Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Peterborough - Match Thread / Post Match Views

Comments

• Sounds like we played like a team where the manager and coaches had been undermined by instructions from the owner as to who should be playing, and the players knew it. Oh wait....
  • redbuttle said:

All the coaches sat there in silence with the occasional comment coming from them. There seemed something wrong with them all.

That's a very interesting observation. Perhaps reality is dawning on Karl.image
  • Sounds like we played like a team where the manager and coaches had been undermined by instructions from the owner as to who should be playing, and the players knew it. Oh wait....

Hardly

That 11 (other than Konsa, Teixeira and Lookman) is the same 11 that beat Bristol Rovers 5-1. If he had left out Lookman for Chicksen, then the talk would have been that Lookman had been sold already and that RD had told Robinson to protect him, while most of this board has been screaming for Tex to play
  • edited December 2016
    jdmotion said:

LenGlover said:

Posting without reading.

The total Charlton end product comprised 1. a Magennis shot glancing the post, a deflection against the cross bar and 2. a Bauer header cleared off the line. That was it. Positively Sladeesque if that is not a contradiction in terms!

As is Slade's 3. A clumsy foul by Konsa and a free kick whereby the Charlton defence played 'after you Claude' and allowed Trafazolli a free header from point blank range.

1. Magennis's shot, technically, rebounded off the post. Had Ajose not been moaning that he hadn't been passed to, he might have pounced on it for the equaliser.

2. If it's the header I think you were referring to, the Bauer header wasn't cleared off the line. Ajose got in a tangle and missed it completely when it would have been easier to score. It was always going wide of the far post (we were right in line).

3. Konsa actually took the ball cleanly. From the side, not behind. But a risky tackle I guess.

Don't disagree with most of that. My principle point in mentioning the incidents was to highlight our lack of end product rather than analyse the actual incidents themselves.

1. Agree completely

2. Take your word on that. From my seat the midget Ajose was obscured by yellow shirted defenders and it looked like they cleared it.

3. Agree it was from the side but, as they say, 'often they're given' so a more experienced defender than Esri may have been more aware than to tackle like that in that area.
  • sammy391 said:

Just watched the goals... Tex completely take out of the picture for their second - then he almost walks back! Great goal however

Jorge Texiera is all over social media posting pictures of himself with the man of the match award that was given to him by one of the sponsors.

Stuff like this really pisses me off. We've just lost 2-0 at home and players like this only care about their own image.

Infuriating
  • We at times were trying too hard if anything.

You've got to be kidding. That was the laziest performance I've seen all season.

The only possible excuse could be that half the team were still suffering from the virus.
  • We at times were trying too hard if anything.

You've got to be kidding. That was the laziest performance I've seen all season.

The only possible excuse could be that half the team were still suffering from the virus.
    Would that be the Duchatelet syndrome?
  • That was yet another appallingly inept performance. More unforced errors in a match than I can ever remember.

We have been complaining about our powder-puff midfield for years, and yesterday was the pits: Crofts and Ulvestad by-passed again and again. And not always by quickly-worked triangles – just as often by a single Peterborough player advancing with the ball and brushing his opponent aside. Man beats boy. Botaka is another bystander left gawping; not one of our midfield has the guts to sprint ten yards and make a tackle.

Tex and Bauer have average ability for this poor division – yet neither roused himself to challenge a simple cross and header for the first goal. Konsa floundered badly in the second half, and Fox had another pitifully wretched game, littered with misplaced passes and hoofs to nowhere: basic failures to control the ball.

Lookman is not in any sense an accomplished player. He might skip past an opponent – then inexplicably give the ball away. You can see the cogs whirring in his head when he approaches the box, decision delayed by a vital instant: dispossessed. Wrong moves all over the pitch, turning into trouble when an option was open. More than once in the second half we had the ball with three men on the left wing and only one in the 18-yard box.

Magennis had an unusually weak game: a pass across goal would have been wiser than his shot against the post from a tight angle. Botaka's deflected shot hit the bar – yet the official stats confirm we had not one single attempt on target in the whole 90 minutes. Magennis headed down for Ajose, unchallenged 10 yards out, who blasted the ball into the stands. Again.

