Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Phillips cost us there when he conceded that equaliser if that’s Amos he saves that all day long. Phillips can be as home grown as he likes but he’s proper out of his depth

As Bowyer said in the sky interview after "why is their striker getting a free shot from edge of the box!!??" I don't see my striker having free shots like that"

Basically blaming no one but saying no bugger closed him down!!!!!
  • Is it just me or has Lapslie got a bit of Scott Parker about him?

Wow !

That's just what Mr F said at one point in the first half !
  • So, some are already scapegoating young Phillips. Absolutely ridiculous after five minutes in the game. He might have done better with the first goal but no-one was expecting the shot and he might have seen it late. It was well-struck and scraped inside the post, so not an easy save in any event. He actually got a hand to the powerful header for the second and with a tad more luck it could have won us a point. I thought he had an alright match, all things considered. Give the kid a break please.

Well said!
  • edited August 2018

First half we were by far the better team. That was clear. Sunderland offered nothing, throughout the whole game really, as silly as that sounds! A huge kick in the teeth to loose it like that, and as said previously, we all knew it would happen. It’s a shame the player who scored the winning goal, scored it in the added time he created by nearly breaking our captain’s ankle.
    Where does that leave us as a club. Not one sub till it was forced says it all really. We have nothing left. I think that game sums up what’s ahead. We’ll be good in spells but won’t have enough to win games. We’ve always had form for last minute balls up but this one feels a lot truer.
    It’s gonna be a long long season with no sign of anything changing.
    And what do we do as fans. Roland has stripped every last playing asset we have and still wants £50m! Do we go down sparrows lane and give bottled water to our future? Do we take them a bit of fruit too? Do we build a blokckade at the top of Floyd road and abandon a match? As much as that is detrimental to our great club maybe it needs something that extreme. I know that won’t be supported. But this is the biggest season we have faced in deacdes I feel as a club. We are rationing water and not feeding our own. Roland has ruined EVERYTHING I love about this great club.

We must get rid of him.

Come on Charlton.

You know what, with media coverage, that would be one smart idea.

• Is it just me or has Lapslie got a bit of Scott Parker about him?

Definitely moves a bit like Parker. I said it about a year ago :smile:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/79345/charlton-under-23s-v-liverpool-under-23s/p2
    Scoham said:

Not watching properly and have seen Lapslie before but is it just me that thinks he moves a bit like Scott Parker? Not afraid to put in a tackle either.

• Sponsored links:

• Have a better view of a game from behind the goal and it was so clear that we were making wrong passing decisions especially in the second half.The easy pass went missing and this started to put pressure on us defensively especially as we begun to get tired.On saying that,the team put in a shift we just need a few more experienced players to help calm things down
  • edited August 2018
    On hols and only just remembered it was first game of the season. We lost, no surprise. RD remains a complete nob and I am driving through Belgium in a couple of days. May set my kids on him as it will be about 7 hours into our homeward journey.
  • guess who's scored for Bolton this p.m.

Absolutely no idea as it hasn’t been mentioned.
  • It sounds as though we did our best today. The oomph will soon go out of the players if we lose a few games. I’d call this a crisis.
  • Phillips made one mistake and it cost us a goal. Other than, that I didn’t think he put a foot wrong. The sad thing is, as soon as they equalised, my first thought was that he’d get ruined on here. I guess that says more about the quality of people we that get on here than it says about the quality of Dillon.

Oh do behave.

You are allowed to criticise an error.

Should it have been saved - Yes
    Was it goalie error - yes

Would we criticise a striker missing an easy chance - yes.

Should Dillon be exempt from criticism for his error- no
  • Rob7Lee said:

Did better than I expected nearly holding out for a point.

The game was lost on player availability when we needed fresh legs in the middle we had no options, none at all - can’t fault Bowyer today.

Good effort from the players to no avail. Lapslie May grow but not up to this division, we’re an injury (or a player sale) away from a very very tough season.

Ward, Dawkins & Ince.............should have been signed up this week & in the squad today. If LB isn't allowed to sign them then just say so & stop pissing them about.

I'll keep saying it - LB is an appeaser. If you can't be a manager under these circumstances then say so. Stop dicking about with "it is what it is".
    Even by your standards you are talking complete shit.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
  • edited August 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Phillips made one mistake and it cost us a goal. Other than, that I didn’t think he put a foot wrong. The sad thing is, as soon as they equalised, my first thought was that he’d get ruined on here. I guess that says more about the quality of people we that get on here than it says about the quality of Dillon.

