Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey signs (confirmed).

Comments

• Options
    Big season ahead for him I hope.
  • Options
    Think under Powell is was only Solly who didn't score in the promotion season.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Andy Hughes and Lee Cook as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    razil said:

Tend to agree. But there must be an element of man management though don't you think? No player should think he's a shoe in and can play shite regardless, surely?

Yes but as we are not managing JFC, we can say the truth.

If you have two 20 goal a season strikers, you still need to find 30 more goals. And I don't think we have two 20 goal a season strikers - Let's be generous - Magennis 15, Holmes 15, Watt 10, Foster Caskey 8, Bauer 5, Pearce 5 others 12 - with that we just scrape 70 -Of course a stronger defence will cut the number you need a bit - but it is a simple way of gauging how you might do. I think I am being on the upper end of generous - would feel much better if I was being realistic.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Yet crazily was our Player of the Year that season.

Wonder how many other clubs have won promotion and for their Right-Back to be the best player
  • Options
    I reckon JFC could really shine this season. Hopefully they'll manage to add one or two more permanent signings by the end of August. League One looks interesting this season, with the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, and then probably challenges from the likes of Pompey, Posh and Southend, but no reason why CAFC shouldn't be aiming for top 6 or top 2.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ross said:

iaitch said:

And also Leon Clarke.

Edit - or did he join us the following season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017

iaitch said:

Wonder how many other clubs have won promotion and for their Right-Back to be the best player
    I thought he scored a screamer in an away game. But Solly deserved the allocade amongst stiff opposition. Not every player has to have goals in them but it is something you have to factor into the balance of a side.

With full backs, I would be more interested in assists than goals.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

iaitch said:

I thought he scored a screamer in an away game. But Solly deserved the allocade amongst stiff opposition. Not every player has to have goal sin them but it is something you have to factor into the balance of a side.

With full backs, I would be more interested in assists than goals.
    Yeah that was Blackpool the following season in the Championship. Did he even get that many assists? - From what I remember he was just one of many rocks in that standout season, very little got past him down that side
  • Options
    Oh yes - remember it now. I do recall Solly was an important part of our attacking play as well as defensively. We had enough others getting the goals.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    There was a comment on another spread implying that Hollands wasn't a great signing -Not slagging him off but saying he was ok - simply because League One was his level. The fact is, he got 8 goals for us that promotion season - so was a bloody brilliant signing. It amazes me how some people don't get it.

Hodgson in the Euros faced the same problem, one nil down against Wales, he solved it by overloading the team with strikers. Not the ideal solution, but desperate timesand it worked! He then proceeded to forget what you would have hoped this would have told him! I don't claim to be as good a manager as Hodgson, but he was stupid in that respect and Southgate doesn't seem to get it either I fear!

I co manage my son's team and we took over last season. The team we took over had a few issues and one of them was scoring goals. We have sorted that for this season and I expect to win the league. I'm sticking my neck out there I know. When I played, I know the successful teams had goals in them. It is almost more a mathematical rule - and applies to all levels. The difference if is if you put a player who hardly ever scored from a professional team into a Sunday league team, they would probably be the top scorer in the league! Maybe because it is more common sense and statistical than about football ability is why it seems to pass so many managers by.
  • Options
    Back to JFC, Bowyer spoke to him a few times on Tuesday. Still early days for him as a coach but he certainly knows how to grab goals from midfield so nice if JFC can take that on board.
  • Options

Ross said:

iaitch said:

And also Leon Clarke.

Edit - or did he join us the following season?
    He was with us, but I'm sure he scored. Could be wrong mind you.
  • Options
    from the few games I saw him last season he's about as much use as a chocolate tea pot
  • Options
    Did I dream it or did I read in the Norwich match thread that he did his hamstring?

Everything OK, then? Hope so. Never actually seen him for us, but we need fit players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did I dream it or did I read in the Norwich match thread that he did his hamstring?

Everything OK, then? Hope so. Never actually seen him for us, but we need fit players.

Nope I definitely read that was the reason he was taken off too
  • Options
    Ross said:

iaitch said:

I was thinking of the core of the team that played most matches Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Taylor, Wiggins, Green, Wagstaff, Hollands, Stephens, Jackson, BWP, Yann and Hayes.

If I'm being pedantic with myself then I should include Hamer as a non goal scorer.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Ross said:

iaitch said:

I was thinking of the core of the team that played most matches Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Taylor, Wiggins, Green, Wagstaff, Hollands, Stephens, Jackson, BWP, Yann and Hayes.

If I'm being pedantic with myself then I should include Hamer as a non goal scorer.
    Matt Taylor didn't score in the league.

Now I'm being pedantic myself :smile:
  • Options
    I see him a bit like Jackson before he signed permanently. He's more of an all rounder rather than having a few stand out areas of his game. Like Jackson he'll be a lot more valuable to the team if he can add goals to his game. It would also take some pressure off the front 4.
  • Options
    I want to see SDAddick's 'predicted number of goals by each Charlton player' again, think JFC is already well on his way to his haha
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Spoke to him before the Bristol Rovers game and mentioned to him that I'd backed him for first goal. He said he has been told to get in the box a bit more this season.

Scored a couple at the back end of last season so that's 4 goals in his last 5 games (and a missed penalty as well)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thought JFC looked bang average for large chunks of last season. Think he has been brilliant in the 2 home games I've seen him this season. Fair play to the lad, hope he keeps up the good work.