Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Maynard-Brewer - signed new contract to 2026 (p5)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Should be taken out of the firing line, although I don't think Isted is an upgrade. Need a new keeper.
  • Options
    I believe Isted is an upgrade on AMB, is he good enough for a top six team maybe not but a better overall keeper for sure.

Did not really rate Wollacott either so not convinced we missed a trick by letting him go. 
  • Options
    That was arguably the worst performance I have seen from our keeper in a game that we did not lose. Only one I can think that would compare would be Thuram against QPR
  • Options
    I’ll be honest, I’m still confused as to why JoJo was allowed to go in the summer. With each passing week watching Ash in goal, strengthens my opinion. 
    It's all about the money money money.
    Probably got offered a fee for Woolacott & not AMB and gambled that AMB would improve this season to be as good.
    Scott got it wrong again.
    Most gambles to do with saving money have backfired.
    Yeah that's fair...also, this was a Holden decision, Scott wasn't at the club when JoJo was sold.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    I believe Isted is an upgrade on AMB, is he good enough for a top six team maybe not but a better overall keeper for sure.

Did not really rate Wollacott either so not convinced we missed a trick by letting him go. 
    Isted was good enough for a top 6 team a year ago
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:

Isted was good enough for a top 6 team a year ago
    8 clean sheets in 19 games for the team that finished 4th, but people watched him play 5 games for us (1 clean sheet) and that is enough for them to rule him out. AMB has 2 clean sheets in 24 appearances. 
  • Options
    I think a lot of the criticism of AMB has been a bit over blown. There’s no disputing that he had a very poor game yesterday though.

I think he does need taking out or the firing line but I wouldn’t hold your breath for a dramatic improvement from Isted. I didn’t see much in him
    when he started the season first choice.

Let’s not pretend Wollacott was anything special either. 

Players have a habit of going up in people’s estimation the longer they are out of the team. Truth is all three of them are mediocre. 
    Exactly how I see it.
  • Options
    I think a lot of the criticism of AMB has been a bit over blown. There’s no disputing that he had a very poor game yesterday though.

I think he does need taking out or the firing line but I wouldn’t hold your breath for a dramatic improvement from Isted. I didn’t see much in him

Players have a habit of going up in people’s estimation the longer they are out of the team. Truth is all three of them are mediocre. 
    Exactly this.

Remember the game where Wollacott came for a cross and got nowhere near it and a bloke headed into an empty goal? That was far from class 
  • Options
    edited January 28

Players always suddenly become better than they actually are when they're not playing... I thought Fraser's injury was the answer for our early season poor form after beating Leyton Orient  :#
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's very true and I'm honestly not convinced that Isted is necessarily a promotion level goalkeeper over a season. 

However, I cannot see any way that he can ne worse than AMB on current form.

Even if it really is just a case of being LESS bad,   it needs to be done.

• Options
    Fleming talked a lot of sense about taking Jones out of the firing line for a bit to reset the batteries. I hope he does the same for AMB. He’s making too many mistakes at the moment and needs time to regain his confidence.
  • Options
    I'm a huge fan of AMB - he's one of our own, he's made big saves at times this/last season and I still believe he will keep improving to become the keeper that many people (incl. myself) still think he can be. However, like so many of our Academy players, he's been thrust into a high pressure situation without the experience he needed before being made the number 1 here. He's making the mistakes now that should have been made out in Scotland/L2, where it doesn't matter to us and he can level up without errors that could cost us points. You have to always keep in mind that he is AT LEAST a season of full league experience behind where he should be for the amount of games he is starting for us, imho.

On balance, he has kept us in games but he's had several games where he's really looked out of place. I think that the criticism recently in particular is very fair, but I also think that a number of people have been jumping a little bit too much on his back. His mistakes, for me, come from not having a settled defence in front of him and a lack of leadership within that defensive unit too. His performances like on Saturday (and even several prior, tbh) have made the defenders worry and everything cyclically affects both his and the other defenders confidence to deal with situations. The downturn in form for some of the defenders is partially linked to his performances. He's got to look at himself and improve, but that's true of the whole defense as a unit.

It's time for Isted to come back if he's fit. I think he'll play against Derby and it'll be good for AMB and the other defenders. It's all part of the learning on the job he's had to do. Like others, I'd have probably preferred if we'd kept Wollacott, but that was the old regime and and they made plenty of weird decisions.

Oh, and the mask - I find it incredibly amusing just as a thing that our GK looks like a discount bank robber, but honestly, I don't think it's anything affecting his play to the degree some people make out. It's probably not ideal, but it may have just as many positives from allowing him the play his natural game and not get injured again. Discourse about this is not really that relevant.
  • Options
    Isted defo deserves a game, proved his worth to Barnsley last season. 
  • Options
    Isted hasn’t convinced me at all. Can’t comment re Ward. Reckon Ash has the makings of a decent keeper given the support and confidence to be more commanding. 

But

Goalkeeper, like full backs, is an area of huge opportunity. For a relatively small investment, you can get the best in the league. This fact seems to have passed us by for at least the past five - if not ten - years. Last time we had it was Solly - Hamer - Wiggins under SCP. 
  • Options
    Phillips, Dijksteel and Purrington were very good, not as good as the three under Bowyer but more then good enough, even if it was short-term
  • Options
    Phillips, Dijksteel and Purrington were very good, not as good as the three under Bowyer but more then good enough, even if it was short-term
    Agreed. Took us a while to get Purrington though. 
  • Options
    What about a return for Dillon Phillips?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    If we can't get him back in time for Saturday I've got you pencilled in for the gloves, Gribbo. You seem the vocal type who can get the defence organised. We've heard decent things about your shop over Grove Park way too. I'm sure you can replicate those throaty "read all about it" cries as you marshal the troops on Saturday. 
  • Options
    I'm unsure about Isted BUT he definitely deserves the chance to see what he can do. And this week, a full week for training, is the perfect time to work with him and the defence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    If we can't get him back in time for Saturday I've got you pencilled in for the gloves, Gribbo. You seem the vocal type who can get the defence organised. We've heard decent things about your shop over Grove Park way too. I'm sure you can replicate those throaty "read all about it" cries as you marshal the troops on Saturday. 
    Well, not one to blow me own trumpet.....
  • Options
    Not sure how FotMob work out their stats, but notice that AMB is 21st in the league for Goals Prevented. 
  • Options
    What a comforting sight for the opposition seeing the goalie you are playing against wearing a mask and full on head bandage. 

Hope he is okay of course?