Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Glad that I was stuck in traffic on the way to the South of France, even if it was in 40° heat.
    Really couldn't give two shats.
  • Options
    Expected us to lose, But still gutted !

New owner at Sunderland, lucky bastards.

Decent 1st half, but needed a new 11 for 2nd half. Fitness and staying fit has been a real issue now for 4 years. When/If Duchatelet departs our club maybe he can takes the curse with him because being a comedy club just isn't funny.
  • Options

Phillips cost us there when he conceded that equaliser if that’s Amos he saves that all day long. Phillips can be as home grown as he likes but he’s proper out of his depth

perfect analysis .. unfortunately
    Bit of a pointless comment given that Amos no longer plays for us. Might be an idea to try and get behind Phillips while he's playing - the rest of the team aren't perfect either.

If we had better players, better owner and better manager we'd do better.
    it's got beyond the point where anyone can keep defending Phillips except on the grounds of bloody mindedness or shortsightedness .. @Greenie Junior has summed it up perfectly, he might be 'one of our own' but he just is not good enough .. yes Amos has gone, the point is, to stretch it further 99% of keepers with a lot of experience would have stopped that shot .. a professional football team cannot keep a keeper in the team who is so error prone .. keepers' mistakes are more often than not more costly than outfielders' errors, that is the nature of the position .. I, me, personally do not want to be watching a team where a keeper is kept in situ on the grounds that he needs experience .. let him go elsewhere where him getting experience will not cost my team points, will cost us games and possible promotion ..
    Lastly, I never have and never will slag off any CAFC player and you have no right to suggest that I am not behind Phillips or any other player who I travel long distances and pay good money to watch and have done for a long time ..
    and that is my very last word on the subject of Phillips, you might rate him, I don't
    I have a right to express an opinion as far as I'm aware and I can't see the point of saying a keeper who no longer plays for us might have saved a shot. We have two keepers on our books who might not be particularly brilliant but that's we've got at present - I'm not really sure where this argument is leading.

It would be nice if Amos was still here but he isn't and RD is unlikely to strengthen the squad .

We've played one game this season and if you want to get yourself in a state over Dillon that's up to you. He's our goalkeeper for now however crap he is.

I wouldn't worry too much about promotion for now.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Is it just me or has Lapslie got a bit of Scott Parker about him?

I made just that comment to my neighbour during the game .. could be we're just fixated on the blonde barnet ? .. if he turns out to be anywhere near so good, he'll do for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    https://youtu.be/geO6cAfz-dY
    Top goalkeepers in action!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Is it just me or has Lapslie got a bit of Scott Parker about him?

Agree BUT at the moment before Parker went on loan to Norwich and came back a different player.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a list of all the players out injured?
  • Options

That challenge on Pearce should have seen red . We played well first half , Lapslie was excellent I thought . Fans were great , can't criticise anyone of the players . But Roland you don't half get under my skin .

Yep i think Pearce having to go off injured cost us in those final minutes
  • Options
    Sage said:

Scoham said:

Sage said:

Don’t feel much other than acceptance.

Before I start with Charlton, I’ve got to say the Sunderland fans were awful, in the sense if they made no noise until they scored, and when they did they were so loud, can you imagine what they could’ve been with good support behind them? Not surprised they have been on such a decline.

I thought the 3 at the back worked really well to be honest. We looked a threat in the first half and though we were the better side. But then we started to tire and you could see Taylor, Grant, Pratley, Lapslie, Pearce, Marshall all tiring on 60 minutes but we had no one to bring on. It was late in the game that we fell apart and we just lost momentum, anything going forward and dropped deeper and deeper until it was a matter of time.

The lads done all they could and you could see they had nothing left in the tank. But we desperately need players because bare bones is the only way I can put it. It’s even worse if Pearce is injured, we have no one left.

Onto the next one, this is going to be a harsh season.

What 3 at the back? We played a back 4?
    I assure you we played 3 at the back, and to be honest I thought it was very clear to see throughout the game.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce
    Marshal Aribo Pratley Page
    Lapslie
    Taylor Grant

Bowyer even said the same, they worked on it yesterday morning for the first time.
    I'm concerned that we only worked on our formation for the first game the day before the first game. Obviously you expect the JFC injury that would change things, but you'd expect to have worked on secondary formations during pre-season.

I think you're both right. There were definitely times in the first half where it was a back 3/5, with Marshall as the wingback. But he also had a lot of freedom to get up the pitch and it shifted Solly over to a conservative right back. So when attacking it looked like a sort of lopsided diamond in midfield with Marshall playing wide on the right, Aribo narrow on the left, Lapslie with that free role, and Pratley holding.

