Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Peterborough - Match Thread / Post Match Views

Comments

• Ketman said:

I have heard that Congo Chris was put in charge of Set pieces Defending & attacking. The Back four to be fair has been steady this season but Watching the first goal go in I thought that's one we would not normally concede.

Tbf Lookman came up with a free kick I've never seen before.
    LOOK ABOVE !
  • Phillips: blameless
    Konsa: asking a teenage centre half to play as an attacking full back is a tough tough task but he didn't make much of a job of it however much slack we'd want to cut him
    Fox: far from the worst on display the cheering when he was subbed was cnuttish
    Teixeira: maybe he's rusty, maybe he doesn't give a shit, which after his treatment shouldn't be surprising
    Bauer: definitely looks rusty
    Botaka: ability but no pace and poor decision making - far from the worst
    Crofts: really not very good
    Ulvestad: left hopelessly exposed by the inadequates all around
    Lookman: petulant, juvenile, embarassing you're 19 not 9 FFS
    Magennis: hamstrung by KR's idiotic initial setup no service at any time, tirelessly willing, a solitary beacon in red
    Ajose: shameful shameful shameful like a shrunken Jimmy Fat Hasselwank - just go away
  • I would disagree with Phillips being blameless. He should have come for the cross on the first goal, it was close enough to him. At least make the Posh player think twice about getting a fist in his ear.
  • Missed It said:

I would disagree with Phillips being blameless. He should have come for the cross on the first goal, it was close enough to him. At least make the Posh player think twice about getting a fist in his ear.

Didnt someone who attends the U23 games that its an area of Phillips' game that he doesnt do? (i.e. He's one of these 'keepers who stays on his line for set pieces rather than coming to claim them because he's not the biggest of lads).

I felt out of the two he should have left his goal sooner for the second and so making the target smaller
  • Missed It said:

I would disagree with Phillips being blameless. He should have come for the cross on the first goal, it was close enough to him. At least make the Posh player think twice about getting a fist in his ear.

Didnt someone who attends the U23 games that its an area of Phillips' game that he doesnt do? (i.e. He's one of these 'keepers who stays on his line for set pieces rather than coming to claim them because he's not the biggest of lads).

I felt out of the two he should have left his goal sooner for the second and so making the target smaller
    It was a good cross, so he needed to make the decision to go for it early. In the end he made no decision at all. I wouldn't blame him for the second, the defenders in front of him need a roasting for that.
  • Missed It said:

Missed It said:

It was a good cross, so he needed to make the decision to go for it early. In the end he made no decision at all. I wouldn't blame him for the second, the defenders in front of him need a roasting for that.
    The first goal was of Di Canio type quality FK, on the money, difficult for keepers to come for it,defenders to defend that.
    However the second one I do blame Phillips for not narrowing the angle at least, stood still inside the 6 year box it looked like until Taylor shot, poor coaching IMO.

I've not been to a worst game I don't think since the drab 84/85 season with Friday night games against Carlisle and Cardiff
  • Either way, I don't really hold Phillips responsible. His place in the first team is a result of the club selling all of its goalkeepers and not replacing them with proper, experienced players. He's not in there because he's good, he's in there because he's cheap and he's all we have left.
  • Missed It said:

Either way, I don't really hold Phillips responsible. His place in the first team is a result of the club selling all of its goalkeepers and not replacing them with proper, experienced players. He's not in there because he's good, he's in there because he's cheap and he's all we have left.

This is ridiculous. You're ridiculous.
  • Like, sure we were shit and our squad isn't good enough yet but calling our best player of the last few weeks 'cheap and all we have left' is frankly ludicrous
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Missed It said:

Either way, I don't really hold Phillips responsible. His place in the first team is a result of the club selling all of its goalkeepers and not replacing them with proper, experienced players. He's not in there because he's good, he's in there because he's cheap and he's all we have left.

The whole situation is ridiculous. I'm just joining in!!
  • Missed It said:

Leuth said:

Missed It said:

I'm not, I'm not posting anymore

D'oh
  • Missed It said:

Leuth said:

Missed It said:

D'oh
    would you like me to put up that Peters and Lee classic .. 'Welcome Home' ?
  • Missed It said:

Leuth said:

Missed It said:

D'oh
    I was so angry Saturday Lincs that i just wanted to walk away from anything to do with Charlton. I've calmed down now but the only games i will attend at the valley are the protest games
  • Missed It said:

Leuth said:

Missed It said:

D'oh
    I was so angry Saturday Lincs that i just wanted to walk away from anything to do with Charlton. I've calmed down now but the only games i will attend at the valley are the protest games
    Please can we have another protest, it's the only games with any atmosphere.
  • edited December 2016

Missed It said:

Leuth said:

Missed It said:

D'oh
    Please can we have another protest, it's the only games with any atmosphere.
    Maybe we should throw pigs on the pitch on Wednesday night. ;)
  • What was Adrian Durham like of Talksport today? I din't hear his show today.

