Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Millwall post match views (2017, the Robinson era)

Comments

• Let's hope that Magennis is fit for next Saturday .. he, alongside Watt could be a very effective partnership, provided that Watt decides to stay and actually play .. these two + Holmes could be the biz ..
    We have no-one in midfield a t m who looks even remotely capable of scoring, that will not be tooooo important if the strikers can start consistent striki ng .. however we must try to get a midfielder who can actually add forward impetus to a very static area of our play.

Central defence is a problem even before Tex's suspension, too flaky and vulnerable .. strange from two highly rated defenders, perhaps they do not work that well together .. Bauer was holding his back/side long before the finish, Pearce is still out ..
    I mentioned JOHNSON in another post and was called a w u m .. w t f (I do like an acronym) .. he's a decent defender, is still on our books and it's about time the muppets on here got over themselves about his swearing at a few of their number at Bury .. anyway .. it might be that Johnson and Konsa will constitute the central defence against the Iron next Saturday ..

we got a well deserved point away, we are well capable of beating them provided that Robinson throws away the Slade book of tactics and picks an attacking team .. Magennis up front alone with no threat whatsoever from the midfield might gain a lot of single points .. this club, in this division with a strong squad should be winning a lot more games that we do

Slade's team beat Scunthorpe at The Valley in the FA Cup. Seems harsh to call out his tactics on that basis.

true .. BUT generally Slade was a defensive minded manager with us, and you know this .. I'll say again, to play a local derby at home and play ONE man up front with a midfield containing NO proven scorers at any level is negative and reminds me of Slade's tactics when he was our manager .. and on the bench ? .. no Ajose, Hanlan, Umerah or Ahearne-Grant .. If that was not side designed to take ONE point at home, I don't know what is
    The only similarity is that there was one up top. The system that KR plays is far more forward thinking than anything Slade played. The Wingers are basically inside forwards. Two in midfield have a licence to get forward.

Under Slade it was 451 with the 1 as the only player allowed out our half...
    I do think if KR is to play that system he needs to have a little bit more beef and height upfront than Byrne/Watt and DaSilva - I don't think he picked the right substitutes to give that system a chance if there were any injuries - Hanlan or Umerah should probably have been on the bench.
  • I genuinely have no recollection of going home

Not surprised - you were in a bad way at about 10 when you left hahaha.
  • sm said:

Let's hope that Magennis is fit for next Saturday .. he, alongside Watt could be a very effective partnership, provided that Watt decides to stay and actually play .. these two + Holmes could be the biz ..
    We have no-one in midfield a t m who looks even remotely capable of scoring, that will not be tooooo important if the strikers can start consistent striki ng .. however we must try to get a midfielder who can actually add forward impetus to a very static area of our play.

Central defence is a problem even before Tex's suspension, too flaky and vulnerable .. strange from two highly rated defenders, perhaps they do not work that well together .. Bauer was holding his back/side long before the finish, Pearce is still out ..
    I mentioned JOHNSON in another post and was called a w u m .. w t f (I do like an acronym) .. he's a decent defender, is still on our books and it's about time the muppets on here got over themselves about his swearing at a few of their number at Bury .. anyway .. it might be that Johnson and Konsa will constitute the central defence against the Iron next Saturday ..

we got a well deserved point away, we are well capable of beating them provided that Robinson throws away the Slade book of tactics and picks an attacking team .. Magennis up front alone with no threat whatsoever from the midfield might gain a lot of single points .. this club, in this division with a strong squad should be winning a lot more games that we do

Slade's team beat Scunthorpe at The Valley in the FA Cup. Seems harsh to call out his tactics on that basis.

true .. BUT generally Slade was a defensive minded manager with us, and you know this .. I'll say again, to play a local derby at home and play ONE man up front with a midfield containing NO proven scorers at any level is negative and reminds me of Slade's tactics when he was our manager .. and on the bench ? .. no Ajose, Hanlan, Umerah or Ahearne-Grant .. If that was not side designed to take ONE point at home, I don't know what is
    The only similarity is that there was one up top. The system that KR plays is far more forward thinking than anything Slade played. The Wingers are basically inside forwards. Two in midfield have a licence to get forward.

