.

Would love to know what the sell on clauses are.

Would have had a great Strike partner in Glenn Murray for a few more years

Wonder if its what Karlan is hoping; i.e. to get some game time with Huddersfield, continue where he left off with Charlton and then when they get relegated, get picked up by another Premier League side
  • Options
    addick05 said:

se9addick said:
    Premier League? Not for long methinks. Anyway, good luck to the boy, I'm sure our paths will cross again.
    Regardless he will be playing in the premier league and will always be able to say "I was a premier league player"
  • Options

Didn't owe us anything after the way he was treated prior to this season. Hope he proves me wrong and does well.

Edited for clarity: Treated by the regime and ex-managers. Not by the academy staff who Karlan does owe gratitude to.

don't understand that comment, up until this season he was never good enough

we move on, pretty sure he'll be out on loan somewhere within 18 months max - but he's got himself a whacking pay rise which in reality none of us would turn down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck, Karlan. Hope you go well for Huddersfield except against us.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

se9addick said:
    In 2019/20, Championship football is his worst case scenario with Huddersfield. It is the best case scenario with Charlton.

He’s also got a massive pay rise. Who wouldn’t wanna live in Huddersfield for five figures per week?
  • Options
    Last year it would have been doom and gloom but this year I have a feeling someone will come in. the right someone at that.
  • Options

Good luck to him,but I just felt he owed us something for the way the club supported him over the Ibiza incident.,but their again loyalty is a thing of the past.Please can we not lay all of this at Rolands door,we are a third division club and no club(Except Sunderland) could have afforded to turn this down.

Sunderland lost Maja in the window, as a 3rd division club it's virtually impossible to keep hold of players in these situations.

I hope Karlan does well, but to be he's been bang average for most of the time I've seen him. Yes he was young, but Gomez and Lookman were young, and they stood out. Before this season Karlan had scored TWO league goals for us, is this season the "real" Karlan, or is it a "Nicky Ajose one off season" like the one he had at Swindon?
    Even though the amount we got from Liverpool was very low for such a gifted young player in Gomez, the amount for Lookman was higher even though still looks low compared to his next transfer(Inter Milan ?)

Grant fee is very low for a forward going to the Premier for 1.5 million, which reflects that Grant isn't in the same bracket as Gomez and Lookman were, at this point in his career.
    I think it's more to do with only having 6 months left on his contract.
    And being nowhere near as good as Gomez or Lookman, who both stood out with their touch and control
  • Options
    Good luck Karlan, despite what others may say I think you will be missed.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Good luck to him, I'm pissed off again we are one way traffic when it comes to good players and transfers in January but not in the least bit surprised. The Huddersfield centre forward has not been able to hit a cows arse with a banjo this season, Mounier. Grant, from what I've seen of him has pace as his main asset and now should have a lot of confidence which is invaluable when playing under the cosh which is what Huddersfield have done all season.

I can't really blame shitarse for this one but if nobody is brought in to replace him as is always the case with January, or any transfer for us then it further proves what a wanker we have for a chairman.

spot on. and i think we will be blaming Duchetlet by friday. it's already partly his fault when it comes to the contracts that he has offered to these players which makes it an easier decision for them to go and harder for Bowyer to persuade they to stay. also his fault that we dont have any other forward apart from Taylor that we can rely on. just hoping that another youngster can make the grade. took Grant 4 years though.

back to Grant, I'll be surprised if he does just sit on the bench for the rest of the season. you dont buy someone in January unless you mean to play him in that season. i've seen Huddersfield play a couple of times and their forwards are shocking. the fans would want him to come in to the team. even if it is to just add some pace to their stale attack.
  • Options

I think it's more to do with only having 6 months left on his contract.
    And being nowhere near as good as Gomez or Lookman, who both stood out with their touch and control
    If he had two years left on his contract instead of six months, he would’ve gone for 5-6m rather than 1.5m. Teams would have had to pay the premium for a young English goalscorer, as Everton did with Lookman before him.
  • Options
    Bad move for us and him . If he’d have waited till the end of the season after he’s probably scored 25 goals he could have gone to a big Championship club . As it stands he’ll be at an average championship club next season in Huddersfield.
  • Options
    You can't compare Grant with Gomez or Lookman. Certainly not on ability nor on value

I'd rather he stayed but if you don't the players down to contracts they will leave for peanuts. 14 league goals from one player will be missed as will his speed, as tempting as it is to say he was shit and we won't miss him, we will. 100% he won't get replaced and Bowyer will have to mend and make do whilst trying to get the club promoted to a division it doesn't deserve to be in
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Last year it would have been doom and gloom but this year I have a feeling someone will come in. the right someone at that.

It’s not just about skill levels though is it. Strikers form partnerships and have a chemistry with each other just like Grant and Taylor had. It could take a while for any new player to gel with Taylor instead of hitting the ground running.