Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey signs (confirmed).

Comments

• Options

I've kept quiet for the last few days as I know Jake well. He's my brothers very good friend and he asked I kept anything he said confidential.

He has unlimited potential, but by his own admission he took his foot off the gas and hasn't made as much of an impact as he'd have hoped over the past 18 months. I liken him to Diego Poyet in that he needs to really settle down and push on now or else it will be unfulfilled potential.

He's arguably more comfortable in the number 4 position than box to box, but has a great engine and a good range of passing. He's also quicker than Crofts and Ulvestad so we should be able to transition more quickly between defence / attack and attack / defence. He kept Jordan Cousins out of the England U21 team and Gareth Southgate supposedly saw Jake as a more technically complete player where as Jordan was far more athletic, but less cultured.

Most importantly however, he really wants to be here. He's very close to his family and didn't really settle at Rotherham at all this year. He's very happy to be moving to a local club where he can be closer to his friends and family and concentrate on just his football.

Let's hope it works out for all concerned.

Thanks for the information, I do believe this is a good signing for us. Being connected to Charlton fans, and with our current perception within the game I presume he had some idea about the going ons at the club. Is the family/need to settle the major reason for his move, or does he also have faith in Robinson and believes we can challenge for promotion?
  • Options

He looks delighted...

Be fair......the suns in his eyes.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I didn't realise before today that he was an England international (U 16 17 18 20 21) and kept Jordan Cousins out on occasions.

If he's better/as good as Cousins, then that's a great signing.

He'll have to get used to passing to Nicky Ajose instead of Harry Kane.
  • Options
    Makes a change for us to actually sign a 'younger' player with potential rather than the 'older' 'experienced' players and one our new manager obviously wanted. Good luck to the lad, lets hope it works out well for all of us!
    "You never know Roland you might even earn a few quid out of him" :neutral:
  • Options

I've kept quiet for the last few days as I know Jake well. He's my brothers very good friend and he asked I kept anything he said confidential.

He has unlimited potential, but by his own admission he took his foot off the gas and hasn't made as much of an impact as he'd have hoped over the past 18 months. I liken him to Diego Poyet in that he needs to really settle down and push on now or else it will be unfulfilled potential.

He's arguably more comfortable in the number 4 position than box to box, but has a great engine and a good range of passing. He's also quicker than Crofts and Ulvestad so we should be able to transition more quickly between defence / attack and attack / defence. He kept Jordan Cousins out of the England U21 team and Gareth Southgate supposedly saw Jake as a more technically complete player where as Jordan was far more athletic, but less cultured.

Most importantly however, he really wants to be here. He's very close to his family and didn't really settle at Rotherham at all this year. He's very happy to be moving to a local club where he can be closer to his friends and family and concentrate on just his football.

Thanks for posting this.

It's exactly what those of us who are not too familiar with Jake wanted to hear.

Welcome Jake. Knock em cold son.

• Options

I didn't realise before today that he was an England international (U 16 17 18 20 21) and kept Jordan Cousins out on occasions.

If he's better/as good as Cousins, then that's a great signing.

He'll have to get used to passing to Nicky Ajose instead of Harry Kane.

If he can get used to passing to watt instead we have a chance
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the information, I do believe this is a good signing for us. Being connected to Charlton fans, and with our current perception within the game I presume he had some idea about the going ons at the club. Is the family/need to settle the major reason for his move, or does he also have faith in Robinson and believes we can challenge for promotion?
    He comes to us with eyes wide open, but as for his own personal motivation it's not something I'd ever really ask him to be honest.

As high level as we've discussed is he just wants to enjoy his football.
  • Options
    JFC? Sounds like the last place the chicken coniseur reviewed...
  • Options

JFC? Sounds like the last place the chicken coniseur reviewed...

Can see him getting on well with Chicksen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A Brighton fan I know said he's a good signing for League One/lower Championship.

I asked the Brighton FM researcher about the type of player he is. He wasn't as positive but they've been in the Championship a while now. Hopefully he can push on with us.
    He's tidy in possession but never demonstrated an ability to pick a good through ball, just good at keeping the ball moving. He was also easily outmuscled and not one to put in a hard tackle. Under Poyet and Garcia with 3 centre mids he was OK as had other people to win tackles or create chances but he never stood out as having enough about him to make an impact on a game.
  • Options
    Brighton fan on Facebook just told me this is an excellent signing. He just never had a chance to establish himself and once he does he has real potential. I have no idea whether that is a right assessment but we will find out in due time I am sure.
  • Options

He comes to us with eyes wide open, but as for his own personal motivation it's not something I'd ever really ask him to be honest.

As high level as we've discussed is he just wants to enjoy his football.
    And hopefully the dancing after the match
  • Options
    Sorry if already posted.... mBrighton fans seem to rate him:
    http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?346725-Jake-Forster-Caskey-to-Charlton-for-undisclosed-fee
    Interesting opinions on there. They reckon he could have cost as much as £750k and that he's got a lot of ability but has struggled to nail down his natural position.
  • Options
    If a manager has bought a player he's previously worked with, this must be an indicator that he rates him and as our current league position suggests, Robinson wont be buying anyone to fill up the squad numbers. He'll be wanting players that can come straight in and mix things up with the team and create competition for first team places.

