Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Peterborough - Match Thread / Post Match Views

Comments

• Sam lloyd said:

1StevieG said:

Is it true as suggested elsewhere that Robbo sat on the bench and O'Laughlin was orchestrating from touchline.

No.

Who was the tall bloke in the overcoat "managing" the team, whilst KR was sat down holding a piece of paper then ? #genuinelyinterested
    Robinson was in the overcoat. He did sit down with the coaches for a while in the second half. At this time nobody was in the technical area.
  • Crusty54 said:

Sam lloyd said:

1StevieG said:

Is it true as suggested elsewhere that Robbo sat on the bench and O'Laughlin was orchestrating from touchline.

No.

Who was the tall bloke in the overcoat "managing" the team, whilst KR was sat down holding a piece of paper then ? #genuinelyinterested
    Robinson was in the overcoat. He did sit down with the coaches for a while in the second half. At this time nobody was in the technical area.
    Should have gone to Specsavers, sam !
  • I honestly have no idea what we were trying to do today.
    If it was to play a slick high tempo attacking game we haven't got the players for it.
    We totally failed to deal with their midfield set-up and made a side with no real forward threat look good.
    Nobody came out with any credit, least of all the manager.
    Utterly depressing and what on earth was I thinking buying tickets for Millwall.

• We at times were trying too hard if anything.
  • Reading the thread, it sounded dreadful, dire, bad, appalling, ...

Was worse than that
  • Terrible defending, but their second goal was very good, and scored by the most Welsh sounding player ever, Gwion Dafydd Rhys Edwards...
  • First time I've been available and neither gone to the game or watched the match thread.

In a pub full of Charlton fans, I could not build support for us all going and watching the game

Wise move, I should have done the same :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• What is the opposite of a new manager bounce?

Dead cat splat?
  • I still think the league is pony and if we get a few new manager bounces we can be in the mix !!!

0% Top two ......... 35 % 3rd-6th ......... 40% 7th-12th ......... 25%13th-20th .......0% relegation
  • Can't wait for Viewfinders description of our academy products and Lookmans late attempt at putting the ball in to the danger area from that free kick
  • Having had a long journey home and all night to think about it, I still can't find the words to describe how bad we were. Posh may not be great, but they played as a team. The only entertainment was the near punch up at the end, and Lookman falling over as he attempted to take the free kick. Robinson was on his feet all game, but spent more time having a go at the fourth official than trying to sort his players out. Hanlan was stripped off for about eight minutes before he got on, poor kid must have been freezing. My only positive, the final whistle, and seeing Tex again for the first time since Orient. God knows how many million Lookman has taken off his fee with that performance!
  • Well Roland will be happy as Robinson brought on Hanlan and Aribo. I thought JJ would have been a much better choice to bring on when we are chasing the game and seemed like the only reason Aribo was brought on was for Robbo to say to Roland : Look mate, I'm playing new youngsters.

I don't know. Just so dubious about it all now. Woeful performance from all. Must do better at Millwall.
  • LenGlover said:

Posting without reading.

The total Charlton end product comprised 1. a Magennis shot glancing the post, a deflection against the cross bar and 2. a Bauer header cleared off the line. That was it. Positively Sladeesque if that is not a contradiction in terms!

As is Slade's 3. A clumsy foul by Konsa and a free kick whereby the Charlton defence played 'after you Claude' and allowed Trafazolli a free header from point blank range.

1. Magennis's shot, technically, rebounded off the post. Had Ajose not been moaning that he hadn't been passed to, he might have pounced on it for the equaliser.

2. If it's the header I think you were referring to, the Bauer header wasn't cleared off the line. Ajose got in a tangle and missed it completely when it would have been easier to score. It was always going wide of the far post (we were right in line).

3. Konsa actually took the ball cleanly. From the side, not behind. But a risky tackle I guess.

• jdmotion said:

LenGlover said:

Posting without reading.

The total Charlton end product comprised 1. a Magennis shot glancing the post, a deflection against the cross bar and 2. a Bauer header cleared off the line. That was it. Positively Sladeesque if that is not a contradiction in terms!

As is Slade's 3. A clumsy foul by Konsa and a free kick whereby the Charlton defence played 'after you Claude' and allowed Trafazolli a free header from point blank range.

