Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Peterborough - Match Thread / Post Match Views

Charlton Athletic v Peterborough United
Saturday 17th December 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction

2016 hasn’t been the best of years for the Addicks; a total of five men have taken charge of the Addicks this year which saw us begin with Karel Fraeye and end with current boss Karl Robinson and as we approach the festive period of the season you’d hope that at least three of them have been wise men yet that clearly hasn’t been the case.

This Saturday sees the Addicks play host to Peterborough United are the visitors in what will be our twenty first and final competitive league game at the Valley this calendar year. It began with a 1-1 draw in the Championship against Nottingham Forest, let’s end it on a high and go into 2017 praying that the new year will be better for all Addicks fans… It’s the time of year for miracles after all.

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United | Manager: Grant McCann
Ground: London Road

Our opponents this Saturday don’t seem to enjoy playing their hosts… Only on one occasion have the Posh ever won in the League against Charlton which ironically came at the Valley back in 1993, since that day the roles have been reversed with the Addicks loving every minute of playing their opponents. Our last outing (coming in the League Cup) saw Ahmed Kashi scoring from the half-way line in what was a 4-1 victory whilst on two further occasions the Addicks have managed to put five past the Posh.

This Saturday though things might be slightly different; ex-Footballer, now Manager: Grant McCann will be a familiar face to Josh Magennis after their International days with Northern Ireland today and with McCann in his first Managerial appointment he’s certainly impressing… Just six defeats have been inflicted on his side this season with their last coming at the end of November against Scunthorpe United, they occupy sixth in the league and so the final Play-Off spot. If the Addicks want to reach the Play-Offs this season themselves, victory this Saturday is surely a must.

Charlton Team News
Is a bit difficult to predict the team at the moment after illness swept through the squad last week yet with many players rested for the cup match against MK Dons on Tuesday night Robinson will surely have a stronger choice of players available than what he had against Bradford City.

In defence; Chris Solly remains injured and has been joined by Jason Pearce in the treatment room… Patrick Bauer though will return from suspension and will surely be partnered by Jorge Teixeira who made his first league appearance (albeit from the bench) against the Bantams… Neither Andrew Crofts nor Frederik Ulvestad travelled to Milton Keynes so should hopefully return this Saturday whilst Joe Aribo could be in line for an spot on the bench.

Phillips
Foley | Bauer | Teixeira | Fox
Lookman | Crofts | Ulvestad | Chicksen
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Mitov | Johnson | Lennon | Botaka | Jackson | Aribo | Hanlan

Prediction
I’m hoping that our historical form against Peterborough will see yet another win for the Addicks yet football seems to laugh at those kind of stats… If this was an away match I’d be happy with a draw yet at home against our Play-Off rivals we need to win!!

Comments

• Robinson surely has to conjure a victory here or Roland will be sharpening his axe.

What odds on farmer Patrick getting sent off?
  • edited December 2016
    A bit of a must win .. I'm not sure if our impressive record against the Posh is a good or bad sign .. have we got them under our spell or is the tide about to turn (excuse the mixed metaphors etc.) .. Robinson needs to stop grinning and gurning and start his new charges gaining some wins

I'd like to see the team that played most of the Bradford game start, i.e. Tex in for Pearce, and we MUST start quickly, all too often we start the game in a kind of trance and only wake up when we go 1 down

T'will not be easy

CAFC errrrrrrr 1 (not again) v Peterborough United 1
  • Is Botaka injured? If not I'd have him on the bench ahead of Johnson, not sure why we'd need 2 centre backs and Foley
  • Konsa is suspended
  • shirty5 said:

Konsa is suspended

thanks for that .. still no Solly so that must mean Foley comes back .. let's wish him all the very best
  • 1st home game of the season for me as me and a few pals decided to stop boycotting and go just for a piss up really, need a win more for kr's sake.
  • shirty5 said:

Konsa is suspended

Thanks didnt realise... Guess Tuesday was his fifth yellow card of the season?
    sam3110 said:

Is Botaka injured? If not I'd have him on the bench ahead of Johnson, not sure why we'd need 2 centre backs and Foley

I'd forgotten about him when writing the bench and have added him to the bench but dont forget he appeared to get hurt (going by Twitter) shortly after Extra-Time began on Tuesday so wouldnt be surprised if that keeps him out.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0. Hold on I meant home win 2-1.
  • Off the top of my head, I think Peterborough are the only side I've seen us score 5 against twice- Garry Nelson's first and only career hat trick in the mid-90's, and another 5-1 at London Road under Parky.