I do think if KR is to play that system he needs to have a little bit more beef and height upfront than Byrne/Watt and DaSilva - I don't think he picked the right substitutes to give that system a chance if there were any injuries - Hanlan or Umerah should probably have been on the bench.
    No I think he had the subs to change the game but not for what happened. With no injuries Holmes and Watt to run at their defense for the last 20 would have been perfect. But Hanlan would have been a better option up top imo.
  • Let's hope that Magennis is fit for next Saturday .. he, alongside Watt could be a very effective partnership, provided that Watt decides to stay and actually play .. these two + Holmes could be the biz ..

if you think so .. what about pre injury Holmes ? .. he was an all out attacker alongside the one 'true' striker .. enlighten me .. who were the goal scoring inside forwards on show yesterday ? .. with one striker to mark a team can concede possession all day and not be in much danger of losing against a side like ours which is shot shy and (I repeat) with a midfield incapable of scoring ..
    Back to my earlier post, I am hopeful that a fit Magennis alongside Holmes and (say) Watt can be a bit more exciting to watch as well as more successful when it comes to scoring .. provided of course that they are selected and are not victims of fancy dan tactics which might prove a tad too sophisticated for the third strata
    Lincs obviously my comment about 1 allowed out our half was slightly exaggerated. Holmes and lookman on the wings were allowed forward but I always got the impression their defensive duties came first.

As for yesterday well it clearly wasn't the team KR wanted. In an ideal situation I think there will be Byrne/Botaka and Holmes/Watt playing the inside forwards roles with aribo/someone new as the number 10. As it was yesterday we had Chicksen playing on one who has scored a couple good goals for us and a new scored innings on the other. And during the game had a kid who was making his first appearance in senior football.

I genuinely think the intent and system is for much more attacking football.

Not surprised - you were in a bad way at about 10 when you left hahaha.
    Just as well you ordered that Uber for him
  • TBF to Watt, Declan Rudd told me after the game that he hasn't played for two months and Robinson had no intention of playing him so early but his hand was forced by the injury to big Josh.
  • If you watch the clip the ref waves play on, although I'm not sure why, as the spanner keeper gathers the ball.

He then blows up when Bauer nets the ball.

In his mind I think he was playing an advantage and then pulled it back for the earlier foul.

That will be his excuse anyway IMHO

Yes, looking again, I think a Charlton player grabs one of the defenders as the corner comes in, and ref played the advantage instead of awarding a free kick. When the advantage didn't come off, he pulled play back. Seems feasible.
    I was thinking the same thing, but if that's the case, why point to the linesman. If he'd seen an original offence, he just needed to blow the whistle once the advantage was lost. Anyone think we could learn something from US sports, where the referee has to announce what the infraction was? We can still disagree with it, but at least we'd know what were disagreeing with.
  • If you watch the clip the ref waves play on, although I'm not sure why, as the spanner keeper gathers the ball.

In his mind I think he was playing an advantage and then pulled it back for the earlier foul.

Yes, looking again, I think a Charlton player grabs one of the defenders as the corner comes in, and ref played the advantage instead of awarding a free kick. When the advantage didn't come off, he pulled play back. Seems feasible.
    I was thinking the same thing, but if that's the case, why point to the linesman. If he'd seen an original offence, he just needed to blow the whistle once the advantage was lost. Anyone think we could learn something from US sports, where the referee has to announce what the infraction was? We can still disagree with it, but at least we'd know what were disagreeing with.
    I think we need to go further. The 4th official needs to be in front of TV with replays available at all angles like in rugby and a ref can go to him when ever he chooses to. Then like cricket and hockey, a captain should have an appeal, say on one occasion per half.

Our refs need some support and as it is available, why not? I know the FA want the same laws across football, but they need to move out of the dark ages. Goal line technology has proved itself and I really think the FA needs to actively look at all that is available.
  • edited January 2017
    I don't think we should use video replay except for decisions based on fact, eg the ball crossing the goal line. As frustrating as it is to have decisions go against you the decision has to be the opinion of the officials and ultimately the ref.

