Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Peterborough - Match Thread / Post Match Views

Comments

• Well beaten by a side I'd rate as just above average. There seems little fight in this side without JJ & Solly. I would not be disappointed if any of today's team ever play for us again, on that performance if any club offers 10 Bob for Lookman I would take it.
  • Well done to all the twats for booing Fox's substitution. High levels of intelligence on show at The Valley today.

Dont agree with the booing of any Charlton player(except rojo of course) ,Fox was no worse today than ajose,crofts,botaka to name a few,we all know it doesnt help. Its not Foxs fault,or ajoses or any of the others,theyre just not good enough or consistent enough,thats the bottom line and when we play the way we did today then they are the players that will get the most stick unfortunately. As for the game,apart from the 1st 10 minutes of each half we were shit. Couldve been unjustly leading 2-1 after 55 minutes but for the post and crossbar,only to find ourselves 2 down a few minutes later. Not good enough and we are miles off being good enough to challenge for the play offs.
    It wasn't the post and crossbar that stopped us being 2-1 up, it was the players missing the 24ft x 8ft goal. Hitting the post or crossbar isn't bad luck, it's a miss.
  • Tutt-tutt's analysis is spot on as usual. Posh played through us so easily it was embarrassing. It's quite worrying actually. There isn't any earth-shattering, innovative insight in his assessment of the game and yet Charlton's latest new manager seemed incapable of recognising the problems and addressing them.
  • Ten minutes in each half is not enough to win a game. Forget about the ref, forget about the 2 shots against the woodwork, we were second best.

Konsa is not a right back, so play Foley. Chicksen looked decent so play him left back.

That's a side not good enough to make the playoffs.

• edited December 2016
    Consistency in performance week to week is what separates players from the upper two leagues and the one we are in. Robinson has come in full of bluster about what he can, will, and wants to do.
    At the moment there seems to be a huge gulf between what he says at every media opportunity and what is being delivered.
    It's far too early in the day to write him off, but he REALLY needs a positive result from the next game. And clear signs of momentum following on from what would be a bit of a morale boosting game.
    Strangely, I really fancy us to win the next game, but I am not sure KR will be able to follow it up with the sort of results run we need.
    Thus far, Nugent looks like he might have been a better choice, but a few wins would obviously alter that feeling.
    Over to you Karl.
  • I know it was poor defending but their 2nd goal was fabulous
  • Edwards goal reminded me of that story in the bible about when Moses crossed the red sea after God ( aka Mendonca ) parted the seas for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:

If there are any tossers on here who booed Fox, would you have booed Lookman? Serious question.

masicat said:

If there are any tossers on here who booed Fox, would you have booed Lookman? Serious question.

masicat said:

O

Totally agree. Well said

• Thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • On today's performance Lookman would be lucky to get into a Sunday league team, just about everything he did went wrong. Hopeless free kicks, couldn't pick a pass and hardly beat a player.

Worse than all that however was his couldn't care less attitude and lazy performance, get an offer anywhere near £8m, bite their hand off.
  • 1StevieG said:

Edwards goal reminded me of that story in the bible about when Moses crossed the red sea after God ( aka Mendonca ) parted the seas for him.

Embarrassing seeing an opposing player go past so many red shirts like a knife through butter, he should've been dealt with taken out just past the centre circle.
  • On today's performance Lookman would be lucky to get into a Sunday league team, just about everything he did went wrong. Hopeless free kicks, couldn't pick a pass and hardly beat a player.

Worse than all that however was his couldn't care less attitude and lazy performance, get an offer anywhere near £8m, bite their hand off.

Does it matter ? the money goes in the douch bags pocket, not to the club.
  • Jeeze, that was dross. They seemed sharper and passed to each other whereas we kept giving the ball away. Nothing came off for Lookman, nothing! Botaka would look good but then choose a wrong option. Konsa far too casual. Even Josh had a poor game. We need a midfield general and Crofts is not good enough for this very important role. Fred should not have been taken off. Why did Ajose stay on? Mid-table at best.
  • I don't think Fox was good enough in the championship, after 50 years I have given up going so don't know how he has been playing this season but apparently Chickson has looked pretty good. End of the day we are stuck with players who aren't good enough for one reason. Look to Belgium
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

So, Posh came with a 4-4-2 diamond formation and we looked clueless on how to play against it. Forrester (8) at the base of the diamond ran the game and Taylor (10) ran riot at the tip. Why didn't we recognise their positions and pick them up man-for-man? Why didn't we adjust our formation to match up? With Lookman and Botaka playing wide, we often had 2 v 4 in the central areas and they just played through us. FFS, wake up!