Oh do behave.

You are allowed to criticise an error.

Should it have been saved - Yes
    Was it goalie error - yes

Would we criticise a striker missing an easy chance - yes.

Should Dillon be exempt from criticism for his error- no
    Depends how OTT the criticism is doesn't it?
  • Disappointed with the 2nd half performance but also with Bowyer. Five subs? Where was Blumberg, Mascoll, Umerah and others? And when we were under the cosh, why not fresh legs?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018

So, some are already scapegoating young Phillips. Absolutely ridiculous after five minutes in the game. He might have done better with the first goal but no-one was expecting the shot and he might have seen it late. It was well-struck and scraped inside the post, so not an easy save in any event. He actually got a hand to the powerful header for the second and with a tad more luck it could have won us a point. I thought he had an alright match, all things considered. Give the kid a break please.

Don’t talk rubbish, Phillips has played at least five games and a couple of friendlies-more than enough time to write off a player as not up to it. After all, Nicky Pope and Ben Amos (amongst a million others who got stick after a handful of games) turned out to be a load of shit didn’t they? And i’m sure those on here saying he isn’t good enough have seen every minute of Dillon’s appearances as well as all his youth team games....
  • First half we were by far the better team. That was clear. Sunderland offered nothing, throughout the whole game really, as silly as that sounds! A huge kick in the teeth to loose it like that, and as said previously, we all knew it would happen. It’s a shame the player who scored the winning goal, scored it in the added time he created by nearly breaking our captain’s ankle.
    Where does that leave us as a club. Not one sub till it was forced says it all really. We have nothing left. I think that game sums up what’s ahead. We’ll be good in spells but won’t have enough to win games. We’ve always had form for last minute balls up but this one feels a lot truer.
    And what do we do as fans. Roland has stripped every last playing asset we have and still wants £50m! Do we go down sparrows lane and give bottled water to our future? Do we take them a bit of fruit too? Do we build a blokckade at the top of Floyd road and abandon a match? As much as that is detrimental to our great club maybe it needs something that extreme. I know that won’t be supported. But this is the biggest season we have faced in deacdes I feel as a club. We are rationing water and not feeding our own. Roland has ruined EVERYTHING I love about this great club.

We must get rid of him.

Come on Charlton.

You know what, with media coverage, that would be one smart idea.

@jdsd42 How is this a flaggable comment?
  • First half we were by far the better team. That was clear. Sunderland offered nothing, throughout the whole game really, as silly as that sounds! A huge kick in the teeth to loose it like that, and as said previously, we all knew it would happen. It’s a shame the player who scored the winning goal, scored it in the added time he created by nearly breaking our captain’s ankle.

We must get rid of him.

Come on Charlton.

Can't agree with that. Their manager changed things at half time and second half they dominated the game. We were lucky to still be level as Sinclair somehow put a sitter wide from about 4 yards when it was easier to score.
  • The squad is so under prepared for this season it’s untrue, a takeover must be imminent to let it get this bad?
  • vffvff
    edited August 2018

When did we as a fan base become so shit at nurturing young players? When did we develop this idea that they must always be the finished article as soon as they appear in the first team?

Part of being a good supporter of the team is to encourage and empower the players to perform. Doubly so when it comes to creating a supportive atmosphere that allows young players to play without fear. Too many of our fans are more interested in proving what a good judge of a player they are, though, by calling a young player’s whole career prospects after half a dozen appearances and then highlighting every error that player makes.

Most of you were on here a year ago writing Amos off after the Plymouth game, decrying the incredible injustice of him playing ahead of Phillips. All on the basis of a couple of errors in one match.

You were all wrong about that but a year later you still haven’t learnt and are now writing off Phillips, the very player you all wanted picked ahead of Amos a year ago. You’ll be the same bunch that were climbing all over Nick Pope before that... the same Nick Pope who is now considered one of the top keepers in the whole country.

You all carry on running down our youngsters though, even though the manager has literally no option but to pick them right now. I’m sure the swelling it gives you in your pants is well worth it.

Maybe good to change the ‘you’ to ‘some’ @Exiled_Addick as it appears you are generalising & accusing the majority of Charlton supporter base / whole of CL posters of digging out Amos, Pope, Hamer & now Philips. Not from me & loads others. it feels like being jabbed in the chest & being accused of something by an overly angry person. I do totally agree with your main point of being supportive of young players developing in the team. This season this is going to be more important than ever with the Duchatelet imposed shitfest.
  • If Phillips supported Charlton he’d be given more leeway .