When Edwards sliced through our central midfield and defence, leaving three players for dead and rifling a hard shot past Phillips, we in the Covered End broke into spontaneous applause. Skill, power and accuracy – can you imagine any of our players being capable of that?

And a final flourish in the last minute: Lookman steps up to take a free-kick, slips over, and the ball dribbles 10 yards to an opponent. Pure slapstick.

New manager: four games, no wins, one goal. We are a rag-bag bunch of buskers: individually weak and collectively clueless. We need better players – urgently.

Spot on.
  • The trouble with @Viewfinder is that he always comes out with the same flowery, disparaging remarks even if we're playing well so I, for one, can't take his comments seriously. I've taken to 'LOLing' his comments because of that. Unfortunately, when we play like we did yesterday he's pretty close to the mark. Depressing thought that.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016
    Rob said:

The trouble with @Viewfinder is that he always comes out with the same flowery, disparaging remarks even if we're playing well so I, for one, can't take his comments seriously. I've taken to 'LOLing' his comments because of that. Unfortunately, when we play like we did yesterday he's pretty close to the mark. Depressing thought that.

The key is when he starts analysing our throw ins that's a p*sstake, when they are not mentioned he's pretty close to being on the money :wink: .
  • It shows how low we have sunk when VFs last few post match reviews have been fairly spot on.
  • Rob said:

The trouble with @Viewfinder is that he always comes out with the same flowery, disparaging remarks even if we're playing well so I, for one, can't take his comments seriously. I've taken to 'LOLing' his comments because of that. Unfortunately, when we play like we did yesterday he's pretty close to the mark. Depressing thought that.

The other problem with Viewfinder is that he always praises the opposition for qualities that we supposedly lack, then claims that League One is shit.
  • edited December 2016

It shows how low we have sunk when VFs last few post match reviews have been fairly spot on.

There is invariably more than a grain of truth in what he says but he does have a tendency to get carried away with his own rhetoric and prose some weeks which can diminish the points he wants to make.

Yesterday though is a fair assessment in my view other than perhaps being too harsh re Fox.
  • Don't tell anyone.
    Just found out the players had their Christmas Party on Friday night.
  • Ajose is poor in his games for Charlton.
    Swindon fans were gutted to loose him as they thought he was fantastic.
    Answers please?
  • Don't tell anyone.

Didn't happen did it. Made up
  • edited December 2016
    If you look at Ajose stats from previous seasons last season looks very much like a one off....i don't think he is as good as he thinks he is not much movement ,always wants the ball exactly to his feet does not run into space and gets the right hump if someone shoots instead of playing him in ....saying that hopefully he comes good !!!
  • Don't tell anyone.

Didn't happen did it. Made up
    They played like it did.
  • Don't tell anyone.

That explains the pics on Facebook of one of our fans with KR in Greenwich on Friday night......
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:

I went yesterday and can honestly say I haven't been so depressed and angry at a game for ages. I have not sworn so much either. Anyway,what I noticed was that there talking on the bench. All the coaches sat there in silence with the occasional comment coming from them. There seemed something wrong with them all.

There was something up yesterday more than just a woeful performance. Players arguing almost from the 1st whistle. Something happened this week, don't know what but something did. Maybe one of Roly's famous team selection emails?.......
  • That was yet another appallingly inept performance. More unforced errors in a match than I can ever remember.

We have been complaining about our powder-puff midfield for years, and yesterday was the pits: Crofts and Ulvestad by-passed again and again. And not always by quickly-worked triangles – just as often by a single Peterborough player advancing with the ball and brushing his opponent aside. Man beats boy. Botaka is another bystander left gawping; not one of our midfield has the guts to sprint ten yards and make a tackle.

Tex and Bauer have average ability for this poor division – yet neither roused himself to challenge a simple cross and header for the first goal. Konsa floundered badly in the second half, and Fox had another pitifully wretched game, littered with misplaced passes and hoofs to nowhere: basic failures to control the ball.

Lookman is not in any sense an accomplished player. He might skip past an opponent – then inexplicably give the ball away. You can see the cogs whirring in his head when he approaches the box, decision delayed by a vital instant: dispossessed. Wrong moves all over the pitch, turning into trouble when an option was open. More than once in the second half we had the ball with three men on the left wing and only one in the 18-yard box.

