Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Maynard-Brewer - signed new contract to 2026 (p5)

Comments

• Options
    A shame for Ashley not making the squad but he's got many more chances to do so. It is most certainly good news for us.

Harry Isted - who has only had one impressive game thus far - looks some way from fitness and the prospect of Walker in goal is very worrying.
  • Options
    I imagine the decision was made based on long term benefit for Australia amd AMB.

If the plan was for hik to be 2nd or 3rd choice in the tourni, can see why they thought it best for his development to leave him playing at CAFC
  • Options
    Is this the start of the world realising AMB is not the next best goalkeeper ever? 
  • Options
     Gethin Jones in the squad is the one who plays for Bolton, who up until now has considered himself welsh

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/24006429.gethin-jones-australia-call-up-gives-bolton-wanderers-test/
    Gethin Jones is the most Welsh sounding name I’ve ever heard! 
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Has anybody heard him speak? Looking at the 2nd goal, he's just getting the ball out of the net with his head down like a schoolkid playing with people he knows he has zero influence/respect from. 
  • Options
    What was Isted’s injury again? Full season one?
  • Options
    He needs time out of the spotlight
  • Options
    He needs time out of the spotlight
    Isted is no better.
  • Options
    At fault for the last two goals. Hopeless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rubbish goalkeeper 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    He's just got back into training.
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Dizzle said:
    Knee scrambling back to prevent a goal as he’d advanced off his line IIRC and collided with post making the save.
  • Options
    The ball always seems to go past him..
  • Options
    AMB is a good summary of our team as a whole. Capable of moments of absolute brilliance but also capable of forgetting how to do the basics all in the same game. It's not really good enough as I think we'd be better off with a team of players who do the basics well consistently even if we lose the top end moments. I'm looking forward to Isted being available again
  • Options
    Someone said it mendonca said:
    Has anybody heard him speak? Looking at the 2nd goal, he's just getting the ball out of the net with his head down like a schoolkid playing with people he know he has zero influence/respect from. 
    100% this. He never speaks nor is spoken to. No high fives from his defence if he makes a save, no slaps on their backs from him if they save his bacon. He's utterly mute. He looks like a work experience kid. For me he's the main reason we are so leaky. The defence have no faith in him. And his ability to dive out the way of penalties is getting right on my nerves. 

Alas his only competition is that abomination who played against Cray. I'm afraid I lack the basic respect to even look his name up. So we are stuck. 
  • Options
    He's clearly got ability, but badly needs a personality transplant, as he's far too quiet . He needs to dominate his area AND his defenders, and I don't know how easy it is to coach that.
  • Options
    I've just found some interviews with him on YouTube. I'd agree with the post above.
  • Options
    I thought Istead was looking decent at the point he got injured, hopefully he’ll get back in when fit 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's clearly got ability, but badly needs a personality transplant, as he's far too quiet . He needs to dominate his area AND his defenders, and I don't know how easy it is to coach that.
    ok, but if he was a fantastic shot stopped and “dominated his area” would he really be playing in League One?

I think, for this division, he’s decent and we have much bigger issues in the squad where we have players who aren’t even good enough for this level. At a higher level his deficiencies would hold us back, but cross that bridge…
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    ok, but if he was a fantastic shot stopped and “dominated his area” would he really be playing in League One?

I think, for this division, he’s decent and we have much bigger issues in the squad where we have players who aren’t even good enough for this level. At a higher level his deficiencies would hold us back, but cross that bridge…
    Sorry... but he's not. He's got a decent save in him occasionally but that's about it and that's just not good enough. The defence is badly organised and indecisive as a whole - not completely his fault to be fair but he's certainly a contributory factor, and some of his decision making is just bizarre.

He looked useful when he first came in but I don't know if a string of unlucky injuries and collisions literally knocked the confidence out of him but a new keeper is definitely on the shopping list if we ever want promotion.
  • Options
    We need a good experienced goalkeeper as a starting block we do not have that at the club unfortunately. Every game I analyse the opposition goalkeeper against AMB and I find it hard to remember a really poor goalkeeper that has played against us most of them always make a few brilliant saves during the game and all seem to really be in tune with their defenders and are good on the ball and command their areas . My point is you would hope your goalkeeper would make some vital saves every match as in AMB case but he doesn’t have good distribution or command his area at all and I haven’t seen enough of Istead yet . We also lost our academy goalkeeper James Beadle to Brighton oh yes he is on loan to Oxford and looked quite good against the other week .
  • Options
    edited January 7
    I dont think hes good enough. There always seems to be panic around him, often in situations of his own making. Clearing the ball, or taking goal kicks is never straightforward, having the two centrebacks on the six yard box is ridiculous when he should just kick it himself. It often takes ages to get the ball to the opposition half. Theres no sense that he commands the goal area.
  • Options
    He made some v good saves today to keep us in it. Agree he’s not dominant enough though. But Istead isn’t either. 
  • Options
    It's funny because despite him dropping a couple of clangers, he was still one of our better players. Made some top saves to keep us in it until the end
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yes, Ben Hamer was a great shot stopper and commanded the area we'll, the amount of times even in a packed Valley you'd hear him scream "KEEPERS, UP, AWAY!!!!" or something similar, rising high to collect a cross. Phillips was loud too, and so were a couple of the other keepers we had. In fact I'd argue this is one of the few periods since Kiely where we don't have a decent keeper, the only other times that really stand out to me were Weaver, Thuram-Ulien, and MacGillivray. 
  • Options
    All this he doesn't get near a penalty crap. I have an idea, the people in front of him should stop giving them away softly!
  • Options
    Our current keepers aren’t good enough for a promotion team. Keep one as back up, but we need a better No.1 for next season’s mid table push…