Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

Like, how in the hell is that Sarr's fault? He charges out to try and block the cross but it's not him who switches off and lets Gooch run in behind, it's Aribo

I love Aribo, but he’s not great defensively.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Like, how in the hell is that Sarr's fault? He charges out to try and block the cross but it's not him who switches off and lets Gooch run in behind, it's Aribo

And I thought Page could have done more to get across him, though having gone back and watched it again he's given a really hard task of a player running at him onto a ball into space behind him.

And it was clear that they tried to get out and play the Sunderland players off, but it looked to me that the last player out was Taylor who was knackered. Gooch was well onside, but it was a reminder that Taylor should have been taken off.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Leuth said:

SDAddick said:

And another thing about that 5 subs malarkey. Three guys on the bench (I’m exempting ajose and Sarr) plus the likes of Blumberg and Mascol now know that the management team doesn’t think they are up to it (yet). It’s almost certain that with injuries we will need to play some or all of them at some stage and possibly soon. Nice confidence building handling eh?

Alternatively, if one or more came on and didn't perform, they may have got criticised and it may have dented their confidence.
    But you have Sarr and Ajose who are experienced professionals and have played a lot of games at this level.
    Sarr was on the pitch 5 mins and contributed to them scoring in my humble opinion
    ??!

This is why I defend Naby
    CH mate, stay, organise.

Let someone else deal with the closing down and you sort out your bread and butter.

Biggest player in the side not defending a cross in last 10 secs.

Discipline. Not a CH

Just my opinion though and not slating anyone in this squad, they deserve a fucking medal being there.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Would be gutted to lose Joe Aribo, hope it’s just people making up stuff.
  • Options

Is it me or is there something a bit weird about players walking to the station after a game, especially when it’s soon afterwards so that fans are still around?

There was a coach arranged, but the route was blocked with traffic, and Taylor noticed that the train was leaving in 34 minutes and it was a 22 minute walk.

Proper Charlton
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Did Marshall mention anything about why he wasnt involved against Shrewsbury or expecting to leave in the summer?

No, it was only a brief chat. He'

Rob7Lee said:

Did better than I expected nearly holding out for a point.

The game was lost on player availability when we needed fresh legs in the middle we had no options, none at all - can’t fault Bowyer today.

Good effort from the players to no avail. Lapslie May grow but not up to this division, we’re an injury (or a player sale) away from a very very tough season.

Ward, Dawkins & Ince.............should have been signed up this week & in the squad today. If LB isn't allowed to sign them then just say so & stop pissing them about.

I'll keep saying it - LB is an appeaser. If you can't be a manager under these circumstances then say so. Stop dicking about with "it is what it is".
    You'd rather we had no manager?
    I think Golfie wants Fraeye back or maybe Riga again ?
    Personally, I'm very happy with Lee Bowyer and can't really fault him.
    So you thought it was great tactics to name just 5 subs & then only use 1 of them, and that was only because he had to.

The front 2 were tiring, Pratley (by LB's own admission) wasn't going to start due to not being 100% fit & Lapslie was playing his first ever league game. Does none of that make you think all 3 subs should have been used......and don't give me that old guff about Ajose possibly leaving or RHF being too young. They were on the fecking bench - use them ! LB may have been a great player & imo probably the best youngster I've seen at The Valley in my 40 years (parker a close 2nd) but his management/tactical skills are not worth a jot.

As for the managers you mentioned...............I'd have Riga back in a heartbeat . probably the best manager we've had since Powell.

Is it me or is there something a bit weird about players walking to the station after a game, especially when it’s soon afterwards so that fans are still around?

There was a coach arranged, but the route was blocked with traffic, and Taylor noticed that the train was leaving in 34 minutes and it was a 22 minute walk.
    Brisk 20 mins walk sounds a decent warm-down to be fair

• Options

The Bob Stokoe statue outside the S O L .. a manager wo was a failure for us but a Black Cats legend. He was in charge when they beat Leeds in the '73 cup final .. all so long ago

Can clearly remember his celebratory run down the pitch at the end of the game. A very different era...
  • Options

The Bob Stokoe statue the S O L .. a manager wo was a failure for us but a Black Cats legend. He was in charge when they beat Leeds in the '73 cup final .. all so long ago

