Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Millwall post match views (2017, the Robinson era)

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I was embarrassed to be a Charlton fan yesterday...

To sing about TW as soon as Josh went down, was utterly disrespectful. I mean, he's had such a sh*t season for us, hasn't he?

I make no bones about this, our chances of winning that game pretty much went out of the window when he went down.

I am nearly 60, with bad knees, and I think I could beat TW in a race to catch a bus. But probably not to the bar.

I don't think TW could out run his nose...

He is a "professional athlete". I can't argue with "professional", because he is paid, but calling him "athlete" is abusing the term.

And, then I see on the player score thread that some have marked him with a higher score than Crofts...
  • edited January 2017
    Defending set-pieces was a problem last season too and it was more often Jackson or Makienok that made any headed clearance (Jackson at the near post for the under-hit one and Makienok in the middle).

Yesterday our two centre-backs couldn't cope with the numbers of big Millwall players and Konsa (a centre-back) doesn't look like he's ready to win many headers either. You know you are struggling when Tony Watt has to come back and defend a corner (and to be fair he did a very decent headed clearance in the 1st half). The trick was not to concede any stupid free-kicks out wide (think it was Byrne down by the tunnel who gave away the daftest).

• I make no bones about this, our chances of winning that game pretty much went out of the window when he went down.

Though we scored a legitimate goal afterwards and didn't concede.
  • So worth it

Should have thrown it harder...
    He throws and plays like the a girl
    Very disappointed he didn't throw it full pelt. The punishment would still have been the same.
  • I know all of us have moaned non-stop about the problems we have in midfield and to be fair to KR he has changed this, but yesterday we had far too many young players in midfield without a natural leader of the Kinsella-Keith Jones type, this should be a PRIORITY signing for the manager.
  • We have to learn to play against limited physical well drilled organised teams - it is a shot cut to success in this league but skill should always beat it. We needed a bit more skill yesterday and a ref that is honest - if you make a decision for something that hasn't happened you are being dishonest - you have to give what you see, not what you thought might have happened!
  • edited January 2017

JMP said:

You lot can all knock Morison but how many of you would want him in your team!?

And I thought the goal was not given due to offside NOT a foul against Archer?

Lino flagged for a foul not an offside.
    The Lino flagged across the pitch indicating offside.
    I thought it had been given offside but my brother pointed out that he was flagging towards the halfway line, as indeed he was.

I can't see any way anyone could have been offside under the current interpretation anyway, since no one else touched the ball except Bauer and clearly he wasn't offside.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017
    addick05 said:

I know all of us have moaned non-stop about the problems we have in midfield and to be fair to KR he has changed this, but yesterday we had far too many young players in midfield without a natural leader of the Kinsella-Keith Jones type, this should be a PRIORITY signing for the manager.

I did say pre match that we needed leaders on the pitch and Robinson was aware of this hence the decision, for all his past misdeameanors, to bring in Bowyer to pass on his knowledge to the likes of, Konsa Aribo and Da Silva. JJ would also have played a part in this as well and we did of course have Crofts in there alongside them.

However I take your point but with Crofts, Holmes and Jackson on the books, I can't see the Douchbag agreeing to any other 'mature' midfielders being brought in especially as Reeves of MK franchise seems to be his preferred addition either this window or the next.
  • purdis said:

Redrobo said:

If Tex and BFG can't play next week, then Johnson and Konsa it is. Not the best team to be playing with a new defence, but that's football.

Lennon could start at LB as well if Page sidelined. Robbo has not had the best of luck so far.

We may be stuck with a choice between Lennon & Johnson - oh, dear!
    Lennon any day.
    Lennon is injured.
  • We need to get a settled team but with the constant stream of injuries and ever changing tactics this seems a million miles away. We had too many inexperienced players out there yesterday and DaSilva in particular looked a long way from ready. We had plenty of pace and possession but threatened little - we are a long way off the playoffs.
    Crofts, Rudd and Solly stood out for me yesterday and their experience showed. Rudd made a couple of crucial interceptions when our centre backs went missing.

Felt sorry for Page who looked okay prior to injury.
  • addick05 said:

I know all of us have moaned non-stop about the problems we have in midfield and to be fair to KR he has changed this, but yesterday we had far too many young players in midfield without a natural leader of the Kinsella-Keith Jones type, this should be a PRIORITY signing for the manager.

I suppose KR sees Crofts as fulfilling that role.
    (Yeah I know, but that is what we get for being in League 1)
    I thought the two youngsters were a bit overawed yesterday and neither made a mark on the game. A "learning curve" game for them
  • addick05 said:

I suppose KR sees Crofts as fulfilling that role.
    (Yeah I know, but that is what we get for being in League 1)
    I thought the two youngsters were a bit overawed yesterday and neither made a mark on the game. A "learning curve" game for them
  • Not been to a Saturday game for ages, both sides were poor, in fact shite, and a draw was a reasonable reflection from a game of very few chances. If we had of had a right go at either of their fullbacks we would have won at a canter, they were pony, Holmes did it 3 times in 10 mins but crosses were hopeless, not a criticism as he is just getting back from injury. DaSilva might be a player one day but did look like a little lost boy out there, was surprised they did not kick him off the park as a certain Rhino (Stevens) did to Shawn Newton back in the 90's.