Watch any football show or listen to any phone in and there is often a difference of opinion on decisions around intent, contact, simulation, deliberate handball etc.

I don't see how it will necessarily improve outcomes, as ultimately the decision will still be with one person who you or I might disagree with, regardless of how many times we watch a replay.

• Sponsored links:

Your cab driver does though.

I wonder what the fare was......................................
  • I don't think we should use video replay except for decisions based on fact, eg the ball crossing the goal line. As frustrating as it is to have decisions go against you the decision has to be the opinion of the officials and ultimately the ref.

Watch any football show or listen to any phone in and there is often a difference of opinion on decisions around intent, contact, simulation, deliberate handball etc.

I don't see how it will necessarily improve outcomes, as ultimately the decision will still be with one person who you or I might disagree with, regardless of how many times we watch a replay.

I understand where you are coming from, but have you seen it be used in rugby? The ref can ask questions such as "can you tell me any reason why I should not give a try". He can tell him what his thinking is and ask if that is same as the video says. It will never be totally factual and what happened will always be down to opinion and interpretation, but at least a fully informed one so likely to get more right than wrong.

The main decisions will be about goals, penalties and potential sending offs. The video may not be conclusive, which is why the way they put the questions in rugby are so clever. This could be for instance, are there any reason why I should not send him off? The decision has just about been made, if it is inconclusive then that is it.

I come at it from more of a supporters view. How many times have supporters given up their holiday entitlement, spent their money, and then had the game spoilt by a wrong decision of a goal or sending off? It is just not good enough when there is a better way. The game is always evolving. Just needs to evolve a bit quicker to keep up with the way modern life is.
  • Redrobo said:

If you watch the clip the ref waves play on, although I'm not sure why, as the spanner keeper gathers the ball.

I think we need to go further. The 4th official needs to be in front of TV with replays available at all angles like in rugby and a ref can go to him when ever he chooses to. Then like cricket and hockey, a captain should have an appeal, say on one occasion per half.

Our refs need some support and as it is available, why not? I know the FA want the same laws across football, but they need to move out of the dark ages. Goal line technology has proved itself and I really think the FA needs to actively look at all that is available.
    If the US experience is anything to go by, you really don't want to open the replay box. It kills the flow of the game, because the emphasis becomes getting it absolutely correct, which means more time waiting while every angle is checked over and over.

A lot of commentators around here would like to get rid of it. Players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes and officials make mistakes. That's just the nature of sport.

I do think they should tell us why a free kick was given though - number and offence. So "number 6, push in the back". That's all it takes.
  • I'll be there when we finally break the curse!

#20yearsofhurt

• Page out for 6 weeks.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Page out for 6 weeks.

Magennis's isn't as bad as thought

Listening to the Spurs game on he radio, Vertonghen did something similar, the view of the experts was that some ankle injuries while incredibly painful at the time, aren't that serious, while others are, it all depends on how the ligaments are damaged
  • Don't get the criticism of Watt. As soon as it was apparent he was coming on I said to Golfie that we had a problem as he'd barely played much recently and he'd do lucky to make it to 70 minutes. I was amazed he was the only striker on the bench especially considering Robinson's comments barely ten days ago.

Question, even if he hasn't played much recently, why is he so desperately short of fitness? Are the standards really THAT low in Scotland? I'm apoplectic.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Don't get the criticism of Watt. As soon as it was apparent he was coming on I said to Golfie that we had a problem as he'd barely played much recently and he'd do lucky to make it to 70 minutes. I was amazed he was the only striker on the bench especially considering Robinson's comments barely ten days ago.

Question, even if he hasn't played much recently, why is he so desperately short of fitness? Are the standards really THAT low in Scotland? I'm apoplectic.
    Maybe they are. However, when Watt returned Robinson made a point of saying he was unfit and that Watt had to prove his fitness and prove he wanted to be here before he'd consider him for the first team and we'd see where we were in a few weeks. Then, ten days later, he's on the bench and the only striker on the bench too. Big mistake in my opinion.
    Would you have had Ajose on the bench as well? Or Hanlan or Umerah. The thing is, I don't know that Ajose would have done any better. Everyone on the bench, bar Watt and Johnson, could cover more than one positions DaSilva (LB, LM, #10), Holmes (both wings), JFC (holding midfield, 10), Ulvestad (holding midfield and 10).