1. Magennis's shot, technically, rebounded off the post. Had Ajose not been moaning that he hadn't been passed to, he might have pounced on it for the equaliser.

2. If it's the header I think you were referring to, the Bauer header wasn't cleared off the line. Ajose got in a tangle and missed it completely when it would have been easier to score. It was always going wide of the far post (we were right in line).

3. Konsa actually took the ball cleanly. From the side, not behind. But a risky tackle I guess.

There was also the Botaka shot which deflected of one of their defenders onto the bar
  • Has Nugent left the club? Having started to turn the oil tanker perhaps KR should take his advice on how it is done rather than mouthing silly platitudes to the Press.
  • Sponsored links:

• I still think the league is pony and if we get a few new manager bounces we can be in the mix !!!

0% Top two ......... 35 % 3rd-6th ......... 40% 7th-12th ......... 25%13th-20th .......0% relegation

Today was the day I became totally convinced that there was 0% chance of promotion this season.
  • If it's any consolation then we are equally pessimistic about Wednesday night. Just have a browse on one of our sites. We're not confident. Which is rare for a game v Charlton.
  • Crusty54 said:

Sam lloyd said:

1StevieG said:

No.

Thanks Crusty54, I stand corrected.
  • If it's any consolation then we are equally pessimistic about Wednesday night. Just have a browse on one of our sites. We're not confident. Which is rare for a game v Charlton.

To be honest, we're all so depressed after yesterday I'm not sure it is any consolation!
  • I went yesterday and can honestly say I haven't been so depressed and angry at a game for ages. I have not sworn so much either. Anyway,what I noticed was that there talking on the bench. All the coaches sat there in silence with the occasional comment coming from them. There seemed something wrong with them all.

To be honest, we're all so depressed after yesterday I'm not sure it is any consolation!
    Be prepared for an absolute shitter of a game then if yesterday is anything to go by.
  • sm said:

Has Nugent left the club? Having started to turn the oil tanker perhaps KR should take his advice on how it is done rather than mouthing silly platitudes to the Press.

Fear not, even if he has we still have Chris O'Loughlin to guide us to the play-offs with his behind-the-scenes skills and shameless weekly reports back to Roland.
  • That was yet another appallingly inept performance. More unforced errors in a match than I can ever remember.

We have been complaining about our powder-puff midfield for years, and yesterday was the pits: Crofts and Ulvestad by-passed again and again. And not always by quickly-worked triangles – just as often by a single Peterborough player advancing with the ball and brushing his opponent aside. Man beats boy. Botaka is another bystander left gawping; not one of our midfield has the guts to sprint ten yards and make a tackle.

Tex and Bauer have average ability for this poor division – yet neither roused himself to challenge a simple cross and header for the first goal. Konsa floundered badly in the second half, and Fox had another pitifully wretched game, littered with misplaced passes and hoofs to nowhere: basic failures to control the ball.

Lookman is not in any sense an accomplished player. He might skip past an opponent – then inexplicably give the ball away. You can see the cogs whirring in his head when he approaches the box, decision delayed by a vital instant: dispossessed. Wrong moves all over the pitch, turning into trouble when an option was open. More than once in the second half we had the ball with three men on the left wing and only one in the 18-yard box.

Magennis had an unusually weak game: a pass across goal would have been wiser than his shot against the post from a tight angle. Botaka's deflected shot hit the bar – yet the official stats confirm we had not one single attempt on target in the whole 90 minutes. Magennis headed down for Ajose, unchallenged 10 yards out, who blasted the ball into the stands. Again.

When Edwards sliced through our central midfield and defence, leaving three players for dead and rifling a hard shot past Phillips, we in the Covered End broke into spontaneous applause. Skill, power and accuracy – can you imagine any of our players being capable of that?

And a final flourish in the last minute: Lookman steps up to take a free-kick, slips over, and the ball dribbles 10 yards to an opponent. Pure slapstick.

New manager: four games, no wins, one goal. We are a rag-bag bunch of buskers: individually weak and collectively clueless. We need better players – urgently.

Your flights of fancy have been getting closer and closer to the mark Viewfinder. Spot on.