Not because I didn't want to but I just wasn't in the car at the time.
  • Phillips had no chance with either goal and I'm quite frankly surprised that anyone thinks otherwise.
  • Leuth said:

Missed It said:

Let me clarify, I'm not exactly Grapevine and can be brief and somewhat blunt at times. Phillips is only playing because Rudd is injured, it doesn't matter how good or bad he is. As soon as Rudd is fit, Phillips is out of the side again no matter what. Rudd is on loan, paid a lot more and Norwich will get the hump if he isn't playing. Charlton are paying enough players to not play for Charlton as it is, they are not going to add another. There is no competition for the goalkeeping position at Charlton.

The club didn't have a senior goalkeeper until they signed Rudd at the beginning of August. Plan B, was Phillips. A 21 year old who had played zero games in the Football League. Who plays if Phillips is injured too? 19 year old Mitov gets recalled from the Ryman League? The multi-millionaire Duchatelet won't pay for experience or depth in the squad. He'd rather flog youth team players until they're ruined, like Ahearne-Grant. Phillips would be better off going back to Cheltenham to continue developing. The club aren't doing him any favours.

Having said all that, I just watched back the Posh match video (to make sure I wasn't being completely ridiculous!) and my initial reaction at the game that Phillips should have come for the ball was probably wrong. It was an excellent cross and he didn't have much of a chance after all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Phillips is a good keeper. He couldn't be blamed for Saturday's defeat and has been playing really well since he came in.
  • Missed It said:

Leuth said:

Missed It said:

Let me clarify, I'm not exactly Grapevine and can be brief and somewhat blunt at times. Phillips is only playing because Rudd is injured, it doesn't matter how good or bad he is. As soon as Rudd is fit, Phillips is out of the side again no matter what. Rudd is on loan, paid a lot more and Norwich will get the hump if he isn't playing. Charlton are paying enough players to not play for Charlton as it is, they are not going to add another. There is no competition for the goalkeeping position at Charlton.

The club didn't have a senior goalkeeper until they signed Rudd at the beginning of August. Plan B, was Phillips. A 21 year old who had played zero games in the Football League. Who plays if Phillips is injured too? 19 year old Mitov gets recalled from the Ryman League? The multi-millionaire Duchatelet won't pay for experience or depth in the squad. He'd rather flog youth team players until they're ruined, like Ahearne-Grant. Phillips would be better off going back to Cheltenham to continue developing. The club aren't doing him any favours.

Having said all that, I just watched back the Posh match video (to make sure I wasn't being completely ridiculous!) and my initial reaction at the game that Phillips should have come for the ball was probably wrong. It was an excellent cross and he didn't have much of a chance after all.
    By all accounts Cheltenham would pay him better as well. Can't see him sticking around which is a shame as he looks a great prospect.
  • rananegra said:

Missed It said:

Leuth said:

Missed It said:

By all accounts Cheltenham would pay him better as well. Can't see him sticking around which is a shame as he looks a great prospect.
    Why would he leave, when he'll probably be first choice, when Rudd returns to Norwich ?
  • edited December 2016
    Peterborough in their 4-4-2 Diamond again tonight, so it is their standard system. John Sheridan the Notts County manager has also gone with the diamond to match up. Only trouble is.... Posh are two up after 7 mins.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Peterborough in their 4-4-2 Diamond again tonight, so it is their standard system. John Sheridan the Notts County manager has also gone with the diamond to match up. Only trouble is.... Posh are two up after 7 mins.

You're fired !
  • edited December 2016
    Me or John Sheridan?

County doing well now. They've stopped Posh playing and caused a few problems.

Missed pen by Stead and bad miss by Hollis at the far post on a corner.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Me or John Sheridan?

County doing well now. They've stopped Posh playing and caused a few problems.

Missed pen by Stead and bad miss by Hollis at the far post on a corner.

You. You said we should have "matched up" Peterboro on Saturday :wink::wink:
  • edited December 2016
    So what would you have done then?
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

No idea. I leave the tactics to you. You're much better.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

No idea. I leave the tactics to you. You're much better.
    Shame, it's always good to hear an alternative theory.

Notts County are 38 places below Peterborough in the league. That might be relevant in the result. However despite an obvious lack of quality County have done well, missed pen, hit the bar, blah, blah, blah. Fact is, you can't allow two key midfielders to roam free, as we did on Saturday. Sheridan can see that, apparently The Micky and Congo Chris couldn't, which is worrying.