Can clearly remember his celebratory run down the pitch at the end of the game. A very different era...
    unlike many 'memorials' the Stokoe statue is a very good likeness of him doing the celebratory run that you mention
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bad times ahead unless a step change at the top.
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice Sunderland have got the same crap shirt sponsors we have? How often does that happen?
  • Options

The Bob Stokoe statue the S O L .. a manager wo was a failure for us but a Black Cats legend. He was in charge when they beat Leeds in the '73 cup final .. all so long ago

unlike many 'memorials' the Stokoe statue is a very good likeness of him doing the celebratory run that you mention
    Agreed and whilst we hovered around in the bottom half of Div2 (Championship) / relegation zone under his watch @Lincsaddick, how we would still love to be in that position now :disappointed: . Good to see you posting again :+1: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Agreed and whilst we hovered around in the bottom half of Div2 (Championship) / relegation zone under his watch @Lincsaddick, how we would still love to be in that position now :disappointed: . Good to see you posting again :+1: .
    cheers Red .. I'm sure we'll catch up at some remote 3rd strata ground ((:>)
  • Options
    Aribo was class above, lapslie had a bit of scott parker about him, taylor tired with 20 to go, needed to put a couple of subs on as stopped threatening. Told we are signing 3 players this week. If they are the right ones we will be strong this year
  • Options

The Bob Stokoe statue outside the S O L .. a manager wo was a failure for us but a Black Cats legend. He was in charge when they beat Leeds in the '73 cup final .. all so long ago

That’s a great statue. Captures the spirit of the day perfectly
  • Options
    Taylor said someone stamped on his foot which slowed him down. Also said he wishes he had Karlan's ‘unbelievable’ pace.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    great weekend up there bar the result, impressive stadium and another one ticked off, thought we had ample opportunity to win it in 1st half but just like last season didn't take our chances i thought Taylor was a breath of fresh air, and can see him getting a few,. the holding up of the forster caskey shirt i thought was a bit embarrassing.
  • Options

With JF-C out, I think Aribo can replace him and be our midfield general, with Pratley doing the defending. It would be totally mad to sell him.

Agree, but Douchebag couldn't give a flying you-know-what about what we think, or for the good of the team. He would have no qualms about selling Aribo tomorrow if the right offer came in.
  • Options
    I might be wrong

Leuth said:

SDAddick said:

And another thing about that 5 subs malarkey. Three guys on the bench (I’m exempting ajose and Sarr) plus the likes of Blumberg and Mascol now know that the management team doesn’t think they are up to it (yet). It’s almost certain that with injuries we will need to play some or all of them at some stage and possibly soon. Nice confidence building handling eh?

Alternatively, if one or more came on and didn't perform, they may have got criticised and it may have dented their confidence.
    But you have Sarr and Ajose who are experienced professionals and have played a lot of games at this level.
    Sarr was on the pitch 5 mins and contributed to them scoring in my humble opinion
    ??!

Their 2nd goal had nothing to do with Sarr, or even the defence in general. More to do with the fact we were under the cosh for the last 20 mins (they missed a sitter just a few mins before) because the front 2 had run out of steam & the midfield had gone missing.....something to do with one of them not having played a full 90 mins(Pratley) & the other (Lapslie) having played his first ever League game & had run himself into the ground. The fact that a couple of pairs of fresh legs, may, just may, have been able to hold the ball up in the corner or have made a decisive tackle rather than fall back & do nothing.

But if you'd rather blame Sarr than our inexperienced manager then crack on.....
    If you'd rather blame Bowyer than RD then crack on :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    uie2 said:

Phillips made one mistake and it cost us a goal. Other than, that I didn’t think he put a foot wrong. The sad thing is, as soon as they equalised, my first thought was that he’d get ruined on here. I guess that says more about the quality of people that get on here than it says about the quality of Dillon.

I dont even think the first goal was his fault! Shot came through legs with bodies in the way but also it wasn't closed down at all!!
    Rather than put all the blame on Phillips, Bowyer made far more of the fact that the player wasn't closed down and was allowed to run with the ball, turn and shoot inside the box.

• Options

SDAddick said:

Rather than blaming Sarr, losing Pearce contributed more to them scoring.
    We lost our organiser at the back.

• Options
    rananegra said:

Did anyone else notice Sunderland have got the same crap shirt sponsors we have? How often does that happen?