Then in the second half we looked to go flat 4-4-2 or just downright lost our shape. I still think we when we're playing a flat 4-4-2 we look too open. I think some of that was fatigue in the second half and some of it was Lapslie isn't quite ready to be part of a central midfield two in a 4-4-2, but I feel like we're not disciplined enough with our banks of four and it's easy to pull us out of shape (happened in the playoffs as well).
  • Options
    Need a great day out, desperate for some one to lay down an die ! You need to play Charlton ! The club that just keeps on giving. We can arrange to look fucking totally in control,before we lay down an die for you to get the three points. We have years of experience of making it a great day for your fans ! Whilst a shit one for ours !

Contact Lee Bowyer, your great day out is but, some shit management away.

Sorry add him to list of cunts who haven't a scoobie, how to turn a dominant first half into 3 points !

• Options

Need a great day out, desperate for some one to lay down an die ! You need to play Charlton ! The club that just keeps on giving. We can arrange to look fucking totally in control,before we lay down an die for you to get the three points. We have years of experience of making it a great day for your fans ! Whilst a shit one for ours !

Sorry add him to list of cunts who haven't a scoobie, how to turn a dominant first half into 3 points !

We seemed to capitulate at the end of games far too often last season - is it fitness or a mental thing?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I guess that is the shape of things to come. Last season (and the previous couplé) we thought we probably didn't have enough depth to see out the season. This year, we have a new low - we start with a squad that can't see out 90 minutes. When Sunderland turned the screw, and legs tired, there was nothing on the bench that Bow thought might swing things back our way. RD should consider hat if no one is prepared to meet his ludicrous asking rice for a tier three team, next season in tier 4 will involve further losses and a huge evaluation of how much he can expect to recoup by selling up.

We still have a couple of days to shore up the squad - if we don't take them, we'll be in relegation trouble by october, and the injuries will be required to make their return in a struggling team.

Bow should look at himself in the mirror and ask if he really needs this shambles. He was promised (ha ha ha) the job on a full time basis if the takeover failed to happen, so he is now officially in the 'taking it up the backside' group of anagers who regularly got shafted by RD. He is also starting to offer a few quotes ('aiming for promotion') which suggest he actually likes it that way. If we fail to reinforce seriously next week, he would be well advised to walk.

I feel sorry for the fans who had a point whipped away at the end of a tough match, and the players who by all accounts gave everything against a team who will surely be up there next may. Shoud we have made changes before the equaliser? Almost certainly, but what did we have on our half empty bench? All in all a bad start to the new term, but the worst is what this all augers, unless the Aussies step in sharpish, and really spend big. At the momento, flying pigs over the Valley seems more likely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When we concede first, we lose any belief we may have had and allow the opposition to control the game for a comfortable win.

When we score first, we bottle it in the 2nd half and lose to a late winner.
  • Options

gutted.

don't deserve that BUT.......their manager changed it up.....ours didn't. Yes, LB may not have the players but 5 players on the bench ??? Sunderland played a 16 year old ffs !! We needed to freshen it up with 20 to go. Yesterday we were told Taylor & Pratley were "doubtful" as one hasn't done a full pre-season & the other injured. Both played 90 + 9 mins.

I maybe be being harsh & probably because I think we've been robbed of a point (would have snapped your hand off for 1-1) but LB just stood there & did nothing. No point making a "gesture" that we have no one to play. RD ain't watching Mr Bowyer - he don't care. Either make do with what you have or don't bother.

This
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I thought we looked slightly light on the left hand side.

On the right Solly and Marshall worked together, whereas Page seemed isolated

very good point .. I s'pose the answer is partly that until we get a few more bodies fit, it's gonna be difficult to balance the team's formation .. having said that I can't see we have a natural left footed wide player and I can't see us getting one in at short notice
  • Options

When we concede first, we lose any belief we may have had and allow the opposition to control the game for a comfortable win.

When we score first, we bottle it in the 2nd half and lose to a late winner.
    So basically we're f***ed!
  • Options
    walking back to the Metro I had a good chat with some knowledgeable S'landers .. Wembley 1998 still looms large lol ..
    they told me that there was a 16 year old in their starting line up .. hours of research shows that number 37, Bali Mumba is that tot .. he's not 17 until October .. he looked pretty good, if. as to be expected, a bit lightweight, but he went the distance
  • Options

walking back to the Metro I had a good chat with some knowledgeable S'landers .. Wembley 1998 still looms large lol ..
    they told me that there was a 16 year old in their starting line up .. hours of research shows that number 37, Bali Mumba is that tot .. he's not 17 until October .. he looked pretty good, if. as to be expected, a bit lightweight, but he went the distance

He did look as if he was wearing a hand me down shirt, and was expected to grow into it...