Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

No need to be ungracious about this. If it wasn't for Roland the deal could be considered in terms of usual football realities.
    Dissing Karlan might assuage personal disappointment, I hope he storms on as a way to demonstrate what a good academy we have, our academy graduates are the only thing we have to be proud of these days, and it happens despite Roland not because of him.

Couldn't have put it better myself Seth. As RD sits accruing more income in one hand he is singlehandedly reducing his asset value in the other.... No doubt he will believe Charlton are worth more now, he's totally deluded ?

I know protests have been very much in the background (absent fans from home games) but hopefully the Belgian20 will get some ideas on where and how to let him know we are still here.

Good luck Karlan, you go with my best wishes. One more lucky so and so not having to be involved in our rudderless ship !
  • Options
    Well that's one I didn't see coming...
  • Options
    3 and a half year deal as well....even with the inevitable relegation clause in his contract he'll still be on 3x (at least) what he was here in the championship.
  • Options
    Well something's not right. Huddersfield got a potential Championship striker for £1.5m. Liverpool got a cornerstone of their and England's defence for over a decade for £3.5m.

Think we know which club could be described as "Dick Turpin but without the mask".

• Options
    Sorry, I have not read all of the comments, but I mentioned a few days ago that when Grant signs for Huddersfield, the media will refer to him as Karlan Grant and everywhere I have read about his signing, Including Sky, I was right. NO I am not ITK
  • Options

I don't agree that he was treated badly until this season. Maybe before 17-18, but I thought Robinson handled him very well, made it clear that he thought KAG was still very much a prospect, was nearly always one of the 14 who played, if not a starter. The Crawley loan was to aid his development (like Pope's all were), not "there's no place here for you" (which Umerah's surely is, and Hanlan's were in the end). Arguably the main mistake was not getting him out on loan more, though you wonder what happened at Cambridge (where Pope did very well). I'd also argue that Reeco needs a loan out and a chance to play regularly...

Main gripe is, as ever, timing. Two days to get replacements, and our (or most teams') panic buys are rarely successful.

I'm not sure KG is technically good enough for the Prem, and sheer pace is not enough. But I wish him well

Random thought: if Hudds really wanted to give it a go they should have bought Taylor - he'd cause a lot of Prem defenders a lot of discomfort, in a Glenn Murray way.

I agree Lyle's got the attributes to worry top flight defenders but his playing
    style would make him even more of a card magnet than he is at our level . It's probably a big reason why he hasn't been tapped up yet.
    Bustling strikers can be successful in the PL, even with the number of cards. Grant Holt, Kevin Davies spring to mind.
  • Options

braydex said:

so who plays up front now?

Can't see him being Grants replacement myself but I'll judge him if he plays for us
  • Options
    Back to what I said before people are being harsh on Grant, he has never come across the loyal type imo, they are a rarity nowdays so he was always going to take a step up if the opportunity presented itself. He may not be good enough for the Prem but it's either stay here under a bonkers owner on a couple of grand a week and watch more of his club mates leave or take a nice weekly wage in the most watched league in the world and take his chance that it could be his level. I don't blame him one bit and it is 100% mismanagement of the player rather than the players fault.

Certainly won't clap him if he comes back to the Valley as he didn't seem to care he was off and potentially derailing our season, but I won't boo him either.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Holt and Vardy were a long way behind Grant when they were 21.

Vardy at 21 was playing for Stockbridge park steels in level 8 of EFL

Holt at 21 was playing for Barrow in Level 6 of EFL.

Grant game is based on running behind defenders so is a similar style to Jamie Vardy. Will he have the career that Vardy has reached ? Extremely unlikely. But the fact is he is buzz lightyears ahead of Vardy was at 21.

Good luck and I for one won't give Grant stick next season when he plays at the Valley.................................................in the FA cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And every pound will go straight to offset Rolands losses. Expect to lose more good players at the end of the season.
  • Options

And every pound will go straight to offset Rolands losses. Expect to lose more good players at the end of the season.

In other news, Thursday will begin at midnight.
  • Options
    Good luck to him.
  • Options

Good luck Karlan.

You really turned it around this season.
    Things could have really turned sour in pre season with so many fans turning against you. Thank you for justifying my desicion to stick up for you against the hate mob on this forum. I’m glad to deflected much of the abuse away from you.

You have it in you to keep Uddersfield up.

