Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match: Cheltenham 1-0 Charlton

Comments

• I've had sympathy from a Spanner at work as well. So at least 2 as I don't imagine he is Big_Bad_World. He can't seem to believe how bad things are and is always looking for the silver lining, like he told me going down to L1 was a shame but at least you get to win more games. I suppose we will win a game one day, but you do have to score a goal to do that.....

I've also had sympathy from a Nigel. This is playing about with my view of the world...
  • Absolutely dreading the Millwall games already and I mean more than usual.

I'm sure you'll have a different manager by then and a more optimistic outlook.
    Plenty of time for at least a couple of interims.
    For your, the fans, sake I hope not.

It may seem funny at times to those looking in, myself included, but the truth of the matter is that a decent family run club is being torn apart for no justifiable reason.

If it can happen to Charlton then it can happen to pretty much anyone which is why it's in the best interests of every fan in the football league for your owner to depart sharpish.
    That's it then. We have now sunk so low that we are getting sympathy from spanners.

;0)

'A' spanner :wink: I can't speak for all of our fans as I;m sure some will delight in your current situation. However, a lot of us will have sympathy for your plight, even if we do so with a wry grin on our faces (mainly because it will all sort itself out in due course and Roland will be but a small stain on your history).
    Kind words BBW but I suspect that the Belgians will be a huge unfortunate skid mark on our history, immovable with a boil wash and an indelible statement to the footballing world to choose your owners with care, not of course that that will be heeded...
  • Rudd: A couple of shaky moments early on, but there is no doubt he is a decent keeper.

Foley: Didn't really figure much

Fox: I'm not a big fan but he was probably MOM for me. There is no doubt that he hurts when we get results like this.

Konsa: Already better than some of the regular first teamers. A future payday for Roland

Johnson: We don't seem to win with him in the side - you tell me ?

Holmes: Very lively, takes on a man, runs into the box with the ball. No worries.

Crofts: Not up to scratch.

Jackson: His body language is awful - something is wrong somewhere.

Lookman: very good again, but the final product is eluding him

Ajose: Quiet in the second half, we need to set our tactics around him

Hanlan: Looks OK but is only a squad player. Don't expect miracles

Ahearne-Grant: Looked like he was playing in a U21 match at Sparrows lane

Holmes-Dennis - Ditto

In summary, we lack a cutting edge - mostly down to a toothless midfield, and we are also still making basic defensive errors. We need a Scott Parker type - gritty midfielder with an eye for a good forward pass.
    We are also short of height and muscle in some areas - essential in the lower leagues.

When the ball went in their net for the offside "goal" after 5 minutes, it looked like we were going to dominate, but we never really repeated that move again (Holmes on wing gets cross in, Hanlan knocks it down, Ajose taps-in).

If Looky is going to play as a provider, then he needs to release the ball earlier. His work rate was excellent, but he wanted to walk the ball into the net.

We seem to run out of attacking ideas after 10 minutes, then sit back and let teams come at us.

Northampton will have seen our 2 results and will come to The Valley without fear.

I would guess that the team has about 6 more games before they turn it in for the season, and Slade will be lucky to last after the 4-0 defeat away at the Spanners in October.

Overall verdict - any talk of play-offs is a joke.
  • As an Addick Exile and glos local I looked forward to this match with much anticipation. The morning after has left me feeling total despondent, I have been racking my brains to remember having seen a poorer Charlton performance over the years (first Valley match in 1964) and simply can't remember one. Holmes and Konsa were a breathe of fresh air, Lookman's cameo was clearly a shop window exercise and sadly the rest would struggle to get into my local village team on this showing. Credit to our on loan goalkeeper Rudd for calming the fans after the match eager for Johnson's blood but with tickets in hand for Walsall I fear the worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• “We want to win football matches and I thought we set our stool out quite well early on; it was a decent cup tie. "

I don't think Slade meant "stool" in this quote from Newshopper - but for once he was absolutely right.
  • Absolutely dreading the Millwall games already and I mean more than usual.

I'm sure you'll have a different manager by then and a more optimistic outlook.
    Plenty of time for at least a couple of interims.
    For your, the fans, sake I hope not.

It may seem funny at times to those looking in, myself included, but the truth of the matter is that a decent family run club is being torn apart for no justifiable reason.

If it can happen to Charlton then it can happen to pretty much anyone which is why it's in the best interests of every fan in the football league for your owner to depart sharpish.
    Funny you should say that.

Hate to admit it but I have got a really good Palace mate. As you can imagine, he was giving plenty of stick out at first but even he's stopped now as he said "it was funny at first but now I just feel really sorry for you being lumbered with those clowns (he had to get that one in) running your club".