Surely the perfect opponents for Karl Robinson to celebrate reaching the quarter mark in his tenure as Addicks manager.

We'll win 2 - 1, whilst Millwall will get beaten comprehensively at Scunthorpe. Ridiculously outlandish and overly optimistic predictions about our trip to The Toolbox will follow over the next few days:

"Can see us grinding out a 1-1 draw"
    "Definitely think we can hold out for a 0-0"
    "We're gonna nick a 1-0, I can feel it in my bones"
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 1h1 hour ago
    KR | "More positively, we should have Freddie, Crofty, Josh Magennis and maybe Declan Rudd back on Saturday. #cafc
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 1h1 hour ago
    KR | "Jason will be out for 12-15 weeks. Lee Novak is having a scan on his knee today. Solly and Holmes are still in recovery mode. #cafc
  • With Dillon Phillip's excellent performances over the last few games - will Rudd come straight back in if fit? (as he is according to KR)
  • I'd be really disappointed if Phillips was dropped in favour of a loanee keeper given the form he's in.
  • 3-2 to CAFC, Tex with one of the goals
  • MrLargo said:

Off the top of my head, I think Peterborough are the only side I've seen us score 5 against twice- Garry Nelson's first and only career hat trick in the mid-90's, and another 5-1 at London Road under Parky.

Surely the perfect opponents for Karl Robinson to celebrate reaching the quarter mark in his tenure as Addicks manager.

We'll win 2 - 1, whilst Millwall will get beaten comprehensively at Scunthorpe. Ridiculously outlandish and overly optimistic predictions about our trip to The Toolbox will follow over the next few days:

"Can see us grinding out a 1-1 draw"
    "Definitely think we can hold out for a 0-0"
    "We're gonna nick a 1-0, I can feel it in my bones"

I'm going to the Scunny/'Wall game and looking forward to it .. Scunny's form has dropped off lately and Millwall are so inconsistent ..
  • Can't make this one , so obviously a Charlton win 2-1 . Lookman and Texeira for us .
  • Must win game. If you're serious about promotion, you gotta beat those around you at home. If we don't win here, Robinson will go back to MK Dons winless in his first five (we obviously won't beat Millwall). The pressure will build.

Phillips
    Foley Bauer Tex Fox
    Lookman Crofts Ulvestad Chicksen
    Magennis Ajose

Hard fought 2-0 win, Tex and Lookman.
  • Not sure that Ajose deserves a start at the mo. Hanlon?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hanlan has looked considerably more useless and less likely to score than Ajose
  • Hanlon looked nowhere near up to it when he came on against Bristol rovers
  • Not sure that Ajose deserves a start at the mo. Hanlon?

I would play Botika right wing and Lookman up top.
  • I've boycotted every home game so far. It would be good to know whether it's worth coming along to this one.

My uncle is over from America who I haven't seen in about 15 years, tempted to bring him to the Valley for a day out. Have our home games been as bad as the match threads make out or is it worth breaking the habit for this one game?
  • andyg90 said:

I've boycotted every home game so far. It would be good to know whether it's worth coming along to this one.

My uncle is over from America who I haven't seen in about 15 years, tempted to bring him to the Valley for a day out. Have our home games been as bad as the match threads make out or is it worth breaking the habit for this one game?

Bring him. It will be Robinson 's first victory.
    He will be able to say i was there
  • andyg90 said:

I've boycotted every home game so far. It would be good to know whether it's worth coming along to this one.

It'll be worth having some 'man time' with your Uncle.

Just make sure you pay as little as possible for a ticket.
  • Surely Chicksen needs to start at left back?
  • edited December 2016

Surely Chicksen needs to start at left back?

I reckon Robinson will be singing...

"Chicksen, Chicksen, Chicksen, play left back for me!"

All right, I'm fooking off!

2-1 to the Addicks
  • Damning indictment there.
  • Rudd should start if fit
    Fancy a home win, 2-1