Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Actually right now no I don’t wish him ‘luck’ it’s a bad move for him and charlton: a bit like poyet. The fact is he was doing well BECAUSE he was at CHARLTON not because he was another Lookman What a terrible decision for him; I have half a mind that Bowyer doesn’t mind because he has a better replacement. I bloody hope so. I am always sad and disappointed when something like this happens as you know it would have worked for everybody with him in the side AND still he could have left in June. Pissed off and really hope we have a replacement.
  • Actually right now no I don’t wish him ‘luck’ it’s a bad move for him and charlton: a bit like poyet. The fact is he was doing well BECAUSE he was at CHARLTON not because he was another Lookman What a terrible decision for him; I have half a mind that Bowyer doesn’t mind because he has a better replacement. I bloody hope so. I am always sad and disappointed when something like this happens as you know it would have worked for everybody with him in the side AND still he could have left in June. Pissed off and really hope we have a replacement.

And what if he does his ACL next month, no club would take him when injured, then by the time he returns who knows where he will end up.

There is no way if you were offered 3 or 4 times your money would u not move companies
  • He's gone, oh I, oh I'd Better learn how to face it, He's gone, oh I, oh I'd pay the devil to replace him, he's gone, what went wrong
  • edited January 2019
    I don’t massively rate him and think he will struggle to make an impact but I said that about the fella at Bournemouth and never in a million years thought Pope would be as good as he is. Time will tell, he has the natural attributes of pace and power and has some skill but just does not strike me as a natural goal scorer.

I am unlikely to follow his career with the same interest I have others whom have left. I think we spent 9 years training him up, gave him early opportunities to impress which most players can only dream off and played him at the start of the season when his court case was hanging over him - he has not shown much loyalty. That said, frankly if his wage increase is as described on here that is exceptionally difficult for someone to turn down so I get his reasons

Hope we get in someone decent to replace
  • Scoham said:
    Playing in the pl your having a laugh wouldn’t even start in a top 10 championship side if that.£££££££££
  • Won't even start in the Championship.

Decent wage though I guess.
  • yeah so that's that done.

the big question is what are we going to do about it?

will Bowyer and Gallen get any of that money to find someone else? is there even someone else? or are we forced to find a player doing nothing at a higher club that we could have for the rest of the season and hope that he somehow comes good? interesting to see what happens in these next two days.

I don’t want to piss on people’s bonfires but this is Roland we are talking about. I don’t think we’ll be getting anyone in, we already have 4 strikers.

Roland doesn’t understand the need for competitive players at depth to achieve success because he doesn’t understand what success would look like. In fact it would seem he actively sets out to ensure that success in traditional football terms (ie winning games, getting promoted) is not achieved.

Two seasons in a row we have sold our top scorer and the season before that we sold Lookman - all in the January window, when our stated aim was promotion.

Roland thinks any player can pretty much play anywhere and I don’t think he understands the team dynamic, the need to blend players together to form an effective team (football is a team game right?). In Roland’s eyes, we sell Grant and play Vetokele. Doesn’t matter whether Vetokele can play with Taylor because he doesn’t care whether he can or can’t. Igor’s ability to play with Taylor, score and assist his strike partner, doesn’t matter to Roland because as long as we fulfil our fixtures, he is not interest in playing success.

Plenty of people on here seem to think that because we now have a good manager ( which by the way was just luck as Roland was only interested in a cheap solution to the lack of manager) and we are seeing success on the field that Roland has changed, that now he gets it, and he is going to give Bowyer some cash. I don’t think this is going to happen.

The window closes tomorrow and thanks to Roland and his idiotic attitude our plans are in disarray and we are left having to play two untried or unfit strikers on Saturday. All this when - amazingly - automatic promotion is within reach for the first time since we got relegated.
  • My son thinks Karlans a snake, wonder how much he is in the sun dream team?
  • Watch him start Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah so that's that done.

the big question is what are we going to do about it?

will Bowyer and Gallen get any of that money to find someone else? is there even someone else? or are we forced to find a player doing nothing at a higher club that we could have for the rest of the season and hope that he somehow comes good? interesting to see what happens in these next two days.

I don’t want to piss on people’s bonfires but this is Roland we are talking about. I don’t think we’ll be getting anyone in, we already have 4 strikers.

Roland doesn’t understand the need for competitive players at depth to achieve success because he doesn’t understand what success would look like. In fact it would seem he actively sets out to ensure that success in traditional football terms (ie winning games, getting promoted) is not achieved.

Two seasons in a row we have sold our top scorer and the season before that we sold Lookman - all in the January window, when our stated aim was promotion.

Roland thinks any player can pretty much play anywhere and I don’t think he understands the team dynamic, the need to blend players together to form an effective team (football is a team game right?). In Roland’s eyes, we sell Grant and play Vetokele. Doesn’t matter whether Vetokele can play with Taylor because he doesn’t care whether he can or can’t. Igor’s ability to play with Taylor, score and assist his strike partner, doesn’t matter to Roland because as long as we fulfil our fixtures, he is not interest in playing success.