Getting sympathy from a Parasite fan, in my eyes, is far worse than getting sympathy from a spanner!
  • Greenie said:

not been to either game so far this season so will reserve judgement until after Saturday..........

however , I will say that this is the lowest I have ever felt supporting this club , There are so may things wrong about the team I dont know where to start- lack of creativity, no squad depth, too many youngsters/too many aging players ( how many players in their prime do we have, ie between the ages of 25-30)

I learnt something new this week....in fact, 2.

Firstly I have lived on the s/r London & Kent border all my life (Bexley, Dartford,Gravesend,....) and have spent many years commuting into London. On Monday I had to see a client in E London. Stratford to be precise. Usually I drive to appts but this time I thought I would try the train. couldn't believe it. it took just 11 mins to get there from Ebbsfleet !! it takes that long to get to Dartford from nearby Gravesend ffs

that then led to the second point........the Olympic park - mores specifically, West Ham,. Couldn't believe how close it was to the station I have a premiership ground virtually on my doorstep - no parking problems, no train delays
    and (I would expect) plenty of available tickets.

sorry chaps,,,,I know where I will be going if we sink any lower.

Classy.
    Whats the expression? Oh yes, 'I'll drive you to the station myself".
    Typical Premiership Johnny come lately fan.
    Not having that mate. No way is Golfie a 'Johnny come lately' in any sense of the word. He was going from the late seventies, with me, and we schlepped backward and forward to Selhurst and Upton Park every home game and did the majority of the aways too. Even after the Prem years he was doing all the aways, including mid weeks, and we were still going even under Parky after relegation. You can level many things at him but a typical Premiership Johnny come lately fan he is certainly not. You'd do better not to judge people you don't even know.

Ok Large, fair enough. However one of the reasons I support 'our lot' it that nothing is given. I signed up for the bumpy ride many years ago. Ive seen us in the 3rd Division in the 70's and obviously a few years ago. You support your team through thick and thin, at the moment its thin, so any talk of going to the Hammers implies that CAFC is not in your soul, hence my comments.
    Well defended BTW, can you bring your boots on Saturday?
  • sm said:

“We want to win football matches and I thought we set our stool out quite well early on; it was a decent cup tie. "

I don't think Slade meant "stool" in this quote from Newshopper - but for once he was absolutely right.

It wasn't a decent cup tie, it was a terrible game to watch from a Charlton point if view.
  • Rudd was quite involved in taking to fans behind the goal after the game. He seems a good character.

And there in lays a problem in itself. The characters and those happy to help us in our situation shoot off after their loan. They do their career no harm, if not do it some good by playing well, and leave the Club. Those we are signing down to contracts are flipping useless, and if they're not useless they realise everything else is so they can't be arsed.
  • When we were relegated, Roland was left with two options. One to spend money and present a firm positive determination to climb back as an absolute priority. The one that he chose was to sell anyone that he could, pocket the money, and bring in lesser players to match League One. Recognising his entirely selfish thinking, it is important that forget any thoughts of Roland behaving any way other than a greedy bastard. At the moment we are heading towards oblivion, and the Club owes him millions.
    We must attack him using any legitimate means, CARD are now well established and needs our full support. It is unfortunately easier for people like me to try to live with it.
  • Granpa said:

When we were relegated, Roland was left with two options. One to spend money and present a firm positive determination to climb back as an absolute priority. The one that he chose was to sell anyone that he could, pocket the money, and bring in lesser players to match League One. Recognising his entirely selfish thinking, it is important that forget any thoughts of Roland behaving any way other than a greedy bastard. At the moment we are heading towards oblivion, and the Club owes him millions.
    We must attack him using any legitimate means, CARD are now well established and needs our full support. It is unfortunately easier for people like me to try to live with it.
    </blockqu

Great post Grandpa, and all sadly true.

• weve been embarassing ourselves for years in this comp

like that cracker from 2010 3-0 to the good against shrewsbury and lost 4-3
  • Not good in all honesty. Lookman was beating his man every time in the first half but didn't seem to make the right decision, was man marked in the second half and had little impact. Holmes played alright but kept coming infield to try and make something happen, losing the width of the team but fair enough given the central midfield is not up to scratch. Ajose really should have scored at least once, but we didn't create enough to deserve a win against a compact unit who shut us out comfortably in the second half. Fair play to Rudd, who came over and talked to the fans at the end, something along the lines of 'let's stick together, we'll come good'. It's obvious what is needed, two creative midfielders, another striker, another winger. Will it happen? Doubt it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if the senior snag enemy team and Roland ever do a financial analysis.

