Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Players were unhappy with the challenge on Pearce by Gooch. Feel it was a red card job. Particularly pissed off, as without Pearce, Gooch was able to pop up and score the winner a minute later.
    But they admitted they were knackered, although Taylor was less knackered, more hobbling after being stamped on.
    Walked to the station with Taylor after the game, and he got surrounded by a big group of Sunderland fans demanding to know why he’d chosen us over them. He dealt with them really well.
    He’s extremely confident about his ability to score goals. Says it’s an instinct with him, and always has been. Plus he absolutely loves scoring, even if it’s just a practice game. He loved taking the penalty. He’s (objectively) a very attractive fella, I don’t mind saying - has real charisma.
    We need to promote a player like that, to help attract a younger fan base.

What reasons did he give for choosing us over them?
  • Options
    Is it me or is there something a bit weird about players walking to the station after a game, especially when it’s soon afterwards so that fans are still around?
  • Options

Is it me or is there something a bit weird about players walking to the station after a game, especially when it’s soon afterwards so that fans are still around?

An absolute nonsense.

P*** poor that we did not have a coach to take the players back to Newcastle.

Dushitelet has dragged things down to non-league levels.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Players were unhappy with the challenge on Pearce by Gooch. Feel it was a red card job. Particularly pissed off, as without Pearce, Gooch was able to pop up and score the winner a minute later.
    But they admitted they were knackered, although Taylor was less knackered, more hobbling after being stamped on.
    Walked to the station with Taylor after the game, and he got surrounded by a big group of Sunderland fans demanding to know why he’d chosen us over them. He dealt with them really well.
    He’s extremely confident about his ability to score goals. Says it’s an instinct with him, and always has been. Plus he absolutely loves scoring, even if it’s just a practice game. He loved taking the penalty. He’s (objectively) a very attractive fella, I don’t mind saying - has real charisma.

It wasn't because of our location (he's played in Scotland), it was something to do with his agent not liking something Sunderland were saying. But I only heard a third of the conversation.

Meant to say Marshall is a very nice fella, and Pratley has 'presence'. Pearce great too.
  • Options
    Did Marshall mention anything about why he wasnt involved against Shrewsbury or expecting to leave in the summer?
  • Options

The squad is weak. If at least 5, quality, players are not brought in then the season is going nowhere. With injuries loss of form by January there will not be 11 players to put out a team.
    RD is killing the club, he will get nothing selling it soon, as there will be nothing to sell. Goalkeeper looks weak. No back up to defence. Mid field, as always has no play maker. Taylor is best forward in a while but will only score if chances created.
    Yes the team looked good in places in the first half.
    Overall it looked like an end of season squad with the hope there will be strengthening in close season ready for a push next season. That squad is so thin it is an insult to paying supporters.
    How do we get RD out?

£40M to start with, then about £20M per season thereafter.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Anyone notice Aribo liked this tweet? Very sportsmanlike that.

Prob be there by end of week
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Did better than I expected nearly holding out for a point.

The game was lost on player availability when we needed fresh legs in the middle we had no options, none at all - can’t fault Bowyer today.

Good effort from the players to no avail. Lapslie May grow but not up to this division, we’re an injury (or a player sale) away from a very very tough season.

Ward, Dawkins & Ince.............should have been signed up this week & in the squad today. If LB isn't allowed to sign them then just say so & stop pissing them about.

I'll keep saying it - LB is an appeaser. If you can't be a manager under these circumstances then say so. Stop dicking about with "it is what it is".
    You'd rather we had no manager?
    I think Golfie wants Fraeye back or maybe Riga again ?
    Personally, I'm very happy with Lee Bowyer and can't really fault him.
    So you thought it was great tactics to name just 5 subs & then only use 1 of them, and that was only because he had to.

The front 2 were tiring, Pratley (by LB's own admission) wasn't going to start due to not being 100% fit & Lapslie was playing his first ever league game. Does none of that make you think all 3 subs should have been used......and don't give me that old guff about Ajose possibly leaving or RHF being too young. They were on the fecking bench - use them ! LB may have been a great player & imo probably the best youngster I've seen at The Valley in my 40 years (parker a close 2nd) but his management/tactical skills are not worth a jot.

As for the managers you mentioned...............I'd have Riga back in a heartbeat . probably the best manager we've had since Powell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

An absolute nonsense.

P*** poor that we did not have a coach to take the players back to Newcastle.