Good luck Jake. Welcome to your new permanent home.
  • Options
    Anyone bumped into him at a petrol station yet?
  • Options
    Surprising move for a player with 12 outings for the England U21 side. I'd expect him to be at least a division higher.

Replacement for Jackson?
  • Options
    Sounds like a decent signing to me. He's worked with Robinson before, Robinson rates him, he's definitely good enough for a league 1 challenge and hopefully able to take a step up if we get promoted as well.

Good luck and welcome.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

George Jones reports

Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the signing of Jake Forster-Caskey on a permanent transfer from Brighton & Hove Albion.

The 22-year-old midfielder has put pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year deal at The Valley and joins the Addicks for an undisclosed fee.

Forster-Caskey worked under Manager Karl Robinson at Milton Keynes Dons last season and becomes our second addition of the January transfer window following the loan signing of Jay Dasilva from Chelsea.

Robinson said: “I am really pleased to sign Jake, he is a real talent who has shown his quality in the Championship and to be able to attract him to League One is a strong statement of intent and shows what a big club Charlton Athletic is.

“When I joined Charlton, I earmarked him as the type of player we’d need but I thought it would be difficult with him being on loan at Rotherham, to sign him on a permanent deal is fantastic for us.

“I had Jake at Milton Keynes last season and he did so well for me that we loaned him again in January. He’s a talented midfielder with a real quality who will add a lot to our team, I’m looking forward to seeing him at the Sparrows Lane training ground and working with him again.”

Forster-Caskey said: “I’m delighted to join Charlton, I’ve been going out on loan for the last year, so I’m delighted to finally get a home. The club has got ambitions, so have I, and so does the Manager.

"We’re all looking up. I want to get back to the Championship and so does this club. It’s a huge club and I just can’t wait to get started.”

Forster-Caskey joined Brighton’s academy in 2007 and progressed through the ranks before making his senior debut against Yeovil Town in May 2009 when he became Albion’s youngest ever first-team debutant.

In 2012/13, the cultured midfielder joined Oxford United on loan where he made 16 appearances, scoring three goals, and at the end of that campaign he returned to the south coast to help guide the Seagulls into the Championship play-offs.

He played 34 times as Brighton again secured a top-six finish the following year and in 2014/15 he made a further 29 appearances in the Championship.

Capped by England in every age group from U16 to U21, Forster-Caskey linked up with Robinson at Stadium MK last season. He spent the first half of this term on loan at Rotherham United and joins the Addicks having made a total of 82 appearances for Brighton.

Forster-Caskey’s step father, Nicky Forster, played 10 games for Charlton Athletic in 2010, scoring two goals while playing in the same first-team squad as current Addick Chris Solly.

Stay tuned to cafc.co.uk for Forster-Caskey's first interviewinjury as a Charlton player.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:

A Brighton fan I know said he's a good signing for League One/lower Championship.

I asked the Brighton FM researcher about the type of player he is. He wasn't as positive but they've been in the Championship a while now. Hopefully he can push on with us.

He's tidy in possession but never demonstrated an ability to pick a good through ball, just good at keeping the ball moving. He was also easily outmuscled and not one to put in a hard tackle. Under Poyet and Garcia with 3 centre mids he was OK as had other people to win tackles or create chances but he never stood out as having enough about him to make an impact on a game.
    Sounds like a description of Dale Stephens when he was playing for us, but he has gone on to prove some doubters (such as myself) wrong. hopefully JFC can do the same with us.

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    Welcome Jake!
  • Options
    Proper signing!
  • Options
    This is a good signing. He's always impressed me when I've seen him and had got some imagination. I'm shocked he's so young and he seems to have been around the Brighton side forever.

Now for another 3 more players of this calibre to come in with a bit of arsehole about them and we might not get relegated
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTG6RX6dTKA

Scored against us a few seasons back

We seem to have skimmed over the great assist from teammate Solly
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTG6RX6dTKA

Scored against us a few seasons back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26897492

He came off the bench that day. I'd forgotten Jesse Lingard was on loan at Brighton at the time
  • Options
    I deal replacement for THD, we seem to have missed out on the double barreled name players for a while.
  • Options
    He has eight days or so to acclimatise ... wonder if he'll start against Millwall ?
  • Options
    With twww? I doubt it
  • Options
    Risky signing, but Robinson is gonna have to take some if he's gonna get us anywhere near the playoffs, given the restraints his budget is reported to have. He clearly has the natural talent, as does Watt, as does the Chelsea lad and KR is clearly banking on his man management bringing the best out of all of them. A hungry midfielder with a point to prove, who played all through the England age groups, could be a gem, or it could just be a case of potential unfulfilled. The comments up the thread are positive, obviously. Good luck to him.