Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match: Cheltenham 1-0 Charlton

Comments

• cafctom said:

First time anything interesting has come out of a Russell Slade interview. 90% of the time he just talks in boring cliches.

Sorry, which bit was interesting?
  • anyone know what has happened to Ba?
  • anyone know what has happened to Ba?

Was wondering that too. Again, far from perfect but has some dynamism (for better and for worse) that we could desperately use in midfield.
  • not been to either game so far this season so will reserve judgement until after Saturday..........

however , I will say that this is the lowest I have ever felt supporting this club , There are so may things wrong about the team I dont know where to start- lack of creativity, no squad depth, too many youngsters/too many aging players ( how many players in their prime do we have, ie between the ages of 25-30)

I learnt something new this week....in fact, 2.

Firstly I have lived on the s/r London & Kent border all my life (Bexley, Dartford,Gravesend,....) and have spent many years commuting into London. On Monday I had to see a client in E London. Stratford to be precise. Usually I drive to appts but this time I thought I would try the train. couldn't believe it. it took just 11 mins to get there from Ebbsfleet !! it takes that long to get to Dartford from nearby Gravesend ffs

that then led to the second point........the Olympic park - mores specifically, West Ham,. Couldn't believe how close it was to the station I have a premiership ground virtually on my doorstep - no parking problems, no train delays
    and (I would expect) plenty of available tickets.

sorry chaps,,,,I know where I will be going if we sink any lower.
  • edited August 2016
    Note to Russell Slade! Charlton teams have always tried to play football on the deck not wack it and hope long ball out from the back!! We didn't even play like that when we had the 6'4 Carl Leaburn!!!!! Playing the ball high from defence to Ajose and Hanlan is clearly a ridiculous thing to do, your at Leyton Orient or Yeovil now mate !!
  • I just remembered that we were playing tonight. Not surprised we lost and not all that bothered about the League Cup. We must win on Saturday though.
  • I know we don't cups but tonight is a new low. Slade has to put a positive spin on the present situation but who is he trying to convince? He might be happy trying to keep us in the third tier of English football but I have higher ambitions for my team. He accuses the interviewer of being pessimistic, it's hard to see where Slade can get his optimism from.
    He needs reminding, we haven't worried the opposition in two competitive games let alone scored a goal.
    He talks,(over the last few weeks), of multiple players in, then about adding a player and then about we want a player but the deal takes longer than expected. Who's he kidding, players stall on deals to see if the is interest from other clubs and if there is I suspect Charlton won't be their choice.
    The football is utter crap under this mob and looks likely to continue until either they go or they genuinely learn from their " mistakes ", which I doubt is possible as they wouldn't know what mistakes have been made.
    I want Slade to be successful here, it's our football club ffs but he ain't up to it and none of his predecessors were. It's an impossible job, you could have Jugen Klopp or Ricky Tomlenson or both doing their best but the result would be the same. if you haven't the means to do the job the job doesn't get done. Simple as that.

• watched in despair as fairly on in first half a ball was whacked long over the top for Ajose who was being marked by a defender about a foot taller. All he could do was run behind in the hope that defender missed it - he didn't!

The disallowed 'goal' early on looked ok to me and those around me.
    Hanlon looked good prospect.

So disenchanted with the regime these days that couldn't really summon up much enthusiasm for the game.
    Thought the negative chanting at the end from a section of the support when the players came over was uncalled for though.
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:

seth plum said:

Listened to the Slade interview and it was poor from him.

There I am praising the pre Bury press conference now here I am less than a week later and huge doubts creep back in.

God knows what would have happened had Louis asked about Johnson, but in its own way Slade came across as from the same place as Katrien saying fans have to accept the owner does it his way, and Johnson telling fans what to do if they don't like it, and now Slade wagging the finger at Louis for being 'pessimistic', and not recognising the clubs brilliant use of patience.

They all seem to hate us, tetchy ticket office staff, football and non football staff criticising us, cameras, banning orders, blue jacket stewards taking out kids at the match, simply chite after chite piled up on more chite.

Right now I see the 'team' and the 'regime' as welded together. The only redeeming feature the football staff could show is winning matches and that has been well out of reach so far.

Anyway piss poor interview from Slade but not from Louis who was respectful and restrained.

Did ask about RoJo - BBC cut it off. Was rather uncomfortable but the quotes will be released in the SLP tomorrow.
    Can't wait for that Louis!
  • I'm supposed to be getting up at 5.30 tomorrow, but for some reason I feel like getting absolutely wasted.

Ring in sick. Say d & v all night
  • Oh and can I remind you all we have a top 6 budget...
  • edited August 2016

I honestly feel that the end game has started. Bring it on.

This cannot and must not go on for much longer. The time for playing by the book is over, this club is rotten to the core, we know it, the players know it and the football world know it. Time for drastic action now.

So what your saying is us nice Charlton fans need to get much nastier?
  • Listen like I said in another post the other day. If we do go out the league at the end of next season I will wear a burka and post it on Charlton Life. You can quote me on that.
  • At least we can concentrate on the league !!!!! Complete poppycock. From Chairman , CEO, directors, manager. We are like a sinking ship at the moment. So glad I'm not going until this shit has gone from our once great club. Bury and now Cheltenham. Humiliating. We are and will be the laughing stock unless this gets sorted sooner rather than later. Russell sort it out or walk.
  • uie2 said:

I honestly feel that the end game has started. Bring it on.

This cannot and must not go on for much longer. The time for playing by the book is over, this club is rotten to the core, we know it, the players know it and the football world know it. Time for drastic action now.

So what your saying is us nice Charlton fans need to get much nastier?
    Simply yes
  • Under this regime. Let's face it in layman's terms. Charlton are fucked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably did everything right in the second half until we needed to pull the proverbial trigger. Composure in front of goal proved the achillies heal.
  • Slade talks absolute nothing's in his interview , then gets rude when called out!
    Simple as...
    He can talk the talk, but he's yet to walk the walk - whether through fault of his own or not!
  • It Wasn't a decent cup tie, we didn't create enough chances, midfield needs to be more creative.

Poor performance and we just didn't look like scoring.
  • Slade has achieved little in his managerial career and sadly that is set to continue, although don't expect him to be here long.

If you can't take the heat Russ...........

• Well she promised us a 'new era' and we certainly have that.

From toxic, incompetent, vindictive and dishonest to new depths of failure and alienation perhaps never before plumbed in the history of English association football.

Ms Nightmeire, I salute you.

PS She must be loving the vitriol now being directed at Slade a man given a ten bob note and a few geriatrics and kids and left to build a football team. It's almost as though her and Roly might have planned this entire scenario just as an act of petty vengeance for fans being critical of her.

• Russell Slade's reaction to the game according to the OS:

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-russell-slade-cheltenham-town-ezri-konsa-brandon-hanlan-3237282.aspx

Amusing to see it reported that we "Set out our stool..."
    Maybe we can assume that Russell admits we are turd?
  • edited August 2016
    However low we've been in the football league, I think we'll probably finish lower under this incompetent and evil regime. A record low finish, in the relegation zone of League One. I still do Charlton news updates regularly on Weibo but I rarely mention us in a football conversation in real life these days because honestly speaking, the past year's performances have been a constant embarrassment. I don't want my colleagues, parents or friends to know how bad we are now and how low we've fallen...