Good post apart from your last sentence.
    Messi couldn't keep Huddersfield up this season let alone Grant.
  • Options
    https://www.htafc.com/news/2019/january/karlan-grant-his-career-so-far/

There's a video been put together on this page on the Huddersfield website of KG's goals.

Can't help but think all the HTFC fans will be wetting themselves at the superb, Messi like striker they think they have signed for a few bob!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    True story, I went To buy some match tickets a few years, and bumped into Karlan in the valley car park, wished him all the best as we had an upcoming match against Millwall ( we lost and he was shocking) don’t recall him mentioning Huddersfield?

I reckon he’ll be back playing down south in 2 seasons.
  • Options

Can I get a refund?

Snap! I bought one of them as well.

I reckon we were mis-sold them by the Museum and are due compensation. I think we should bring a class action against those responsible :-)
  • Options
    If we buy a

Can I get a refund?

Can I get a refund?

I reckon we were mis-sold them by the Museum and are due compensation. I think we should bring a class action against those responsible :-)
    Nothing to do with the proper museum. They were sold by Leuth's alternative museum so contact him for any refunds.

Personally, I think they will be worth a fortune is a few years when KG is playing for England and everyone remembers saying "what a great talent, he'll go far" when he was sold.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

https://www.htafc.com/news/2019/january/karlan-grant-his-career-so-far/

There's a video been put together on this page on the Huddersfield website of KG's goals.

Can't help but think all the HTFC fans will be wetting themselves at the superb, Messi like striker they think they have signed for a few bob!

A fantastic video was put together by one of our own a few seasons back of 20 odd goals by Chris Eagles the week before he came on a short deal.

My lasting memory of his short time at Charlton was of him gliding like a bird into the six yard box loosing his marker and a peach of a cross was on his head and - the header ended up in the back row of the lower north.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish him well, I question whether he is a Premier League striker though - not entirely sure he’ll be a prolific Championship striker either.

Would suggest that L1 is his level & anticipate that he’ll be loaned to a L1 side within 2 or 3 years
  • Options

If we buy a

Can I get a refund?

Can I get a refund?

Nothing to do with the proper museum. They were sold by Leuth's alternative museum so contact him for any refunds.

Personally, I think they will be worth a fortune is a few years when KG is playing for England and everyone remembers saying "what a great talent, he'll go far" when he was sold.
    Haha I’m joking definitely want to keep the poster. If even it does make me cry seeing him and Taylor so happy together. What a duo they could have been...
  • Options

If we buy a

Can I get a refund?

Can I get a refund?

Haha I’m joking definitely want to keep the poster. If even it does make me cry seeing him and Taylor so happy together. What a duo they could have been...
    Hang on mate. Don't back down so easily. This Irving guy is on dodgy ground and I reckon there's a good few bob in it for us if we play our cards right.

I'll be round Citizens Advice tomorrow when it opens to see where we stand.

• Options

If we buy a

Can I get a refund?

Can I get a refund?

Hang on mate. Don't back down so easily. This Irving guy is on dodgy ground and I reckon there's a good few bob in it for us if we play our cards right.

Can’t wait for the Museum to be featured on ‘Can’t Pay, we’ll Take Away’

• Options

If we buy a

Can I get a refund?

Can I get a refund?

I reckon we throw empty crisp packets at the museum
  • Options

Have absolutely no issue at all with Grant going. Since his loan to Crawley he has really kicked on as a player, and you can see why he has been attracting the attention of other clubs.

That being said I cannot help but think in the long run this is a bad move for both Grant and for Huddersfield.

Reminds me of Andy Jones transfer from Port Vale to Charlton tryed hard but did not get enough goals for us.

Of course Andy Jones was abit older and had played more football but brought for the same reason as Grant has been for Huddersfield.....
  • Options
    If Lookman can not make an impression in the Premier Leauge, I doubt that Grant will. However, no ill will to the young man, hope he has a fantastic career. But, think his next move is more likely to be Brentford than Barcalona.
  • Options
    Good luck Karlan. Hope you bag a goal or two before the end of the season. We are a bit sore about losing you at such a vital stage of the season but can't blame you for taking this big opportunity. On the other hand our owner and ex CEO need shooting for allowing your contract to run down. Idiots!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I would have kept him for promotion push and let him go free in summer. Surely the championship is worth more than 1.5 mil? Shows the ambition or lack of it for the club