Plenty of people on here seem to think that because we now have a good manager ( which by the way was just luck as Roland was only interested in a cheap solution to the lack of manager) and we are seeing success on the field that Roland has changed, that now he gets it, and he is going to give Bowyer some cash. I don’t think this is going to happen.

The window closes tomorrow and thanks to Roland and his idiotic attitude our plans are in disarray and we are left having to play two untried or unfit strikers on Saturday. All this when - amazingly - automatic promotion is within reach for the first time since we got relegated.
    He has to keep Bowyer on side though, at least to some extent, and I don’t see the latter would swallow that situation, publicly or privately.
  • My son thinks Karlans a snake, wonder how much he is in the sun dream team?

Tried to get him in my team. Not even on the game yet!
  • Genuinely all the best to him but it's too early in his career. He's nowhere near a prem standard player and this move could have a real detrimental effect on his development.
    A new manager comes in to Huddersfield, looks at who's knocking goals in in the lower leagues, and buys him on the back of that.
    He'll get a chance early on, they'll see he's not good enough, and he will then fade away into obscurity.
    Big mistake Karlan and it's not sour grapes.
  • edited January 2019

Genuinely all the best to him but it's too early in his career. He's nowhere near a prem standard player and this move could have a real detrimental effect on his development.
    A new manager comes in to Huddersfield, looks at who's knocking goals in in the lower leagues, and buys him on the back of that.
    He'll get a chance early on, they'll see he's not good enough, and he will then fade away into obscurity.

But is becoming a millionaire a big mistake ?
    I wish I'd had the opportunity to make such a big mistake.
    Let's face it the move was more about money than football.
    Would he have moved to Huddersfield if there was no wage rise ?
  • Never liked KAG , was always a Billy Bigbollocks . Taylor has carried him for most of the season and I'm sure we'll get someone in just as good .

Joke??

If serious I think you need to look at yourself
  • Never liked KAG , was always a Billy Bigbollocks . Taylor has carried him for most of the season and I'm sure we'll get someone in just as good .

Wind up?
  • edited January 2019

Genuinely all the best to him but it's too early in his career. He's nowhere near a prem standard player and this move could have a real detrimental effect on his development.

But is becoming a millionaire a big mistake ?
    I wish I'd had the opportunity to make such a big mistake.
    Let's face it the move was more about money than football.
    Would he have moved to Huddersfield if there was no wage rise ?
    I would say yes, he would have.

Only my opinion of course - but I would expect a 21 year old Third Division player to be really excited to move to a Prem club. Okay, Hudds are certain to be relegated but in a struggling side, Grant knows if he works hard he'll eventually get a chance to play at least some part during a Prem game this season.

It's the stuff that dreams are made of. And his overflowing bank balance, of course!
  • Massive step for him and to be honest this time last year he was loaned to Crawley as he was not good enough for league 1 . So after a few decent matches and being lucky that he was played in a 442 with a perfect partner , he gets a move to the premier league , think it's a strange move for all concerned to tbh ill be very interested to see where he is this time next year. Loaned to Oxford ( or wherever Robinson has gone by that point )would be my best guess.
  • Wish Roland would hurry up and die in an autoerotic asphyxiation instance gone wrong
  • Sponsored links:

• What money would Karlan Grant be on at Huddersfield, compared with current wages
  • What money would Karlan Grant be on at Huddersfield, compared with current wages

I doubt he is on less than 20k and rumours are we offered 6k
  • Would he really be on £20k a week.

Oh, I just googled it and apparently the average championship wage is currently around £25k a week. So I guess so.
  • Grant will be looking at the Chelsea defence tonight and rubbing his hands
  • Is it always a good move if it’s for money only ? There are players that have left for the premier league from here when they would have been better staying at the club for another season. People are really only encouraging him to go for the dough and Not to further his Career. I for one am not convinced he is furthering his career...we shall see.
  • Scoham said:
    I hope nobody tells him they’ve signed a striker from L1....
  • Yeah I think it's all been said really. Some really nice tributes to him on Instagram. Lyle Taylor's in particular was really, really sweet.

I think it's a good move for him. And I think any club at our level would struggle to turn down that kind of money. I think he'll be a little out of his depth at Premier League level, but pace makes an impact at any level. And I think next season, presumably at a club at or near the top of the Championship will be good for him, and I think with some work on the technical aspects of his game he can probably do alright with that. And for Hudds, this is a 3-4-5 year investment, so even if he doesn't set the world alight this year or even next year it's a very small amount of money for them right now.

I'm deeply concerned with what it means for us this season. But I remember in August when the transfer window shut I thought we were in trouble, but Gallen and Bowyer kept plugging away and built a really good squad. I remain hopeful, it's just that time is not on our side.
  • SDAddick said:

Obviously he's not perfect, but letting Nicky Ajose go looks a very strange decision right now.

He's not that good and doesn't fit the way Bowyer wants to play. Best bit of business of the window so far.
    I had a count in my head earlier about Ajose's return when playing up front with Taylor. I feel like it was something like 2 goals and 4 assists over 4-5 games. Could be wrong on that. But it was a better return than you would expect.

Again, he's not perfect, but he's better than RHF at this stage in their career (I will say I was impressed by RHF for the first time on Saturday, but that doesn't make him ready), or as will be the case this Saturday, potentially no one.