Magennis had an unusually weak game: a pass across goal would have been wiser than his shot against the post from a tight angle. Botaka's deflected shot hit the bar – yet the official stats confirm we had not one single attempt on target in the whole 90 minutes. Magennis headed down for Ajose, unchallenged 10 yards out, who blasted the ball into the stands. Again.

When Edwards sliced through our central midfield and defence, leaving three players for dead and rifling a hard shot past Phillips, we in the Covered End broke into spontaneous applause. Skill, power and accuracy – can you imagine any of our players being capable of that?

And a final flourish in the last minute: Lookman steps up to take a free-kick, slips over, and the ball dribbles 10 yards to an opponent. Pure slapstick.

New manager: four games, no wins, one goal. We are a rag-bag bunch of buskers: individually weak and collectively clueless. We need better players – urgently.

We also was apparently in for Edwards when he was at Crawley Town but Peterborough beat us to him!
  • It was never as bad as that for that length of time during a game under Slade at the Valley. Up there with Swindon though a game that got Slade sacked.
  • Rob7Lee said:

redbuttle said:

I went yesterday and can honestly say I haven't been so depressed and angry at a game for ages. I have not sworn so much either. Anyway,what I noticed was that there talking on the bench. All the coaches sat there in silence with the occasional comment coming from them. There seemed something wrong with them all.

There was something up yesterday more than just a woeful performance. Players arguing almost from the 1st whistle. Something happened this week, don't know what but something did. Maybe one of Roly's famous team selection emails?.......
    Interesting. Is COL getting his feet under the table? Is KR being undermined already?
  • went to the game on saturday with a mate the last home game i was out was brentford last season, and i was shocked at how empty north upper was, i mean even a couple of seasons ago it would of been busy but now it was v depressing up there, those that have shelled out for a season ticket fair play to you, but i wont be back with the exception of millwall until theyve gone, will continue to do away games, footballing wise we were appauling, and wednesday will be 2 very bad sides fighting it out, play like we did on saturday 3-0 wall and about a 3 hour wait to leave the ground - the joys of being a charlton fan.
  • I have heard that Congo Chris was put in charge of Set pieces Defending & attacking. The Back four to be fair has been steady this season but Watching the first goal go in I thought that's one we would not normally concede.
  • Swerved this, glad I did. Had plans to go with a mate from up north, but he couldn't come in the end.

Had work do Friday night, and remembered to check the results at 5 on Saturday. TBH I think I'm done, didn't get a ticket for the Spanners and will be off on Thursday so won't have to take their stick. Can't see us getting anything there. Was prepared to give KR a chance, to see if our idiot owners had learned somehow not to throw their money away. It may be too early but reading this lot, I'm not so sure.

Was drinking with a couple of Palace on Saturday night. They've sussed out Pardew and are not happy, but they lost 1-0 at home to the best team currently in the country. We lost 2-0 at home to a fairly average well-organised L1 team.

The next football match I am definitely going to will be an outing to Greenwich Borough v Faversham in Feb, as I have a mate who supports Faversham. There's a number of us going, and I am looking forward to seeing Bradley Pritchard play again. Thoroughly depressing time to be an Addick.

• edited December 2016

went to the game on saturday with a mate the last home game i was out was brentford last season, and i was shocked at how empty north upper was, i mean even a couple of seasons ago it would of been busy but now it was v depressing up there, those that have shelled out for a season ticket fair play to you, but i wont be back with the exception of millwall until theyve gone, will continue to do away games, footballing wise we were appauling, and wednesday will be 2 very bad sides fighting it out, play like we did on saturday 3-0 wall and about a 3 hour wait to leave the ground - the joys of being a charlton fan.

I think, yet again, the poor decision to make the lower North the place for cheaper S/T's has meant quite a few re-located down and that leaves the top depleted which leads to a poor atmosphere as that's where most of the loud support comes from. Suspect they did it to try and minimise the 'Roland Out' chants but think its backfired in terms of vocal team support. Another great decision - huh.
  • Ketman said:

I have heard that Congo Chris was put in charge of Set pieces Defending & attacking. The Back four to be fair has been steady this season but Watching the first goal go in I thought that's one we would not normally concede.

by Roland? Would explain comments on this thread and others about the demeanor of both players and KR on Saturday.