If we do this (no new players in), we will get no more season ticket holders, worse sponsorship, no marginal gains in ground from catering, no programme sales, maybe relegation but certainly not promotion. Also extra policing codes very expensive as would be points deductions.

If we do that (four new quality players in that will carry sell on) no risks on the up front costs, will win games, will increase season tickets and in ground spend, will reduce security fees, could get promoted.

BRING OUT THE TAPE, I have a hole that needs mending.
  • Greenie said:

not been to either game so far this season so will reserve judgement until after Saturday..........

however , I will say that this is the lowest I have ever felt supporting this club , There are so may things wrong about the team I dont know where to start- lack of creativity, no squad depth, too many youngsters/too many aging players ( how many players in their prime do we have, ie between the ages of 25-30)

Firstly I have lived on the s/r London & Kent border all my life (Bexley, Dartford,Gravesend,....) and have spent many years commuting into London. On Monday I had to see a client in E London. Stratford to be precise. Usually I drive to appts but this time I thought I would try the train. couldn't believe it. it took just 11 mins to get there from Ebbsfleet !! it takes that long to get to Dartford from nearby Gravesend ffs

that then led to the second point........the Olympic park - mores specifically, West Ham,. Couldn't believe how close it was to the station I have a premiership ground virtually on my doorstep - no parking problems, no train delays

Classy.
    Just for the record =

started supporting 1976
    season ticket holder since 1992
    Did our homes games at Selhurst (was one of the 839) & Upton Park -
    was at St Andrews,, Yeovil in the rain, Northwich Victoria in the Cup
    did all 46 League one games in 2010/11

so, I think I've paid my dues.
    So why are you going to West Ham?
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Classy.
    Just for the record =

started supporting 1976
    season ticket holder since 1992
    Did our homes games at Selhurst (was one of the 839) & Upton Park -
    was at St Andrews,, Yeovil in the rain, Northwich Victoria in the Cup
    did all 46 League one games in 2010/11

so, I think I've paid my dues.
    So why are you going to West Ham?
    He's taking a mulligan.
  • Fox 7 vs Fox 3?

Which was it?
  • not been to either game so far this season so will reserve judgement until after Saturday..........

Trust a train to cheer you up... ;)
  • LouisMend said:

seth plum said:

Listened to the Slade interview and it was poor from him.

There I am praising the pre Bury press conference now here I am less than a week later and huge doubts creep back in.

God knows what would have happened had Louis asked about Johnson, but in its own way Slade came across as from the same place as Katrien saying fans have to accept the owner does it his way, and Johnson telling fans what to do if they don't like it, and now Slade wagging the finger at Louis for being 'pessimistic', and not recognising the clubs brilliant use of patience.

They all seem to hate us, tetchy ticket office staff, football and non football staff criticising us, cameras, banning orders, blue jacket stewards taking out kids at the match, simply chite after chite piled up on more chite.

Right now I see the 'team' and the 'regime' as welded together. The only redeeming feature the football staff could show is winning matches and that has been well out of reach so far.

Anyway piss poor interview from Slade but not from Louis who was respectful and restrained.

Did ask about RoJo - BBC cut it off. Was rather uncomfortable but the quotes will be released in the SLP tomorrow.
    Louis
    Were you the well informed young man in the smoking area at half time?
    If so, I admire the way you countered the negativity of the bloke between us.
  • LouisMend said:

seth plum said:

Listened to the Slade interview and it was poor from him.

There I am praising the pre Bury press conference now here I am less than a week later and huge doubts creep back in.

God knows what would have happened had Louis asked about Johnson, but in its own way Slade came across as from the same place as Katrien saying fans have to accept the owner does it his way, and Johnson telling fans what to do if they don't like it, and now Slade wagging the finger at Louis for being 'pessimistic', and not recognising the clubs brilliant use of patience.

They all seem to hate us, tetchy ticket office staff, football and non football staff criticising us, cameras, banning orders, blue jacket stewards taking out kids at the match, simply chite after chite piled up on more chite.

Right now I see the 'team' and the 'regime' as welded together. The only redeeming feature the football staff could show is winning matches and that has been well out of reach so far.

Anyway piss poor interview from Slade but not from Louis who was respectful and restrained.

Did ask about RoJo - BBC cut it off. Was rather uncomfortable but the quotes will be released in the SLP tomorrow.
    Louis
    Were you the well informed young man in the smoking area at half time?
    If so, I admire the way you countered the negativity of the bloke between us.
    Not me must be mistaken I was in the press box