What a miserable afternoon. Well beaten by a tactically superior, better organised, fitter and better structured team. Robbo me ol china, stop the rabbiting now and get it sorted. EIther the scouting reports or your tactics were horribly wrong. The Stan Boardman routine ain't gonna work without results.

Our season in a nutshell. We have some players with decent ability, but we're constantly overrun in midfield by teams who are quicker, fitter, and better organized. To be fair to Robinson, this is a problem he inherited. To also be fair, it's a problem that, as you point out, in least in terms of scouting opposition he has the ability to fix and he has not.

Every team in the league knows to outnumber us in midfield and they'll get a result.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have seen Sunday league players better than Crofts, Ajose, Fox and Lookman today.

Awful performance and we really need a lot of reinforcements in January.

Agreed.
  • Been out of the country for two months so first home game for a while. Sad at the small numbers walking down to the ground and depressed by lack of atmosphere once inside. The Posh brightened the gloom with their high vis strip and efficient, physical approach. But why did it appear at times there were two more yellow shirts on the pitch than red?

The first half was gruesome. Lookman is already on the Mersey, a shadow of the young prodigy we first enjoyed.

Botaka was another give it away merchant, running into dead ends, allowing the opposition to launch yet another counter attack.

For the first five in the second, Robinson's half time lecture sparked some attacking verve and our front two actually got into the game.

But Magennis chose the glory route, hitting the post, rather than set up his striking partner.

Botaka also hit the wood work and was playing better but was then taken off.

Various full backs get it in the neck on this site, but both goals came about because our much lauded centre halves both failed spectacularly, once in the air and then on the ground.

The new manager has his work cut out to lift this lot and actually get them passing the ball to each other. Very depressing.

• The worst I've seen Charlton play all season. I've never seen Ajose play well yet. Fox.. I'm sorry but he keeps getting caught out of position, and twice when he was up field ,they were attacking down the left back area he didn't bust a gut getting back.Botaka is like one of those guys you have a kick- about in the park,who wants a bit of personal glory.Saying that he's definitely got natural ability,but he doesn't use it properly.Lookman has quick feet and is definitely our best player,he is very lightweight and in this division gets some heavy hits,maybe in the Prem things aren't so physical.TBH I don't think he is anywhere near Prem level ATM. God awful it was,its becoming a morbid fascination seeing how bad things can get.Jesus wept.
  • I know it was poor defending but their 2nd goal was fabulous

Agreed.

We were poor in the first half. Konsa gave away the free kick that led to their goal. We played some elegant fussy stuff that led nowhere and Peterborough seemed able to use all the space on the pitch effectively. Second half we were better and put a lot of pressure on them - hitting the post (Magennis) + bar (Botaka) + side netting (Magennis). Ajose also got in the way of a header from us that was going in.

But this was more often than not lacklustre stuff from a team that should have contained Peterborough quite easily. No idea why Robinson substituted Botaka and Ulvestad, both of whom looked pretty ok to me. Teixeira and Bauer were solid. Phillips made at least 2 good saves when left exposed. Magennis and Crofts both put in acceptable performances.

Our weak spots were Fox, Konsa and Ajose (who did little). Lookman? When he played his first half dozen games for us I assumed he was a brilliant talent. Now 12 months later he looks very over rated. Can't take set pieces. Can't really dribble. Occasional good move or pass but often 1-2-3 touches too many. On the basis of todays game he doesn't look worth any more than Magennis who cost £100k.

Maybe we missed Holmes?

As posted elsewhere, and given the RD modus operandi, I'm assuming Robinson will need to take 9 points from the next 6 games or he'll exit and it'll then be O'Loughlin's big moment.
  • Reality check time for me. I have been of the view that we're still a bigger fish in the pond we find ourselves in. It makes me pissed off that we are losing at home to Peterborough. Yes it is disrespectful, because they have been on great form, but we are Charlton. Just feel sad.

Not good enough Roland. Sort it out. PUT UP THE 'FOR SALE' SIGN!!!
  • Missed It said:

Tutt-tutt's analysis is spot on as usual. Posh played through us so easily it was embarrassing. It's quite worrying actually. There isn't any earth-shattering, innovative insight in his assessment of the game and yet Charlton's latest new manager seemed incapable of recognising the problems and addressing them.

This is all very true! But there is no one at Charlton at this present time who could play the tuff tacking centre mid we need! If you think there is please name one
  • I just thought of a positive to take out of that game. It was the 2 Santa's little helpers outside the club shop before the game. Well I wish it would be Christmas every effing day!