Winless run continues but at least I saw the last one
  • We're not quick at the back but played a high line early on in a period when we were on the front foot....and got caught a couple of times. Rudd would've been told to expect to have to come out and make clearances....that's the price of the high line. For the first 20 mins we were pretty dominant without creating too much (lots of promise on the edge of the area but that's all).

2nd half, our energy levels dipped and we sat a bit deeper as the game became mired in midfield. Neither side looked likely to score from open play and set-pieces were the most likely.
  • edited January 2017
    purdis said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Dasilva was too green and should never have made his debut today

I agree. But I don't think he did badly. Kept it simple. Worked hard and ran at his man. Didn't get overawed by the occasion and will be a good player I think.

Most stuff been said already.
    Ref disgraceful, especially second disallowed goal.
    Tex petulant -saw it in real time and knew he'd be sent off. If he was going to have a go, then at least do Morrison some damage instead of a poncy chuck of the ball at his back...
    Felt sorry for Dasilva as no-one wants to be a subbed sub and don't think he deserved that -would have been better to bring Holmes on on the right for Byrne who had faded badly. Holmes crosses after he came on were abysmal.
    Despite the "goal", we were pretty fortunate not to lose - cannot afford the number of free headers we gave away. Big issue with such a small team.
    Many players out there for us today were not match fit. Hope big Josh is OK.
    Solly needs to remember how to pass, though can't fault his commitment.
    Rudd my man of the match -twice he tackled them (cleanly) outside the area - we'd probably have lost today with the less experienced Phillips in goal.

Injured players still need to be paid each week so will be interesting to see how the Club is able to react financially, if at all, if Big Josh is out for a good while.

I see Costa is unsettled at Chelsea - he'd do - Lol.

Incidentally, for those of you who slated Bauer and Tex for various defensive failings, there are are only two teams in League 1 who have conceded less goals than us and we have conceded the same number of goals as Scunthorpe who are in 2nd place and hot faves for promotion.

Pearce was at the back for most of those games

I assume Konsa will switch to CB next week, JFC or Ulvestad can come in
  • The lino pointed the flag down the line not across the pitch. This suggests that whatever it was, it wasn't pffside.
  • seth plum said:

The lino pointed the flag down the line not across the pitch. This suggests that whatever it was, it wasn't pffside.

Means free-kick against Charlton for a foul.
  • Sponsored links:

• I genuinely have no recollection of going home

I heard you were calling me ugly in the Oak : - )
  • I was embarrassed to be a Charlton fan yesterday...

To sing about TW as soon as Josh went down, was utterly disrespectful. I mean, he's had such a sh*t season for us, hasn't he?

I make no bones about this, our chances of winning that game pretty much went out of the window when he went down.

I am nearly 60, with bad knees, and I think I could beat TW in a race to catch a bus. But probably not to the bar.

He is a "professional athlete". I can't argue with "professional", because he is paid, but calling him "athlete" is abusing the term.

And, then I see on the player score thread that some have marked him with a higher score than Crofts...

Nice to read some proper comments from a fellow supporter who watches the same game as me. There are people who support Charlton who actually think Watt is a good player. This useless twat will earn a living until he is 35 ripping off clubs and being moved on. I just hope he ends up stacking shelves in Tesco sooner rather than later. Would never have got a game under Curbs.
  • edited January 2017

I was embarrassed to be a Charlton fan yesterday...

Our chances of winning that game went out the window when the referee decided he wasn't going to let us score a goal.

Watt certainly divides opinion, whilst I'm not totally convinced by him, he's the sort of player than can change a game within the blink of an eye - The sort of player than get the fans out of their seat. If he delivers or not remains to be seen - there is something about him,but he needs to get his head right. It's frustrating to see a clearly talented footballer waste what he has.

Hope he can get match fit and see where it takes him /us. It was a big ask to get 80 off mins out of him yesterday.
  • Never having seen Watt play before I just judged his performance on the day.
    He looked unfit, as any runs he made visibly took it out of him.
    As a replacement for JM? Nah. No way.

But you can tell he's a decent player. Had he been floating around feeding off the big man he might have looked far more involved and dangerous. Certainly more dangerous than Ajose.

Apparently he's had a terrible attitude over the years. Well this might prove to be his last chance to redeem himself. Why would we deny him that chance.
  • I was embarrassed to be a Charlton fan yesterday...

Our chances of winning that game went out the window when the referee decided he wasn't going to let us score a goal.

Watt certainly divides opinion, whilst I'm not totally convinced by him, he's the sort of player than can change a game within the blink of an eye. The sort of player than get me fans out of their seat. If he delivers or not remains to be seen - there is something about him,but he needs to get his head right.
    He hasn't delivered. His reputation is based on scoring a goal against Barcelona for Celtic. The man is thick. One of life's privileged few with everything but a brain. Couldn't lace big Josh's boots.
  • I don't think we are a long way off the play offs but that run we need needs to start coming soon. Watt wasn't fully fit - he is much greedier when he is fit - We have to play him into fitness and then reap the dividends it will bring us.