Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton - Post Match Views

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Ironic that the player that should have seen a straight red for that stamp challenge on Pearce after the ball had gone then scores the goal in the 7th minute of added time that he has caused, just another kick in the teeth.
  • Options
    sunderland as a club i have always preffered to newcastle, but there fans are a joke they are a 1 club city, so should have decent gates granted 31k is v good for league 1 but it wont remain all season and for so many fuck me they were quiet.
  • Options

Ironic that the player that should have seen a straight red for that stamp challenge on Pearce after the ball had gone then scores the goal in the 7th minute of added time that he has caused, just another kick in the teeth.

Not only that, but think he was the one who had the initial air shot from the corner that we laughed at for all of a couple of seconds.
  • Options

great weekend up there bar the result, impressive stadium and another one ticked off, thought we had ample opportunity to win it in 1st half but just like last season didn't take our chances i thought Taylor was a breath of fresh air, and can see him getting a few,. the holding up of the forster caskey shirt i thought was a bit embarrassing.

likewise .. has a great few days in the N East, one of my favourite parts of England .. staying in a hotel (home tomorrow) right in the student area and though the unis have broken up for summer the many nice, spacious bars and cafés in pedestrianised areas are busy and reasonably priced .. I was even tempted to have a pint or two

went for a long walk this morning, over the Wear bridge to Nth Sunderland and followed the river around to Roker .. like a lot of E coast places, has a lovely sandy beach .. on the way back, stopped at the National Glass Centre, a must for anyone interested in the history and mechanics of glass making, both industrial and 'art' .. cooler today, ideal for a nice stroll about with (as Chuck Berry wrote) no particular place to go
  • Options
    Was Bowyer trying to make a point by not filling the subs bench, surely taking a couple more of Euell's players that are on the fringe of the first team would give them incentive and some experience of what it is like to be involved (especially going to a good, big ground with a large crowd) even if they had no intention of playing them........just seems like another opportunity lost.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Players were unhappy with the challenge on Pearce by Gooch. Feel it was a red card job. Particularly pissed off, as without Pearce, Gooch was able to pop up and score the winner a minute later.
    But they admitted they were knackered, although Taylor was less knackered, more hobbling after being stamped on.
    Walked to the station with Taylor after the game, and he got surrounded by a big group of Sunderland fans demanding to know why he’d chosen us over them. He dealt with them really well.
    He’s extremely confident about his ability to score goals. Says it’s an instinct with him, and always has been. Plus he absolutely loves scoring, even if it’s just a practice game. He loved taking the penalty. He’s (objectively) a very attractive fella, I don’t mind saying - has real charisma.
    We need to promote a player like that, to help attract a younger fan base.

good and interesting post .. do the boys travel 1st class on the train ?
  • Options
    Hmmm. If Bowyer doesn't think any of the subs named for Saturday or any of the other u23's are/ will be good enough then we are royally fucked. There's a possibility of no one else coming in...and in that scenario what does he do? Play the same 12 players for 90+ minutes every week until the injuries start coming back.... Maybe Maloney would have come on, been nervous and given away 6 pens, or, maybe not. Again, looking back at previous times there's always been the argument of blood the youngster's, no, playing a nigh on entire u23 team isn't great but then with currently 0 depth in squad... playing them IS the only option. And after all, there's plenty of posts saying that Philip's should be our number 1 and needs a run of games.... Maybe thats all Mascoll, Maloney etc need too.
  • Options

great weekend up there bar the result, impressive stadium and another one ticked off, thought we had ample opportunity to win it in 1st half but just like last season didn't take our chances i thought Taylor was a breath of fresh air, and can see him getting a few,. the holding up of the forster caskey shirt i thought was a bit embarrassing.

likewise .. has a great few days in the N East, one of my favourite parts of England .. staying in a hotel (home tomorrow) right in the student area and though the unis have broken up for summer the many nice, spacious bars and cafés in pedestrianised areas are busy and reasonably priced .. I was even tempted to have a pint or two

went for a long walk this morning, over the Wear bridge to Nth Sunderland and followed the river around to Roker .. like a lot of E coast places, has a lovely sandy beach .. on the way back, stopped at the National Glass Centre, a must for anyone interested in the history and mechanics of glass making, both industrial and 'art' .. cooler today, ideal for a nice stroll about with (as Chuck Berry wrote) no particular place to go
    I had a decent weekend up there as well, went to the beach at Seaburn later on Saturday and visited the Angel of the North yesterday
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I had a decent weekend up there as well, went to the beach at Seaburn later on Saturday and visited the Angel of the North yesterday
    I find the Angel O T N somehow inspiring .. people I know who've seen it up close, in the real seem to either loath or love it .. it's hard to get an idea of the thing from photos and TV
  • Options
    I went to a Sunderland v Everton game in 2001 when I was in the north east on business. It remains the loudest and most vociferous fan base I have ever heard. It was fabulous. At the time they were riding high in the premier league under peter Reid with Quinn and Phillips in their pomp. It was exhilarating. Their demise has in some ways been similar to ours except their owners have been slightly less shite. There is a latent fan base that will be back as soon as they are on the right track. Saturday was an example of what is lurking under the surface if they have some sustained success. I suspect in comparison that a large number of our lurkers may be permanently lost. I have also long suspected that in the premier league days we had a sizeable number of tourists that we won’t get back and frankly don’t miss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I went to a Sunderland v Everton game in 2001 when I was in the north east on business. It remains the loudest and most vociferous fan base I have ever heard. It was fabulous. At the time they were riding high in the premier league under peter Reid with Quinn and Phillips in their pomp. It was exhilarating. Their demise has in some ways been similar to ours except their owners have been slightly less shite. There is a latent fan base that will be back as soon as they are on the right track. Saturday was an example of what is lurking under the surface if they have some sustained success. I suspect in comparison that a large number of our lurkers may be permanently lost. I have also long suspected that in the premier league days we had a sizeable number of tourists that we won’t get back and frankly don’t miss.