Who would you have dropped from the bench? I think Magennis getting injured after 10 minutes was just about the worst case scenario for us, we were equipped to handle just about anything else.
  • edited January 2017
    Sorry, wrong thread.

Edit*
  • said before millwall we need 7 out the next 3 just have to beat scunthorpe and bolton now, scunthorpe is doable bolton not so much, do feel the draws at the start of the season we will be kicking ourselves for come april
  • said before millwall we need 7 out the next 3 just have to beat scunthorpe and bolton now, scunthorpe is doable bolton not so much, do feel the draws at the start of the season we will be kicking ourselves for come april

Its a strange old season / league though.

A good few weeks ago AFC Wimbledon were comfortably in the Play-Offs whilst were we closer to the relegation zone... Now we're above them on Goal Difference - Same with Peterborough who were about six / seven clear of us after their win at the Valley yet are now only two ahead.

Its a shame because only Bradford and Bolton have better defensive records than us whilst only the top four have lost less games than us!! - Funnily though its us and Bradford that have drawn the most games!! - IF (and that is a big IF) we can convert a few draws into wins on the trot then I see a glimmer of a chance, especially as in two weeks time we'll only really have Sheffield United left to face out of all the big teams (i.e. the top three who have ran away with it).

Against Fleetwood we were denied a pen / Millwall we were denied the goal - they say it all adds up at the end of the season but am beginning to wonder if we used it all up in the two Bristol Rovers matches!!

A good few weeks ago AFC Wimbledon were comfortably in the Play-Offs whilst were we closer to the relegation zone... Now we're above them on Goal Difference - Same with Peterborough who were about six / seven clear of us after their win at the Valley yet are now only two ahead.

Its a shame because only Bradford and Bolton have better defensive records than us whilst only the top four have lost less games than us!! - Funnily though its us and Bradford that have drawn the most games!! - IF (and that is a big IF) we can convert a few draws into wins on the trot then I see a glimmer of a chance, especially as in two weeks time we'll only really have Sheffield United left to face out of all the big teams (i.e. the top three who have ran away with it).

Against Fleetwood we were denied a pen / Millwall we were denied the goal - they say it all adds up at the end of the season but am beginning to wonder if we used it all up in the two Bristol Rovers matches!!
    the best way to look at is 60 points still to play for and its not over till its over. but we do need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal, seems strange but saturday i felt a bit more happy about charlton than i have in the last year, the north upper was rocking but i know it was a one off as i wont be back at home this season unless a ticket is spare etc.

the best way to look at is 60 points still to play for and its not over till its over. but we do need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal, seems strange but saturday i felt a bit more happy about charlton than i have in the last year, the north upper was rocking but i know it was a one off as i wont be back at home this season unless a ticket is spare etc.
    If we can show the ruthlessness we all saw against Millwall for the rest of the season then we're well in with a chance... Scunthorpe dont scare me this Saturday as we've already beaten them at the Valley, Bolton I'll be happy with a draw.

Come February though maximum points against the below would send a huge message and seems like the month we're we'll need to put a proper run together if we want to secure that Play-Off spot (i.e. March sees face Bradford and Sheffield United)

(Fleetwood | Rochdale | Wimbledon | Oldham | Oxford | Bury | Shrewsbury)
  • That's a lot of games to play in February (every Saturday & Tuesday), not sure the squad and injuries we have got will be able to cope.
  • The top two are 19/20 points ahead of us, that's a chasm. Automatic has realistically gone.

But as I've been saying all season, the playoffs are still a realistic ambition, the teams above us are just as flawed as we are! Get a good run going at the end of the season, enter the playoffs in a bit of form and who knows
  • Dansk_Red said:

That's a lot of games to play in February (every Saturday & Tuesday), not sure the squad and injuries we have got will be able to cope.

We've surely got a bigger squad than all of those mentioned though so yes it'll hinder all of us, hopefully it'll hinder them sides more