Dushitelet has dragged things down to non-league levels.
    If nothing else, players should be warming down properly, not rushing into the shower then pegging it down the road to catch a train. I assume they were catching one of the few direct trains from Sunderland to London (proper Charlton)
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Phillips made one mistake and it cost us a goal. Other than, that I didn’t think he put a foot wrong. The sad thing is, as soon as they equalised, my first thought was that he’d get ruined on here. I guess that says more about the quality of people that get on here than it says about the quality of Dillon.

I dont even think the first goal was his fault! Shot came through legs with bodies in the way but also it wasn't closed down at all!!
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

The game was lost on player availability when we needed fresh legs in the middle we had no options, none at all - can’t fault Bowyer today.

Good effort from the players to no avail. Lapslie May grow but not up to this division, we’re an injury (or a player sale) away from a very very tough season.

Ward, Dawkins & Ince.............should have been signed up this week & in the squad today. If LB isn't allowed to sign them then just say so & stop pissing them about.

I'll keep saying it - LB is an appeaser. If you can't be a manager under these circumstances then say so. Stop dicking about with "it is what it is".
    So you thought it was great tactics to name just 5 subs & then only use 1 of them, and that was only because he had to.

The front 2 were tiring, Pratley (by LB's own admission) wasn't going to start due to not being 100% fit & Lapslie was playing his first ever league game. Does none of that make you think all 3 subs should have been used......and don't give me that old guff about Ajose possibly leaving or RHF being too young. They were on the fecking bench - use them ! LB may have been a great player & imo probably the best youngster I've seen at The Valley in my 40 years (parker a close 2nd) but his management/tactical skills are not worth a jot.

As for the managers you mentioned...............I'd have Riga back in a heartbeat . probably the best manager we've had since Powell.
    Riga has not done much since he left us.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Riga should have quit while he was ahead. He did JS on his second coming and got found out. You can only work with the tools at your disposal and CP left him a full toolbox (no not just spanners) especially backroom staff first time around.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Riga should have quit while he was ahead. He did JS on his second coming and got found out. You can only work with the tools at your disposal and CP left him a full toolbox (no not just spanners) and backroom staff first time around.

When he took over the first time we had about 15 games in hand on the 4th bottom team.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    JamesSeed said:

RedChaser said:

Riga should have quit while he was ahead. He did JS on his second coming and got found out. You can only work with the tools at your disposal and CP left him a full toolbox (no not just spanners) and backroom staff first time around.

Watch it with the JS thing mate.
    Unfortunately your Gramps has the same initials as Jack Sh*t. :wink:
  • Options

And another thing about that 5 subs malarkey. Three guys on the bench (I’m exempting ajose and Sarr) plus the likes of Blumberg and Mascol now know that the management team doesn’t think they are up to it (yet). It’s almost certain that with injuries we will need to play some or all of them at some stage and possibly soon. Nice confidence building handling eh?

Alternatively, if one or more came on and didn't perform, they may have got criticised and it may have dented their confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

"Look around you."
  • Options

And another thing about that 5 subs malarkey. Three guys on the bench (I’m exempting ajose and Sarr) plus the likes of Blumberg and Mascol now know that the management team doesn’t think they are up to it (yet). It’s almost certain that with injuries we will need to play some or all of them at some stage and possibly soon. Nice confidence building handling eh?

Alternatively, if one or more came on and didn't perform, they may have got criticised and it may have dented their confidence.
    But you have Sarr and Ajose who are experienced professionals and have played a lot of games at this level.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

I've not seen Ajose have a good game for us and if we're looking for someone to hold the ball up & battle, then no I don't think Ajose's your man.
    Ok I'm not saying it would have been bad to bring him on, but I'm sure Bowyer had his reasons and I'm certainly not critical.

3 of the subs (kids) hadn't even started a league game I believe & Bowyer only said 2 weeks ago that they weren't ready yet.
    He had to name them because we may have had players going off injured and had to be replaced.
    But if Bowyer's judgement is that Aribo, Lapslie & Pratley were a better bet than putting on more kids, then I'm content.

It's funny how we see things different, but I normally disagree with most of your football comments.
  • Options
    With JF-C out, I think Aribo can replace him and be our midfield general, with Pratley doing the defending. It would be totally mad to sell him.
  • Options

With JF-C out, I think Aribo can replace him and be our midfield general, with Pratley doing the defending. It would be totally mad to sell him.

You're probably right about Aribo. Just a shame he'll be gone by the end of the week
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

But you have Sarr and Ajose who are experienced professionals and have played a lot of games at this level.
    Sarr was on the pitch 5 mins and contributed to them scoring in my humble opinion
  • Options

You're probably right about Aribo. Just a shame he'll be gone by the end of the week
    Wonder what odds are on the next transfer being a sale rather than a purchase?