exactly .. very perceptive post
  • Options

Hmmm. If Bowyer doesn't think any of the subs named for Saturday or any of the other u23's are/ will be good enough then we are royally fucked. There's a possibility of no one else coming in...and in that scenario what does he do? Play the same 12 players for 90+ minutes every week until the injuries start coming back.... Maybe Maloney would have come on, been nervous and given away 6 pens, or, maybe not. Again, looking back at previous times there's always been the argument of blood the youngster's, no, playing a nigh on entire u23 team isn't great but then with currently 0 depth in squad... playing them IS the only option. And after all, there's plenty of posts saying that Philip's should be our number 1 and needs a run of games.... Maybe thats all Mascoll, Maloney etc need too.

For me it isn't really about only naming 5 subs, but not using the ones his did name. Ajose isn't a novice and before Thursday it was being widely reported that RHF was going to start (LB played him up-front with Grant the week before & after the last PSF said that was likely to be the team against Sunderland). If you look back at Saturday you can see that in the last 20 mins our midfield & attack was knackered..........bringing on Ajose & RHF might, just might, have helped & some fresh legs might have meant that they could have chased & harried & kept the ball in the Sunderland half.

As said earlier, we'll just have to agree to disagree............but don't say I didn't warn you if the same thing happens again against Shrewsbury.
  • Options
    After one game we are 17th in the league, it sounds like some fans would like the season to end now :smiley:
  • Options
    edited August 2018

JamesSeed said:

Players were unhappy with the challenge on Pearce by Gooch. Feel it was a red card job. Particularly pissed off, as without Pearce, Gooch was able to pop up and score the winner a minute later.
    But they admitted they were knackered, although Taylor was less knackered, more hobbling after being stamped on.
    Walked to the station with Taylor after the game, and he got surrounded by a big group of Sunderland fans demanding to know why he’d chosen us over them. He dealt with them really well.
    He’s extremely confident about his ability to score goals. Says it’s an instinct with him, and always has been. Plus he absolutely loves scoring, even if it’s just a practice game. He loved taking the penalty. He’s (objectively) a very attractive fella, I don’t mind saying - has real charisma.

Yes. Taylor told me ‘the upgrade is only £15 at weekends’. Maybe they pay the upgrade, who knows. I saw Marshall buying a ticket from the machine.

Taylor said the coach was going to drop them at the station, but the traffic meant they would have missed the train, so they walked.
    Perhaps it would then return to the ground to pick up those not getting the early train. I can’t see the club laying on a coach *and* 1st class train fares, even without the austerity drive.
  • Options

Hmmm. If Bowyer doesn't think any of the subs named for Saturday or any of the other u23's are/ will be good enough then we are royally fucked. There's a possibility of no one else coming in...and in that scenario what does he do? Play the same 12 players for 90+ minutes every week until the injuries start coming back.... Maybe Maloney would have come on, been nervous and given away 6 pens, or, maybe not. Again, looking back at previous times there's always been the argument of blood the youngster's, no, playing a nigh on entire u23 team isn't great but then with currently 0 depth in squad... playing them IS the only option.

And after all, there's plenty of posts saying that Philip's should be our number 1 and needs a run of games.... Maybe thats all Mascoll, Maloney etc need too.

Maybe that's all they need. But right now, not all at the same time.

That's what Bowyer has said.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Yes. Taylor told me ‘the upgrade is only £15 at weekends’. Maybe they pay the upgrade, who knows. I saw Marshall buying a ticket from the machine.

Taylor said the coach was going to drop them at the station, but the traffic meant they would have missed the train, so they walked.
    Perhaps it would then return to the ground to pick up those not getting the early train. I can’t see the club laying on a coach *and* 1st class train fares, even without the austerity drive.
    I suppose it's reassuring that our players are aware of the weekend first upgrade price...

Maybe they'll all start coming to home matches on the bus next :smile:
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Hmmm. If Bowyer doesn't think any of the subs named for Saturday or any of the other u23's are/ will be good enough then we are royally fucked. There's a possibility of no one else coming in...and in that scenario what does he do? Play the same 12 players for 90+ minutes every week until the injuries start coming back.... Maybe Maloney would have come on, been nervous and given away 6 pens, or, maybe not. Again, looking back at previous times there's always been the argument of blood the youngster's, no, playing a nigh on entire u23 team isn't great but then with currently 0 depth in squad... playing them IS the only option.

And after all, there's plenty of posts saying that Philip's should be our number 1 and needs a run of games.... Maybe thats all Mascoll, Maloney etc need too.

Indeed. But unfortunately they could all have too!
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Indeed. But unfortunately they could all have too!
    Again, maybe ....... but evidently, not if Bowyer had anything to do with it! :smile:

• Options
    I keep hearing that Jason Pearce was stamped on by Gooch which is why he was taken off before they scored. Can anybody shed any light on this?
  • Options

I keep hearing that Jason Pearce was stamped on by Gooch which is why he was taken off before they scored. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Wasnt it a case of Pearce shepherding the ball out for a Goal Kick? - Gooch has gone in with a tackle to try and win the ball yet has got him about the knee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Haven't seen on tv, but it looked nasty. Pearce was very unhappy about it and thought it should have been a red. My Sunderland mate thought it was just a bit late.