Yes, I did. I hadn't realised before, but there was a corner and saw a stripey shirt and a yellow shirt standing next to each other.
    Had to do a double take and pointed it out to my mate watching in the pub.

I'd never seen that before and neither had he.

• Options
    Phillips: should never be beaten at his near post, otherwise decent
    Solly: solid
    Bauer: decent
    Pearce: culpable for first goal, turns like an oil tanker in force 9, soldiered on far too long when clearly unfit
    Page: defensively all at sea, took 5 minutes to get up after every challenge, seemingly made of balsa, getting cramp means he’s not working hard enough on his endurance
    Marshall: set pieces were humiliating, plenty of effort, no result
    Aribo: silky skills early on but overpowered when Sunderland matched up in midfield - our best player by some distance
    Pratley: solid example of how to stick at it when fatigued
    Lapslie: bright spark early on very promising
    Taylor: looks lively loves to nark defenders, partnership with KG looked promising
    Grant: too quick for mackems’ back line early on, living on scraps after they reorganised

LB leaving Sarr on the bench so long when Pearce was so obviously crocked speaks volumes for how he rates Naby. Which is worrying
  • Options

A good statue that, as it captures the essence of the man, rather than just having him standing still in a dull pose.
  • Options

I might be wrong

Leuth said:

SDAddick said:

??!

Their 2nd goal had nothing to do with Sarr, or even the defence in general. More to do with the fact we were under the cosh for the last 20 mins (they missed a sitter just a few mins before) because the front 2 had run out of steam & the midfield had gone missing.....something to do with one of them not having played a full 90 mins(Pratley) & the other (Lapslie) having played his first ever League game & had run himself into the ground. The fact that a couple of pairs of fresh legs, may, just may, have been able to hold the ball up in the corner or have made a decisive tackle rather than fall back & do nothing.

But if you'd rather blame Sarr than our inexperienced manager then crack on.....
    Again you don't read what I post. I have never said that I don't blame RD, of course I do. But he is not in charge of the day-to-day training, the tactics, the players selected or game management. He has left that to LB. If Bowyer thinks he is making a "statement" by only selecting 5 subs & then not using them to change the course of the match / freshen things up / replace tired players then I think I'm allowed an opinion. RD might as well choose me, you or Mr Blobby to "manage" the team if all that requires is to stand on the touchline with your arms folded & not do anything. Their manager changed things at half time & that had a bearing on the result. Anyone watching the game could see that some of our players were tiring & that some fresh legs might have made a difference. It could not have made things worse, could it.
  • Options

I might be wrong

Leuth said:

SDAddick said:

??!

Again you don't read what I post. I have never said that I don't blame RD, of course I do. But he is not in charge of the day-to-day training, the tactics, the players selected or game management. He has left that to LB. If Bowyer thinks he is making a "statement" by only selecting 5 subs & then not using them to change the course of the match / freshen things up / replace tired players then I think I'm allowed an opinion. RD might as well choose me, you or Mr Blobby to "manage" the team if all that requires is to stand on the touchline with your arms folded & not do anything. Their manager changed things at half time & that had a bearing on the result. Anyone watching the game could see that some of our players were tiring & that some fresh legs might have made a difference. It could not have made things worse, could it.
    Bowyer obviously thought that bringing on up to three "kids" for their league debuts, when we already had Lapsie making his league debut, might have made things worse.
    Bear in mind he said only 2 weeks ago, that they weren't ready yet.

I'll have to agree to disagree.
  • Options

I might be wrong

Leuth said:

SDAddick said:

??!

A nervous Taylor Maloney may have made things worse. Or Ajose being unable to hold up the ball as well as Taylor.
  • Options
    I have the unfortunate pleasure in having to live in the north east at the moment and the vibes coming out of sunderland football club is how they have suddenly become world beaters and the players have said what fantastic fans they have.well,it was quite clear to me that had we not faded and suffered injuries that we would have gone on to win the game and as for the supporters you could hear a pin drop in the home ends for at least 70 mins of the match!
  • Options

I have the unfortunate pleasure in having to live in the north east at the moment and the vibes coming out of sunderland football club is how they have suddenly become world beaters and the players have said what fantastic fans they have.well,it was quite clear to me that had we not faded and suffered injuries that we would have gone on to win the game and as for the supporters you could hear a pin drop in the home ends for at least 70 mins of the match!

Yes, it was extraordinarily quiet for most of the match, yet deafening when they scored...